Hover over water with Mavic
998 10 2018-2-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 100220 ft
Canada

I would like to know what would happen in this situation.

On my boat on the water with no land around
I have a mavic pro in the air
I have turned off my dynamic RTH
I have 60% battery
I have set my RTH to 25 meters
I have set my RTH to Hover
I am in Active Trac at 40 meters altitude and 10 meters behind boat as it is moving at oh 25 Klms / hr
All of a sudden the connection is lost and RTH is activated !

#1)  Does the mavic stop at its current altitude of 40 meters and hover  ?
#2)  Or, does it stop in its current position and reduce altitude to 25 meters and then Hover at its current possition ?
#3) Is it possible to have the RTH hover altitude set to 5 meters without a auto land taking over ?

Thanks

2018-2-20
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

"I have set my RTH to Hover"

To my understanding, you can't set RTH to hover, but you can set the procedure when disconnection occurs to hover.

If that is want you ment to say, it should just hover
2018-2-20
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes you can set it to hover, no it will not drop to 25m it will stay at 40m. I don’t believe you can set it to hover at five meters. No you cannot set it to RTH at 5m
2018-2-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Failsafe (meaning signal loss) can be set to RTH, hover or land. If RTH is set then, given your scenario, it will return to the original home point (with dynamic HP turned off as you state) at it's current altitude as 1. the drone is more then 5 metres from your current position and less than 20 metres and 2. it's altitude already exceeds 10m. The drone will cruise back at 9MPH in this case providing you have the forward vision system engaged - if you have turned off the OA it will land where it is. And it will obviously land when back at the home point upon its return... & into the sea if you don't regain control...
2018-2-20
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Canada

So, in consideration of the above scenario

#1) Mavic will hover at 40 meters
#2) Mavic will not change altitude when set on hover
#3) Can not set RTH ALTITUDE to 5 meteres

In regards to #3 its now not import if the altitude isn't altered by the Mavic in Hover like when returning to the home point.
What I want to establish and confirm that If I am in good water and loose connection and or RTH is engaged IT WILL NOT LAND AND JUST HOVER. By hovering I can get underneath it and hopefully re connect or catch it on its force landing due to low battery. Last thing I want is it to fly off somewhere or land immediately.
2018-2-20
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Canada

Re #2 above, I ment the drones altitude to hover will not change upon disconnect or RTH
2018-2-20
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Salmonslayer Posted at 2018-2-20 11:04
So, in consideration of the above scenario

#1) Mavic will hover at 40 meters

It's in the manual: -

2018-2-20
Use props
Salmonslayer
lvl.4
Canada

Thanks A CW
2018-2-20
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

"By hovering I can get underneath it and hopefully re connect or catch it on its force landing due to low battery. Last thing I want is it to fly off somewhere or land immediately."

I wander, when disconnected, will the 'low battery RTH' get skipped, keep hovering and just wait for a critical battery landing?

2018-2-20
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-2-20 23:42
"By hovering I can get underneath it and hopefully re connect or catch it on its force landing due to low battery. Last thing I want is it to fly off somewhere or land immediately."

I wander, when disconnected, will the 'low battery RTH' get skipped, keep hovering and just wait for a critical battery landing?

You could always disable that feature, which most would when flying from a boat, can be done in 'General Settings' / 'Aircraft Battery' and disable 'smart return to home' which in this case refers to low battery RTH.
2018-2-21
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Netherlands

Aardvark Posted at 2018-2-21 06:58
You could always disable that feature, which most would when flying from a boat, can be done in 'General Settings' / 'Aircraft Battery' and disable 'smart return to home' which in this case refers to low battery RTH.

Sweet! That's good to know. Thanks for sharing!
2018-2-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules