1377 3 2018-2-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mavic Ace
lvl.4
Flight distance : 333976 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am new to video editing. I’ve been using iMovie and I like it for what it is (free). As a still photographer I’ve never thought of things like transitions. I’ve used fade to black and soft blurs. Those seem to be pretty subtle. Some of the other ones they have just look cheesy. I was watching some of my favorite TV shows, mostly on History and Discovery and realized that they use mostly jump cuts with transitions only really used for creative effect.  What are some of your favorite transitions?  Do you find that after editing for a while you view TV and movies in a whole new way?
2018-2-24
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

There already is a thread on this topic and I fully agree with the majority opinion there. Transitions are for amateur videos only with very few exceptions. To me transitions have been invented by the video editor developers for promoting their products and competing with other developers. If you watch professional productions, be it cinema, documentaries or whatsoever, you will not see any transitions and it is good that way!
2018-2-24
Use props
eddieNoob
lvl.4
Puerto Rico

VERY occasionally, in some cases with landscapes, a quick lap-dissolve transition can be a good thing, but that's about it.
2018-2-25
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I know it is not 'pro', but I like the short fades (like A>B, not via black or something)
Sometimes I do hard cuts, but that requires for a separate sound track (or you get these noticeable changes in sound)
Now with a drone you don't have that issue, I know, but I have not edited many drone videos yet.  
2018-2-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules