My Precious Mavic Air - Destroys
1420 22 2018-2-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dongster
lvl.2
Flight distance : 369764 ft
Indonesia

Was in Bundung Indonesia on a holiday and flying my drone at a Harley-Davidson showroom launch.
Going for a nice decend shot, the mavic lowered into a tree, no sensor warning, nothing.

https://youtu.be/HlcFrmSGxCs

Thankfully it dropped out and I was able to retrieve.

Just wondering, is this something that warranty will cover or am I supposed to use my DJI care?

I'm in a unique situation, I am travelling Asia and Australia for the next few months and will not be in the US.
Sending it back is not a problem, but the time it will take is severely limiting my hope of capturing my trips.

Does anyone have advice?

FYI, not ever a pessimist. Here are some videos I've taken so far with my Mavic Air. I love it. Even with all those connection problems I'm facing our in Asia.

Chasing some Harley-Davidson here
https://youtu.be/EQ7Z3nCYpY4

Exploring a volcanic crater
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4NDlDZVBkc&feature=youtu.be
2018-2-23
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sorry to see that - contact DJI support. Nice vids though
2018-2-23
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

That’s tough but I’m certain it won’t be covered by warranty, it looks like you lowered it into a tree it think you will find this is not covered.
2018-2-24
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Sorry for your accident! Probably you had not activated the bottom sensor warnings and obstacle avoidance. May I ask what exactly is damaged? It didn't fall from a high altitude, if you are lucky it is ok. If there is only minor damage you might be able to get it repaired in the country where you are right now. And your videos are great!
2018-2-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Sad to hear.
Because of the travel situation some solutions wil be unpractical.
I know is that you have to get support (warranty) from the region where you bought it.

But I doubt this is a warranty. Unless you can prove the craft descended without you operating it and without any warning etc.
Sensors are there to help, not something that will prevent every user errors.
Also the sensors might have a hard time on certain surfaces (look at the manual, there is a lot they don't see)
Not sure about foliage, but in your case it looks like they missed it.

DJI care refresh however does cover these errors.
But that does require sending it in.

Good luck and save trip
You made some great footage BTW.
2018-2-24
Use props
Dongster
lvl.2
Indonesia

thanks everyone, I was doing a descend video shot so I was controlling it, however, all sensors were on.

sad to hear I'm not covered by warranty, it's my first dji product and from the few flights I had prior to this crash, the sensors worked like magic saving the drone from a few instances.

on dji care, is this going to be a 1-1 replacement situation of more of a repair?
the battery was also in the drone at time of crash, it's a bit scuffed up, but works.
Is this going to be replaced by dji as part of dji care?

2018-2-24
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Dongster Posted at 2018-2-24 02:33
thanks everyone, I was doing a descend video shot so I was controlling it, however, all sensors were on.

sad to hear I'm not covered by warranty, it's my first dji product and from the few flights I had prior to this crash, the sensors worked like magic saving the drone from a few instances.

Dongster, if you use dji care refresh, you will get a replacement unit that is new or equivalent to new in performance and reliability. And batteries are cover in the service. Sorry to hear that it is not under warranty. Hope you can have a new one soon.
mavic.JPG
2018-2-24
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ouch hope everything works out
2018-2-24
Use props
Dongster
lvl.2
Indonesia

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-2-24 05:00
Dongster, if you use dji care refresh, you will get a replacement unit that is new or equivalent to new in performance and reliability. And batteries are cover in the service. Sorry to hear that it is not under warranty. Hope you can have a new one soon.

Hi Elektra

So you're saying that the drone is not able to be warrantied?

Can I understand what is the reason?

I have to say that while I'm impressed with the product, it's a little hard to accept that a crash, that should have been prevented by the sensors, is not going to be taken care off.

As a new drone owner, I was enamoured with the marketing video from the launch, and the preventative measure was a huge selling point.

For it to not work and also not be backed up by DJI is disappointing to me.
2018-2-24
Use props
Wyke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33166 ft
United Kingdom

I hope for your sake you get the outcome you’d like, as trashing a new Air is the stuff of nightmares. However, watching that video seems to indicate pilot error; you simply descended into a tree. Sensors are there to help and not necessarily stop pilot error. If you’d been watching the drone, surely you’d have seen where it was going down? Best of luck.
2018-2-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Dongster Posted at 2018-2-24 08:20
Hi Elektra

I was impressed by the sensors too.

You have to dive into the details of your flight log to see if there was anything going on that was not your fault.
Until that you can't be sure if it will be accepted as a warranty claim.

2018-2-24
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

Sensors work off of sonar and will not pick up tree branches or power lines etc consistently . Sensors are there to help but they will not totally prevent what piloting should do . A solid surface such as walls , tree trunks , cars etc that sonar can easily bounce back from will be more reliable but still , not always .
2018-2-24
Use props
GoldenSun
First Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

Ooops! Awesome videos, well done with them!
2018-2-24
Use props
Dongster
lvl.2
Indonesia

It's almost like saying, if I bought a bike that's being sold as "having superior double the usual strength of brakes" and when I brake at half the usual distance, I crash.
And then saying the brakes are not meant to serve the purpose of keeping me safe while I'm riding, even as it's being improved and equipped with superior brakes.

Anyway, I'm just wanting to understand the warranty process and why this is not covered.

Either way I'm getting this fixed

It would be nice if someone from DJI is going to comment so that we can all learn from this situation..
2018-2-24
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Dongster Posted at 2018-2-24 08:20
Hi Elektra

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Just to verify, have you contacted our support to report the accident? Is there any case number? Data analysis is recommended if you believe it is not pilot error. We'd like to check the exact status and keep follow up as well.
2018-2-24
Use props
Dongster
lvl.2
Singapore

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-2-24 18:55
Sorry for the misunderstanding. Just to verify, have you contacted our support to report the accident? Is there any case number? Data analysis is recommended if you believe it is not pilot error. We'd like to check the exact status and keep follow up as well.

Hi

Yes I've emailed but haven't heard back
it's not 48 hrs in total, so I'll await a reply til then;

thanks Susan

How do I submit flight log?
2018-2-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Dongster Posted at 2018-2-25 21:25
Hi

Yes I've emailed but haven't heard back

Usually, the drone would be suggested to send in for evaluation and data analysis and our support will help to start a ticket. May we have the email ticket number so that we could contact the support team to reply the email as soon as possible?
2018-2-25
Use props
Dongster
lvl.2
Singapore

ok, mail order - 1007424

I'm curious, as the drone was a gift in Singapore, and I bought DJI care in America, which country should I ship to get warranty done?

And if, for whatever reason, it fails to be fixed under warranty, does it mean I have to bear shipping cost to and fro, and then to and fro to America?

I know telling you guys I already bought a 2nd drone is probably not going to help expedite this, but I'm still really happy with the Mavic Air and thus buying the 2nd 1 to use while I'm travelling, hopefully nothing wrong with this, and by the time the broken one is fixed, I can do a drone race between the both airs.
2018-2-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Dongster Posted at 2018-2-25 21:43
ok, mail order - 1007424

I'm curious, as the drone was a gift in Singapore, and I bought DJI care in America, which country should I ship to get warranty done?

Customers can obtain warranty service only at a designated DJI repair center in the region where he/she purchased the product, but the drone will need to be evaluated or made data analysis firstly, if the accident was caused by product itself after analysis, the warranty service will be provided, otherwise, customers will need to pay for repair.
If you would like DJI Care Refresh service directly, the drone will need to sent to DJI US official repair center, and you will need to be responsible for shipping costs when sending product for replacement from Asia or Australia.                                                                       
2018-2-25
Use props
Dongster
lvl.2
Singapore

looking at the video and also background of the crash I provided, do you suggest I send in for warranty or to the US?

Also, could you please check the region of purchase? It may actually be also in the US, that makes it easy.
I travel there quite a bit so can manage this while Im there

My SN is in the email.
2018-2-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Dongster Posted at 2018-2-25 22:39
looking at the video and also background of the crash I provided, do you suggest I send in for warranty or to the US?

Also, could you please check the region of purchase? It may actually be also in the US, that makes it easy.

The performance of the Vision System may get affected when you fly over small and fine objects like tree branches or power lines, personally, the accident may not be caused by the drone, but the precise reason must be found out after data analysis, appreciate your understanding. GTScreenshot_20180226_145830.png
Per the serial number in the email, I cannot find it in our system, could you please help to double verify? Thank you.
2018-2-25
Use props
Dongster
lvl.2
Singapore

My SN is 0K1DECG2BC0422

care agreement number W80RAUYIPXHOEQMS

gimbal number is 0K3DECF3A31222
2018-2-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Dongster Posted at 2018-2-25 23:11
My SN is 0K1DECG2BC0422

care agreement number W80RAUYIPXHOEQMS

Hi Dongster, the corresponding repair center of your drone locates in Chinese mainland, please make your decision.
2018-2-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules