I1 Repair
1214 6 2015-5-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
petersilver
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Following on from my recent accident with my Inspire 1 where I'd damaged one of the rear arms I was in a quandry whether to send it back to DJI or as others said repair it myself.
Thinking that an own repair with a resin repair kit would certainly invalidate my warrenty I decided to go about it in a different way.
As the split went at an angle along the arm, holding it together seem the way to go using cable clips. Put four of them on and that seems to have done the trick.
I can cut them off if the need arises 'leaving no mark'.

BTW I only had two black lol.

Repair

Repair

Damage

Damage
2015-5-2
Use props
Ph02on
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75673 ft
United Kingdom

I think that will end very badly for you for this reason.  A crack that develops in a material that is under stress loads from both the weight of the inspire on the ground and the thrust of the motor in the air will continue to grow until the point of shear.  This will most likely happen in flight with probable catastrophic results and a lot more damage than you currently have.  If you are reluctant to return it to DJI, then I would suggest that you ground the inspire right away and use a resin or CF repair kit as soon as possible.  Cable ties will not stop that fracture from growing, I can assure you of that.

Good luck
2015-5-2
Use props
petersilver
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Ph02on Posted at 2015-5-2 18:26
I think that will end very badly for you for this reason.  A crack that develops in a material that  ...

I think you may be right. I just tested it and although it flies ok (and I only did it as a temp repair) I will probably send it off to have it done properly.
2015-5-2
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

petersilver Posted at 2015-5-2 18:41
I think you may be right. I just tested it and although it flies ok (and I only did it as a temp r ...

Very dangerous situation i have had experience with it .. get a brand new boom 22mm od 20mm id and repair diy if you dont want to wait 12 weeks
2015-5-2
Use props
Rockeyes
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Please don't do it Peter. Sure you might get away with it for a bit but then the repair bill will be huge and you could up hurting something else. Also you will be on a sticky wicket with a unapproved repair if insurance was involved.
2015-5-2
Use props
roy
lvl.2

United States

If you want to get this fixed much faster than DJI will do it, and possibly cheaper, let me know.

I had a problem with one of the thin carbon fiber rods. I bought the replacement rod from this guy in Florida who shipped the part to me and then walked me through the repair on the phone for over an hour. Very knowledgeable guy and he said he's going to start doing out-of-warranty repairs for people as long as he has the parts. (He buys new Inspires for parts and also buys used/crashed birds for parts.) My repair was way less complicated than yours so I don't think this is something he could walk you through on the phone but he'll probably have your running much faster than going through DJI.

Only downside is that it will likely void your warranty because I'm guessing the warranty sticker will have to be removed to make your repair.

Just posting this as an FYI. I don't get anything from this I just want to pay it forward. Before I bought the part he didn't offer to help with the repair, he just did it because he's a nice guy. If it wasn't for him there isn't a chance in hell I could have fixed it myself so I would have been out the money for the part and still had to send it to DJI for repair. If I had an accident that required a major repair I'd send it to him with confidence. Guy really knows his stuff.
2015-5-4
Use props
petersilver
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Thanks for all the comments, I phoned DJI support in Germany and they have sent me an RMA number so I'm just now waiting for UPS to pick it up.

I'll let DJI do the repair to save me a lot of hassle.
2015-5-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules