Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Flying the drone in a moving Vessel
1905 25 2018-2-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
eried
lvl.4
Flight distance : 661362 ft
Norway

Next week I am going on a big vessel (with a fish factory, 30x person crew, etc) and I am wondering if it is a good idea to bring my Mavic Pro.
Will the metal from the vessel interfere with the drone? Will I lose it easily if I fly while is moving? Does wifi work better in that situation? (big metal body interfering)
2018-2-22
Use props
FlyDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

Personally, I would not dare take the chance. We know that metal has the effect and in my world it doesn't matter if the metal is your floor and walls or if it is embedded in concrete in a driveway.
2018-2-22
Use props
Lamplighter55
lvl.4
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

In theory OPTI flight mode should still allow controlled flight ... BUT the space should be large enough and well lit but no bright reflections. Also the surfaces around need to be clearly textured with enough contrasting random patterns, and flat with no carpeting. You still could get heavy EM disruption in that enclosed space from all manner of things - active radar, strong magnetic fields will mess up the compasses etc. OPTI and ATTI mode are automatic so you won't be able to force OPTI mode and if it slips into ATTI it could be hard to control with ambiguous reflected signal coms to and from the RC unit.
2018-2-22
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
First Officer
Flight distance : 8351585 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I've flown over large metal objects which caused compass errors.  When the distance increased the errors went away.  The risk is loosing TX connection as the Mavic will RTH and land in the ocean 'cause the ship has moved.
2018-2-22
Use props
fansccc1a9e9
lvl.1
Flight distance : 11270 ft
South Africa

I'd say its risky...
2018-2-22
Use props
Yachtsman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 605466 ft
United Kingdom

Good Luck

I fly from a steel motor yacht.
I tried  a take off from a teak covered deck and was particularly lucky not to loose the drone due to compass errors making the lift off  very erratic.
you almost certainly will have to hand launch & hand land.

for a launch I await a full sreen GPS lock , then start props hold a full arm up, have craft facing away , so I can fly up and away from the boat, without hitting the mast.

Recovery will be a bit of a problem, something I have only done at anchor as effectively you will need to fly along while landing.

In a nut shell difficult, particularly if you cant stop the boat.

I havent yet mastered the land while moving, and have only practiced it from a rib.

Lastly but far from least, dont forget the aparrent wind speed , 10knot boat going into a 15 knot wind = 25 kn.  all of a sudden getting back to the boat might be problematical.

Take drone  for some harbour shots at start and end. will be worth it for that alone.

2018-2-22
Use props
Yachtsman
lvl.4
United Kingdom

2018-2-22
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

Also, if you plan on flying while the boat is moving, that'll bring in several other problems.  I personally would not do it.  Get an Osmo Mobile.  Mine is a GREAT alternative to use when flying my Mavic isn't optimal.
2018-2-22
Use props
eried
lvl.4
Norway

Ok thanks everyone, sounds too risky. I agree now. I will evaluate the situation once in the vessel but I am prone to follow the general advice.
2018-2-22
Use props
eried
lvl.4
Norway

Yachtsman Posted at 2018-2-22 08:49
[view_image]

Awesome, did you took off from the boat?
2018-2-22
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nice shot!      
2018-2-22
Use props
djiuser_l1Ugovwa1dOP
lvl.1
United States

eried Posted at 2018-2-22 10:56
Ok thanks everyone, sounds too risky. I agree now. I will evaluate the situation once in the vessel but I am prone to follow the general advice.

Taking off and Landing from hand. Find place on open deck without obstructions. Wait for wind less than 10knots. Compass error apears often. Hard but possibile to do. I się it few times, always stressful flights. Gl
2018-2-22
Use props
djiuser_l1Ugovwa1dOP
lvl.1
United States

djiuser_l1Ugovwa1dOP Posted at 2018-2-22 13:21
Taking off and Landing from hand. Find place on open deck without obstructions. Wait for wind less than 10knots. Compass error apears often. Hard but possibile to do. I się it few times, always stressful flights. Gl

One more thing, sensors switched off
2018-2-22
Use props
eried
lvl.4
Norway

djiuser_l1Ugovwa1dOP Posted at 2018-2-22 13:25
One more thing, sensors switched off

Which sensors? Frontal collision?
2018-2-22
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

no downward position system and set dynamic homepoint on ,if sensors are off you can easier land on your hand and it's safer hover low on the water.
2018-2-23
Use props
djiuser_l1Ugovwa1dOP
lvl.1
United States

As Jos A said. Also I read somewhere that mavic uses them to stabilise position in the air? If so, then moving vessel may fool it.
2018-2-23
Use props
Simmo1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1624 ft
Australia

Yachtsman Posted at 2018-2-22 08:17
I fly from a steel motor yacht.
I tried  a take off from a teak covered deck and was particularly lucky not to loose the drone due to compass errors making the lift off  very erratic.
you almost certainly will have to hand launch & hand land.

10 into 15 is a 5 ..... too easy... I'd land in the push pit...
2018-2-23
Use props
Yachtsman
lvl.4
United Kingdom

eried Posted at 2018-2-22 12:18
Awesome, did you took off from the boat?

Yup  standing on the little deck on the bow, which has no wires to fly into.
Would like to have taken a more side on picture, but right at the edge of a very correct no fly zone.
2018-2-23
Use props
Yachtsman
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Thank you for your comment.
2018-2-23
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

Lamplighter55 Posted at 2018-2-22 03:35
In theory OPTI flight mode should still allow controlled flight ... BUT the space should be large enough and well lit but no bright reflections. Also the surfaces around need to be clearly textured with enough contrasting random patterns, and flat with no carpeting. You still could get heavy EM disruption in that enclosed space from all manner of things - active radar, strong magnetic fields will mess up the compasses etc. OPTI and ATTI mode are automatic so you won't be able to force OPTI mode and if it slips into ATTI it could be hard to control with ambiguous reflected signal coms to and from the RC unit.

The worse problem by far is compass reliability.  Regardless of mode, signal strength, GPS or ATTI/OPTI, the flight control system will not be able to manage/control the drone's direction and erratic flight will occur.
2018-2-23
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

Be aware when landing you vessel has to stop completly, otherwise it is difficult to land and grap your mavic
2018-2-23
Use props
djiuser_l1Ugovwa1dOP
lvl.1
United States

Jos A Posted at 2018-2-23 06:20
Be aware when landing you vessel has to stop completly, otherwise it is difficult to land and grap your mavic

Exactly, the same reason i always wait for good weather conditions - sea wave height less than 2 m, wind less 10 knots and ship stopped. Imo landing is the most difficult part.
2018-2-23
Use props
eried
lvl.4
Norway

I ended flying it in the moving vessel. It was quite exciting and hard. It is weird to have a log where I land without going back

2018-2-26
Use props
Yachtsman
lvl.4
United Kingdom

eried Posted at 2018-2-26 16:15
I ended flying it in the moving vessel. It was quite exciting and hard. It is weird to have a log where I land without going back

[view_image]

Great pictures well done.

did you get compass errors as you landed?
2018-2-27
Use props
eried
lvl.4
Norway

Yachtsman Posted at 2018-2-27 10:58
Great pictures well done.

did you get compass errors as you landed?

Yeah, all the time, magnetic interference, compass error, gps, etc
2018-2-27
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

One thing people forget is that the definition of hover generally means the aircraft is stationary with respect to the earth, NOT the controller.  If you are moving and put it in a true hover, you'll run into a wall when inside.
2018-2-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules