Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Is the Litchi app worth it?
123Next >
36593 114 2018-2-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Josh the apple
lvl.2
Flight distance : 643061 ft
United States

Someone gave me a $20 iTunes gift card and I wan't to spend it on the Litchi app. I've heard a lot of good and bad about Litchi and was looking for some opinions on the app. Are there any risks when using Litchi? How stable is Litchi when compared to DJI GO? I would love to hear your opinion and stories about Litchi. It's kinda pricey and I don't want to regret buying it.
2018-2-19
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

I have used Litchi for several years now and love it. It is very stable and probably the reason most of us but it, is the ability to create waypoint mission very easily and store them in the cloud and modify them on your PC. It have other features just like DJI GO too, but this is the main one. You still need the GO app for setting some features on your Phantom, but you won't be disappointed with it. Remember you cannot run both apps at the same time though.
2018-2-19
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

+1

The answer is yes
2018-2-19
Use props
Ron B
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5577 ft

United States

+2  Never use DJI since I discovered it 6 months ago!!!!!!
2018-2-19
Use props
Amateur Droner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6411 ft

United States

Nice video Dirty Bird, was that done with your P3A?

I might have to see if Litchi would work better on my P3S.
2018-2-19
Use props
WIMO
lvl.2
Netherlands

I use FPV camera, but its not worth it. FPV camera doesn't work very good together with the P3S.
I have heard good thinks about litchi, so I personally think its worth it.
2018-2-20
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
First Officer
Flight distance : 3440476 ft
Spain

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-2-19 16:40
Litchi is a great flight app to have in your tool bag.  I can't promise you'll never have an app crash, nor is it a 100% replacement for Go as it does not include every single aircraft setting, but it is a robust product with good value & performance.  My favorite part of Litchi is Waypoint Mode which allows you to program the bird to fly missions autonomously even beyond RC range.  If you become proficient with waypoints you can achieve things not currently possible with manual flight.

https://youtu.be/WVi3yaWadxM

Good  Video !!!
2018-2-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Litchi is a great flight app to have in your tool bag.  I can't promise you'll never have an app crash, nor is it a 100% replacement for Go as it does not include every single aircraft setting, but it is a robust product with good value & performance.  My favorite part of Litchi is Waypoint Mode which allows you to program the bird to fly missions autonomously even beyond RC range.  If you become proficient with waypoints you can achieve things not currently possible with manual flight.

Nice video
2018-2-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

I briefly had Litchi.
Worked great with me.
But I returned it (refund) because I returned my drone.
2018-2-20
Use props
Porktree
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1118323 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes.  Litchi is worth every penny.
2018-2-20
Use props
sky wombat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Yep well worth it & you will be using a gift card. Win, win.
2018-2-21
Use props
flyhigh69
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75079 ft

United States

The litchi app is great if you want to stake out a mission. I mean really, you can fly  bird at 30mph, 200 to 300 feet up, and do  35,000 to 40k ffoot mission (round trip of course)  from home point. You will loose signal but Litchi will not! It keeps the drone going. I my self have lost signal, first time i paniced, but poof signal comes back and the bird comes back safely.  Crazy huh. have you watched some of these videos that are posted? Pretty cool stuff. The preflight mission planning with the waypoints is the coolest part of the Litchi app I think. And now with google Earth 3D mapping its unreal. Totally cool.
2018-2-21
Use props
Rene Jensen
lvl.4
Denmark

i only use litchi app and nor the bad dji go.i only use go app to calibrate imu and yue litchi is a super app to use.and dont need so mutch cpu power to run as the go app
2018-2-21
Use props
Amateur Droner
lvl.4

United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-2-19 17:01
Thanks.  That was actually one of my P3 Standards.  They are excellent birds for Litchi.

Dirty Bird,
I have to say the videos I have  seen are spectacular, and yours has convinced me to spend the coin for the Litchi app.
When I get up the nerve to try it out I will post a video.
Thanks
2018-2-21
Use props
Kuya Kano
lvl.4
Flight distance : 797913 ft
United States

I hear its good, HOWEVER violates the DJI warranty if you have a crash.
2018-2-21
Use props
Nebicaneser
First Officer
Spain

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-2-21 09:35
Thank you.  Just take your time learning Litchi & start out with shorter flights erroring on the high side with altitude settings.  I look forward to your missions!  The possibilities are limited only by your imagination!

https://youtu.be/9OQugUKxl3E

Amazing Video !!
2018-2-21
Use props
Nebicaneser
First Officer
Spain

can somebody give me a valid link for this app? free? for android and my Phantom 3 SE ??
2018-2-21
Use props
Amateur Droner
lvl.4

United States

Kuya Kano Posted at 2018-2-21 09:32

I understand that DJI would not warrant another company app, but I bought a used P3S that I suspect I have no warranty anyway.
2018-2-21
Use props
PeteHB
lvl.4

France

I can only echo what all have said it's very good.
2018-2-21
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

You're welcome!
2018-2-21
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
United States

Amateur Droner Posted at 2018-2-21 08:41
Dirty Bird,
I have to say the videos I have  seen are spectacular, and yours has convinced me to spend the coin for the Litchi app.
When I get up the nerve to try it out I will post a video.

The 3PS will probably benefit from Litchi more than the others. By that I mean you are limited with your standard as far as signal with the WiFi. when lost it triggers a RTH. I have several pilots using Litchi with their standard drones, and they are able to program a mission that will go where they were never able to go before. You are only limited to your battery power, so you do have to keep that in mind. But regardless of the signal, your phantom will continue the mission. Quite amazing actually. Especially when you lose signal and then to see your bird returning. It is kind of a rush not knowing where it is, but having then to look at the footage (assuming you are recording the entire mission) it really cool. I have a P3A, and though the Lightbridge technology is much better than WiFi, I have programmed mine phantom to go over hilltops, etc. drop in altitude, and virtually go places I couldn't get to before. Of course you need to know the area you are flying in, but Litchi is just fantastic. Have fun. As far as the price............don't know what it is right now, but I think herein the US it is $25. I mean you can spend this on a case of  beer or going thru a fast food joint..........it is mere peanuts in my book compared to what most of us have invested anyway. I understand $25 dollars in nothing to sneeze at, but it is not much money to have an additional tool for your drone, that can do so much for you.
2018-2-21
Use props
Josh the apple
lvl.2
United States

Just thought I would update you guys on what’s going on. I downloaded the Litchi app two days ago and have been experimenting with short distance missions and am about to take my first long range mission (4.5 miles). I’ve read through the Litchi documentation and I’ve checked my settings and waypoints several times over. Thanks for your feedback on Litchi! Planning automated missions is very fun for sure!
2018-2-21
Use props
Amateur Droner
lvl.4

United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2018-2-21 11:41
The 3PS will probably benefit from Litchi more than the others. By that I mean you are limited with your standard as far as signal with the WiFi. when lost it triggers a RTH. I have several pilots using Litchi with their standard drones, and they are able to program a mission that will go where they were never able to go before. You are only limited to your battery power, so you do have to keep that in mind. But regardless of the signal, your phantom will continue the mission. Quite amazing actually. Especially when you lose signal and then to see your bird returning. It is kind of a rush not knowing where it is, but having then to look at the footage (assuming you are recording the entire mission) it really cool. I have a P3A, and though the Lightbridge technology is much better than WiFi, I have programmed mine phantom to go over hilltops, etc. drop in altitude, and virtually go places I couldn't get to before. Of course you need to know the area you are flying in, but Litchi is just fantastic. Have fun. As far as the price............don't know what it is right now, but I think herein the US it is $25. I mean you can spend this on a case of  beer or going thru a fast food joint..........it is mere peanuts in my book compared to what most of us have invested anyway. I understand $25 dollars in nothing to sneeze at, but it is not much money to have an additional tool for your drone, that can do so much for you.

Thanks Ricardo,
I look forward to experimenting with the Litchi app.
Slow steps forward for me, I just got use to flying in Atti mode, to be sure I know what to do before I panic.
2018-2-21
Use props
Amateur Droner
lvl.4

United States

Josh the apple Posted at 2018-2-21 12:50
Just thought I would update you guys on what’s going on. I downloaded the Litchi app two days ago and have been experimenting with short distance missions and am about to take my first long range mission (4.5 miles). I’ve read through the Litchi documentation and I’ve checked my settings and waypoints several times over. Thanks for your feedback on Litchi! Planning automated missions is very fun for sure!

Josh I want to thank you for starting this thread.
I look forward to you posting a video
2018-2-21
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
United States

Amateur Droner Posted at 2018-2-21 14:17
Thanks Ricardo,
I look forward to experimenting with the Litchi app.
Slow steps forward for me, I just got use to flying in Atti mode, to be sure I know what to do before I panic.

You are making excellent decisions! I can't be expressed enough how important it is to understand and know how your phantom is going to react or better yet, what to do in the event it does something you are not used too. Your time spent flying in Atti and playing around with other scenarios will definitely improve your chance of getting out of trouble should it arise. The more you know the better off you will be and the more fun you will have. Litchi is just another tool in your bag of tricks, to enhance your flying experience. At least that it how it has been for me. Best of luck to you and enjoy.
2018-2-21
Use props
ArgenBrewer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18638 ft
Argentina

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-2-21 09:35
Thank you.  Just take your time learning Litchi & start out with shorter flights erroring on the high side with altitude settings.  I look forward to your missions!  The possibilities are limited only by your imagination!

https://youtu.be/9OQugUKxl3E

Now do not leave us with doubt!, What happened to the other drones?
2018-2-21
Use props
Zimmerman 61
lvl.4
Flight distance : 730052 ft

Australia

Hey Mr Bird,

How is it possible to the drone to fly further than RC range and still know where to fly.
Sounds a very interesting app. I will have t look into it. By the way I have enjoyed all your videos how you get that range and footage is brilliant.

Cheers
Zimmerman
2018-2-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Kuya Kano Posted at 2018-2-21 09:32

That gets repeated a lot on forums but it's still a myth.
Using Litchi or other 3rd party apps does not void your warranty.

As you would expect, DJI won't cover it if the cause of the incident was the 3rd party software.
It would be very unusual for a 3rd party app to cause a crash.
I don't think I've ever heard of any.
If your Phantom crashes and it can be shown that the cause was a DJI issue, DJI will cover it.
2018-2-21
Use props
DINGO DOWN UNDA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3058816 ft
Australia

Litchi is great...I only use the Go 4 crap to check sensors etc etc...shut it down and fly with Litchi...both with my P3A and Mavic MPP.
2018-2-21
Use props
ArgenBrewer
lvl.3
Argentina

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-2-21 20:41
Everyone made it home safely & lived happily ever after.  We were testing the feasibility of doing one of my city flights with 4 birds.  Unfortunately we kept running into timing issues.  One of the P3 Pros in particular would do strange things during flights (see my "Shaken Not Stirred" video to see the P3P acting up & to learn the fate of the pilots).  After numerous unsuccessful tests we put the 4 bird city flight on hold & I ran it as a 2-bird mission instead.  Below is the mission we were planning...

https://youtu.be/HGyRowC9Mm4

I was watching that video last night! It is interesting to see how the lights of the drone change once it loses contact with the remote control and follows its flight. It would be interesting if one day you tell how the previous logistics of this type of flights are developed
2018-2-22
Use props
Kuya Kano
lvl.4
Flight distance : 797913 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-2-21 22:32
That gets repeated a lot on forums but it's still a myth.
Using Litchi or other 3rd party apps does not void your warranty.

O.k.  Then what I read was wrong.  I apologies.
2018-2-22
Use props
Josh the apple
lvl.2
United States

So far my experience with Litchi has been great. I didn't manage to get any good video footage on my first mission. I only managed to get a couple good pictures. I'm going to try and fly the mission again and hopefully post back with something decent.
2018-2-22
Use props
Amateur Droner
lvl.4

United States

Josh the apple Posted at 2018-2-22 21:06
So far my experience with Litchi has been great. I didn't manage to get any good video footage on my first mission. I only managed to get a couple good pictures. I'm going to try and fly the mission again and hopefully post back with something decent.

I'm looking forward to seeing your video!
I just mapped out my first mission, I haven't flown it yet.
2018-2-22
Use props
Amateur Droner
lvl.4

United States

Update:
I just spent three days going over my Litchi short mission (very short...5 min). I finally decided to chance it...OMG it flew smoother than ever could have flown it manually.
I was so nervous, I first read up on all the controls in the app, and then spent hours..days rechecking everything.I was so nervous I forgot to turn on the video or take a picture!!

Just awesome is all I can say! I was impressed with the Phantom...but now I am in love with my P3S!

Thanks Dirty Bird!
2018-2-24
Use props
BeastMaster_101
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1082992 ft
Canada

so you lose nothing if u go litchy and you'll only gain waypoint missions? not worth $30 imo
2018-2-24
Use props
Josh the apple
lvl.2
United States

So far I have been loving Litchi but I am wondering how to properly execute a one way long range mission. When I try to start a 4 mile one way mission I get an error saying the distance between adjacent waypoints is to far even though I have waypoints every 1500 ft. From what I have read online, the first and last waypoint have to be within 2000m of each other. This basically makes one way trips impossible because the drone needs to end up next to the starting point. Any suggestions? There isn't anything in the documentation about this from what I can see.
2018-2-24
Use props
Rene Jensen
lvl.4
Denmark

BeastMaster_101 Posted at 2018-2-24 17:39
so you lose nothing if u go litchy and you'll only gain waypoint missions? not worth $30 imo

Beastmaster litchi is mutch better then go app it offers mutch more than just waypoin missions.and it has spoken altitude and heading and distance in almost any launguage.and its only take almost half the cpu power to run as go app does so its well worth the money
2018-2-24
Use props
Josh the apple
lvl.2
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-2-25 07:09
In the mission settings you must have the Finish action set to "Back to first waypoint".   For a one-way mission you'll probably want to change the Finish action to "Land".

Thanks for the advice, but that's unfortunately not the issue.
I'll provide some screenshots that detail the problem. Final action is set to land.

When I try and start the mission in the screenshot above, I get the following error.

It does this because the first point (1) and the last point (17) are not within 2000m of each other. The mission in the screenshot below runs with no problem (besides being to long for the battery). Notice how waypoint 1 and 22 are within 2000m.

Is this some sort of weird bug? Does android have this issue? I've checked all the waypoint and mission settings multiple times. I didn't change any settings between the two missions.
2018-2-25
Use props
Texas-Mark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23002 ft
United States

I read in a few other threads that the 2000m distance limit is between two consecutive waypoints INCLUDING the first and last. But those were threads from like a year ago,
2018-2-25
Use props
ArgenBrewer
lvl.3
Argentina

Amateur Droner Posted at 2018-2-22 22:34
I'm looking forward to seeing your video!
I just mapped out my first mission, I haven't flown it yet.

There is some way you can share the mission file to study it (I could not try it anyway, unless the drone flies half a planet Ja Ja, but at least I would see how you developed it)
2018-2-26
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules