Weird Video - Jello
1237 29 2018-2-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
calmari
lvl.3
Flight distance : 64944 ft
United Kingdom

I am experiencing some weird effects that I have not seen before. The Mavic Pro is probably just under a year old and it hasn't been flown that much due to time issues and weather. There have been no crashes.

I understand what I am experiencing may be referred to as jello. It happens an awful lot and I am sure I would have seen it before now if it was happening.

In this short 17 sec clip example, the Mavic is pointing forward and moving right to left. The Mavic is at full stick initially but I back it off before the end. The wobble in the video that starts just before the 12sec mark is what I am concerned about. The wind was very low.

Should this be happening? Is this excessive? This is at the end of a motion but it is not the only occasion it happens.
What can I do to try and rectify it or eliminate causes?

2018-2-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Firstly, that is not a jello effect. Jello is caused by a rolling shutter when panning too fast and will make straight lines look bent such a buildings appearing to lean to the side in an image. This is a malfunction of the gimbal I'm sorry to say. Reset and recalibrate everything including the camera and if it persists then ship it back under the 12 month warranty (before it runs out) for repair/replacement. I take it you do not have a heavy ND filter on the lens?
2018-2-20
Use props
Jos A
First Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

did you fly with the platinum props??? also inspect your props, all good then apply what A CW says
2018-2-20
Use props
calmari
lvl.3
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-2-20 11:07
Firstly, that is not a jello effect. Jello is caused by a rolling shutter when panning too fast and will make straight lines look bent such a buildings appearing to lean to the side in an image. This is a malfunction of the gimbal I'm sorry to say. Reset and recalibrate everything including the camera and if it persists then ship it back under the 12 month warranty (before it runs out) for repair/replacement. I take it you do not have a heavy ND filter on the lens?

Thanks for the reply. The only calibration that was done prior to this video was compass calibration and a couple of reset to default options. I’ll take a look at what else I can calibrate. No ND filter fitted.
2018-2-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

calmari Posted at 2018-2-20 13:15
Thanks for the reply. The only calibration that was done prior to this video was compass calibration and a couple of reset to default options. I’ll take a look at what else I can calibrate. No ND filter fitted.

Reset the camera for sure mate and ensure you're on the latest firmware if using 8331 props.
2018-2-20
Use props
calmari
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Jos A Posted at 2018-2-20 11:11
did you fly with the platinum props??? also inspect your props, all good then apply what A CW says

Thanks for your reply. Standard Mavic props fitted. All look secure and okay. Gimbal plate looks to be mounted correctly from comparing it to other videos I’ve seen. Gimbal ribbon cables look straight and free from restrictions.
2018-2-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

calmari Posted at 2018-2-20 13:20
Thanks for your reply. Standard Mavic props fitted. All look secure and okay. Gimbal plate looks to be mounted correctly from comparing it to other videos I’ve seen. Gimbal ribbon cables look straight and free from restrictions.

and the gimbal is plated correctly too? If so - then do the camera reset, calibrate the IMU and gimbal and if that fails do a factory reset using Assistant 2 and also ensure that FW is UTD. Fingers crossed that fixes it or you need to contact DJI support asap and ship it back before that 12 month warranty lapses.
2018-2-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Jos A Posted at 2018-2-20 11:11

I have seen this effect when one of the props was out of balance. You won't notice until you change them.
If you have a spare pair of both ones, I would suggest trying that.
2018-2-20
Use props
calmari
lvl.3
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-2-20 13:17
Reset the camera for sure mate and ensure you're on the latest firmware if using 8331 props.

I've reset the camera, but as far as I can see that is only resetting the resolution, fps, PAL/NTSC etc so not sure if I am doing the right thing with that. I've reset the gimbal also and calibrated the IMU.

All firmware, app and iOS are up to date.

Test flights tomorrow again hopefully.
2018-2-20
Use props
calmari
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-2-20 14:02
I have seen this effect when one of the props was out of balance. You won't notice until you change them.
If you have a spare pair of both ones, I would suggest trying that.

Thanks. I'll take a look at that if all else fails. Test flight tomorrow hopefully.
2018-2-20
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

calmari Posted at 2018-2-20 16:59
Thanks. I'll take a look at that if all else fails. Test flight tomorrow hopefully.

Good luck!
2018-2-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

calmari Posted at 2018-2-20 16:57
I've reset the camera, but as far as I can see that is only resetting the resolution, fps, PAL/NTSC etc so not sure if I am doing the right thing with that. I've reset the gimbal also and calibrated the IMU.

All firmware, app and iOS are up to date.

Cool - fingers crossed that fixes it and yep, put a fresh set of 8330 props on.
2018-2-20
Use props
calmari
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Well I’ve reset everything mentioned etc. Put new props on and sadly it is still the same. I managed to get the shutter down to 2x the fps today and there is something still apparent but it’s not quite the same. Vids to follow later when I get the chance to sort them out.
2018-2-21
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

calmari Posted at 2018-2-21 14:21
Well I’ve reset everything mentioned etc. Put new props on and sadly it is still the same. I managed to get the shutter down to 2x the fps today and there is something still apparent but it’s not quite the same. Vids to follow later when I get the chance to sort them out.

Sorry to read that - with all of that trouble shooting covered it looks like plan B. You either have to work with it and edit out the shakes as and when they show up in your footage or contact DJI support and get it fixed before the warranty runs out - that will mean being without your drone for potentially weeks and from what I've read and you probably won't get the same drone back - more than likely a refurb.
2018-2-21
Use props
calmari
lvl.3
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-2-21 14:27
Sorry to read that - with all of that trouble shooting covered it looks like plan B. You either have to work with it and edit out the shakes as and when they show up in your footage or contact DJI support and get it fixed before the warranty runs out - that will mean being without your drone for potentially weeks and from what I've read and you probably won't get the same drone back - more than likely a refurb.

Yes it looks like plan b. I really don’t like the idea of getting someone else’s drone back. This one has been  looked after and the thought of getting one that’s been knocked about and abused is annoying.
2018-2-21
Use props
calmari
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Here's 2 of the video tests today. Zero wind on these again with the sticks at maybe 50-75% throttle.
The first is showing exactly the same as before. Shot at 24fps and 1/500th sec shutter.

The second video still shows a problem but it isn't quite the same as before, it looks more like judder. Shot at 24fps and 1/50th sec shutter.

2018-2-21
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

Am wondering if the temperature might be affecting the gimbal supports - rubber goes hard at near zero deg C.
2018-2-22
Use props
calmari
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Lamplighter55 Posted at 2018-2-22 11:54
Am wondering if the temperature might be affecting the gimbal supports - rubber goes hard at near zero deg C.

I'm not sure about that, it's not too cold here at the moment. It's within the operating temps I would have thought.
2018-2-23
Use props
calmari
lvl.3
United Kingdom

I've opened a dialogue with DJI support now and they instructed me to refresh the firmware and reset camera settings again and test. I've done that and it is still the same. Possibly a little worse actually but it is windier today.
2018-2-23
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
United Kingdom

calmari Posted at 2018-2-23 07:31
I've opened a dialogue with DJI support now and they instructed me to refresh the firmware and reset camera settings again and test. I've done that and it is still the same. Possibly a little worse actually but it is windier today.

I'm think its the wind / air turbulence that's creating this to happen. I've seen my MPP wobble about as the various eddies sweep past it. If the counter reaction is too harsh it could be causing the gimbal shudder as it tries to compensate.
2018-2-23
Use props
calmari
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Lamplighter55 Posted at 2018-2-23 08:10
I'm think its the wind / air turbulence that's creating this to happen. I've seen my MPP wobble about as the various eddies sweep past it. If the counter reaction is too harsh it could be causing the gimbal shudder as it tries to compensate.

I can understand that logic but it's happening on windless days too. In the castle footage, there was next to no wind at all.

I've flown in windier conditions and not seen this effect before.
2018-2-23
Use props
Celsus
Second Officer
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

I had a very similar fault. DJI replaced the camera and gimbal assembly to resolve the problem. I would send it off to DJI for a repair sooner rather than later if you have warranty or a Refresh warranty.
2018-2-23
Use props
Lamplighter55
Second Officer
United Kingdom

calmari Posted at 2018-2-23 08:19
I can understand that logic but it's happening on windless days too. In the castle footage, there was next to no wind at all.

I've flown in windier conditions and not seen this effect before.

Humm that does sound like something more is up. Sorry, but it does suggest getting it swapped/repaired under warranty. I'll need to do some tests myself, as now I'm not so sure if what was/is happening with my MPP is the same or similar - and not wind induced at all!?
2018-2-23
Use props
calmari
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Just had the repair quote from DJI. They are replacing the Gimbal Control PCB under warranty. Otherwise, it would have been €66.53 plus postage from the UK to the Netherlands and back I guess.
2018-3-5
Use props
calmari
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Eventually received my Mavic back although it is a different unit. Now I cannot connect.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... amp;fromuid=1039318
2018-3-9
Use props
TexasAerials
Second Officer
Flight distance : 566952 ft
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-2-20 11:07
Firstly, that is not a jello effect. Jello is caused by a rolling shutter when panning too fast and will make straight lines look bent such a buildings appearing to lean to the side in an image. This is a malfunction of the gimbal I'm sorry to say. Reset and recalibrate everything including the camera and if it persists then ship it back under the 12 month warranty (before it runs out) for repair/replacement. I take it you do not have a heavy ND filter on the lens?

Yes, that is jello effect, caused by the camera shaking as the rolling shutter is, well, rolling.  just look at gopro footage from a racing drone where there is something causing a vibration.  if something started vibrating on the mavic at that point, or a resonance was set up for some reason.  you can see a similar jello effect sometimes when flying in windy conditions and the wind buffets the gimbal.  
2018-3-9
Use props
Ken Huang
lvl.3
Australia

I have this problem for my new Mavic Pro and I try everything they told me, no luck, I send it back to DJI and I have got a new one, it works beautiful.
2018-3-9
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

TexasAerials Posted at 2018-3-9 20:10
Yes, that is jello effect, caused by the camera shaking as the rolling shutter is, well, rolling.  just look at gopro footage from a racing drone where there is something causing a vibration.  if something started vibrating on the mavic at that point, or a resonance was set up for some reason.  you can see a similar jello effect sometimes when flying in windy conditions and the wind buffets the gimbal.

Jello effects are caused by electronic shutters which these personal drones have. That is why the P4P, which has a mechanical shutter, does not produce a jello effect. Read up on it...
2018-3-9
Use props
TexasAerials
Second Officer
Flight distance : 566952 ft
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-3-9 23:41
Jello effects are caused by electronic shutters which these personal drones have. That is why the P4P, which has a mechanical shutter, does to produce a jello effect. Read up on it...

Yeah, I know.  I was simply pointing out that the jello effect is not only caused by quick panning, it can be caused by a vibration moving the camera as well.  
2018-3-10
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yep, electronic shutters, fast pans and heavy vibrations all cause it. This however is more of a heavy vibration caused by a fault in the drone somewhere rather than a classic rolling shutter distortion causing a jello effect - that was my point.  
2018-3-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules