Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air pitching up and and down in Activetrack mode.
1685 13 2018-2-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Peterev
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1785387 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I'm absolutely loving my Air but if I put it in Activetrack, it tracks just fine but even with very little wind, it pitches up and down in a seesaw motion. I have tried turning the EXPs down and the sensitivity but it made little to no difference. Everything else works just fine..

I've also tried refreshing the firmware in Assistant 2 and calibrating the IMU.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
2018-2-21
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Could you please post some illustration video and maybe screenshots too with possible error messages?
2018-2-21
Use props
Peterev
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-2-21 13:15
Could you please post some illustration video and maybe screenshots too with possible error messages?

Thanks, I'll take a video at the weekend. There are no error messages, just the pitching forward and back. The gimbal copes with the movement pretty well considering how it's behaving..
2018-2-21
Use props
$gambino$
First Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Is the air super close to u in active track? Like 6 or 7 ft? Thats probably why idk why it does this but back the drone up some it will be fine
2018-2-21
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi there, please kindly provide us with the video for a better confirmation. BTW, please also post the screenshot of the firmware info (General Settings--About), thank you very much.
2018-2-21
Use props
Peterev
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

$gambino$ Posted at 2018-2-21 16:36
Is the air super close to u in active track? Like 6 or 7 ft? Thats probably why idk why it does this but back the drone up some it will be fine

Thanks. I've tried it at around 5m away and further at around 10m but the same happens, I'll try it even further away then..
2018-2-21
Use props
Socaltyger
New
United States

I'm experiencing the same herky jerky auto-tracking as described by the OP. It's as if when walking the Mavic Air speeds up too fast and has to stop abruptly causing the seesaw back and forth.  When observing the drone as it follows you, you can see the drone pitch forward and backwards as though it is stopping and starting like a teenager learning how to drive for the first time.

In regards to the video, the stabilization makes up for a lot of it.. but it is still NOT as smooth as it could be. This is all under normal non-windy conditions. Strangely enough, when flying backwards and autotracking the video footage is much smoother.  skip to 4:30 mark for backwards tracking.

Here's my test footage:

Firmware info:
2018-2-22
Use props
Peterev
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Socaltyger Posted at 2018-2-22 02:16
I'm experiencing the same herky jerky auto-tracking as described by the OP. It's as if when walking the Mavic Air speeds up too fast and has to stop abruptly causing the seesaw back and forth.  When observing the drone as it follows you, you can see the drone pitch forward and backwards as though it is stopping and starting like a teenager learning how to drive for the first time.

In regards to the video, the stabilization makes up for a lot of it.. but it is still NOT as smooth as it could be. This is all under normal non-windy conditions. Strangely enough, when flying backwards and autotracking the video footage is much smoother.  skip to 4:30 mark for backwards tracking.

I couldn't have put it better myself..

I spoke to DJI support about this issue and they suggested rolling back the firmware to see if it still happens so I'll try that to see if that cures it and then try the latest firmware to see if it reoccurs.
2018-2-22
Use props
Socaltyger
New
United States

Peterev Posted at 2018-2-22 08:14
I couldn't have put it better myself..

I spoke to DJI support about this issue and they suggested rolling back the firmware to see if it still happens so I'll try that to see if that cures it and then try the latest firmware to see if it reoccurs.

I remember it doing the same thing when I first got the Mavic Air before all the recent firmware updates. I've always noticed the stop/start autotracking since the first flights, but this being my very first drone I didn't have anything else to compare with.

When you mentioned it as well in this post, it reassured that someone else was seeing what I was seeing. Because when you are observing the Mavic Air in flight it really does look like it's stopping and starting instead of a smooth follow... as if the drone is in sport mode while tracking instead of maybe a smoother cinematic mode track.
2018-2-22
Use props
Nillok
lvl.1
Flight distance : 51585 ft
Sweden

Socaltyger Posted at 2018-2-22 13:08
I remember it doing the same thing when I first got the Mavic Air before all the recent firmware updates. I've always noticed the stop/start autotracking since the first flights, but this being my very first drone I didn't have anything else to compare with.

When you mentioned it as well in this post, it reassured that someone else was seeing what I was seeing. Because when you are observing the Mavic Air in flight it really does look like it's stopping and starting instead of a smooth follow... as if the drone is in sport mode while tracking instead of maybe a smoother cinematic mode track.

I have the same problem when it's tracking at a low alitude.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/E01hOD1Qa439LQ0d2

2018-2-22
Use props
$gambino$
First Officer
United States

Yea thats what im saying at higher altitudes i dont have this problem .. have not tried in close yet
2018-2-22
Use props
Peterev
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

$gambino$ Posted at 2018-2-22 15:42
Yea thats what im saying at higher altitudes i dont have this problem .. have not tried in close yet

The video that Nillok posted shows the Air at a reasonable distance away from them, I see no reason why it shouldn't work at that distance, it's certainly much further away than the 6 or 7ft you first mentioned.. If it is an altitude rather than distance issue perhaps turning off the downward sensors might have an effect, I'll try that at the weekend too.
2018-2-22
Use props
$gambino$
First Officer
United States

Idk each time i have tried active track it has been fine but has me worried even tested to see how high it would track and put it on my youtube channel 230 ft is impressive. Anyway ill try to test in close and low. Wheather has been rainy got me curious tho
2018-2-22
Use props
Nillok
lvl.1
Flight distance : 51585 ft
United Kingdom

Peterev Posted at 2018-2-22 15:56
The video that Nillok posted shows the Air at a reasonable distance away from them, I see no reason why it shouldn't work at that distance, it's certainly much further away than the 6 or 7ft you first mentioned.. If it is an altitude rather than distance issue perhaps turning off the downward sensors might have an effect, I'll try that at the weekend too.

I will try some following the upcoming week without obstacle avoidance and see if that helps. I'm happy thou I did not have the double altitude when I tested it, if you stick to the end around 6:45 in the movie you will hear an incoming low sniffing helicopter at approximately 100m
2018-2-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules