Mavic Air, 2017 MacBook Pro USB-C and High Sierra?
6352 13 2018-2-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
tahos
New
United States

Having a difficult time with this hardware combo:

2017 MacBook Pro 17", USB-C (of course) and High Sierra 10.13.3

USB-C cable from Mavic Air to this Mac isn't recognized. I installed the DJI Assistant v.1.2.2.827 with USB drivers as well, rebooted, and confirmed that drivers are loaded.

Any ideas? I cannot download original video files off Mavic internal memory, as direct cable is the only supported method.
2018-2-24
Use props
Mavic Ace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 333976 ft
  • >>>
United States

I hope this isn’t a stupid question but is the Air powered up?
2018-2-24
Use props
tahos
New
United States

Yes. The drone is powered up.
2018-2-24
Use props
pawel_g
lvl.3
Flight distance : 509268 ft
Poland

I'm using 2017 MacBook Pro 15" (is there a 17" version?) - DJI cable connected via Apple adapter (as DJI was not smart enough to include USB-C to USB-C cable).
Works ok, but I did not installed USB driver as this is only for Android tethering (I'm not installing any unsigned kernel extensions for security).

Br, Pawel.
2018-2-24
Use props
Mavic Ace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 333976 ft
  • >>>
United States

I just connected my Air to my 2017 MacBook Pro using the cable that came with the Air. USBC end connected to the Air and the USB end connected to the Apple triple adapter dongle. It worked just fine. The internal storage shows up on my desktop as “no name” and the sd card is “untitled”.
2018-2-24
Use props
tahos
New
United States

Thanks pawel_g. No there isn't a 17". I have a 15" but this forum doesn't seem to let me edit prior posts.

I'm going to try to disable the installed Android USB driver (which I assumed was needed for an Android OS powering the Mavic - and see what happens.

Could you specify which Apple adapter you are using? I have USB-C to USB-C cable which I have and thought this should work.
2018-2-24
Use props
pawel_g
lvl.3
Poland

tahos Posted at 2018-2-24 13:19
Thanks pawel_g. No there isn't a 17". I have a 15" but this forum doesn't seem to let me edit prior posts.

I'm going to try to disable the installed Android USB driver (which I assumed was needed for an Android OS powering the Mavic - and see what happens.

I'm using the triple adapter (USB, HDMI and USB-C).
I thing that USB-C to USB-C cable should also work - so my idea is that the driver screws up things.

Br, Pawel
2018-2-24
Use props
tahos
New
United States

FIXED!

I used the DJI-supplied USB-C to USB-A cable, connected it to an Apple USB-C to USB-A adapter.

Why this works and a USB-C to USB-C cable does not is crazy, but your post about the Apple adapter got me thinking. Thanks everyone.
2018-2-24
Use props
pawel_g
lvl.3
Poland

I've just checked that using USB-C to USB-C cable it also works in my case. But drives did not show for the first time. When I've connected Air again they showed up.

Br, Pawel.
2018-2-24
Use props
PUMMY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 376450 ft
United Kingdom

MacBook owner here and USB-C at both ends with no drivers installed

Worked first time, but this was the latest OS
2018-2-25
Use props
Buzzyone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

tahos Posted at 2018-2-24 13:19

I have tested the USB-C to USB-C lead that you would use to charge the MacBook and that works fine, I have also used the Belkin USB-C to Micro USB with the adapter supplied by DJI, that also works.

The only thing I found that won't work is Belkin Thunderbolt cable with USB-C on both ends, this was with the latest version of assistant with the additional drivers installed by the package.

The RC also connects fine using the Belkin USB-C to Micr USB.
2018-2-25
Use props
djiuser_huX8aDrvbynV
New
United States

tahos Posted at 2018-2-24 13:31
FIXED!

I used the DJI-supplied USB-C to USB-A cable, connected it to an Apple USB-C to USB-A adapter.

Was having the same issue with my Mavic Air 2. I couldnt connect the internal storage or micro sd card via USB C to my macbook pro (mojave macbook pro 2019).

I could not connect USB C to USB C, I had to use USB C an adapter dongle then connect to my macbook.

What is up with that?
2020-6-20
Use props
BobWinNV
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 284209 ft
  • >>>
United States

Lots of DJI products claim usb c because they have usb c connectors on them.  The truth is that many of these products do not follow full smart usb protocol. This is why DJI always provides a USB A (often 2.0) to USB C cable.  That usb A connector tells your smart usb c computer that it is really connected to a dumb device on the other end of the cable. Why does a usb c to usb c cable sometimes work?  Well if you connect the pieces in the right order (I believe it is best to connect the usb c to the DJI product first) the computer will handshake with the other end and know that it is a dumb device there.  USB C is great but until all our devices conform to true usb c protocol there we be a lot of head scratching going on.
2020-6-20
Use props
djiuser_huX8aDrvbynV
New
United States

BobWinNV Posted at 6-20 20:48
Lots of DJI products claim usb c because they have usb c connectors on them.  The truth is that many of these products do not follow full smart usb protocol. This is why DJI always provides a USB A (often 2.0) to USB C cable.  That usb A connector tells your smart usb c computer that it is really connected to a dumb device on the other end of the cable. Why does a usb c to usb c cable sometimes work?  Well if you connect the pieces in the right order (I believe it is best to connect the usb c to the DJI product first) the computer will handshake with the other end and know that it is a dumb device there.  USB C is great but until all our devices conform to true usb c protocol there we be a lot of head scratching going on.

Thanks for the explanation! Wish DJI would put that somewhere.

DJI air 2 combo does not come with a USB A to USB C though.
2020-6-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules