Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Would Like Some Feedback on This Video
711 22 2018-2-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tom_A
Captain
Flight distance : 899951 ft
  • >>>
United States

After purchasing the Mavic Air, I though it was about time I started paying more attention to the camera settings. I am using filters now and am using manual settings. I recently installed the demo version of Final Cut Pro and tested with the following video.

I would appreciate any advice on what I could have done better, possibly with color matching or any camera settings.

2018-2-19
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Flight distance : 3428747 ft
Spain

fANTASTIC !! tHANKS FOR SHARING
2018-2-20
Use props
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Flight distance : 3428747 ft
Spain

lOVE the Music & Beauty colours TOM !!
2018-2-20
Use props
the0bone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 11896 ft
Germany

Not sure if it YT that make it or your Video.
But it seems that your Shutter speed did not match to the fps. Specially at 0:25 at the fence you can see, that there is no motion blur and that do not look cinematic.

Another tip: Speed ramp your takes. Example at 2:30 flying to the bridge. Give him a kick in the middle.

Last tip: Stay in the shadows. Also at same bridge situation around 2:40... If you would walk 10m to the right (left in the video) you would be part of the tree and less visible. Fruther you could see your own screen much better

But nice video.
2018-2-20
Use props
cyborg
First Officer
Flight distance : 123960 ft
Singapore

nice video.. love the rustic look, and the landscape is beautiful..!! put some horses and cowboys in there, you are good to shoot a full movie
2018-2-20
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cool video
2018-2-20
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Nice video, thank you for sharing! Have you done something with the colours? Most of the time they do not look natural to me. And which filter were you using? And for my taste a number of moves are too fast.
2018-2-20
Use props
KREMi
Captain
  • >>>
Poland

way too fast camera in many close scenes, colors strange sometimes, don't know it's Youtube or that program used to edit, but for me that FHD quality looks not so good (for such sunny day) on closeups (mostly @ start of vid)
I did like music, scenes setup, views
2018-2-20
Use props
MaineMavick
Second Officer
Flight distance : 169524 ft
United States

My first note is that your color temp is very warm and it gives a lot of the clips a red tinge and then at 1:30 the color changes drastically to blue/green.
Lots of smooth flying and the majority of the cuts are not jarring.
2018-2-20
Use props
Datadogie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 27028 ft
United Kingdom

Lots of constructive comments. I liked it too myself being a new droner.
2018-2-20
Use props
Mavic Ace
Second Officer
Flight distance : 333976 ft
  • >>>
United States

I really enjoyed this video.  I am new or video editing so take what I say with a grain of salt. To me the colors seemed muted almost sepia in some scenes.   I like saturated color myself but my wife also says I put too much spice in the food when I cook so maybe it’s just me. Thanks for sharing such an amazing vid.
2018-2-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Firstly, great vid! Vibrant colours and wonderful scenery and you seem to be getting the hang of it really well.
In terms of constructive feedback for you - slow down a little - try tripod mode when moving from left to right (rolling). Ensure your shutter speed it double your frame rate to create more motion blur (thats why you have ND filters). When editing, look at the RGB settings and saturation - the ND filters seem to have popped the colours which looks nice but takes away a more natural look (are you using PL's?), especially in the reds and blues. Also, lower the kelvin/white balance to cool the frames a little to compensate for the added light.
Good job though!
2018-2-20
Use props
GoldenSun
Captain
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

Very nice video, but I'd slow down many of the shots, here you can't really see much beside that something is going in front of you...
2018-2-20
Use props
Tom_A
Captain
  • >>>
United States

First, thanks to everyone who left comments. I used the ND16 filter. For some of the shots, I was able to set the shutter speed to 50 (Recording at 24fps). At some of the locations, I could not do this and get the right exposure. Would it have been better to change the ISO? Every guide that I have seen has said to leave the ISO alone. I increased the speed of the clip showing the fence and maybe I should have not done this. I'll take a look to make sure I didn't set the wrong speed, but I think I may not have gotten the setting right for the motion blur.

For the clips that are circling a POI, I'm not sure how I should be handling the speed ramping. Should I be slicing out a small section and then just speeding up that section or is there a better way to handle this. This is the first edit I have done using Final Cut Pro.

The clip with me standing next to the bridge looks like I shouldn't be in the clip. I didn't think about it at the time, but I could have walked away after setting up to circle the POI as well.

I think I have a tendency to speed up clips that I should not. Sometimes I'm doing it so that I can use more of the clip, but I should really just pick the best part of the clip without changing the speed.

I'm quite satisfied with the white balance settings. I messed with this a little in post production, but I didn't get consistent results throughout the video.
Edit: Think I figured out how to get speed ramp to work correctly.
2018-2-20
Use props
Tom_A
Captain
  • >>>
United States

I went back and looked at the clip with the fence. That clip is playing at normal speed. When I pause the video, I do see some motion blur, but perhaps not enough.  I looked at the video clip on YouTube and it doesn't seem to be as jerky as it was when I first uploaded it. I wonder if that could have something to do with how YouTube takes awhile to process videos.
2018-2-20
Use props
Tom_A
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-2-20 08:29
Nice video, thank you for sharing! Have you done something with the colours? Most of the time they do not look natural to me. And which filter were you using? And for my taste a number of moves are too fast.

I used the D-Cinelike setting, but think I didn't adjust the colors correctly. I used ND-16/PL filter.
2018-2-20
Use props
Tom_A
Captain
  • >>>
United States

I did not use a LUT with the D-Cinelike video files and I think that is why I was having problems color matching. I have re-uploaded the file to YouTube and hopefully improved the color matching.
2018-2-20
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Tom_A Posted at 2018-2-20 21:01
I used the D-Cinelike setting, but think I didn't adjust the colors correctly. I used ND-16/PL filter.

Thank you for the explanation.
2018-2-20
Use props
Mars5150
First Officer
Flight distance : 391493 ft
United States

@Tom_A I like your edit!
I do assume that everyone of us has different tastes and likes so each time a video cut would be different. I experienced that having a first edit, then a second and once, a third came out each time with a different result. Using also parts of video which before where maybe overseen.
Music is very Western like. Great!
You are lucky to have such places taking videos. In central Europe you would need to drive many hours to get in such a lonely placed. If you ever managed to find one.
2018-2-20
Use props
Mars5150
First Officer
Flight distance : 391493 ft
United States

the0bone Posted at 2018-2-20 00:46
Not sure if it YT that make it or your Video.
But it seems that your Shutter speed did not match to the fps. Specially at 0:25 at the fence you can see, that there is no motion blur and that do not look cinematic.

Great feedbacks @the0bone!!!
Always learning new things to keep in mind when flying my drone.
2018-2-20
Use props
Tom_A
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Mars5150 Posted at 2018-2-20 23:25
@Tom_A I like your edit!
I do assume that everyone of us has different tastes and likes so each time a video cut would be different. I experienced that having a first edit, then a second and once, a third came out each time with a different result. Using also parts of video which before where maybe overseen.
Music is very Western like. Great!

Who said I didn't drive for hours to get there?  
2018-2-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Tom_A Posted at 2018-2-20 18:52
First, thanks to everyone who left comments. I used the ND16 filter. For some of the shots, I was able to set the shutter speed to 50 (Recording at 24fps). At some of the locations, I could not do this and get the right exposure. Would it have been better to change the ISO? Every guide that I have seen has said to leave the ISO alone. I increased the speed of the clip showing the fence and maybe I should have not done this. I'll take a look to make sure I didn't set the wrong speed, but I think I may not have gotten the setting right for the motion blur.

For the clips that are circling a POI, I'm not sure how I should be handling the speed ramping. Should I be slicing out a small section and then just speeding up that section or is there a better way to handle this. This is the first edit I have done using Final Cut Pro.

Yeah, leave the ISO and invest in an ND32 or even 64 for very bright conditions.
2018-2-21
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
Captain
Flight distance : 221476 ft
United Kingdom

I really liked the colours personally I thought they went well with the general theme of the video. The only thing I'd say that I didn't see anyone else already would be add some gimble movement to mix things up a bit. Thanks for sharing
2018-2-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules