P4P Compass Calibration
1881 17 2018-2-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansfe2c9456
lvl.3
United States

When I had my P2 Vision + I would Cal the compass.

With my first flight on Sunday, I didn't do it, but all went fine.  The status page displayed everything was normal...  Is it necessary to calibrate the compass?  I believe the totorial videos don't mention doing so?

DJI change the firmware, so that we can keep the front red LEDs on if we desire!  Perhaps have them blink if one is recording, or have them off.  Give us the option...
2018-2-19
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Never calibrate the compass.  It will be fine.
2018-2-19
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Only calibrate it if you make changes to the aircraft, such as replacing a motor.
2018-2-19
Use props
duke123
lvl.3
Flight distance : 78930 ft
United States

Only calibrate if the drone ask you to.
2018-2-19
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

So many people think that you need to calibrate the compass prior to every flight.
My boss is no exception he has a p4 and does the drone waltz every time prior to take off i just look in amazement each time.
Then once he fly into a brick wall at 60 kph i walked upto him and said i told you so.
But i guess the moral is some people only learn by their mistakes.

NEVER DO A COMPASS CALIBRATION UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY.

If you see a compass error upon startup then your first reaction should be to power your drone down then change position (move to a new location) then try again.
If compas error still persists then try moving further away. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO FLY IF YOU GET A COMPASS ERROR.
If you have changed your location by 100s of miles then you may need to recalibrate but try a different location first.

Hope some people learn from my bosses lesson and listen to those here with experience. By doing so you may save your drone without ever knowing about it

Good luck and fly safe
2018-2-19
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

And page 57 of the Manual sums up what the others have said.
2018-2-19
Use props
CKE ENTERPRISES
lvl.1
United States

Great info thanks all
2018-2-19
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Was just thinking regarding the front red LEDs, these can be permanently on if you wish. There's a setting in DJI Go 4 for on or off, and if on is chosen, there is a further option in camera settings so they can be off while recording images.
2018-2-19
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Aardvark Posted at 2018-2-19 19:31
Was just thinking regarding the front red LEDs, these can be permanently on if you wish. There's a setting in DJI Go 4 for on or off, and if on is chosen, there is a further option in camera settings so they can be off while recording images.

Thats good advice as long as you are flying vlos or should i say safely lol.
But we live in the real world and not many pilots do this untill they learn the hard way.
Those that do fly vlos always have usually had an experience of some form or another that has taught them the error of their ways.
2018-2-19
Use props
fansfe2c9456
lvl.3
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-2-19 19:31
Was just thinking regarding the front red LEDs, these can be permanently on if you wish. There's a setting in DJI Go 4 for on or off, and if on is chosen, there is a further option in camera settings so they can be off while recording images.

I thought there was only 1 setting to keep the front LEDs on, but then when one is recording, they turn off?  Perhaps I missed something...
2018-2-20
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansfe2c9456 Posted at 2018-2-20 09:37
I thought there was only 1 setting to keep the front LEDs on, but then when one is recording, they turn off?  Perhaps I missed something...

In 'Main Controller Settings' / 'Advanced Settings' there is the main 'Turn on Head LEDs' toggle.

With all powered up and connected you will see the option in camera settings to switch of LED when recording (assuming they were on to start with).
2018-2-20
Use props
fansfe2c9456
lvl.3
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-2-20 10:36
In 'Main Controller Settings' / 'Advanced Settings' there is the main 'Turn on Head LEDs' toggle.

With all powered up and connected you will see the option in camera settings to switch of LED when recording (assuming they were on to start with).

OK, got it!

Thank you
2018-2-20
Use props
fansfe2c9456
lvl.3
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-2-20 10:36
In 'Main Controller Settings' / 'Advanced Settings' there is the main 'Turn on Head LEDs' toggle.

With all powered up and connected you will see the option in camera settings to switch of LED when recording (assuming they were on to start with).

It's not working correctly!  When I turn the the head LEDs on, and them in the camera settings tell it NOT to turn them off during recording, they turn off anyway!  What is going on?  I go back and look at the setting I just set, and it is now the opposite of what I selected!  Can someone else try this and see if it works for them?
2018-3-5
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansfe2c9456 Posted at 2018-3-5 09:31
It's not working correctly!  When I turn the the head LEDs on, and them in the camera settings tell it NOT to turn them off during recording, they turn off anyway!  What is going on?  I go back and look at the setting I just set, and it is now the opposite of what I selected!  Can someone else try this and see if it works for them?

Are you making all these changes with aircraft powered up ?
2018-3-5
Use props
fansfe2c9456
lvl.3
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-3-5 09:41

Yes, while on the ground and also tried it while I was flying!
2018-3-5
Use props
fansfe2c9456
lvl.3
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-3-5 09:41

Have you tried this on your AC?  Tried it again today, and it still reverts to Turn Headlamps off when recording (and turns them off),, even though I didn't select it!
2018-3-10
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fansfe2c9456 Posted at 2018-3-10 14:49
Have you tried this on your AC?  Tried it again today, and it still reverts to Turn Headlamps off when recording (and turns them off),, even though I didn't select it!

Yes, works as it's supposed to here on my P4.

Double check, 'Main Controller Settings' / 'Advanced Settings' , Turn on head LEDs should be to right (On), and 'Head LEDs Auto Turn Off' should be on if you want LEDs to go out when recording (usually a good idea to stop red reflections on lens);  or off if you want LEDs on when recording video or stills.

Other than that I can think of nothing else apart from uninstalling and re-installing DJI Go 4 App'.
2018-3-10
Use props
fansfe2c9456
lvl.3
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2018-3-10 15:28
Yes, works as it's supposed to here on my P4.

Double check, 'Main Controller Settings' / 'Advanced Settings' , Turn on head LEDs should be to right (On), and 'Head LEDs Auto Turn Off' should be on if you want LEDs to go out when recording (usually a good idea to stop red reflections on lens);  or off if you want LEDs on when recording video or stills.

Thanks for the suggestions.  I tired to uninstall, then reinstall the DJI Go 4 App.  First, it didn't seem like it was going to work, but eventually I got it to work as it should!
2018-3-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules