Phantom 3 New Pilot Worried about Jello
12Next >
10162 54 2015-5-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tonyatmatc
lvl.1

United States

I got my Phantom 3 yesterday and flew it today.  This is my second video.  I have removed the foam, removed the lense plastic.  My concern is that when I took my Phantom out of the box yesterday the plastic clip to hold the gimbal had come off during shipping.
If anyone could take a look at the video and tell me it is nomal or abnormal?  Remember new pilot so I am just flying on beginner mode and not doing much with the camera orientation.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u5bhrmmoygnwrjt/DJI_0001.MOV?dl=0

Thanks!
2015-5-1
Use props
tonyatmatc
lvl.1

United States

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9z60qg4ohko41qy/DJI_0003.MOV?dl=0

Here is another video that is smaller.  
2015-5-1
Use props
Mikey14
lvl.3

United States

The foam might have split in 2 and there is still a little piece in between the body and top of the gimbal that you might have missed or thought it was part of the gimbal. Take a closer look.
2015-5-1
Use props
tonyatmatc
lvl.1

United States

Mikey14 Posted at 2015-5-2 06:02
The foam might have split in 2 and there is still a little piece in between the body and top of the  ...

I did check. The foam came out perfectly.  But the plastic guard was not in place when I pulled the Phantom out of the box.  My concern is that the gimbal was getting knocked around during shipping.  So you do see some Jello?
2015-5-1
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

tonyatmatc Posted at 2015-5-2 06:12
I did check. The foam came out perfectly.  But the plastic guard was not in place when I pulled th ...

You should not worry about that right now.  Take the P3 out and fly it.  Film, take pictures and decide how it works and post your videos here.
2015-5-1
Use props
tonyatmatc
lvl.1

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-2 06:21
You should not worry about that right now.  Take the P3 out and fly it.  Film, take pictures and de ...

So that shake is normal? I just want to make sure.
2015-5-1
Use props
bobasbury
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1140502 ft
  • >>>
United States

Your props need to be balanced.  Stand in front of your Phantom and go UP as fast as you can.  You will see your camera shake from side to side.  That is caused by an unbalanced prop(s).
2015-5-1
Use props
erdbeerknoedel2
lvl.1

Germany

looks indeed like some jello and shaking but I don't know why. you should double check your gimbal, I hope you don't have to send it back to dji
2015-5-1
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

tonyatmatc Posted at 2015-5-2 06:22
So that shake is normal? I just want to make sure.

There is some degree of shake in the gimbal.  More on the Inspire than the P3 but present in both.  I have not seen it in the video in over 120 flights.  I will say that I got a preproduction unit and it had no foam and the clip was disconnected.  Nothing holding the gimbal.  I have not had an issue.  I have traveled with my P3 to and from the flying field and in a carry on bag on an airplane numerous times without gimbal restraints.  Yes I did pack some socks around the gimbal but nothing else.
2015-5-1
Use props
CapitAn
lvl.4
  • >>>
Canada

Have you watched it running in the house without the props on, and in a low hover. Check this out at the 2:17 mark, the motor closest to us is doing a serious wobble:

l mentioned it in the video's comments section earlier but haven't got a response. lt doesn't seem normal to me.
2015-5-1
Use props
ntfa
lvl.4

United States

Curious, how do you balance props on this?
2015-5-1
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

ntfa@sbcglobal. Posted at 2015-5-2 09:10
Curious, how do you balance props on this?

You can get a threaded shaft and a balancing mount.  There are several available.
2015-5-1
Use props
tonyatmatc
lvl.1

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-2 12:40
You can get a threaded shaft and a balancing mount.  There are several available.

What prop balancer would you suggest?
2015-5-2
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

tonyatmatc Posted at 2015-5-2 22:05
What prop balancer would you suggest?

I have not used a prop balancer since the early P1-P2 days.  I have found that the DJI props are well balanced out of the box  I have been flying the Inspire since November and the P3 for the last month.  I have not touched one prop.
2015-5-2
Use props
tonyatmatc
lvl.1

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-3 02:58
I have not used a prop balancer since the early P1-P2 days.  I have found that the DJI props are w ...

So if it not the props then it is the Gimbal that is causing this shake.
2015-5-2
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

tonyatmatc Posted at 2015-5-3 03:07
So if it not the props then it is the Gimbal that is causing this shake.

Have you checked to make sure that all the vibration isolation dampeners are fully attached.  That the cables are also seated.  Try filming a short segment 20-30 seconds at 1080p60 and upload to YouTube.  If you are still getting video aberrations, then yes I would contact DJI and share your video with them.  If necessary they will arrange for an RMA for repair or replacement.  I did not download the video but what I saw was mostly the inablity of my internet connection to stream the video.  
2015-5-2
Use props
tonyatmatc
lvl.1

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-3 03:18
Have you checked to make sure that all the vibration isolation dampeners are fully attached.  That ...

Should it have all 4 plastic pins in?  It came with only two attached. If so I can add the other two, and try what you suggested.
2015-5-2
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

tonyatmatc Posted at 2015-5-3 03:20
Should it have all 4 plastic pins in?  It came with only two attached. If so I can add the other tw ...

Just two are installed at the factory.
2015-5-2
Use props
tonyatmatc
lvl.1

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-3 03:22
Just two are installed at the factory.

I know that. Do I add the other two?
2015-5-2
Use props
jorski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 171946 ft
Finland

I have use this prop balancer http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dubro-Tr ... hash=item339dba7f3e
You also need this http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Phan ... D221689577278&rt=nc

Here is a video link to Dupro balancer and how to balance self tighten props. Look at 4.35 I use that method, I do not have balance rod.
2015-5-2
Use props
tonyatmatc
lvl.1

United States

jorski@netti.fi Posted at 2015-5-3 04:13
I have use this prop balancer http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dubro-Tr ... hash=item339dba7f3e
You also need ...

Thank you!
2015-5-2
Use props
tonyatmatc
lvl.1

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-3 03:18
Have you checked to make sure that all the vibration isolation dampeners are fully attached.  That  ...

I recalibrated the Gimbal, went up to 60fps, and it seemed to have helped greatly. It was much more windy today too with no jello effect.

Thanks for your help!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oit8rfbfxp9spza/DJI_0002.MP4?dl=0
2015-5-2
Use props
jorski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 171946 ft
Finland

I order Phantom 2 props to my Phantom FC40 and those original DJI props was not absolutely balanced, I hope it helps you and greetings from Finland!
I am still waiting my P3A....
2015-5-2
Use props
radus77
lvl.1

Canada

tonyatmatc
In  your Phantom set you got two sets of props. Try to use second one. I had the some problem in my phantom 2. I bought the cheaper props from ebay and put on my Phantom. I had yello effect after I put back DJI original set and yello effect gone.  99% yello effect is unbalanced props.
2015-5-2
Use props
felixmiziozniko
New

United States

replace white isolation rubbers with black ones (from the phantom 2 or get a set on ebay. )
The white ones that are standard have always produced horrible jellowing in videos from day 1
2015-5-2
Use props
bryson79
lvl.2

United States

Just checking in, Phantom 3 Advanced 1080 camera. I have been shooting at 25fps and have had absolutely no jello. It looks like the camera is attached to a tripod at the top of a building. Absolutely amazing.  

One thing I noticed is that your props were showing in the shot when moving around. I have never been able to get a prop in the shot. Is there a seting for adjusting the field of view of the camera? I did not change anything just flew it at stock settings.
2015-5-2
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

felixmiziozniko Posted at 2015-5-3 12:37
replace white isolation rubbers with black ones (from the phantom 2 or get a set on ebay. )
The whit ...

Please don't do this.  The P2 and P3 are entirely different craft.  What may have worked on one will probably not work on the other.  Most users are not having any issues with jello.  I have requested that the user post video that has been uploaded to YouTube or Vimeo and have not seen any yet.  
2015-5-3
Use props
tonyatmatc
lvl.1

United States

bryson79@yahoo. Posted at 2015-5-3 14:51
Just checking in, Phantom 3 Advanced 1080 camera. I have been shooting at 25fps and have had absolut ...

I did not change anything.
2015-5-3
Use props
bryson79
lvl.2

United States

Here is a video I shot last night.

2015-5-3
Use props
tonyatmatc
lvl.1

United States

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-5-3 23:25
Please don't do this.  The P2 and P3 are entirely different craft.  What may have worked on one wi ...

With Jello

After caliber of gimbal and changing to 60fps
2015-5-3
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I did not see much jello in the first video, mostly compression artifacts from YouTube.  The second was fine and the gimbal was stable.  Great job!
2015-5-3
Use props
john.lambert4
lvl.3

Australia

tonyatmatc Posted at 2015-5-4 03:08
With Jello
https://youtu.be/pLv4tVBHH2M

You can definitely see the "jello" effect in the first link, especially when it's going up rapidly!  The second video shows none that I can see, so job well done!
2015-5-3
Use props
LaurenSRQ
New
Flight distance : 38074 ft
United States

I am also seeing the "jello" effect in every single video I have shot since taking my P3 out of the box. Here is an example:

2015-5-13
Use props
ssteenberg
lvl.2

United States

Dji screwed up anther product. Inspire 1 all over again. I returned my inspire 1 and will not buy DJI products anymore. Worst customer service ever.
2015-5-13
Use props
mswall
lvl.4
Flight distance : 39695 ft
United States

I disagree. The worst customer service is any drive-thru at Taco Bell.
2015-5-13
Use props
rmh2003
lvl.2
Flight distance : 483917 ft
United States

I had the same issue in yesterday's video. I have shot about 10 videos so far and never had any issues. Flew yesterday and I got a real bad shake on my way up. I do take the props off and on everytime during transport.
2015-5-14
Use props
dave
lvl.1

United States

bryson79@yahoo. Posted at 2015-5-4 00:53
Here is a video I shot last night.

Arizona Sunset

Byrson,  

What part of Arizona is that?  It looks like Quarzsite area...
2015-5-15
Use props
bryson79
lvl.2

United States

It is in the San Tan mountains by Queen Creek.
2015-5-15
Use props
peoleo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 25409177 ft
Sweden

I solved the jello effect by changing to the same vibration rubber on the Phantom 2, they are stiffer and instead of the plastic pinns, I have tied with dental floss. Perfect.
2015-5-16
Use props
chamb0 FPV
lvl.1

United Kingdom

TBH you shouldn't have to modify your P3 to get stable video. If they have a problem with unbalanced props then they need to sort it!!!  
2015-5-16
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules