LiDAR attached to DJI gimbal. Is it possible?
1405 2 2018-2-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Harm de Rooij
lvl.2

Netherlands

Hello,

I’m currently working on a new setup with the DJI M210. The setup will have a LiDAR and a camera.

The perfect situation for us is to use the dual gimbals option. In this case one gimbal will carry the LiDAR and the other gimbal will carry the camera.

My question is:

Is it possible to use a DJI gimbal with a LiDAR attached to it instead of the camera? Has it been done yet? I have not find any info about it yet.

We only need the yaw motor of the gimbal to turn 30 RPM, the rest of the motors (for roll and pitch) have no use for us.

Thanks in Advance!

2018-2-21
Use props
DJI-Mark
lvl.4

United States

This is heading into uncharted territory. At this time, I would suggest that this is not possible. The gimbals are designed for camera use with specific types of cameras attached. Have you tried making a customized SDK app for what your needs would be?
2018-2-21
Use props
Consultant
lvl.2

United States

I heard of people mounting small thermal cameras. Seems like if you could find a small enough Lidar unit, it would be a similar setup.  The question is, for the most common applications, would RTK/PPK data interfaced with the Lidar be required so the output files could be geotagged for import into GIS/CAD software where you want absolute positioning or are there a lot of applications using Lidar where geo location isn;'t necessary.  
2018-3-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules