Encoding in Wrong Frame Rate
918 1 2018-2-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kcobfilms
lvl.1
United States

I know I'm not the only one with this problem, and haven't seen a solution anywhere on the forums. However, most people seem to think this issue is about audio drift, which I have ruled out, as I'll explain below.

Whenever I shoot in 24fps on the Osmo Pro - in any resolution, MOV or MP4, and PAL or NTSC - it seems to be saved as 23.976fps to the memory card. I know that 24fps often really just means 23.976fps, but that does not seem to be the case here.
For one, the audio and video tracks saved as one file (MOV or MP4) are different durations, with the video longer. I have compared the audio speed the Osmo records to the speed at which several reliable external WAV recorders capture audio, and they are the same. By the end of a clip I shoot on the Osmo, the audio and video have drifted out of sync. If I multiply the speed of the video by 1.001 - the equivalent of turning 23.976 to 24 - the drift goes away and the audio and video are fully in sync all the way through. This confirms that the Osmo is recording audio at the correct speed, but speeding up the video.

In the video's properties once imported to any computer, it says the frame rate is 23.976fps, not 24. It's clear that this is happening somewhere in the encoder, because in Adobe After Effects, bringing an Osmo clip into the timeline without changing any settings requires it to conform the clip and render before it can be played back, which only happens when you are trying to playback a clip differently than how it was originally recorded. However, if I set the clip to remap to 24fps instead of 23.976, it does not need to render in order to be played, and is instantly watchable.

This appears to be proof that the Osmo is recording video at a true 24fps, but the DJI encoder is telling the video to slow down as if it was recorded in 23.976fps before playback. Is there someway I could get the encoder to recognize that the footage is captured in true 24fps and not 23.976 without having to do so in post production, which will eat a lot of time?

All of my firmware is up to date.

Thank you so much! Otherwise, great product.
2018-2-22
Use props
kcobfilm
lvl.1
United States

I just wanted to bump this so maybe someone at DJI could take a look. I'm really struggling with this issue and could use help!
2018-4-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules