Post-processing software of choice?
3290 34 2018-2-21
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
windgate
lvl.3
United States

I'm seeing some pretty amazing footage created by some of the Mavic Air owners.
I would really appreciate what post-processing software is being used by MA owners?
Please also mention whether you are working within Mac or Windows environment.
Thanks for recommendaions!
2018-2-21
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi. I'm using Wondersoft Filmora on my Win 10 PC. I've investigated others, and Filmora is light on PC CPU demands, and quite intuitive to use. In terms of capability, many will suggest DaVinci Recode, but it's the exact opposite of what I just described for Filmora.
If you want to see what it can do, I've posted a video on the relevant forum here for "Tathra Heads, NSW Australia".
2018-2-21
Use props
windgate
lvl.3
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-2-21 18:14
Hi. I'm using Wondersoft Filmora on my Win 10 PC. I've investigated others, and Filmora is light on PC CPU demands, and quite intuitive to use. In terms of capability, many will suggest DaVinci Recode, but it's the exact opposite of what I just described for Filmora.
If you want to see what it can do, I've posted a video on the relevant forum here for "Tathra Heads, NSW Australia".

Thanks for the reply. Watched the video you mentioned and posted... nicely done.
I'm on a Mac and had tried DaVinci Resolve in the past -- seemed to have a sharp learning curve and worked my Macbook Pro processor pretty hard. I'll take a look at Filmora, as your suggest.
2018-2-21
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

windgate Posted at 2018-2-21 18:27
Thanks for the reply. Watched the video you mentioned and posted... nicely done.
I'm on a Mac and had tried DaVinci Resolve in the past -- seemed to have a sharp learning curve and worked my Macbook Pro processor pretty hard. I'll take a look at Filmora, as your suggest.

Thanks for your comment on the video. Re Filmora, I haven't seen it operate on a Mac, but have to assume that the features and layout are similar between platforms. There's a trial version you can download and install, and I'd be interested to hear how you find it.

As said, I like it's simplicity and ease of use. Also good is the free downloadable content you can apply, such as graphic effects, transitions, titles, etc.
2018-2-21
Use props
windgate
lvl.3
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2018-2-21 18:33
Thanks for your comment on the video. Re Filmora, I haven't seen it operate on a Mac, but have to assume that the features and layout are similar between platforms. There's a trial version you can download and install, and I'd be interested to hear how you find it.

As said, I like it's simplicity and ease of use. Also good is the free downloadable content you can apply, such as graphic effects, transitions, titles, etc.

Thanks... I've downloaded the free trial and will check it out.  : )
2018-2-21
Use props
Acenspades
lvl.3
United States

Win 10, Sony Vegas Pro....legit
2018-2-22
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Many here like Da Vinci Resolve. It is very professional but not too difficult (many tutorials on Youtube) and it is free. Available for Windows, Mac and Linux. Until now I have been using Cyberlink Power Director on Windows which is also good but not free.
2018-2-22
Use props
joe.balcius
lvl.2
United States

I have been using PowerDirector.  It's fairly easy to use, has a ton of features, has a lot of good titles and transitions to use and renders my videos a little faster than the other products I have tried.  
2018-2-22
Use props
spookster
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419649 ft
Germany

Acenspades Posted at 2018-2-22 07:31
Win 10, Sony Vegas Pro....legit

It has been Magix Vegas now for a while, Sony sold it but Magix is doing a pretty good job so far, and that's what I am using too.
2018-2-22
Use props
xfirf_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 194911 ft
Germany

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-2-22 08:17
Many here like Da Vinci Resolve. It is very professional but not too difficult (many tutorials on Youtube) and it is free. Available for Windows, Mac and Linux. Until now I have been using Cyberlink Power Director on Windows which is also good but not free.

I’m using resolve too.
Great software.
2018-2-22
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

With all due respect to the Resolve users, I tried it and viewed several tutorials on it.  I finally conceded that the menu links all had tons of drop downs that I couldn't even fathom what they were for.  I decided that I just did not need them all, nor the complexity of Resolve,  and returned to using iMovie.  But, I did buy a book on iMovie since I wasn't even using all of that simpler programs' features.  I'm happy with that decision.  iMovie gives me everything that I need in post.
2018-2-22
Use props
Numpty12345
lvl.4
Flight distance : 34042 ft
United States

https://hitfilm.com/express/heads-up

also a option thats free
2018-2-22
Use props
DRAKS
lvl.1

Germany

I am using LumaFusion on the iPad. Can cope with 4k and can also use the LUTs for color grading.
2018-2-22
Use props
AIister
lvl.4
Flight distance : 626647 ft
Canada

i used power director and it's good and pretty simple.  recently switched to premier pro.  windows user.
2018-2-22
Use props
slimharry
lvl.4

Canada

final cut pro
2018-2-22
Use props
HyLenz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1848182 ft
United States

Magix Vegas Pro Suite Love it, but i need more horsepower to make rendering faster. I am on older graphics card and CPU...
2018-2-22
Use props
Spaceman_66
lvl.4
Flight distance : 82323 ft
United States

Windows (7) environment with an older but fairly high end custom PC build.

Looked at lotsa options. Was leaning towards Davinci Resolve but they have dropped support for Win 7 and I wasn't about to upgrade to Win 10 and in the process risk breaking LOTSA other stuff that presently all works just fine & dandy. Ended up plunking down some modest dollars (around $99, IIRC) on a bundled package including Adobe Photoshop Elements and the latest Adobe Premiere Elements (2018). Seem to have plenty of horsepower for my needs; didn't want to make a super huge investment for now (other than in drone$...) and also didn't want to invest time and learning curve in something I'd likely outgrow soon enough.

Happy with the choice I made that best meets my requirements. Everyone's got different ones, tho.
2018-2-22
Use props
Wyke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33166 ft
United Kingdom

DRAKS Posted at 2018-2-22 10:30
I am using LumaFusion on the iPad. Can cope with 4k and can also use the LUTs for color grading.

Yes, I’ve just picked this up. It looks good and I’m looking forward to playing around with it.
2018-2-22
Use props
AM0
Second Officer
Flight distance : 415554 ft
Estonia

iMovie for me for now, probably switching to Final Cut pro x sometimes in the future.
On a Mac of course.
2018-2-22
Use props
Tweak88
lvl.4
Flight distance : 176096 ft
United States

I am using LumaFusion on the iPad. Can cope with 4k and can also use the LUTs for color grading.

Does it export in 4K because even my raw 4k videos on my ipad will not upload in anything better then 1080 on youtube and 720 on FB
2018-2-22
Use props
CycleParadise
Second Officer
Flight distance : 385338 ft
United States

I've used the Go4 app on my Android phone and HitFilm 2017 Express on Windows.
2018-2-22
Use props
the0bone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 11896 ft
Germany

I tested a lot. And started with iMovie. Also also had HitFilm.
But honstly FCP and Premiere Pro are both outstanding and the only real tools and no playing stuff.

I finally went with Premiere Pro in a CC Abo. Why? Because I used Lightroom and Photoshop anyhow and are firm with the Adobe workflow.
Further: Yes, there are tutorials for the other tools as well. But for Premiere Pro you will find much more. Not just twice... it is tons!

And with Hitfilm I often did not managed it. Even simple stuff. In PR it just took me minutes.
2018-2-23
Use props
Eduardo0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6443990 ft
  • >>>
Brazil

I use Final Cut Pro X
2018-2-23
Use props
ny300z
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2603478 ft
United States

getting adobe premiere and lightroom was the best decision i ever made.
2018-2-23
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

I have an Adobe Cloud subscription through work, so it was natural to go with Premiere. I actually used the original version of Premiere in 1991on my Mac IIsi that came bundled with the VideoSpigot video capture card back when postage stamp-sized video seemed miraculous.
2018-2-23
Use props
Steeevo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 264882 ft
United Kingdom

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-2-22 09:18
With all due respect to the Resolve users, I tried it and viewed several tutorials on it.  I finally conceded that the menu links all had tons of drop downs that I couldn't even fathom what they were for.  I decided that I just did not need them all, nor the complexity of Resolve,  and returned to using iMovie.  But, I did buy a book on iMovie since I wasn't even using all of that simpler programs' features.  I'm happy with that decision.  iMovie gives me everything that I need in post.

Share your knowledge of imovie please. Can you use luts
2018-2-23
Use props
StanfordWebbie
Second Officer
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Steeevo Posted at 2018-2-23 10:32
Share your knowledge of imovie please. Can you use luts

No, iMovie does not allow you to add Luts, BUT it does have 30 "filters" (as iMovie labels them) that act pretty much the same.  iMovie also has cropping and, a favorite feature of mine, Ken Burns.  The Ken Burns allows you to take a video snippet and show a start and stop change - either zoom way in or zoom way out.  You can use it on photos as well.    Here's the book I bought on it:
https://www.amazon.com/iMovie-Mi ... amp;keywords=iMovie
Of course, if you live anywhere near an Apple store, they give free classes on using iMovie.  But that just gets you started.  There's lots to learn on it.  Also, another book that I LOVE (and it's quite cheap):
https://www.amazon.com/Shoot-Vid ... amp;keywords=iMovie
2018-2-23
Use props
Steeevo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 264882 ft
United Kingdom

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-2-23 10:55
No, iMovie does not allow you to add Luts, BUT it does have 30 "filters" (as iMovie labels them) that act pretty much the same.  iMovie also has cropping and, a favorite feature of mine, Ken Burns.  The Ken Burns allows you to take a video snippet and show a start and stop change - either zoom way in or zoom way out.  You can use it on photos as well.    Here's the book I bought on it:
https://www.amazon.com/iMovie-Missing-Manual-release-Manuals/dp/1491947322/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1519411971&sr=1-1&keywords=iMovie
Of course, if you live anywhere near an Apple store, they give free classes on using iMovie.  But that just gets you started.  There's lots to learn on it.  Also, another book that I LOVE (and it's quite cheap):

Thanks for the info, I love iMovie and feel that I need to upgrade to final cut but I think iMovie is great software
2018-2-25
Use props
Trevlan006
lvl.3
Flight distance : 475118 ft
  • >>>
Canada

How are you using LUTS and from where ? I am having a heck of time to adding some.
2018-2-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-2-22 08:17
Many here like Da Vinci Resolve. It is very professional but not too difficult (many tutorials on Youtube) and it is free. Available for Windows, Mac and Linux. Until now I have been using Cyberlink Power Director on Windows which is also good but not free.

The only drawback Resolve has, is that the free version does not allow for 4K editing. (at least not rendering)
2018-2-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

I am using Sony Vegas Pro 14.
2018-2-25
Use props
cspain
Second Officer
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-2-25 05:34
The only drawback Resolve has, is that the free version does not allow for 4K editing. (at least not rendering)

I think you just need to click on Custom. Also make sure you have the free version, not a trial copy of the pro version.
2018-2-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
  • >>>
Netherlands

cspain Posted at 2018-2-25 16:24
[view_image]

I think you just need to click on Custom. Also make sure you have the free version, not a trial copy of the pro version.

I have not tested myself, just found out on their website.
But you are able to render 4K projects with the free version?
2018-2-25
Use props
Paulp3
lvl.3
Flight distance : 105593845 ft
Australia

Corel VideoStudio X9 in win 10 still not up to speed but am learning
2018-2-26
Use props
Sulu600
lvl.2
Flight distance : 486634 ft
United States

Corel Video Studio X10.  Backstage training is great and will get you up to speed really quick.
2018-2-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules