1825 19 2018-2-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans0889d554
lvl.2
Flight distance : 241339 ft
United States

DJI,

In the past 2 years, I have purchased an Osmo Mobile, a Mavic Pro, a DJI Goggle set, a Phantom P4 Pro and 2 Crystalsky units, a 5.5 and a 7.85. I am what some would call a very loyal customer and customers like me are directly responsible for your success and profits in the marketplace. Not long ago you took the "Download Offline Maps" feature off my Crystalsky software with no explaintation, reason or apology. Now, You have severaly hampered me from using your products as they were designed. Why have you done this and treated your loyal customers so bad and when will you fix your mistake?

Please respond with truth....Thank you
2018-2-18
Use props
CKE ENTERPRISES
lvl.1
United States

Received CS Ultra today, updating to new version firmware 5.0 and mmust say internet wifi is VERY fast, download is blazing, unit is NOT hot, update is going perfectly in Android and so far so good
2018-2-21
Use props
Forestjim
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6606519 ft
  • >>>
Australia

CKE ENTERPRISES Posted at 2018-2-21 11:10
Received CS Ultra today, updating to new version firmware 5.0 and mmust say internet wifi is VERY fast, download is blazing, unit is NOT hot, update is going perfectly in Android and so far so good

Great News.

The CS's were only getting hot when using DJI Go4. Just keep your eye on it while flying.

Enjoy
2018-2-21
Use props
CKE ENTERPRISES
lvl.1
United States

I noticed this myself today not huge difference in heat but there is a slight difference

Will monitor heat during app usage and update over the weekend
Thanks for the advice
2018-2-21
Use props
Forestjim
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6606519 ft
  • >>>
Australia

CKE ENTERPRISES Posted at 2018-2-21 19:37
I noticed this myself today not huge difference in heat but there is a slight difference

Will monitor heat during app usage and update over the weekend

Goodo Mate... that’s sound positive
When they got hot they go real hot.
2018-2-22
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

For me the lingering doubts still exist with the Ultra, the failures don't happen from cumulative use and you can't do anything to prevent them like turning down the brightness or monitoring the temperature.

It's pot luck if it happens , having a older or newer Ultra does not change the risk, it might give way 1 day after the 1 year warranty is  over.

A strategy would be buy and sell a Ultra every 6 months, to give you warranty coverage, the loss on sale would the be insurance premium
2018-2-22
Use props
Kleetus
lvl.2
United States

lannes Posted at 2018-2-22 04:45
For me the lingering doubts still exist with the Ultra, the failures don't happen from cumulative use and you can't do anything to prevent them like turning down the brightness or monitoring the temperature.

It's pot luck if it happens , having a older or newer Ultra does not change the risk, it might give way 1 day after the 1 year warranty is  over.

Thank you for your thoughts. I have the 5.5 and 7.85 (1000's) and haven't had any overheating problems. However, my issue currently is not with heat but software and the lack of offline maps. This silence from DJI is almost deafening.
2018-2-22
Use props
lannes
First Officer
Flight distance : 4465 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Kleetus Posted at 2018-2-22 06:06
Thank you for your thoughts. I have the 5.5 and 7.85 (1000's) and haven't had any overheating problems. However, my issue currently is not with heat but software and the lack of offline maps. This silence from DJI is almost deafening.

I just use a 4g myfi or hot spot a phone to get around the off line maps issue.

I suspect the "mapbox" does not support map caching
2018-2-22
Use props
Kleetus
lvl.2
United States

lannes Posted at 2018-2-22 08:15

Thank you for your input.That is a good workaround if you have:
     1. A good hotspot device.
     2. Good data coverage by the local cellular provider.
But, it is not a fix for their blunder.
2018-2-22
Use props
CKE ENTERPRISES
lvl.1
United States

Ultra Crystalsky still overheats, used mine for less than 20 minutes yesterday and it died during flight, almost lost my drone and lucky I was able to see it and land
2018-2-23
Use props
TheMann58
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

CKE ENTERPRISES Posted at 2018-2-23 04:43
Ultra Crystalsky still overheats, used mine for less than 20 minutes yesterday and it died during flight, almost lost my drone and lucky I was able to see it and land

CKE Enterprises,

Sorry for your troubles.

To help DJI and your fellow Crystalsky Ultra Bright owners understand under what circumstances these overheating issues are occurring, please confirm the following:
1) The total estimated minutes your Crystalsky Ultra Bright (UB) screen was turned on before it overheated including pre-flight time
2) The ambient temperature during your flight
3) Minutes Crystalsky screen was exposed to direct sunlight, if any, prior to overheating
4) Your Crystalsky UB firmware version
5) Crystalsky UB Build Date

To determine the build date of your CS UB go to:  http://tools.retroroms.info/
Put the serial number which is under the QR label in the battery compartment into the DJI serial # decoder.

Thanks!
2018-2-23
Use props
CKE ENTERPRISES
lvl.1
United States

No worries, we're all here to learn by our trials and errors with the same goals of consistently moving forward in technology

My Ultra was turned on indoors for about 15 minutes to accomplish all updates including software and firmware

As others including a really cool member Lannes has stated, the monitor doesn't start excelling in heat until the DJI app is started as mine did too

After all updates I went outside, launched after GPS verification and flew for about 18 minutes and the screen went black, gone, toast...preflight time including updates was about 32 minutes 18 for flight and about 15 for updates...

My Ultra is already in the box ready for pickup by ups and testing the high brightness is under way in every possible way

Hope this helps
2018-2-24
Use props
CKE ENTERPRISES
lvl.1
United States

I also ensured the fan or fans came on and functioned as the heat increased

2018-2-24
Use props
TheMann58
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

CKE ENTERPRISES Posted at 2018-2-24 17:52
No worries, we're all here to learn by our trials and errors with the same goals of consistently moving forward in technology

My Ultra was turned on indoors for about 15 minutes to accomplish all updates including software and firmware

What was the build date of your  Crystalsky UB (to get this, input your Crystalsky UB serial # in the retroroms decoder website)?  

My Crystalsky UB, which was shipped from DJI in early DEC, was built on 17NOV2017 and has over a hundred operating hours so far with no backlight failure and no overheating messages while operating on the previous firmware. I have not upgraded to the most recent firmware yet as I want to maintain access to downloaded maps of Europe on my device for a trip there next week. Temps where I will be traveling will be below 0 degrees C, so overheating should not be an issue.
2018-2-25
Use props
Rickyber
lvl.4
Flight distance : 403488 ft
United States

TheMann58 Posted at 2018-2-25 15:35
What was the build date of your  Crystalsky UB (to get this, input your Crystalsky UB serial # in the retroroms decoder website)?  

My Crystalsky UB, which was shipped from DJI in early DEC, was built on 17NOV2017 and has over a hundred operating hours so far with no backlight failure and no overheating messages while operating on the previous firmware. I have not upgraded to the most recent firmware yet as I want to maintain access to downloaded maps of Europe on my device for a trip there next week. Temps where I will be traveling will be below 0 degrees C, so overheating should not be an issue.

Wow, I received my Crystal Sky 7.85 Ultra about two weeks ago in the mail. I still not have opened it and it is still in the shrink wrap.
I was waiting until the Spring when things are more colorful outside to try it out.

By checking the label on the side of the box, it looks like production was in January 2018.

What is the general consensus?
Keep it as planned or possibly send it back and wait for a better model?
2018-2-26
Use props
sitka_rn
lvl.1
Flight distance : 3107 ft
United States

My manufacture date was 27-October 2017  Total overheat and screen failure while in house... Unit on for a few minutes... severe heating... screen flickering and fading before it went black. ... Waiting for DJI support to replace unit(sent to California) .  Map issue is also a concern for me. I live in an area with very limited cell service in the places I fly. Mapbox is a real step backwards from the cached maps.   
2018-2-27
Use props
TheMann58
Second Officer
  • >>>
Germany

Rickyber Posted at 2018-2-26 08:23
Wow, I received my Crystal Sky 7.85 Ultra about two weeks ago in the mail. I still not have opened it and it is still in the shrink wrap.
I was waiting until the Spring when things are more colorful outside to try it out.

My GUESS is that yours was built after early issues with a bad lot of screen backlights.  One thing I can tell you is that I LOVE my DJI Crystalsky UB.  The screen brightness is phenomenal - game changing.  I will never go back to my iPad Pro or iPhone.  I can use the DJI Crystalsky in bright sunlight without a hood and see the screen clearly, and in the current less than 60-80 degree F weather in the US gulf coast, overheating is NOT an issue for me.  

However, it only makes sense that when hot Houston, TX weather returns in a few months, I will look for a hood solution to prevent overheating in direct summer sun.  I'm talking about the kind of heat and intense direct sunlight that causes an iPad Pro in direct sunlight to overheat and shutdown in two mintues. The Crystalsky is rated up to 105F, but in direct sunlight, flat glass surfaces can easily heat to 130F.  Some of the folks using the Crystalsky UB right now in hot weather (>90F) locations may already be seeing this need.  

Any third party offering a custom hood option for the 7.85" Crystalsky yet?
2018-2-27
Use props
Rickyber
lvl.4
Flight distance : 403488 ft
United States

TheMann58 Posted at 2018-2-27 14:06
My GUESS is that yours was built after early issues with a bad lot of screen backlights.  One thing I can tell you is that I LOVE my DJI Crystalsky UB.  The screen brightness is phenomenal - game changing.  I will never go back to my iPad Pro or iPhone.  I can use the DJI Crystalsky in bright sunlight without a hood and see the screen clearly, and in the current less than 60-80 degree F weather in the US gulf coast, overheating is NOT an issue for me.  

However, it only makes sense that when hot Houston, TX weather returns in a few months, I will look for a hood solution to prevent overheating in direct summer sun.  I'm talking about the kind of heat and intense direct sunlight that causes an iPad Pro in direct sunlight to overheat and shutdown in two mintues. The Crystalsky is rated up to 105F, but in direct sunlight, flat glass surfaces can easily heat to 130F.  Some of the folks using the Crystalsky UB right now in hot weather (>90F) locations may already be seeing this need.  

I would guess you could get an 8" tablet hood and maybe rig some Velcro on it.
2018-2-27
Use props
Akeeal_Spark
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7428 ft

United Kingdom

lannes Posted at 2018-2-22 08:15

You are wrong mapbox does support offline maps. It's dji that took off offline maps. I'm going back to an older version.

There is another way is by modding the app. Which I don't want to do, but thanks to the lazy dji developers! "Sarcasticly" thanks mate!
2018-3-3
Use props
Swedrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Forestjim Posted at 2018-2-21 17:09
Great News.

The CS's were only getting hot when using DJI Go4. Just keep your eye on it while flying.

Perfect for those cold days to keep the battery and your hands warm
2018-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules