Downward infrared sensor failure
190742 190742 2018-2-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2018-4-4 21:59
Susan, there are now a few drones with the same issue and we really would like to know whether there is a fix or if they need to be returned for repair.

Given trhat the P4P does not have a downward IR sensor, I would Not be concerned about it. Just more sloppy DJI code.
2018-4-4
Use props
GoneandDroneit
lvl.4
Flight distance : 11551627 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2018-4-4 22:17
Given trhat the P4P does not have a downward IR sensor, I would Not be concerned about it. Just more sloppy DJI code.

Hi geebax,  I thought this too but if the failure message appears and you land within 5 minutes then the landing is very hard . All good if if only has appeared within the first few minutes of a flight but towards the end , not so much ... also if you initate RTH , the unit does not land at the set home point accurately . I have tested this on five occasions and the unit would land 80 plus metres from set home point ...

All good if as mentioned this happens in the first few minutes of a flight but toward the end ... not so much .  I have just flown my unit again tonight and will be returning the craft tomorrow to the shop for a replacement ...

Have contacted dji and they say to send it in.....    have been and started this link in hope there may be some fix this end.  But no such luck
2018-4-4
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>

i've been occasionally getting this error too. I have no idea if it would have landed hard as I've hand caught it every time. I get the message, look up at the P4P and the rear LEDs are solid red. Immediately fly it back... attempt to land but stop inches above the ground. Then I fly it to hand, cycle power and it's back to flying normally again. I've seen it 4 times in 30 or 40 flights. Others have suggested it has no effect on flying (as there are no downward infrared sensors) however, I noticed the first time it happened that it did not slow it's descent when it got close to landing. So, I didn't land, I hand caught it. (This was due to the number of cracked shell posts I'd seen here) Each time I've seen it, I attempted the same landing and it is not controlling the speed of descent with the underside infrared sensors. Every normal flight, I can descend at full speed (stick pulled full back) and it will slow as it gets close to the ground. When the rear LEDs are red and this message appears, it does not react to it's proximity to the ground.

I'm a little miffed at myself that I didn't make note of when it started, what rev of firmware, how many flights etc... But there is a problem, and it does affect the ultrasonic sensors under the aircraft. I recently upgraded the firmware to the 0600 rev. As soon as I did I began having problems with the gimbal twitching when photos are taken with the camera button on the remote. It would actually smear the photo. I rolled the F/W back to 0300 and it stopped so that's where it is. Common to most of the bizarre problems we read about here, this is one DJI might or might not be looking into. We don't ever know because they always forward it to the engineers and thank us for our patience.

Jeff
2018-4-5
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

GoneandDroneit Posted at 2018-4-4 23:34
Hi geebax,  I thought this too but if the failure message appears and you land within 5 minutes then the landing is very hard . All good if if only has appeared within the first few minutes of a flight but towards the end , not so much ... also if you initate RTH , the unit does not land at the set home point accurately . I have tested this on five occasions and the unit would land 80 plus metres from set home point ...

All good if as mentioned this happens in the first few minutes of a flight but toward the end ... not so much .  I have just flown my unit again tonight and will be returning the craft tomorrow to the shop for a replacement ...

Yeah, I think it is a good idea to send it back.
2018-4-5
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft

Geebax Posted at 2018-4-4 22:17

Well it may be an incorrect message but there is certainly a problem as the drone can't detect the distance to the ground properly and the result is a heavy landing nor does the precision landing work as it is  no longer able to find the landing spot when the error occurs. I know that I can land manually but the point is that there is an electronic problem occurring and I would like to know what it is.
2018-4-5
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2018-4-5 17:56
Well it may be an incorrect message but there is certainly a problem as the drone can't detect the distance to the ground properly and the result is a heavy landing nor does the precision landing work as it is  no longer able to find the landing spot when the error occurs. I know that I can land manually but the point is that there is an electronic problem occurring and I would like to know what it is.

The downward sensors in the P4 are a vision system and an ultrasonic system as far as I know, but I don't have a P4 to be absolutely certain. If it is landing hard and cannot perform the precision landing, then most likely the vision sensors (cameras) are not working. The message is a furphy.
2018-4-5
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer

Geebax Posted at 2018-4-5 18:58
The downward sensors in the P4 are a vision system and an ultrasonic system as far as I know, but I don't have a P4 to be absolutely certain. If it is landing hard and cannot perform the precision landing, then most likely the vision sensors (cameras) are not working. The message is a furphy.

Thanks for that. I'll do a calibration of the vision sensors and see if that makes a difference.
2018-4-5
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2018-4-5 21:56
Thanks for that. I'll do a calibration of the vision sensors and see if that makes a difference.

Yep, I think that would be a good next step.
2018-4-5
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>

Geebax Posted at 2018-4-5 18:58

You are correct, but I believe the Ultrasonic sensors are what’s not working when the infrared failed message appears. Not totally sure about that though.

2018-4-6
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

GoneandDroneit Posted at 2018-4-3 03:48
Hi dji Susan , I have done this on three seperate times in emails to dji support .....

I am on here now just to see if there was anyway this could be fixed this end of the line ...

Thanks for the clarification. Could you tell us your ticket number when you contacted our support? I'd like to look into the exact status.

Also, please refer my reply in 31# and offer the flight records and flight log for analysis. Our engineers would like to find out the exact reason and see whether it can be addressed in a remote way. Thanks for your cooperation.
2018-4-6
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

marciano Posted at 2018-4-3 08:04
I still have this issue after reinstalling last firmware from Assistant.
iPad Mini 4 with the latest iOS update, also GO4.
Back lights are solid red.  Flight is okay. I do not land, I catch it by hand.

Thanks for heading up. It is recommended to upload to Google Drive or Dropbox, then share the link with us here. We'll collect regularly and forward to the right team for review.
2018-4-6
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Jenee 2 Posted at 2018-4-4 21:59
Susan, there are now a few drones with the same issue and we really would like to know whether there is a fix or if they need to be returned for repair.

Hi Jenee, our engineers are still working on this. More data will be helpful to locate the current status. If you encounter the same reminder, please kindly export the data for analysis, thank you in advance!
2018-4-6
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

ozquuu Posted at 2018-4-4 02:21
I have the same problem with Phantom 4 pro. Downward infrared sensor failure.

Sorry to hear about this. Could you refer my message in 31# and export the data we need for analysis? Thanks so much!
2018-4-6
Use props
GoneandDroneit
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-6 20:50
Thanks for the clarification. Could you tell us your ticket number when you contacted our support? I'd like to look into the exact status.

Also, please refer my reply in 31# and offer the flight records and flight log for analysis. Our engineers would like to find out the exact reason and see whether it can be addressed in a remote way. Thanks for your cooperation.

I have already exported the files via djiassiant2  and attached the files to the previous email ..
I have since now returned the drone to the shop and got an instant replacement of the same model . Have flown it now a total of 3hrs and not a single failure message appeared , so fingers crossed it was related to the unit that was returned
2018-4-6
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

GoneandDroneit Posted at 2018-4-6 21:22
I have already exported the files via djiassiant2  and attached the files to the previous email ..
I have since now returned the drone to the shop and got an instant replacement of the same model . Have flown it now a total of 3hrs and not a single failure message appeared , so fingers crossed it was related to the unit that was returned

Thanks for the clarification. If so, would you mind telling us your ticket number when you attached the files? We still would like to find out the reason and help more users. Appreciate your time.
2018-4-6
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-6 20:55
Hi Jenee, our engineers are still working on this. More data will be helpful to locate the current status. If you encounter the same reminder, please kindly export the data for analysis, thank you in advance!

Hi Susan, I have the required files but don't know where to send them to.  I have sent you a PM with the link to the files so hope that works.
The other thing that I noticed is that when I used Assistant 2 to access the log files, there were none after 25th March 2018. I also saw that the Flight Records from my ipad now have a sub folder called MCDatFlightRecords which has dat files from the 25th March 2018 to current. So are the dat files now being stored with the flight records on the tablet/phone and no longer on the sd card in the drone?
2018-4-6
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Jenee 2 Posted at 2018-4-6 22:27
Hi Susan, I have the required files but don't know where to send them to.  I have sent you a PM with the link to the files so hope that works.
The other thing that I noticed is that when I used Assistant 2 to access the log files, there were none after 25th March 2018. I also saw that the Flight Records from my ipad now have a sub folder called MCDatFlightRecords which has dat files from the 25th March 2018 to current. So are the dat files now being stored with the flight records on the tablet/phone and no longer on the sd card in the drone?

I've received your message in PM, and the link works well, thanks so much! Yes, the lite flight log will be saved in the mobile device now, but the complete flight log will be still saved in the aircraft.
2018-4-6
Use props
GoneandDroneit
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-6 22:23
Thanks for the clarification. If so, would you mind telling us your ticket number when you attached the files? We still would like to find out the reason and help more users. Appreciate your time.

hi Susan , please let me know if any new on your end regarding this .. thanks for the follow up messages
2018-4-7
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-6 23:30
I've received your message in PM, and the link works well, thanks so much! Yes, the lite flight log will be saved in the mobile device now, but the complete flight log will be still saved in the aircraft.

I successfully calibrated the VPS but it made no difference as I still received the warning message when flying today. I can confirm that both rear lights change to a solid red and stay like that after the warning message so there is definitely a fault there somewhere.
2018-4-7
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

GoneandDroneit Posted at 2018-4-7 00:04
[view_image]hi Susan , please let me know if any new on your end regarding this .. thanks for the follow up messages

Sorry, I'm a little confused. There is only one screenshot of your last message on this post, right? As you mentioned above, the file was attached to the previous emails. I managed to get your email address via the forum info, had a quick look at the history and did not find the one you referred. Double checked, the email address you contacted is support.au@dji.com, right? If so, please kindly tell us the ticket number, we'll check and analyze. Alternatively, please upload the file to Google Drive or Dropbox, and share the link with us here. Thanks for your cooperation.
2018-4-9
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Jenee 2 Posted at 2018-4-7 19:04
I successfully calibrated the VPS but it made no difference as I still received the warning message when flying today. I can confirm that both rear lights change to a solid red and stay like that after the warning message so there is definitely a fault there somewhere.

Jenee, thanks for keeping us updated. Our engineers are reviewing these data, I'll keep follow up and update for you.
2018-4-9
Use props
GoneandDroneit
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-9 01:22
Sorry, I'm a little confused. There is only one screenshot of your last message on this post, right? As you mentioned above, the file was attached to the previous emails. I managed to get your email address via the forum info, had a quick look at the history and did not find the one you referred. Double checked, the email address you contacted is , right? If so, please kindly tell us the ticket number, we'll check and analyze. Alternatively, please upload the file to Google Drive or Dropbox, and share the link with us here. Thanks for your cooperation.

No the email was not sent to support.au@dji.com

It was sent to support@dji.com

There were three emails and two were replied to as I also asked another question .

I look fwd to hearing what the outcome is of this fault/failure then is

Thankyou for your patience

2018-4-9
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>

Geebax Posted at 2018-2-18 22:38
The downward facing sensors do not function at all when the aircraft is above about 3 Metres, they are part of the Vision Position Sensing system (VPS), so at 118 Metres, they would not have been working anyway. The message asking you to land as soon as possible is rather pointless. This may just be a glitch in the firmware, and you might be able to cure it by re-doing the last firmware upgrade. It also has nothing to do with having a filter on the camera either.

It actually works up to 10 meters.

I got that message yesterday as well. It probably came with bug 'fixes' upon the last firm ware.
Probably an irrelevant bug. I kept flying and nothing changed...
2018-4-9
Use props
lukaszpiech
lvl.2
Flight distance : 201844 ft
Poland

i got those errors today as well. Tried downgrading firmware, upgrading again. Change Ipad to iphone, still getting it
2018-4-9
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

GoneandDroneit Posted at 2018-4-9 01:46
No the email was not sent to

It was sent to

Actually, no matter whether the emails are sent to support@dji.com or support.au@dji.com, there will be ticket number automatically. I'm sorry I still did not find any info you mentioned above according to the forum info. Could you share the data on the Forum directly? If not, I'm afraid that I can not help you out without further data/confirmation. Sorry about this.
2018-4-9
Use props
GoneandDroneit
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-9 23:32
Actually, no matter whether the emails are sent to  or , there will be ticket number automatically. I'm sorry I still did not find any info you mentioned above according to the forum info. Could you share the data on the Forum directly? If not, I'm afraid that I can not help you out without further data/confirmation. Sorry about this.

Hi Susan , thanks for the reply , I was flying my unit again today and it happened again , when I get a chance I will upload the data and send it via pm to you if that’s okay then I will know it’s been received.   Thanks. Any news on this matter yet or still sorting through data ?
2018-4-9
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

lukaszpiech Posted at 2018-4-9 10:03
i got those errors today as well. Tried downgrading firmware, upgrading again. Change Ipad to iphone, still getting it

Thanks for heading up. Our engineers are aware of this and trying to locate the exact status. Could you refer my message in 31# and export the data for further analysis? Appreciate your time.
2018-4-9
Use props
lukaszpiech
lvl.2
Poland

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-9 23:36
Thanks for heading up. Our engineers are aware of this and trying to locate the exact status. Could you refer my message in 31# and export the data for further analysis? Appreciate your time.

Hi

Not sure I uploaded the right file but please check https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... Yt/view?usp=sharing

It actually happens every time I fly now.....
2018-4-10
Use props
marciano
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8748281 ft
Uruguay

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-6 20:51
Thanks for heading up. It is recommended to upload to Google Drive or Dropbox, then share the link with us here. We'll collect regularly and forward to the right team for review.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e0ajkt ... 3_13-21-51.DAT?dl=0
2018-4-10
Use props
GoneandDroneit
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

2018-4-10
Use props
GoneandDroneit
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-9 23:32
Actually, no matter whether the emails are sent to  or , there will be ticket number automatically. I'm sorry I still did not find any info you mentioned above according to the forum info. Could you share the data on the Forum directly? If not, I'm afraid that I can not help you out without further data/confirmation. Sorry about this.

Hi dji Susan m have just pm you the csv file.  Please let me know if this works.     Thanks very much for your help with this
2018-4-10
Use props
GoneandDroneit
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Latest photo was from Tuesday 10th April. Occurred yet again when doing a panorama photo of 21 photos horizontal .   When the unit was close and above the four solid led lights were visible . The unit was flown for another 10 minutes after this and the landing was smooth . An absolute from this on my end now is that once this failure message appears , if flown for longer than 5 mins then the landing will be fine . But if you land with8ng five minutes , watch out and expect a hard landing not matter how careful you are with it , the unit will drop 2metres or so from the ground with no warning if attempting a landing ..   hope this helps somewhat to those reading and this .
2018-4-10
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

GoneandDroneit Posted at 2018-4-10 12:15
Latest photo was from Tuesday 10th April. Occurred yet again when doing a panorama photo of 21 photos horizontal .   When the unit was close and above the four solid led lights were visible . The unit was flown for another 10 minutes after this and the landing was smooth . An absolute from this on my end now is that once this failure message appears , if flown for longer than 5 mins then the landing will be fine . But if you land with8ng five minutes , watch out and expect a hard landing not matter how careful you are with it , the unit will drop 2metres or so from the ground with no warning if attempting a landing ..   hope this helps somewhat to those reading and this .

I wonder if the latest incarnation of DJI Go 4 for the iOS devices V4.2.12 will resolve this issue, some of the fixes mentioned are :-

'Simplified and reduced pop-up messages'

and

'General bug fixes'
2018-4-10
Use props
lukaszpiech
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Aardvark Posted at 2018-4-10 12:22
I wonder if the latest incarnation of DJI Go 4 for the iOS devices V4.2.12 will resolve this issue, some of the fixes mentioned are :-

'Simplified and reduced pop-up messages'

no it does not fix it, I am on this version and get those messages all the time.
Also - not sure it is related to the issue but it never happened before so there must be some correlation - often when I do Return to Home and Land in DJI GO 4, it is changing my exposure from M to A. It was not the case before, it only started probably the same time as the sensor error
2018-4-10
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

lukaszpiech Posted at 2018-4-10 07:57
Hi

Not sure I uploaded the right file but please check https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZZkNP9LD0YLYa9kmgVr3VspknfLkcmYt/view?usp=sharing

Well received, thank you! This has been forwarded to our engineers for analysis. I'll keep follow up.
2018-4-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

marciano Posted at 2018-4-10 08:22
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e0ajktr6m0b8niq/DJI_ASSISTANT_EXPORT_FILE_2018-04-03_13-21-51.DAT?dl=0

Received, thanks! The file has been downloaded and forwarded to our engineers for review.
2018-4-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

GoneandDroneit Posted at 2018-4-10 12:10
Hi dji Susan m have just pm you the csv file.  Please let me know if this works.     Thanks very much for your help with this

I've received the link you sent in PM, but we do not support to analyze the data from the third-party software. Therefore, please send us the original DAT file if applicable, thanks!
2018-4-11
Use props
lukaszpiech
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-11 02:02
Received, thanks! The file has been downloaded and forwarded to our engineers for review.

No problem. Now i have it often, so if you need more data - just let me know
2018-4-11
Use props
GoneandDroneit
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

2018-4-11
Use props
GoneandDroneit
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

So .... the failure message appeared again ... have sent a pm to dji Susan with dji file ...   

This failure message appeared within the first three minutes of flight , something that hasn’t happened at such a early time within the flight .. flew drone overhead and saw four solid red lights ,   Pressed okay to the failure message and then flew for another 15 minutes , after then minutes of flight flew drone overhead again and the fours solid red lights were not showing now at this time .

Landed after 25mins in flight and not a hard landing ....
2018-4-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules