Why won't my spark work with android?
1745 13 2018-2-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_Q5o3rw1h1zdM
New

United States

I have only had my spark for a couple weeks now. I get absolutely terrible range. At most 300-500ft with a controller. It will say low signal aircraft disconnected and RTH.   When I try to adjust wifi, I get no options to change channels. No option to change bands. I'm pretty sure I set everything up correctly. I'm pretty sure I angle my antennas correctly. Otg doesn't work. It just gives me a bunch of N/A for everything. I absolutely hate how DJI gets on here and simply says "Try an Ios device" as if I have the option to drop another 800$ on this 500$ toy.  Is there something I'm missing? Something I'm not doing right?
2018-2-19
Use props
Solestacz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 489193 ft
United States

what android version/device? what kind of location are you flying in? densely/sparsely populated/developed? at what altitudes? where i live, rural area, i have used an android devices (one older samsung and one new LG) all along, and managed to get out to 2-3000 feet regularly. i do get some "weak transmission" errors at times, but those are mostly very temporary (and they can pop up on iOs devices too - even when using otg). altitude helps - keep it up above nearby potential interference sources. others here may have more tips to offer, and there are a number of threads on range/signal quality issues here.
2018-2-19
Use props
Spark Kam
lvl.2
Flight distance : 417 ft
United States

You're not doing anything wrong. It just is what it is! The Spark would not work at all with my Nexus 6. I got the same suggestion to use a different device. I didn't buy the spark for a business nor am I a professional photographer. For me its a toy...a family video camera so I wasn't willing to adjust and wrap my life around it to make it work.
If you haven't yet, you could downgrade your DJI Go app to 4.1.15 to get all of your telemetry data with OTG. If that doesn't help your range as well, I'm not sure what else you could do.
The Spark I had worked best when downgraded to the V01.00.0700 firmware along with the  4.1.15 app. Not sure why this combination worked best for me but the lack of support from DJI made me give up and just return the thing to the store.
2018-2-19
Use props
S-e-ven
Captain
Flight distance : 5922034 ft
  • >>>
Thailand

Try OTG with an older version of the Go4 App
4.1.15, p.ex.
To verify if it is your android device or just the wifi connection between phone an RC
2018-2-19
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Kuwait

Actually SPARK works well with Android rather than IOS.  I am surprised how it is not working for you. . Maybe you have to reinstall the firmware.
2018-2-19
Use props
ZarcTheSpark
First Officer
Flight distance : 460676 ft
United States

well if the phone using 2.4 GHz to connect to the remote, and the RC and AC are trying to use the same band...that is an issue...also blutooth.  I don't know how to fix, but I never have a problem... assume my RC/AC connection is on 5.8
2018-2-19
Use props
ZarcTheSpark
First Officer
Flight distance : 460676 ft
United States

also.. I think this might be the cause of other complaints and people using the otg cable....the phone and RC/Ac compete  for bandwidth at 2.4....if a cable is used, they don't... or if 5.8 is available it won't.  just a guess, though

2018-2-19
Use props
Raimenzio
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237057 ft
Lithuania

I would say it's a defective aircraft/RC itself, because is a. distance issues - problem with RC b. has issues with telemetry data - problem with aircraft.
Did you tried using another android device? If it acts the same way you should return/replace it.
2018-2-19
Use props
djiuser_Q5o3rw1h1zdM
New

United States

Everything works like it is supposed to with my friends iPhone as a device on my spark and RC. I really don't want to try an older version of app because there has been other upgrades to the recent versions that I don't want to miss out on.  
2018-2-19
Use props
Raimenzio
lvl.4
Flight distance : 237057 ft
Lithuania

djiuser_Q5o3rw1h1zdM Posted at 2018-2-19 23:48
Everything works like it is supposed to with my friends iPhone as a device on my spark and RC. I really don't want to try an older version of app because there has been other upgrades to the recent versions that I don't want to miss out on.

There is no functional changes since 4.1.15 that you could notice, just try it and see if it works. What phone model are you using?
2018-2-20
Use props
djiuser_dS3OQQFLlVBv
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3268 ft
Kuwait

Raimenzio Posted at 2018-2-20 00:41
There is no functional changes since 4.1.15 that you could notice, just try it and see if it works. What phone model are you using?

I have Note8 but i can  never connect AC+RC+phone using wifi, the only successful l connection i could make when i use the OTG cable. why can't i connect using the wifi where i have no problem at all with my iphone6 plus.
2018-2-20
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Use  DJI Go app  4.1.15 if you don't have goggles and latest firmware V 01.00.0900.
Never update again!
2018-2-20
Use props
muskegg
lvl.2
Flight distance : 93422 ft
Canada

I had a similar issue before. In my area the 5.8 GHz band is more crowded than the 2.4 GHz and I couldn't get good range while the RC and AC were using the 5.8GHz. I switched to the 2.4 GHz and I never had issues since, my Spark flies as far as I need (and as I'm allowed to by the regulations) using just Wi-Fi, no OTG cables, all apps and firmware running the latest versions.

It's worth a try to figure out how to switch to a different band. When you're in the Wi-Fi menu, choose manual and select 2.4. And don't forget to save the settings, there's a button at the bottom of the menu. Took me a while to realize it

Good luck!
2018-2-20
Use props
Rejabis
lvl.3
Flight distance : 820108 ft
United States

make sure you phone is turned on
2018-2-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now