Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New RC firmware update/obstacle sensing issue
1303 13 2018-2-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Thatguy32567
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23553 ft
United States

So I decided to update my RC firmware when I did the AC. I have only done a few test flights but each time I've gone out, the obstacle sensing system will just start beeping on the screen saying I am close to an object and stops the drone. I can be in an open field 200 Ft. in the air and it does it. It doesnt do it the entire flight but for some reason, itll randomly start. If I turn the drone around and fly back, it will stop. So I try to fly another route and at any random time, it will start beeping and buzzing on the screen forcing me to turn around. Has anyone else had these issues? I have tried calibrating the sensors in DJI assistant with the drone and hasn't changed anything. Is there a beta update that takes care of that?
2018-2-23
Use props
Carlo Scetta
lvl.2
Flight distance : 170696 ft
Italy

I have the same problem after firmware update, to fly I have to deactivate the sensors
2018-2-23
Use props
Carlo Scetta
lvl.2
Flight distance : 170696 ft
Italy

I have the same problem after firmware update, to fly I have to deactivate the sensors
2018-2-23
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Usually this happens when you point the camera towards the sun. It sees the sun as an obstacle. It also tends to happen late in the day when the sun is low. That is why it does not happen when you turn around 180 degrees.

2018-2-23
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, guys. What is the model of your drone? The situation will be forwarded. Please tell me the version of your app and the firmware of your drone. Thanks for your support.
2018-2-23
Use props
Thatguy32567
lvl.1
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-2-23 22:16
Hi, guys. What is the model of your drone? The situation will be forwarded. Please tell me the version of your app and the firmware of your drone. Thanks for your support.

It is the Phantom 4 Pro. The firmware on the drone is 01.05.0300 and the firmware for the remote is 1.3.6.0. I took it out yesterday and it did not do it. It was very cloudy though so not sure if what geebax mentioned could be the problem with the sun. I did notice however that the camera will invert the image. Not usually when the camera is pointed down but instead if I'm flying forward fairly fast then let off the controls. When the drone stops, the image inverts for a second or two then goes back to normal.
2018-2-24
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1716240 ft
United States

I had a problem like this when I had propeller guards on, once I removed the guards no problems.
2018-2-24
Use props
Phantomflyer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1016486 ft
United States

Thatguy32567 Posted at 2018-2-24 04:11
It is the Phantom 4 Pro. The firmware on the drone is 01.05.0300 and the firmware for the remote is 1.3.6.0. I took it out yesterday and it did not do it. It was very cloudy though so not sure if what geebax mentioned could be the problem with the sun. I did notice however that the camera will invert the image. Not usually when the camera is pointed down but instead if I'm flying forward fairly fast then let off the controls. When the drone stops, the image inverts for a second or two then goes back to normal.

If I'm not mistaken, I don't believe you have updated to the latest R/C Version.  I'm not entirely certain if this will affect your model in the way you have described, but I know I'm on R/C version 1.4.01 which may not be the latest, but I believe may be a later version than what you have.
Reports of inverted picture have been reported when some have updated to A/C firmware V. 1.5.300,  however, I don't recall reports of obstacle sensor issues with that specific F/W update.
Hopefully DJI will have some better information for you.
2018-2-24
Use props
Thatguy32567
lvl.1
United States

Phantomflyer Posted at 2018-2-24 10:53
If I'm not mistaken, I don't believe you have updated to the latest R/C Version.  I'm not entirely certain if this will affect your model in the way you have described, but I know I'm on R/C version 1.4.01.
Reports of inverted picture have been reported when some have updated to A/C firmware V. 1.5.300 however, I don't recall them having reported any obstacle sensor issues with that specific F/W update.
Hopefully DJI will have some better information for you.

I believe I do have the latest firmware on the RC. It was released Feb 9th and thats the version number listed on DJI forum for the GL300E remote and also same number listed on the downloads page for the Phantom 4 Pro+. I think it might not be the firmware you have because you might have the beta they released for the RC? Not sure. Like I said earlier, it didn't do it yesterday but I did notice the distance for the obstacle sensors are way off too. I flew next to my car and got about 5 Ft. away before it sensed anything and even then it said it was 33 ft. away. Even the downward sensors are inaccurate. Makes it very difficult to want to fly it. If those are not working correctly, who knows what else is wrong.
2018-2-24
Use props
TheMann58
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18669501 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thatguy32567 Posted at 2018-2-24 11:01
I believe I do have the latest firmware on the RC. It was released Feb 9th and thats the version number listed on DJI forum for the GL300E remote and also same number listed on the downloads page for the Phantom 4 Pro+. I think it might not be the firmware you have because you might have the beta they released for the RC? Not sure. Like I said earlier, it didn't do it yesterday but I did notice the distance for the obstacle sensors are way off too. I flew next to my car and got about 5 Ft. away before it sensed anything and even then it said it was 33 ft. away. Even the downward sensors are inaccurate. Makes it very difficult to want to fly it. If those are not working correctly, who knows what else is wrong.

I would recommend that you calibrate the vision sensors of the P4Pro using the DJI Assistant 2 program on your PC.  If you have NEVER calibrated the Vision sensors, then this is definitely a good idea especially given the problems you are having with the sensors.  You will basically hold the drone in various positions with the front, then then the rear then the downward facing sensors facing a pattern display on the monitor and tilting the aircraft slowly left, right up and down to follow a target on the screen.  DJI has video guides on how to do this or you can search YouTube.
2018-2-24
Use props
Phantomflyer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1016486 ft
United States

I have the P4 Pro and the controller is a Gl 300F,  loaded with V 1.04.01.00. If you have the (Pro Plus controller) with built in display device then that may be why you have a different version of the firmware and the latest version.
In any regard you most likely have something else going on affecting your flight sensors. You may want to re calibrate the sensors as previously suggested just to be certain they are all that they can be.  : )
2018-2-24
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

As mentioned above, it has nothing to do with the camera. The obstacle sensors are separate from the camera. The side sensors are only active in Beginner mode.  Mine will do what you describe with the previous firmware if I am in line with my car at about 100' AGL as far out  as 150'.
2018-2-24
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Thatguy32567 Posted at 2018-2-24 04:11

Thanks for your details. Please try to fly in a sunny day and give us feedback. When did you buy the drone? Please export the flight data and the black box for analysis.
2018-2-27
Use props
fans2de4e434
New
Flight distance : 1232474 ft
United States

I flew yesterday and i experience the same things that you guys are describing. It was jacking with the footage that i was taking. SO had to disable the sensors as much as i needed them. Not sure what the firmware is but I updated it just over a week ago to the most recent.... The sun was bright yesterday and it was late afternoon so the sun could have been the cause. The thing is that I routinely grab shots with sun flares and never had to disable obstacle sensing.... I love my drone BUT its frustrating when you have shots you need to take and the personality of the drone and app changes on a regular basis. :-I
2018-2-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules