POLL: How often do you Calibrate the Compass ?
12Next >
5139 46 2018-2-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Brutale
lvl.2
Flight distance : 26 ft
Canada

Single SelectVote, Total 203 people participate in voting

Voting has ended

58.62% (119)
12.81% (26)
8.87% (18)
13.79% (28)
5.91% (12)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-2-20
Use props
Swedrone
First Officer
Flight distance : 14066975 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Never have and never will
2018-2-20
Use props
Flycaster
Second Officer
United States

You will iffin' it tells ya twos....
2018-2-20
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

I think using the bars would be better, but I just rely on the app.
2018-2-20
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

I only calibrate when flying some where new.
2018-2-20
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

I've found even just leaving the Mavic sitting in it's case for a couple of days a compass re-calibration is a good idea - after a few occasions where I've experienced a 'compass calibration error' mid flight, and the unit going into ATTI mode because there's a mismatch between the compass and the GPS direction calculation. Also have to re-calibrate the compass on the Cristalsky I use with the RC controller. It seems even when not near any heavy magnetic fields the compasses can drift out of calibration after a few days just sitting in storage. So every time I fly - I go through the DJI drone dance - pirouetting on the spot for a couple of turns - much to the bemusement of passersby!
2018-2-20
Use props
Marian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 340597 ft
Austria

I only calibrate when flying somewhere new (i.e) flying to another country. Otherwise when the app tells me to do so, not that it did so far.
2018-2-20
Use props
fansf77370fb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008924 ft
United States

Only when it tells me too.
2018-2-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Whenever I change flight locations.
2018-2-20
Use props
Topshelf Crow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 406076 ft
  • >>>
United States

You suppose to do that?  ¯\_()_/¯
2018-2-20
Use props
FlyingFish82
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3662503 ft
  • >>>
United States

i calibrate when i travel more than 100 miles away from last calibration, or change in altitude of more than 1000 ft.
2018-2-20
Use props
CycleParadise
lvl.4
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

I calibrate when the app says I need to. First time I flew I needed to calibrate. Maybe one other time since then.
2018-2-20
Use props
frankengels
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2273796 ft
Belgium

I learned after my Mavic had some switches to ATTI mode that it is better to check these advanced settings in my preflight checks. Since then no unattended switch to ATTI mode anymore.
Later I saw that DJI is recommending the same in one of their tutorials :-)
2018-2-20
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

Mavic Pro User Manual v2.0, page 54:

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/Mavic%20Pro%20User%20Manual%20V2.0-.pdf

It is recommended to calibrate the compass in any of the following situations when flying outdoors:
  • Flying at a location farther than 10 km away from the last flight location.
  • The aircraft hasn’t been flown for more than one month.
  • A compass interference warning appears in the DJI GO 4 app, and the warning persists after changing location.
2018-2-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

BumblerBee Posted at 2018-2-20 12:57
Mavic Pro User Manual v2.0, page 54:

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/mavic/Mavic%20Pro%20User%20Manual%20V2.0-.pdf

There is conflict in all dji manuals, Mavic went from don’t calibrate until app tells you to calibrate every 10km, Spark not until app tells you, MavAir every 50 km, P4Pro only when app tells you, I think the right way is wait for app to tell you , calibration because you move to new location is ridiculous unless it to a location with much different declination, it’s an urban myth that you need to calibrate when moving to new location.
I have used my Mavic Pro in Spain Sweden Hungary & UK, I have never needed to calibrate and to do so would not have made my compass any better so why would I need to calibrate, nobody seems to be able to say why you would need to do this including dji so I’m still waiting for reasons that calibration is needed.
2018-2-20
Use props
Monkey007
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 73775046 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Swedrone Posted at 2018-2-20 06:49
Never have and never will

Can't say that with the Mavic Air LOLLL
2018-2-20
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>
United States

1 & 3 are pretty much the same thing.
2018-2-20
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

FatherXmas Posted at 2018-2-20 16:35
1 & 3 are pretty much the same thing.

Should be, but in the latest Mavic pro manual it's almost 2 & 3, a backward step. With recommendation to calibrate if more than 10km away from previous location.

Not required.
2018-2-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

I "Only calibrate when the DJI Go App says to" which is every single time I go to fly.
2018-2-20
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Lamplighter55 Posted at 2018-2-20 09:32
I've found even just leaving the Mavic sitting in it's case for a couple of days a compass re-calibration is a good idea - after a few occasions where I've experienced a 'compass calibration error' mid flight, and the unit going into ATTI mode because there's a mismatch between the compass and the GPS direction calculation. Also have to re-calibrate the compass on the Cristalsky I use with the RC controller. It seems even when not near any heavy magnetic fields the compasses can drift out of calibration after a few days just sitting in storage. So every time I fly - I go through the DJI drone dance - pirouetting on the spot for a couple of turns - much to the bemusement of passersby!

Thank goodness, not one of my three vehicles with electronic compasses, even when left to set for week, have to be re-calibrated.  Even when vehicles are driven couple hundred miles away from their home bases.
2018-2-20
Use props
DINGO DOWN UNDA
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3058816 ft
Australia

I have taken mine thousands of klms in my 4x4 in Australia and all I do is check sensors before takeoff...if all looks good I fly. Touch wood.....I have never had a problem ! (yet ).
2018-2-21
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, here are some scenarios that we suggest calibrating the compass:
1. When compass data is abnormal, and the Aircraft Status Indicator is blinking red and yellow.
2. When flying in a new location, or a location that is different from your last flight.
3. When the aircraft moves erratically during flight, i.e. the drone doesn't fly in straight lines.
You can go this route: MC Settings--Advanced Settings--Sensor--Compass--calibrate.
2018-2-22
Use props
Locationscout_Bavaria
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62201 ft
Germany

I calibrate the compass of my android phone before every flight. Only did calibration on Spark after buying.
2018-2-25
Use props
rikk08
Captain
Flight distance : 21877946 ft
  • >>>
Malta

I always calibrate when visiting a new country and before every flight I check the sensors and calibrate accordingly. No need to calibrate before every single flight.
2018-2-25
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
First Officer

United States

Randomly answered to collect my monies....
2018-2-27
Use props
DJT_MVSP
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

Have never calibrated since I got it. No issues whatsoever
2018-2-27
Use props
GrahamG
lvl.4
Flight distance : 73369 ft
United Kingdom

Never have, was calibrated in China and works fine in the uk, so re-calibrating when you go to new sites...waste of time.
2018-2-28
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

So many ways to do a simple thing!
2018-2-28
Use props
Skymax.
lvl.3
Australia

According to DJI non-calibration is one of the most common contributors to "Fly-Aways".

Also the auto land is more precise if you hav calibrated that session.

What the heck, a $1000 toy and to improve its safety  you only have to take a few seconds extra before takeoff.

If you get a total "Disconnect" from the phone/tablet having a precise compass will make it easier to fly you're bird home by using the Distance  Indicator on the controller.
2018-3-2
Use props
Skymax.
lvl.3
Australia

According to DJI non-calibration is one of the most common contributors to "Fly-Aways".

What the heck, a $1000 toy and to improve its safety  you only have to take a few seconds extra before takeoff.

If you get a total "Disconnect" from the phone/tablet having a precise compass will make it easier to fly you're bird home by using the Distance  Indicator on the controller.
2018-3-2
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Skymax. Posted at 2018-3-2 23:13
According to DJI non-calibration is one of the most common contributors to "Fly-Aways".

In practice though it often turns out to be the complete opposite. In an ideal world calibrating each time should not do any harm (although not required). But it seems to happen quite often that the compass can be badly calibrated, which leads to conflict with the GPS data, aircraft switches to ATTI, and often gets carried off in the wind.

One point to note is that they did not recommend calibration each time in the previous manual, nor in the current Spark,  P4P and P4 Advanced manuals ($2000 toys), or indeed the Inspire 2 manual ($$$$ toy). They all use the same technologies.

Bad calibration is one of the most common causes of 'fly away', along with unexpected high wind  speed.
2018-3-3
Use props
Sasquad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

Never calibrated my P3A after the first time. It is not necessary to do it if the app isn’t asking for it. My P3A always indicated “compass normal” at start up.
2018-3-3
Use props
HenryHM
lvl.4
Flight distance : 795404 ft
Australia

seems safer to do it when the app notify us on Mavic Air Right?
2018-3-3
Use props
W.T. Foxtrot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1316732 ft
  • >>>
United States

Suggestion: you need a choice for "after changing locations plus when the app calls for it" -- I am assuming we call that following manufacturer's directions.
2018-3-7
Use props
Ardenno
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1877910 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I have only calibrate compass if app ask.
2018-3-7
Use props
Ratnow
lvl.2
Flight distance : 840669 ft
United States

I calibrate the compass if I am taking off from a different location. I often check the IMU bars and if they are too long I calibrate
2018-3-8
Use props
Ratnow
lvl.2
Flight distance : 840669 ft
United States

I calibrate the compass if I am taking off from a different location. I often check the IMU bars and if they are too long I calibrate them even if they are green. Better safe than sorry
2018-3-8
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-2-22 04:34
Hi, here are some scenarios that we suggest calibrating the compass:
1. When compass data is abnormal, and the Aircraft Status Indicator is blinking red and yellow.
2. When flying in a new location, or a location that is different from your last flight.

Hi Thor, why was it changed? I asked for this on this post: https://forum.dji.com/thread-140230-1-1.html

It used to be: Do it only when prompted.
2018-3-21
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Does this only apply to Mavic or all DJI drones including the Spark?
2018-3-21
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-3-21 14:20
Does this only apply to Mavic or all DJI drones including the Spark?

Page 49 of the spark Manual advises you only to calibrate when prompted by the Application or Status indicators, which is what the majority of voters are advocating in this poll. My only caveat to that might be if it were flying erratically and no indication of cause.
2018-3-21
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules