River Ice Jam
513 13 2018-2-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
m1shootr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 118894 ft
United States

Here are a couple images of Ohios' Muskingum river, Lock #11, taken almost exactly a year apart. The later, taken 1/23/18, is of the ice jam that caused rare flooding. Notice the runaway boat that is hung up on the low head dam. Taken with P4P.

Untitled-2-1.jpg
P4P (1 of 1).jpg
Untitled-2.jpg
2018-2-22
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Would that be your boat?
2018-2-22
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-2-22 06:27
Would that be your boat?

No, that's not my boat.
2018-2-22
Use props
Leftyguy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1282638 ft
United States

Nice Shots - Very Interesting, Thanks
2018-2-22
Use props
Nebicaneser
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 3462946 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Amazing shots !!
2018-2-22
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice pictures.
Good thing it is not your boat. I doubt your P4P could pull it away
2018-2-22
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

That lack of saturation especially on the second one is really disturbing... ;)
2018-2-22
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Interesting shots         
2018-2-22
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Great job! Thanks for sharing with us.
2018-2-22
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Few years back the Latvian Authorities decided to dynamite the ice jam 40kms upriver from my house. The charge went of and we received calls to be careful as we have property on the outside bend of the river ...

About midday - we could see a wall of water and behind it a wall of Ice moving down river ... we could hear it as well ... it was a good 6 - 8kms from us.

The wall of water finally hit the bend we are on about 10 hours later - climbed up and over the bank to about +5m .... My house is about 8m higher than the normal water level. The Ice behind it sounded like a thousand monster excavators at work ...
The ice lifted my 4ton yacht and placed it half way up the bank into the garden ... buckled and slide 1m thick ice blocks around ... and left a 14m high wall of ice at end of my boat channel. Trees, telegraph poles, all sorts of debris large and small deposited. Reason for such was authorities failed to dynamite each step as ice moved downriver and it built up to a massive crushing wall of ice ....

The wall of ice survived 3 months longer than any other ice from that winter. TV and local media came to look !! I am trying to find which of my old computers has the photos --- once I find I will post up.

Nigel
2018-2-23
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

Found some of the photos ....

These are taken some time AFTER the wall hit us ...

This is the general river !

Despite claims to Authorities - they ignored all protests and claims .....

I was lucky to only have pontoon smashed and boats survived. But friends of ours lost buildings near the waterline and rec'd no compensation at all.

Nigel
2018-2-23
Use props
m1shootr
lvl.4
United States

That's the government for you. Sad story.
2018-2-23
Use props
PowerBand1
lvl.3

Australia

m1shootr Posted at 2018-2-23 04:08
That's the government for you. Sad story.

Powerful shots,experiencing that must have been downright scary.
2018-2-23
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Latvia

PowerBand1 Posted at 2018-2-23 13:43
Powerful shots,experiencing that must have been downright scary.

You can imagine that we were talking to each other ... owners of property along the river.

The amazing thing - was how slow it moved but the noise ! We could hear it km's away ... just a solid sound of crushing ...

When the water wall hit - you just saw it rushing up the garden towards the house - we honestly thought it would hit the house but it stopped halfway up the slope.
Then the Ice just climbed up and over the bank uprooting trees and anything in its path.

Long before the Ice wall hit - the ice in the channel started to buckle and split. Sounded just like huge trees when they fall .... the splitting sound.

My yacht is a mid 1970's solid GRP job ... the GRP hull is over 50mm thick - so she survived. If it had been one of todays sandwich GRP jobs - I doubt it would.

Nigel
2018-2-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules