Why is DJI more restrictive than the FAA?
1980 12 2018-2-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansfcfd4e3a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18865 ft
United States

Why am I having to jump through more hoops to fly a DJI drone than the FAA requires?
I’ve been a certificated private pilot for 17 years (yes, longer than consumer UAVs have been around), I’m regularly at airports, perform search and rescue functions and training, and work with community youth in STEM learning functions. I was very disappointed to learn that when I was about to give a demo of the Mavic, my local UNCONTROLLED airfield is comsidered a NFZ by DJI down to the surface, although the FAA does not restrict flight beyond requiring permission from the airport manager. Instead, I need to request that DJI unlock my flight EACH time that I intend to fly, instead of relying on a UAV pilot to follow FAA rules?

I don’t feel any safer as a people-plane pilot by this practice, I’m more concerned with the operators who are flying their UAV’s out of LOS, and at nonlegal altitudes, which DJI allows.

There should be a mechanism in place to allow FAA-Certificated UAS pilots to unlock areas on a long-term basis. Aren't all flights being tracked by DJI, anyway? DJI would surely provide this data in the event of an incident.

Flying near an airfield doesn't necessarily mean flying into the approach path of manned aircraft!

Not that DJI would ever be concerned with whether or not I endorse their product, I cannot recommend DJI to anyone comparing UAV products, until we have some common-sense rules.

World Leader in camera drones? Why does the Self-Unlock site require that I select From a long list of drone types and then enter my controller number? Doesn't DJI already have this data for my drone from my  account? I had to sign in to use the site! Yeah, okay, MAYBE I could be flying someone else's UAV, but that should be in a selectionfor "other".

And why does the map always center on DC? No one is going to get an authorization there! Why isn't it intelligent enough to use my current location?
2018-2-20
Use props
Jake Fortune
lvl.2
Flight distance : 187408 ft
United States

You are literally screaming into a void.  I have tried to get unlocks to fly at an airport.  I have a commercial drone license. a pilot's license, and work at an aircraft brokerage.  I want to make marketing videos with the drone, instead of using a handheld and riding in the back of a truck to get the circular shot with a handheld camera.  I've gotten the unlock codes several times, and STILL can not get the drone to fly here.  The airport manager is fine with what I want to do, but DJI apparently is not.  DJI's solution?  "Make sure you are doing it right."  Legendary fail, DJI.
2018-3-8
Use props
PS013
First Officer
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

Well, things should get better in the coming months as LAANC is getting implemented

https://www.faa.gov/uas/programs_partnerships/uas_data_exchange/

https://www.airmap.com/laanc-air ... nsion-500-airports/

Since DJI is one of the partner of AIRMAP, I think it is reasonable to think some changes will be coming soon.
2018-3-8
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

I like this DJI unlock/NFZ feature and I think it should stay. All the noobs go for DJI drones and it is really causing problems. The rules are getting more and more strict while the number of incidents augment.

Here's my fix for your problem: update your firmware to the latest one and don't ever connect to the Internet when the DJI GO APP is open. I don't need to unlock my drone anymore and can fly pretty much anywhere because the APP cannot know if I'm in a NFZ or not.
Note: You might have to delete and re-install the app for this to work. Install the app in a place where drones CAN fly and then don't connect to the internet with DJI GO ever again.
2018-3-8
Use props
fansfcfd4e3a
lvl.1
United States

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-3-8 12:13
I like this DJI unlock/NFZ feature and I think it should stay. All the noobs go for DJI drones and it is really causing problems. The rules are getting more and more strict while the number of incidents augment.

Here's my fix for your problem: update your firmware to the latest one and don't ever connect to the Internet when the DJI GO APP is open. I don't need to unlock my drone anymore and can fly pretty much anywhere because the APP cannot know if I'm in a NFZ or not.

Interesting, I will try that. I found another potential solution that I need to test, and suspect it will get deleted if i post it, but will after I test both.
2018-3-10
Use props
fansfcfd4e3a
lvl.1
United States

To your point, as long as the DJI system is crafted around the needs of the noobs, the needs of the pros will drive those pros to find alternatives with other manufacturers. Its pretty simple.

There is no mechanism in place to keep the noobs in check while permitting the pros to sustain their business needs.
2018-3-10
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Email Flysafe@dji.com and give them your controller SN and coordinates for a custom unlock. You may need to send in paperwork of some sort and email them every 3 months to renew the custom unlock. (this is what I do) I live near an airport (Class G) and had to do this to stop the madness.
2018-3-10
Use props
QuadKid
First Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Here's my fix for your problem: update your firmware to the latest one and don't ever connect to the Internet when the DJI GO APP is open. I don't need to unlock my drone anymore and can fly pretty much anywhere because the APP cannot know if I'm in a NFZ or not.

Pretty sure the NFZ database is embedded on the Internal SD card within the drone (same as the .DAT files), so from point of activation this information resides internally, therefore once you have a GPS lock it already knows your position and will restrict your flight. I have tried to fly in a NFZ not using a device at all just the RC and it would not let me start the motors then I tried it with the App, same result. I think with every update the most recent NFZ is included with that update. What makes me think that is that when I'm updated to the latest FW I do not get reminders for awhile then all of a sudden I will get a reminder to update NFZ Database, this is telling me that updated NFZ's are more frequent than the FW Updates.

Somewhere, Someplace there is an IT guy that can make our drones truly "OURS", maybe somewhere over the rainbow!
2018-3-10
Use props
HDBOB
lvl.2
United States

DJI should let us 107 pilots input our "on file" FAA 107 Certificate number to completely remove the geo fencing and let us fly under the FAA rules for 107 Pilots.
2018-3-10
Use props
AngelAndres
lvl.1
United States

Frustrated!

We just got completely denied by DJI's NFZ issue.

We received a LAANC authorization to fly in KAPA's airspace (Centennial Airport in the Denver, CO, USA area) up to 150feet AGL this evening via Airmap's app. Our pilot entered the DJI app and followed the unlock procedure to remove the "Geo" zone, including entering the six-digit token that was texted to me. After he got that far, he tried to take off and was hit with the dreaded, "NFZ" warning. Some quick research led me to DJI's website and these forums where I now find that we have to give DJI up to 5 days notice to unlock our drone for a limited period.

DJI has taken our convenient, well thought out instant airspace authorization system and made it utterly useless.

We have 10 DJI drones locally here in our fleet and hundreds company wide across the country. Do we need to sell them all and move on to restriction-free solutions from some other companies? Does anyone have any suggestions of such platforms on to which we can move on?

Thanks ahead of time for your thoughtful responses.

Kind regards,
2019-3-19
Use props
JHollimanPhoto
lvl.4
Flight distance : 82802 ft
United States

HDBOB Posted at 2018-3-10 06:57
DJI should let us 107 pilots input our "on file" FAA 107 Certificate number to completely remove the geo fencing and let us fly under the FAA rules for 107 Pilots.

This is actually a good idea. Certification verification and unlock.
2019-3-19
Use props
*DM*
Second Officer
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

DJI restrictions are good and necessary. For the few affected badly by it NLD are currently working on a hack but I think it's unlikely they will succeed with the latest Mavics as they've been trying since launch and much of the software wizards that have been working on it seem to have stopped.

Yuneec?
2019-3-20
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think DJI is playing it safe.
2019-3-20
Use props
Advanced