Spark lost connection and flew off
1487 29 2018-2-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dips1979
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1273 ft
United Kingdom

Within a minute of take off, the Spark lost connection to my iPad and flew off at speed. I tried to activate RTH function but it did not respond. Home location and GPS were both set before taking off. Tried to locate the Spark via the find my drone feature on the app but the last registered location was at the point we lost connection. Looked around the area but the drone flew over some warehouses so could not find it.

I cannot think of anything I could have done to prevent this. Once disconnected from the phone you are at the mercy of the drone which often has a mind of its own.

Not sure of my options, looks like £650 down the drain. Is there anyway to check if it was a error with the Drone?
2018-2-24
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

I am sorry for your incident! If you wish so, you may upload your flightrecord to this site http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ and share the link with us. You'll find the file in a DJI subfolder nemed "flightrecord" on your mobile device.
2018-2-24
Use props
fansb9c9ddd3
New
Brazil

my friend, the same thing has happened to me. I set the location and did all the procedures. after a few minutes I lost the signal and he did not attend the HTP. I already searched the Br communities, but they do not know what can be wrong.
2018-2-24
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Japan

I think this strange situation is happening on an IOS mobile. I haven't yet read this sort of malfunction from a Android device. The drone flew at a higher speed and away from home location...very weird indeed..
2018-2-24
Use props
Dips1979
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks guys. I use an iPad pro to control the Spark. I have always experienced connection issues but the drone never flew away. It used to reconnect or just hover or come back home. Today it just flew off. This has really put me off using a drone as I do not enjoy this horrible feeling of losing such as expensive piece of kit without explanation. Also, if someone finds it, will they be able to use it our can I block it like a phone?
2018-2-24
Use props
Dips1979
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-2-24 05:46
I am sorry for your incident! If you wish so, you may upload your flightrecord to this site http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ and share the link with us. You'll find the file in a DJI subfolder nemed "flightrecord" on your mobile device.

2018-2-24
Use props
Dips1979
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks. Do I need to plug the device into iTunes to retrieve the file. I cannot find any document folder on the app itself.
2018-2-24
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

??? If you don't want answers, ok. But what is the point of your post then?
2018-2-24
Use props
Dips1979
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-2-24 13:35
??? If you don't want answers, ok. But what is the point of your post then?

Sorry I am new to the forum, that was a typing error. I really do appreciate your help.  
2018-2-24
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Dips1979 Posted at 2018-2-24 13:37
Sorry I am new to the forum, that was a typing error. I really do appreciate your help.

No problem! I am however not familiar at all with iOS devices. Nevertheless there is this file on your device and you have to upload it to that site. Maybe another i-user can jump in to assist you with that.
2018-2-24
Use props
Dips1979
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-2-24 13:42
No problem! I am however not familiar at all with iOS devices. Nevertheless there is this file on your device and you have to upload it to that site. Maybe another i-user can jump in to assist you with that.

Thanks, I've done some more research and yes  I need to connect to iTunes. So will do this and upload. Thanks again.  
2018-2-24
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Dips1979 Posted at 2018-2-24 13:51
Thanks, I've done some more research and yes  I need to connect to iTunes. So will do this and upload. Thanks again.

You are welcome, I have also alerted further assistance in the meantime.
2018-2-24
Use props
Dips1979
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I am sorry for your incident! If you wish so, you may upload your flightrecord to this site http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ and share the link with us. You'll find the file in a DJI subfolder nemed "flightrecord" on your mobile device.

Hi,

I have finally managed to upload the flight data.

Thanks
2018-2-25
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Dips1979 Posted at 2018-2-25 10:45
Hi,

I have finally managed to upload the flight data.

And where is it?
2018-2-25
Use props
Dips1979
lvl.1
United Kingdom

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/9OUM86FQISKOT334QWBQ/#
2018-2-25
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Thank you for posting your flight record. I feel really sorry for your loss but also have to mention as my first observation that the flight environment you have chosen was anything but suitable. Lots of metal almost everywhere. To me this explains the many error messages you can see in the flightrecord and the fact that in between and at the end the AC switched into ATTI mode where it was difficult for you to control it. I also have some doubts that you could still see it above all these factory buildings.
Your flightrecord stops quite early into the flight probably connection to RC was lost because not in line of sight. And your Spark was in ATTI mode. This means failsafe RTH was no longer possible. If all went well your Spark should have been hovering on the spot but because of ATTI mode any wind present would have carried it further with it. Battery level was still high at that time and therefore it is difficult to predict how much further it might have been taken by the wind before initiating auto landing because of low battery.
If you have a courageous friend with a camera drone you could ask him to inspect the area in a safe altitude from all the metal searching for your Spark. It can well have landed on one of the many roofs. Apart of that I recommend you open a support case with DJI, they have more possibilities to analyse the available data and might come to other conclusions: https://www.dji.com/support

2018-2-25
Use props
Dips1979
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-2-25 13:04
Thank you for posting your flight record. I feel really sorry for your loss but also have to mention as my first observation that the flight environment you have chosen was anything but suitable. Lots of metal almost everywhere. To me this explains the many error messages you can see in the flightrecord and the fact that in between and at the end the AC switched into ATTI mode where it was difficult for you to control it. I also have some doubts that you could still see it above all these factory buildings.
Your flightrecord stops quite early into the flight probably connection to RC was lost because not in line of sight. And your Spark was in ATTI mode. This means failsafe RTH was no longer possible. If all went well your Spark should have been hovering on the spot but because of ATTI mode any wind present would have carried it further with it. Battery level was still high at that time and therefore it is difficult to predict how much further it might have been taken by the wind before initiating auto landing because of low battery.
If you have a courageous friend with a camera drone you could ask him to inspect the area in a safe altitude from all the metal searching for your Spark. It can well have landed on one of the many roofs. Apart of that I recommend you open a support case with DJI, they have more possibilities to analyse the available data and might come to other conclusions: https://www.dji.com/support

Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated. I will contact DJI support if I get a chance or might just put this whole nightmare behind me stay away from drones.
2018-2-25
Use props
KurtVD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 365299 ft
Switzerland

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-2-25 13:04
Your flightrecord stops quite early into the flight probably connection to RC was lost because not in line of sight. And your Spark was in ATTI mode. This means failsafe RTH was no longer possible. If all went well your Spark should have been hovering on the spot but because of ATTI mode any wind present would have carried it further with it. Battery level was still high at that time and therefore it is difficult to predict how much further it might have been taken by the wind before initiating auto landing because of low battery.
If you have a courageous friend with a camera drone you could ask him to inspect the area in a safe altitude from all the metal searching for your Spark. It can well have landed on one of the many roofs. Apart of that I recommend you open a support case with DJI, they have more possibilities to analyse the available data and might come to other conclusions: https://www.dji.com/support

I am trying to understand the flight log. The OP states that the drone was flying "off at speed", and in the log, the maximum speed recorded is over 19mph, which is about its top speed. At the same time, there was a yaw error: does this mean that the Spark accelerated inadvertently because of the yaw error, not knowing what it was doing?
2018-2-25
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Dips1979 Posted at 2018-2-25 21:29
Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated. I will contact DJI support if I get a chance or might just put this whole nightmare behind me stay away from drones.

Yes, you definitely should contact DJI for assistance. They have better possibilities to analyse the data and are far more competent than I am. I wish you good luck! And it also does not mean that you should stay away from drones.
2018-2-25
Use props
Bayguy69
lvl.4
Flight distance : 944275 ft
Puerto Rico

Dips1979 Posted at 2018-2-25 21:29

I 'm with Wachtberger. Your problem was environment of the flight. You were flying about 45 feet from the ground and those buildings their ceiling are in metal. That's a big source of compass interferent to a drone. The other thing is EU regulations your Spark can only fly using the 2.4  wifi band, limiting the range and much more interference. I wish you luck to resolve this situation.
2018-2-26
Use props
Bayguy69
lvl.4
Flight distance : 944275 ft
Puerto Rico

KurtVD Posted at 2018-2-25 22:00
I am trying to understand the flight log. The OP states that the drone was flying "off at speed", and in the log, the maximum speed recorded is over 19mph, which is about its top speed. At the same time, there was a yaw error: does this mean that the Spark accelerated inadvertently because of the yaw error, not knowing what it was doing?

As the Spark was in ATTI mode, it will be carried away by the wind.
2018-2-26
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

Was it windy ?
2018-2-26
Use props
Dips1979
lvl.1
United Kingdom

There was wind but in my opinion it was not overly windy or dangerous to fly. Obviously it must have been
2018-2-26
Use props
Dips1979
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Bayguy69 Posted at 2018-2-26 00:55
I 'm with Wachtberger. Your problem was environment of the flight. You were flying about 45 feet from the ground and those buildings their ceiling are in metal. That's a big source of compass interferent to a drone. The other thing is EU regulations your Spark can only fly using the 2.4  wifi band, limiting the range and much more interference. I wish you luck to resolve this situation.

Thank you Bayguy69
2018-2-26
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

my theory...based purely on my opinion only is that the flyaways are not flyaways, but blownaways.     ie you lose compass...the spark goes into ATTI at which point it must be piloted.  It won’t hover in a fixed position.   If you can’t see it, or you aren’t experienced in flying ATTI, then it gets carried away with the wind.
2018-2-26
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

KurtVD Posted at 2018-2-25 22:00

To be honest I am not able to answer your question, but a more experienced pilot might be able.
2018-2-26
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Germany

Dips1979 Posted at 2018-2-26 01:21
There was wind but in my opinion it was not overly windy or dangerous to fly. Obviously it must have been

Wind might not have been too strong to fly, the problem is that in ATTI mode the AC can neither hold position nor brake. Thus already the slightest wind will carry it away. It can be flown in this condition, but it is a challenge, especially for somebody who is not familiar with ATTI mode. It hasn't happened to me yet and I can only try to be mentally prepared for the moment it will happen one day.
2018-2-26
Use props
KurtVD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 365299 ft
Switzerland

Well, I don't know what has happened in all the other flyaways, but in my case (near flyaway), the Spark also accelerated randomly, that's why I find this log interesting (I don't have my log anymore).

For those of you who blame the wind, I'm quite sure you wouldn't think so if you had experienced such a situation yourselves. It is distinctly different, seeing your aircraft accelerating almost to its top speed, or watching it getting pushed by the wind, it's just not the same. To get to 20mph, the wind would have to be stronger than that, and that is a pretty fast wind (just stick your head out of the car window at 25mph and see how it blows...), there's just no way a pilot wouldn't notice that.

To me, it seems that a lot of these flyaway reports have this one common element, that at some point, the aircraft flies off on its own, at high speed. Coincidence?
2018-2-26
Use props
DJT_MVSP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

I've experienced this issue within Los and the thing is that that it'll start to tilt at an angle (about 15 degrees) when it experiences compass interference and enters ATTI mode. This could be the IMU thinking that that's "horizontal" so it'll make it even harder to fly.
2018-2-26
Use props
Dips1979
lvl.1
United Kingdom

KurtVD Posted at 2018-2-26 20:02
Well, I don't know what has happened in all the other flyaways, but in my case (near flyaway), the Spark also accelerated randomly, that's why I find this log interesting (I don't have my log anymore).

For those of you who blame the wind, I'm quite sure you wouldn't think so if you had experienced such a situation yourselves. It is distinctly different, seeing your aircraft accelerating almost to its top speed, or watching it getting pushed by the wind, it's just not the same. To get to 20mph, the wind would have to be stronger than that, and that is a pretty fast wind (just stick your head out of the car window at 25mph and see how it blows...), there's just no way a pilot wouldn't notice that.

Yes, I agree, my Spark was accelerating away, not just gliding with the wind. DJI support have not responded to my support case so looks like I will have to take this on the chin.

Thanks to all for your comments and advise.
2018-2-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules