Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Don't Wear an Apple Watch if you Fly Drones | Mavic Air Compass Error !
7388 15 2018-2-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Nebuchadnezzar
Captain
Flight distance : 3428747 ft
Spain

In this video I show you why you should just leave your Apple Watch or  other smart watch at home when you fly your drones. Have you ever ran  into this issue before? This compass error would happen with Mavic Pro,  Mavic Air, Phantom 4 Pro, Spark, etc with the Apple Watch if you have a  magnetic band.

2018-2-20
Use props
Wyke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 33166 ft
United Kingdom

So, it’s not really the watch but rather the magnetic strap that’s the issue. I’ve flown my Air wearing my smart watch (non-magnetic strap) without any issue.
2018-2-20
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
Captain
Flight distance : 221476 ft
United Kingdom

Interesting, always good to have this kind of info in the back of your head!
2018-2-20
Use props
KREMi
Captain
  • >>>
Poland

cmon it's common sense... any calibration should be done with interference FREE place/zone. Watch got BT, got Wifi, can have cellular and on top of that a magnetic band... just use a little brain please!
2018-2-20
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13395489 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

I have had issues in the past of flying with my Gear S3 and could never figure it out until I tried with out my watch and viola no more magnetic interference or remote interference.
2018-2-20
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

I fly with my Apple Watch and has never had an issue.
2018-2-20
Use props
jashjacob
lvl.3
Flight distance : 296089 ft
India

Woe Posted at 2018-2-20 03:54
I fly with my Apple Watch and has never had an issue.

Me too! I'm a newbie. I managed to fly my drone without any interference from my Apple Watch.
2018-2-20
Use props
Mavic Ace
Second Officer
Flight distance : 333976 ft
  • >>>
United States

My Submariner hasn’t been a problem.
2018-2-20
Use props
DJT_MVSP
Captain
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

He rotated the drone wrongly when calibrating the compass
2018-2-20
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
First Officer
Flight distance : 1316732 ft
  • >>>
United States

So the first attempt at calibration, 2nd rotation is clearly wrong.... He corrected it when he did the second attempt.  Also if you hold in the hand not wearing the watch - you could totally overcome the magnets from the watch.  

He also started the drone with the gimbal clamp on, and the landing gear folded up...  

Not sure why he felt he was ready to instruct the rest of the world.  Perhaps spend more time WATCHING videos, instead of CREATING.
2018-2-20
Use props
RL_XXI
lvl.4
Flight distance : 456 ft
United States

I fly with my Sony smart watch 3 on all the time and never an issue.
2018-2-20
Use props
Mullheliflier
Captain
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have had several issues with warnings when wearing smart watches. Never any with normal watches. The warnings vary from compass, blue tooth and controller stick interference.
2018-2-20
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Captain
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

I hadn't considered before that the magnetic watch band might be the real issue, but it makes more sense.
2018-2-22
Use props
pedzsan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153625 ft
  • >>>
United States

I came looking for this so it confirms my suspicions.  I have the Milanese Loop which has a strong magnetic end.  I will try with a different band tomorrow and see if that makes any difference.  I suppose you could also go into "airplane mode" to shut off any receivers and transmitters.
2018-12-10
Use props
skyhighmedia
First Officer
Flight distance : 740577 ft
  • >>>
Norway

I've flown earlier with a Samsung Gear S3 and today I always fly with a Samsung Galaxy Watch. I have no problems with compass interference when wearing a watch. But I like to remove the watch and other metallic objects when prompted to calibrate by the DJI GO 4 app.
2018-12-10
Use props
djiuser_OaxNAeQi12RU
New

United States

KREMi Posted at 2018-2-20 02:37
cmon it's common sense... any calibration should be done with interference FREE place/zone. Watch got BT, got Wifi, can have cellular and on top of that a magnetic band... just use a little brain please!

Wow that’s great help. And wonderful constructive criticism.  For those of us who are normal and didn’t think of this.  It’s a great find.   Happening to me recently. And I got a new watch couple months ago.   Didn’t happen all the time.
2021-2-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules