Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air & DJI Goggles How To
19784 20 2018-2-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mad_Angler1
Captain
Flight distance : 2741657 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Mavic Air & DJI Goggles

The new DJI Mavic Air is compatible with both the original DJI Goggles and the new DJI Goggles Racing Edition, like the DJI Spark you simply connect the via USB to the Mavic Air remote controller.

The first thing you need to do is make sure your Goggles are on the latest firmware, next connect the supplied Micro USB cable to the USB port on the bottom of the Goggles under the headband

The next thing to do is to connect the Goggles to the remote controller, it is worth being aware that you can only use one device at a time with the Mavic Air, even if connect both at the same time the first one you connect will take priory over the other.
The Goggles connect to the bottom USB port

I find the best way is to first of all connect your phone or tablet and turn on the Mavic Air and get it all connected to DJI Go 4 and ready to fly, then connect the Goggles to the bottom USB port

You can still connect to the bottom port even with your phone in the arms as there is plenty of clerance

At this point you will still not have connection on the Goggles as your phone is still connected, when you are ready to use the Goggles you can simply swap over by removing the side USB Cable from the RC and the conection will swap

Once the side plug is remove the Goggles will connect and you will see the 720P live feed appear as well as the OSD information populate at the top

Becuase the Mavic Air has front and rear sensros the object avoidance radar is shown at both the top and the bottom of the screen like in DJI Go 4, this is warning of anything that is the sensors range with the usual red, yellow and green bars

When using the DJI Goggles with the Mavic Air you have access to a range of options and features that you can control via the Goggles touch pad, this includes the Tapfly Flight mode

You can also change the camera settings and recording modes to

Recording resolution and frame rates can all be changed,In stills you can select various modes such as Panno and sphere modes as well as manual camera settings

The DJI Goggles Head-tracking feature also works on the Mavic Air and it allows you to control the camera pitch with your head movements

Overall

Overall using the DJI Goggles with the Mavic Air its a great experience and using USB over wireless really made no deference for me tbh, the image is as you would expect clear and crisp being 720p HD, control wise DJI have all the basics covered.

2018-2-24
Use props
Sasquad
First Officer
Flight distance : 319245 ft
United States

Mad Angler 1,
I jut got my mavic air and dji goggles. I did all the updates with no problems and went for a fly today. Not really impressed with the latency, but maybe that is my fault through a improper setting. The one Question I have for you is the only flight condition I have access to is "tap fly" , no others is this normal? How can I get others to show up? Or is this a limitation of the mavic air? Thanks so much for your help.

-Bill
2018-2-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Nice to see.
Thanks.
Too bad we are not allowed to fly like that in NL. (although some do)
2018-2-24
Use props
GoldenSun
Captain
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

Thanks for sharing!
2018-2-24
Use props
Mad_Angler1
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sasquad Posted at 2018-2-24 13:28
Mad Angler 1,
I jut got my mavic air and dji goggles. I did all the updates with no problems and went for a fly today. Not really impressed with the latency, but maybe that is my fault through a improper setting. The one Question I have for you is the only flight condition I have access to is "tap fly" , no others is this normal? How can I get others to show up? Or is this a limitation of the mavic air? Thanks so much for your help.

Currently there is only Tapfly mode available on the Air, hopefully DJI may introduce more in the future.

As for the latency with the Air it should just work tbh  
2018-2-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thanks for posting!
2018-2-27
Use props
richardmaj
New

United Kingdom

I've made a conclusion that if you want to move forward, you should analyse your thoughts and feelings. Writing psychology essay using https://nerdymates.com/blog/psychology-essay-topics will be great way to do this.
2018-3-6
Use props
ROCDESIGN
lvl.3
Ireland

The Mavic AIR and DJI Race edition goggles do not connect. I have that from DJI, what is this video about???
2018-3-16
Use props
ROCDESIGN
lvl.3
Ireland

2018-3-16
Use props
Mad_Angler1
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

That statement is not right if talking about the goggles Racing Edition with the Mavic Air, please see latest release notes for the Goggles Racing Edition the Mavic Air is now supported and works as shown.
2018-3-16
Use props
Mad_Angler1
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

See release notes https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... elease_Notes_EN.pdf
2018-3-16
Use props
Ryan Olivas
Second Officer

United States

That DJI Mavic Air looks insane especially with that new DJI goggles. But does it come with different accessories? Like some type of attachment for a tracking device maybe? Cause it would really suck if I lose sight of this drone.
2018-4-10
Use props
Lstumpf3
lvl.2

Canada

Ryan Olivas Posted at 2018-4-10 19:47
That DJI Mavic Air looks insane especially with that new DJI goggles. But does it come with different accessories? Like some type of attachment for a tracking device maybe? Cause it would really suck if I lose sight of this drone.

i don't think you could see your drone whenever you wear your dji goggles. but regarding to your fear of drone-loss fear, try looking for any tracking devices out there on google. my friend got a tracking device which i forgot the name and it is lightweight, which is good for drones
2018-4-10
Use props
impressiver
lvl.2
Flight distance : 106535 ft

Quick tip: To access head tracking options, swipe down with two fingers.
2018-4-11
Use props
Ryan Olivas
Second Officer

United States

Lstumpf3 Posted at 2018-4-10 19:57
i don't think you could see your drone whenever you wear your dji goggles. but regarding to your fear of drone-loss fear, try looking for any tracking devices out there on google. my friend got a tracking device which i forgot the name and it is lightweight, which is good for drones

I just searched on google about a tracking device that can be attached to a drone. It's called trackimo. I think that's the name of what you're trying to recommend.
2018-4-11
Use props
Lstumpf3
lvl.2

Canada

Ryan Olivas Posted at 2018-4-11 18:56
I just searched on google about a tracking device that can be attached to a drone. It's called trackimo. I think that's the name of what you're trying to recommend.

ohh i see. have you had yourself hooking up to it? does it works fine?
2018-4-11
Use props
Ryan Olivas
Second Officer

United States

Lstumpf3 Posted at 2018-4-11 19:04
ohh i see. have you had yourself hooking up to it? does it works fine?

it works perfectly for me. its very light and convenient
2018-4-17
Use props
Lstumpf3
lvl.2

Canada

Ryan Olivas Posted at 2018-4-17 20:24
it works perfectly for me. its very light and convenient

could give me the link @ryan? hmm seems interesting
2018-4-22
Use props
UPTGrad
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1447884 ft
  • >>>

Just a little side note.  When I fly the Mavic Air with just the Goggles connected, I am limited to flying only about 160 ft away.  Someone here helped me understand that you have to initially take off with the phone connected to get around this limitation.  Once airborne, I can disconnect the phone, and  plug in the Googles, and I am no longer limited in range.

For the Trackimo device, please note that the company currently has a problem in that the tracking software for iOS devices does not work !!  It won't start up.  If you are planning to use your phone to find your device out in the wild, you are currently out of luck.  The computer web version of the software doesn't work on iPhones either.
2018-4-22
Use props
Ryan Olivas
Second Officer

United States

Lstumpf3 Posted at 2018-4-22 18:43
could give me the link @ryan? hmm seems interesting

here's the link https://store.trackimo.com/products/3g-trackimo-guardian
2018-4-22
Use props
SunshynFF
lvl.2
Flight distance : 30010 ft
United States

Lstumpf3 Posted at 2018-4-10 19:57
i don't think you could see your drone whenever you wear your dji goggles. but regarding to your fear of drone-loss fear, try looking for any tracking devices out there on google. my friend got a tracking device which i forgot the name and it is lightweight, which is good for drones

As of Dec. 2019 the FAA has not made a decision on flying non LOS using FPV, so as it stands it is not against regulations. They do, as always, encourage strongly having a spotter.  I can tell you from personal experience flying many years, both ways, you have much more situational awareness flying FPV, providing your camera feed is intact.  That's why the racing and freestyle quads built by the pilots, useing betaflight to program them, always use a failsafe option.  You can set it to try and hover/land, but since most don't have gps/ground sensors/auto hold, it's hard to guesstamate throttle level needed to land, so most just set the failsafe to shut down all motors.  Also, I always keep my fat shark goggles (built in dvr) to auto record when I arm.  That way if I am doing some tricky maneuvers and crash, and can't tell exactly where, you can go back to the footage in your goggles and watch it back in slo mo and see approximately where you went down.
2019-12-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules