Mavic Air Fantastic stable, where is my zoom ?
12158 31 2018-2-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Paulus59
lvl.1
Netherlands

Mavic Air,

proud new owner and my first drone the DJI Mavic Air,
fantanstic drone , fantastic video and impressed stable see here ->  

ther is however 1 thing i am missing on this Drone :  a digital zoom function !

please DJI add a update with digital zoom ! this would be the best drone of 2018
2018-2-21
Use props
Chasing Light & Shadows
Second Officer
Flight distance : 221476 ft
United Kingdom

That's impressive, the video quality is sooooo much better than the Mavic Pro. Need me a Mavic Pro 2.
2018-2-21
Use props
Datadogie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 27028 ft
Netherlands

Video in 4k then zoom in with video editor.
2018-2-21
Use props
Paulus59
lvl.1
Netherlands

@daaadogie so i can accomplish that in my video editor ?
2018-2-21
Use props
the0bone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11896 ft
Germany

Please DJI do not add a digital zoom!
Everybody can do that in post if he want to.
2018-2-21
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, Mavic Air doesn't support zooming at the moment, I will forward this request to our engineers. Hopefully, they will take it into consideration.
2018-2-22
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nice video!   
2018-2-22
Use props
Paulus59
lvl.1
Netherlands

@DJI Thor : that would be awsome and make this drone the best over the best !  i sincerely hope you can get it done !  thanks
we have some buttons left to program them for zooming it would make this drone more then fantastic ;-)

@A CW  : Thank you , its my first flight and editing ;-)
2018-2-22
Use props
Paulus59
lvl.1
Netherlands

the0bone Posted at 2018-2-21 04:54

well if you dont want it then dont use it ,
a lot people witch iam one of them wants to have a digital zoom on it ;-)

in my opinion it makes the drone complete ;-)

ty btw for you comment,
2018-2-22
Use props
djiuser_tDztjuSfRovu
New
Spain

que clase de solicitud es esa, no confundamos el tocino con la velociad
2018-5-14
Use props
SparksBird
First Officer
Flight distance : 10731690 ft
United States

It is my understanding that if you do zoom 4k it no longer is 4k anyway isn't that right?  So might as well shoot in 1080p as there you can zoom.  Or as already suggested you can zoom post process.
2018-5-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

SparksBird Posted at 2018-5-14 09:49
It is my understanding that if you do zoom 4k it no longer is 4k anyway isn't that right?  So might as well shoot in 1080p as there you can zoom.  Or as already suggested you can zoom post process.

It will no longer be 1080p, you have plenty of room with 4K to zoom in post and most people will only watch these videos in 1080p so there is no real noticeable quality issues.
2018-5-14
Use props
djiuser_iTYmGJ1Ipw3c
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6766027 ft
United States

Very nice video, how are you getting such quality with your 4k? what are your settings? are u using a filter? My 4k is not as crystal clear as yours and I shoot at 4k 30fps.
2018-5-14
Use props
New Drone Pilot
lvl.2
United States

Not too much experience flying the Mavic Air yet, but every time I've taken it up, I get high wind warnings.  When I view the video, it's always rock steady.  DJI has done great job with the gimbal on the Mavic Air.

As far as digital zoom, I would do that in post processing.  What video editing software do you use?  I am using Adobe Premiere Pro and you can do just about any kind of transformation, including scaling, which would effectively be like digital zoom.

For still pictures, just about any image editing software will do a better job zooming (cropping) than with a camera.
2018-5-14
Use props
PhantomMan78
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12834006 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-5-14 09:59
It will no longer be 1080p, you have plenty of room with 4K to zoom in post and most people will only watch these videos in 1080p so there is no real noticeable quality issues.

The problem with filming in 4K for those of us who fly all the time and film a lot will be the lack of space to hold all the footage. It becomes a lot in 4K.  So, that would mean far less ability to stay up and get the takes and images you need, complete for something much easier to deal with in the editing room too, might I add.  Digital zoom on 1080P is at the very least what one needs on this drone to use it for anything that one may use a Mavic Pro for, even in a remote way. My guess is that they left it out to give the Mavic one thing more.. I don't think that's cool.. I think it' be better to put it in.
2018-7-17
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

Why would someone want to zoom digitally on 1080p? You would see the pixels on the video. Quality would be bad.
If you want a digital zoom, just film in 4K and zoom / crop / scale in post. You have room to zoom in until you reach the 1080p without loss of quality when you render in 1080p / watch the movie on a 1080p monitor.
2018-7-17
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>

Coll video.
2018-7-17
Use props
dronto
Second Officer
Singapore

nice work and thanks for sharing
2018-7-17
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

PhantomMan78 Posted at 2018-7-17 19:36
The problem with filming in 4K for those of us who fly all the time and film a lot will be the lack of space to hold all the footage. It becomes a lot in 4K.  So, that would mean far less ability to stay up and get the takes and images you need, complete for something much easier to deal with in the editing room too, might I add.  Digital zoom on 1080P is at the very least what one needs on this drone to use it for anything that one may use a Mavic Pro for, even in a remote way. My guess is that they left it out to give the Mavic one thing more.. I don't think that's cool.. I think it' be better to put it in.

You’ll find if it matterS that much then a 128 card and portable storage device will see you through most long flights and with better footage.
2018-7-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Paulus59 Posted at 2018-2-22 02:07
@DJI Thor : that would be awsome and make this drone the best over the best !  i sincerely hope you can get it done !  thanks
we have some buttons left to program them for zooming it would make this drone more then fantastic ;-)

Good work for first attempt
2018-7-18
Use props
Outdoors
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11644 ft

I must make the case for the opposite.  Not everyone uses the video feed on a drone to record video.  For example, I enjoy taking the drone to the woods or park and observing wildlife.  I have no desire to film it.  I just want to look.  Getting closer is not an option, as it would scare off the wildlife.  A digital zoom would be quite nice.  There are plenty of uses for a digital zoom, whether fed from the drone itself or simply allowing a two finger expanding swipe on the phone/table that makes the viewed image larger (while not impacting any recording occurring on the drone.  

Please DJI, do add digital zoom. If a person doesn't want it then they don't have to use it.  There are plenty of use cases where post production processing is not applicable, but digital zoom fits the requirements nicely.

</2¢>
Andrew

2018-7-19
Use props
Zam44
lvl.2
Flight distance : 60958 ft
Malaysia

Outdoors Posted at 2018-7-19 16:04
I must make the case for the opposite.  Not everyone uses the video feed on a drone to record video.  For example, I enjoy taking the drone to the woods or park and observing wildlife.  I have no desire to film it.  I just want to look.  Getting closer is not an option, as it would scare off the wildlife.  A digital zoom would be quite nice.  There are plenty of uses for a digital zoom, whether fed from the drone itself or simply allowing a two finger expanding swipe on the phone/table that makes the viewed image larger (while not impacting any recording occurring on the drone.  

I totally agree. Would be nice to have the option to zoom.
2018-7-20
Use props
droneAirly
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2082818 ft
Poland

Zam44 Posted at 2018-7-20 05:41
I totally agree. Would be nice to have the option to zoom.

I'm waiting for a zoom option!!!! It is highly recommended because of Parrot Anafi has this 2.8x in 1080p!!! I think about anafi very much.
2018-7-29
Use props
TroutboyNZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1726486 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Zoom in post, shoot in 4K if you must have a zoom, then import that clip into a 1080p timeline - conform to fit 1080p will give you an optical zoom of sorts and you can even move the clip round to compose, digital zooms are terrible to be honest.
2018-7-29
Use props
Alexey Batalov
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Please DO ADD DIGITAL ZOOM 100% . Autel EVO has digital zoom of 8x!!!
Safe Flying;)
2018-7-29
Use props
小仙女的星巴克
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4657841 ft
  • >>>
United States

MAVIC 2 Zoom version
2018-7-29
Use props
Joe_CZ
lvl.2

b.t.w. - I unintentionally succeeded to get the picture on my phone zoomed in , but then I was not able to get it back without restarting the GO4.  I did it by some taping on screen and maybe with a usual gesture for zooming. Happend twice to me, both cases on ground, so no problem. Did anybody eperienced this too? Is there any other thread anywhere related?
2018-7-29
Use props
OneDoesNotSimply
Second Officer
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

saviour Posted at 2018-7-17 21:42
Why would someone want to zoom digitally on 1080p? You would see the pixels on the video. Quality would be bad.
If you want a digital zoom, just film in 4K and zoom / crop / scale in post. You have room to zoom in until you reach the 1080p without loss of quality when you render in 1080p / watch the movie on a 1080p monitor.

If it were implemented properly, the camera would record in 4K when zoomed, but show just a 1080p sized window of it, so no loss of quality.
2018-7-29
Use props
Crasche
lvl.1
United States

How much longer do we wait for an update?
2018-12-8
Use props
Crasche
lvl.1
United States

trying to delete this
2018-12-8
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

PhantomMan78 Posted at 7-17 19:36
The problem with filming in 4K for those of us who fly all the time and film a lot will be the lack of space to hold all the footage. It becomes a lot in 4K.  So, that would mean far less ability to stay up and get the takes and images you need, complete for something much easier to deal with in the editing room too, might I add.  Digital zoom on 1080P is at the very least what one needs on this drone to use it for anything that one may use a Mavic Pro for, even in a remote way. My guess is that they left it out to give the Mavic one thing more.. I don't think that's cool.. I think it' be better to put it in.

256GB microSD cards (with A3 certification, enough speed for some 8K video recording) are available for very reasonable pricing now..  i picked one up for $70 on amazon and verified its real using free tools that write data to all the claimed space then goes back and verifies its all still there and it came back with a pass and speed was also within its certification

if thats too spicy for your liking high speed samsung 128GB is availble for even less around $40
2018-12-8
Use props
fans6a5c79e2
New
United States

nice i have shaking gobo problem...
2018-12-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules