Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Downward infrared sensor failure
190742 190742 2018-2-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Jenee 2
Captain
Flight distance : 7852129 ft

GoneandDroneit Posted at 2018-4-11 15:12
So .... the failure message appeared again ... have sent a pm to dji Susan with dji file ...   

This failure message appeared within the first three minutes of flight , something that hasn’t happened at such a early time within the flight .. flew drone overhead and saw four solid red lights ,   Pressed okay to the failure message and then flew for another 15 minutes , after then minutes of flight flew drone overhead again and the fours solid red lights were not showing now at this time .

It is hard to tell exactly what the bug is because I have both OK'd and cancelled the message and sometimes after flying for a while the red light will go green again but most times they stay red.  I just hope there is a solution, otherwise I will want to send mine back.
2018-4-11
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

GoneandDroneit Posted at 2018-4-11 15:12
So .... the failure message appeared again ... have sent a pm to dji Susan with dji file ...   

This failure message appeared within the first three minutes of flight , something that hasn’t happened at such a early time within the flight .. flew drone overhead and saw four solid red lights ,   Pressed okay to the failure message and then flew for another 15 minutes , after then minutes of flight flew drone overhead again and the fours solid red lights were not showing now at this time .

The link needs authorization, I've sent the request, please check when you receive it.
2018-4-13
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

lukaszpiech Posted at 2018-4-11 03:00
No problem. Now i have it often, so if you need more data - just let me know

You are so kind. We'll let you know if we need more data.
2018-4-13
Use props
GoneandDroneit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11551627 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-13 02:35
The link needs authorization, I've sent the request, please check when you receive it.

Have open the file then for your viewing through google drive , please let me know if this works then , also I have more data now as has happened also the last three flight , if I can help out please let me know.
2018-4-13
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain

GoneandDroneit Posted at 2018-4-13 16:51
Have open the file then for your viewing through google drive , please let me know if this works then , also I have more data now as has happened also the last three flight , if I can help out please let me know.

The problem seems to be getting worse as I have it on every flight now and the rear lights just stay on red.
2018-4-13
Use props
GoneandDroneit
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2018-4-13 21:19
The problem seems to be getting worse as I have it on every flight now and the rear lights just stay on red.

Hi jenee2 , same here !!  Every flight this week the unit comes up with the failure message . I’ve got sick of posting the screenshots on here.  Haha . I have updated the dji go 4 app , refreshed via dji assistance , upgraded/downgraded . Used iPad , used Samsung phone note8 .   So via all this , to me I believe is a direct dji issue amd not an external component , eg ios. Android ...

Also same as you jenee2, the lights now stay on red throughout the duration of the flight after the failure message now . Still find it weird we have the option to ok or cancel an failure warning ...
2018-4-13
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain

GoneandDroneit Posted at 2018-4-13 22:38
Hi jenee2 , same here !!  Every flight this week the unit comes up with the failure message . I’ve got sick of posting the screenshots on here.  Haha . I have updated the dji go 4 app , refreshed via dji assistance , upgraded/downgraded . Used iPad , used Samsung phone note8 .   So via all this , to me I believe is a direct dji issue amd not an external component , eg ios. Android ...

Also same as you jenee2, the lights now stay on red throughout the duration of the flight after the failure message now . Still find it weird we have the option to ok or cancel an failure warning ...

Well I am going to give it a few more days and if there is no solution from DJI then I am going to start a ticket to have it returned for repair. To me there is an obvious problem in some component and the way it lands heavy when the error occurs seems to suggest it can’t determine the correct distance to the ground. I only have warranty for a couple more months so I want it resolved sooner rather than later.
2018-4-14
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain

GoneandDroneit Posted at 2018-4-13 22:38
Hi jenee2 , same here !!  Every flight this week the unit comes up with the failure message . I’ve got sick of posting the screenshots on here.  Haha . I have updated the dji go 4 app , refreshed via dji assistance , upgraded/downgraded . Used iPad , used Samsung phone note8 .   So via all this , to me I believe is a direct dji issue amd not an external component , eg ios. Android ...

Also same as you jenee2, the lights now stay on red throughout the duration of the flight after the failure message now . Still find it weird we have the option to ok or cancel an failure warning ...

Well I am going to give it a few more days and if there is no solution from DJI then I am going to start a ticket to have it returned for repair. To me there is an obvious problem in some component and the way it lands heavy when the error occurs seems to suggest it can’t determine the correct distance to the ground. I only have warranty for a couple more months so I want it resolved sooner rather than later.
2018-4-14
Use props
GoneandDroneit
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-13 02:35

Hello dji Susan , any news on this issue as of yet or are the engineers still reviewing data ?   Did you get the flight log then sent ?   
2018-4-16
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

GoneandDroneit Posted at 2018-4-13 16:51

It seems not. I still cannot access the link... Could you send us the unencrypted link directly?
2018-4-16
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-16 03:57
It seems not. I still cannot access the link... Could you send us the unencrypted link directly?

Susan, I have just seen that this identical error message has shown up on a Mavic Pro.
This sort of indicates to me that either the last releases of firmware for both the Mavic and P4Pro had something additional inserted in the code to capture this error or there is some additional code in the GO 4 app.
Or there is some component common to both Mavics and Phantoms which is developing a fault.
2018-4-16
Use props
GoneandDroneit
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2018-4-16 20:37
Susan, I have just seen that this identical error message has shown up on a Mavic Pro.
This sort of indicates to me that either the last releases of firmware for both the Mavic and P4Pro had something additional inserted in the code to capture this error or there is some additional code in the GO 4 app.
Or there is some component common to both Mavics and Phantoms which is developing a fault.

Hi jenee2,   I have a new phantom 4 obsidian only five days old and the dreaded failure message appeared the last three days on six flighgs  !!!!  The message has only come up when using pano mode of the 21 photos, if I fly it and not take a pano then I have yet to see the failure message.   Does your messages appear when using pano mode by any chance ??   
2018-4-17
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain

GoneandDroneit Posted at 2018-4-17 02:54
Hi jenee2,   I have a new phantom 4 obsidian only five days old and the dreaded failure message appeared the last three days on six flighgs  !!!!  The message has only come up when using pano mode of the 21 photos, if I fly it and not take a pano then I have yet to see the failure message.   Does your messages appear when using pano mode by any chance ??

No, I still get the message even if I don't take any photos or video. The guy with the Mavic who has the exact same error sent his back to have the sensors replaced but that did not fix his.
I am of the opinion that some additional code has been inserted in the most recent firmware versions or GO 4 app that is detecting a certain problem.
The thing that worries me is that the message says to land immediately which indicates something critical has a fault. I don't really feel comfortable flying it anymore as this may be the unexplained reason why some drones just seem to drop out of the sky with no reasonable explanation.
2018-4-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2018-4-17 20:06
No, I still get the message even if I don't take any photos or video. The guy with the Mavic who has the exact same error sent his back to have the sensors replaced but that did not fix his.
I am of the opinion that some additional code has been inserted in the most recent firmware versions or GO 4 app that is detecting a certain problem.
The thing that worries me is that the message says to land immediately which indicates something critical has a fault. I don't really feel comfortable flying it anymore as this may be the unexplained reason why some drones just seem to drop out of the sky with no reasonable explanation.

Aircraft that 'drop out of the sky' almost always have a reasonable explanation for why it happened, if the flight log is posted. There are very few unexplainable episodes, and failure of sensors has never, in my recollection, been one of the reasons for it happening.
2018-4-17
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain

Geebax Posted at 2018-4-17 20:58
Aircraft that 'drop out of the sky' almost always have a reasonable explanation for why it happened, if the flight log is posted. There are very few unexplainable episodes, and failure of sensors has never, in my recollection, been one of the reasons for it happening.

I am not sure it is a sensor failure. Another user had the identical message on a Mavic Pro recently, sent it away to have the sensors replaced and it did not fix the issue. Still gets the error message.
2018-4-17
Use props
lukaszpiech
lvl.1
Flight distance : 201844 ft
United Kingdom

Can we get DJI to officially coment what is going on? More and more people are reporting this, with brand new and used drones. I do not believe all of a sudden so many sensors broke
2018-4-17
Use props
GoneandDroneit
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2018-4-17 20:58
Aircraft that 'drop out of the sky' almost always have a reasonable explanation for why it happened, if the flight log is posted. There are very few unexplainable episodes, and failure of sensors has never, in my recollection, been one of the reasons for it happening.

First time for everything geebax, the worrying thing if this failure message happens and you land or have to land within around 5mins then from around 2metres in height the craft just drops , no matter what the operator tries to do for a normal soft landing ....  I assume the failure message hasn’t appeared whilst in flight with your drone yet ?
2018-4-17
Use props
GoneandDroneit
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Jenee 2 Posted at 2018-4-17 20:06

Cheers for the reply , I was just wondering that as a thought as thus far it has only appeared on mine whilst doing a pano , and to add that this happens every flight now ....
2018-4-17
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

GoneandDroneit Posted at 2018-4-17 23:21
First time for everything geebax, the worrying thing if this failure message happens and you land or have to land within around 5mins then from around 2metres in height the craft just drops , no matter what the operator tries to do for a normal soft landing ....  I assume the failure message hasn’t appeared whilst in flight with your drone yet ?

No, I have never seen the message. But why does the aircraft land heavily, if you land it manually and have a light touch it should be fine.
2018-4-18
Use props
GoneandDroneit
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Geebax Posted at 2018-4-18 15:41
No, I have never seen the message. But why does the aircraft land heavily, if you land it manually and have a light touch it should be fine.

Hi geebax , cheers for your message , when and if this happens to you with the failure message then would be all ears to hear your thoughts .... and in regards to landing , manual landing this occurs as mentioned in message . As would not post unless all avenues of options were exhausted with this failure message . It appears to becoming more of an issue as the days go on and if this appears on your drone then all ears .
2018-4-18
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

GoneandDroneit Posted at 2018-4-18 16:15
Hi geebax , cheers for your message , when and if this happens to you with the failure message then would be all ears to hear your thoughts .... and in regards to landing , manual landing this occurs as mentioned in message . As would not post unless all avenues of options were exhausted with this failure message . It appears to becoming more of an issue as the days go on and if this appears on your drone then all ears .

OK, as you appear to be telling me to p*ss off and not comment, I will do that. Remember, the aircraft does NOT have any downward facing infra-red sensors, only ultrasonic sensors.
2018-4-18
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain

Geebax Posted at 2018-4-18 16:30
OK, as you appear to be telling me to p*ss off and not comment, I will do that. Remember, the aircraft does NOT have any downward facing infra-red sensors, only ultrasonic sensors.

I understand about the sensors so it is possible that the message is incorrectly worded and I very much doubt that it is a sensor malfunction. The problem is that once you get the message, it is just not possible to do a soft landing as the drone can't seem to judge the distance to the ground and just thumps down no matter how careful you try to land softly.
2018-4-18
Use props
KedDK
Captain
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

Jenee 2 Posted at 2018-4-18 21:28
I understand about the sensors so it is possible that the message is incorrectly worded and I very much doubt that it is a sensor malfunction. The problem is that once you get the message, it is just not possible to do a soft landing as the drone can't seem to judge the distance to the ground and just thumps down no matter how careful you try to land softly.

I'm just curious, does it shut down the motors and bump or what does it do?

I have yet to see this error but i seem to be hit by other sensor error making it impossible to do anything but ascend/descend and yaw until OA is turned off, just started out of the blue yesterday.
2018-4-18
Use props
GoneandDroneit
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

KedDK Posted at 2018-4-18 22:33
I'm just curious, does it shut down the motors and bump or what does it do?

I have yet to see this error but i seem to be hit by other sensor error making it impossible to do anything but ascend/descend and yaw until OA is turned off, just started out of the blue yesterday.

Hi keddk.   If you happen to get the message then it is commonly and mainly the landing aspect that is of concern , if you land within 5 min or so once the message appears , the craft will still keep flying normally , but with all led lights solid red . And if you land then pretty much you have no control from around 2-3 metres before landing . No matter how you land , Manual, RTH initiated .. and no matter how careful you are ..   I hope this message doesn’t appear for you but if it does then another one joins the fray .
2018-4-18
Use props
KedDK
Captain
Denmark

GoneandDroneit Posted at 2018-4-18 22:57
Hi keddk.   If you happen to get the message then it is commonly and mainly the landing aspect that is of concern , if you land within 5 min or so once the message appears , the craft will still keep flying normally , but with all led lights solid red . And if you land then pretty much you have no control from around 2-3 metres before landing . No matter how you land , Manual, RTH initiated .. and no matter how careful you are ..   I hope this message doesn’t appear for you but if it does then another one joins the fray .

Yes all this i have got by reading the thread, what i don't get is how it land hard even if manually controlled, do the motors stop while AC is still in the air or what does it do?
2018-4-18
Use props
GoneandDroneit
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

KedDK Posted at 2018-4-18 23:03
Yes all this i have got by reading the thread, what i don't get is how it land hard even if manually controlled, do the motors stop while AC is still in the air or what does it do?

It would appear that the craft continues to decrease in altitude at rate of 5ms and without regard for the ground approaching . So my best explanation would be that the craft does not slow down within 2-3 metres of the ground , even if you hover at this height prior it will still decrease at full acceleration as if you were bringing it down full throttle from a height a lot higher . No matter what I’ve done if landed within five minutes of the failure message a hard landing will happen and yes you raise a great point KEDDK . I hope this answers somwhat ?
2018-4-18
Use props
KedDK
Captain
Denmark

GoneandDroneit Posted at 2018-4-18 23:09
It would appear that the craft continues to decrease in altitude at rate of 5ms and without regard for the ground approaching . So my best explanation would be that the craft does not slow down within 2-3 metres of the ground , even if you hover at this height prior it will still decrease at full acceleration as if you were bringing it down full throttle from a height a lot higher . No matter what I’ve done if landed within five minutes of the failure message a hard landing will happen and yes you raise a great point KEDDK . I hope this answers somwhat ?

thanks, yes i guess i get it now, what i read is that you can not brake the descend and slowly land it even i don't get why it should act like this.

I should also note that i always land it myself, only tried auto landing once when trying out the RTH feature, the whole process was way to slow to my patience and even so it landed to hard for my like. This was tested last summer when it was all new so is not related to this new issue.

Reports of this issues combined with this thread and this thread make me believe that something has gone wrong in the OA code at the latest release.
2018-4-18
Use props
GoneandDroneit
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

KedDK Posted at 2018-4-18 23:25
thanks, yes i guess i get it now, what i read is that you can not brake the descend and slowly land it even i don't get why it should act like this.

I should also note that i always land it myself, only tried auto landing once when trying out the RTH feature, the whole process was way to slow to my patience and even so it landed to hard for my like. This was tested last summer when it was all new so is not related to this new issue.

Although other people who have this may vary , I encounter this only and only when using pano mode and the 21 horizontal photos .  I flew three flights in a row when I didn’t do a pano and the fourth flight I did one it appeared with the first few minutes of the flight .
2018-4-18
Use props
KedDK
Captain
Denmark

GoneandDroneit Posted at 2018-4-18 23:37
Although other people who have this may vary , I encounter this only and only when using pano mode and the 21 horizontal photos .  I flew three flights in a row when I didn’t do a pano and the fourth flight I did one it appeared with the first few minutes of the flight .

I'll test this out within a few hours to see if i am able to get this error too.
Just hoping that i am able fly at all when the OA settings has been reset to default again
2018-4-18
Use props
GoneandDroneit
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

KedDK Posted at 2018-4-18 23:48
I'll test this out within a few hours to see if i am able to get this error too.
Just hoping that i am able fly at all when the OA settings has been reset to default again

It’s a strange one that’s for sure . As what normal failure message gives one a option to ok or cancel it ?? . I have literally exhausted every avenue possible to rid this message but yet it still occurs . Eg firmware upgrades downgrades , different devices . Different modes within each device ..
2018-4-19
Use props
KedDK
Captain
Denmark

GoneandDroneit Posted at 2018-4-19 00:04
It’s a strange one that’s for sure . As what normal failure message gives one a option to ok or cancel it ?? . I have literally exhausted every avenue possible to rid this message but yet it still occurs . Eg firmware upgrades downgrades , different devices . Different modes within each device ..

Well as said so done, almost ... Enabled all in OA / OA Advanced but the Precision Landing feature as this as far i remember require use of the auto takeoff that will bring it up several meters to record the landing location. While writing this i was thinking perhaps this would have been important to test too, have to do that later.

I took several of the different pano's but the vertical and idn't experience any issues like the one reported here, everything is updated to latest versions.
Does any of you with this issue have the Precision landing active, if so does it make any difference if disabled or eventually the whole OA / OA Advanced part turned off?

overview from app

overview from app

360 pano over burial mound near Stenstrup

Horisontal pano over burial mound near Stenstrup

Horisontal pano over burial mound near Stenstrup

2018-4-19
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain

KedDK Posted at 2018-4-19 02:11
Well as said so done, almost ... Enabled all in OA / OA Advanced but the Precision Landing feature as this as far i remember require use of the auto takeoff that will bring it up several meters to record the landing location. While writing this i was thinking perhaps this would have been important to test too, have to do that later.

I took several of the different pano's but the vertical and idn't experience any issues like the one reported here, everything is updated to latest versions.

The message appears with or without Precision Landing. I am with GoneandDroneit, tried everything but cannot stop the message happening. And it can happen without taking a photo or video or anything else. It can also appear at any time during the flight. I have only had this happen on a replacement drone I received recently so I am starting to believe that there is a faulty component. I am going to give it one more try tomorrow and if the problem persists then my drone is going to be returned for repair/replacement.
2018-4-19
Use props
KedDK
Captain
Denmark

Jenee 2 Posted at 2018-4-19 20:18
The message appears with or without Precision Landing. I am with GoneandDroneit, tried everything but cannot stop the message happening. And it can happen without taking a photo or video or anything else. It can also appear at any time during the flight. I have only had this happen on a replacement drone I received recently so I am starting to believe that there is a faulty component. I am going to give it one more try tomorrow and if the problem persists then my drone is going to be returned for repair/replacement.

I think you're right, was out later and had all sensors enabled took a lot of the different panos again without anything like this error showing up. A lot of strange errors listed in the Popup log mostly the weak GPS, breaking now and something about the light to weak for the rear sensors even we had sunshine all day.

Best of luck to you who have this one.
2018-4-19
Use props
lukaszpiech
lvl.1
Flight distance : 201844 ft
Poland

can i just say - this is silly - there is a failure in DJI app or something and all we got from DJi was a request to capture logs. DJI -what is the deal here???
2018-4-22
Use props
Eric13
Captain
Flight distance : 13430925 ft
  • >>>

To me it seems there is too much excitement about this error message.
I keep getting it as well and I happily continue flying ignoring it. Just click it away.
It'll be gone with the next update - only for further bugs coming in ;-)
2018-4-22
Use props
Dex
lvl.4
Flight distance : 814767 ft
Australia

I've been having the same issue since the last firmware update, tried a recalibration of the downward sensors, same issue.
2018-4-22
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain

Eric13 Posted at 2018-4-22 14:26
To me it seems there is too much excitement about this error message.
I keep getting it as well and I happily continue flying ignoring it. Just click it away.
It'll be gone with the next update - only for further bugs coming in ;-)

I am not sure I agree with you on this one. I sort of think that they may have included some additional code in the last update to flag a potential component error. It may be that there are a number of units which have a faulty component and the message is a warning that something is not quite right. There have been some drone crashes for which there has been no obvious reason for the crash so perhaps this is the reason for this new message.
2018-4-22
Use props
fans3942e4af
lvl.1
Flight distance : 87933 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Hi friends i text to italy i ha e the same problem of downward infrared sensor. Someone have solved? Please helpm me. Tks
2018-4-27
Use props
fans3942e4af
lvl.1
Flight distance : 87933 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Hi are you solved?
2018-4-27
Use props
yakulttai
First Officer