Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
X5 out of focus
3036 15 2018-2-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Winterfell
lvl.1
Flight distance : 259734 ft
United Kingdom

Hi

When using my inspire 1 pro the images are out of focus.

I have the camera on auto but still out of focus.

What is the best thing I can do to try and improve the photos I take.
2018-2-22
Use props
DrawsWithLight.co.uk
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2136716 ft
United Kingdom

I assume you have tapped on the screen to focus?
2018-2-22
Use props
Winterfell
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Yeah did that.

Looked like it did it. Then just had the photos on the computer and the are out of focus.

I’m out again today with it and wanted to see if there is anything else I could try.
2018-2-22
Use props
DrawsWithLight.co.uk
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Winterfell Posted at 2018-2-22 02:01
Yeah did that.

Looked like it did it. Then just had the photos on the computer and the are out of focus.

I've found tap to focus a bit hit and miss sometimes, you need to find a subject with good contrast to get it working properly. I just set my lens to infinity now, it's a better method and you don't have to worry about focussing for each shot (unless your subject is close to the lens). You'll need to calibrate lens first though.
2018-2-22
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Winterfell Posted at 2018-2-22 02:01
Yeah did that.

Looked like it did it. Then just had the photos on the computer and the are out of focus.

Hi, there. Did you mount any other lens? Please try to calibrate the lens and install it again. If the problem remains, I would recommend you provide us the original picture. Thanks for your support.
2018-2-22
Use props
Henry M.Y.
First Officer
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

What was the lens you were using which gave out-of focus pictures? Do you have any other compatible lens to isolate the problem?

Henry
2018-2-22
Use props
PascoCounty SAM
lvl.1

United States

Good morning: I had the same problem yesterday with my M600 Pro and the Zenmuse X5R.  We measured an entire project (approx. 1600 photos) from between 150 ft - 200 ft AGL, the DJI Go app was on Auto Focus  (A) and each and every one of the images are blurry.  I'm still trying to process and complete the project in Pix4D and it's been running all night...doesn't look good.  So frustrating. So I'm assuming we will have to go back and re-fly it.   I believe once the images are captured, that is all you have to work with. So to prevent this in the future, part of our pre-flight will be camera calibration, hover at flying height and trying to take some still images and tapping on the screen to focus,,,even though it's in Auto Focus mode.  frustrating indeed.
2018-2-22
Use props
Winterfell
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks guys.

I’m out at the moment and will be flying this afternoon.

I’ll give some of them tips a go and if still not working I’ll post a few pics on here.

I am new to the x5 and inspire 1.
2018-2-22
Use props
DrawsWithLight.co.uk
Second Officer
United Kingdom

PascoCounty SAM Posted at 2018-2-22 04:43
Good morning: I had the same problem yesterday with my M600 Pro and the Zenmuse X5R.  We measured an entire project (approx. 1600 photos) from between 150 ft - 200 ft AGL, the DJI Go app was on Auto Focus  (A) and each and every one of the images are blurry.  I'm still trying to process and complete the project in Pix4D and it's been running all night...doesn't look good.  So frustrating. So I'm assuming we will have to go back and re-fly it.   I believe once the images are captured, that is all you have to work with. So to prevent this in the future, part of our pre-flight will be camera calibration, hover at flying height and trying to take some still images and tapping on the screen to focus,,,even though it's in Auto Focus mode.  frustrating indeed.

For that particular job I'd set the focus to infinity then you don't have to worry about the images not being sharp
2018-2-22
Use props
Henry M.Y.
First Officer
Flight distance : 11548839 ft
  • >>>
Hong Kong

My kit lens  (DJI 15mm/f=1.7) is also soft when shot wide open, but I overcame it.

Below is my workflow of X5 with kit lens in Inspire 1 Pro:-

Before taking off, enable focus assist and calibrate the lens in photo mode (not video mode) by aiming & tap-focusing at a distant subject with good contrast repeatedly until the most acceptable sharpness of the distant subject is obtained, then press OK to confirm satisfaction calibration. Such calibration sets the correct focus on infinity, limiting the lens to not throwing itself beyond infinity.

Now set to manual focus and dial the focus all the way to infinity, and roll back a little bit. Next stop down the lens to f8 which is the sharpest within the aperture range of the kit lens.

The X5 with kit lens will then be ready to go, and they normally give me acceptable results.

Henry
2018-2-22
Use props
mixchief
First Officer
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good morning: I had the same problem yesterday with my M600 Pro and the Zenmuse X5R.  We measured an entire project (approx. 1600 photos) from between 150 ft - 200 ft AGL, the DJI Go app was on Auto Focus  (A) and each and every one of the images are blurry.  I'm still trying to process and complete the project in Pix4D and it's been running all night...doesn't look good.  So frustrating. So I'm assuming we will have to go back and re-fly it.   I believe once the images are captured, that is all you have to work with. So to prevent this in the future, part of our pre-flight will be camera calibration, hover at flying height and trying to take some still images and tapping on the screen to focus,,,even though it's in Auto Focus mode.  frustrating indeed.

The X5 does't have continuos auto focus, when in AF you need to constantly refocus as your distance from the subject changes by tapping at your target on the screen DO NOT expect the camera to do this by itself. As mentioned, sometimes best method is infinity focus calibration which at first for me was hit and miss at first, but finally it focused correctly so much so that when I switched cameras the calibration seems to have followed as the X5R infinity focus seems to be good. Anyway I feel that if you need tack sharp focus you have to adjust, so either tap tap tap on the screen or get a focus wheel in manual to make adjustments on the fly.
2018-2-22
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Sam, please provide the original video or pictures for further analysis. I would help you forward them to our engineers for further check.
2018-2-22
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Winterfell Posted at 2018-2-22 06:08
Thanks guys.

I’m out at the moment and will be flying this afternoon.

Please keep us updated, hope the problem will be solved soon.
2018-2-22
Use props
Winterfell
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Good morning all

Can I say a big thank you to you all.

I ended up updating the drone the camera and the batteries after the first flight yesterday. As in the air it came up as needing up date. ( what a time to choose)

Anyway landed and sat with it for nearly an hour watching the videos and updating.

Then went back out. After a but clinching moment when it wanted to find the nearest tree as it licked the sight of it
2018-2-23
Use props
mixchief
First Officer
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

Winterfell Posted at 2018-2-23 00:58
Good morning all

Can I say a big thank you to you all.

huh? say what?
2018-2-23
Use props
Winterfell
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hi all.

I like to say thank you as it’s all good and working as it should.

So it needed to be updated.

Like I say I haven’t had it long so after updating it and then taking it out again it is all in focus and the shots are good.

Need more practice with the settings but I should get there soon.
2018-2-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules