Battery Cell Broken
39599 26 2018-2-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
PitchPowerTrim
lvl.1
United States

Bought my Mavic Pro June 2017 along with three batterys. I don't fly very often. So as of today the average times my batteries have been recharged is 12 or so. Like I said, not a lot of flight time here.

Two batteries suddenly give me the battery cell broken message. DJI suggested I discharge to 5%, let the battery cool, then recharge and try again. Same results: battery cell broken.

In the DJI app I can see that in both "broken" batterys one cell is .05 volts lower than the other two. When the batteries discharge all cells discahrge at the same rate. The "broken" cell is always within 0.04-.05 volts of the other two.

I have a theroy ...the cells are not actually broken but it's the software seeing the imbalance and bricking the battery. Thoughts on my theory? And, natuarlly, DJI apologizes and reminds me that batterys only come with a 6 month warranty.

I'm seriosuly considering opening a battery up, identifiying the "broken" cell, and recharging it myself. I have the tools needed to do this. Anyone ever attempt this?

-Mike
2018-2-24
Use props
lomo2017
lvl.4

United States

Did you update the firmware on the broken batteries?
2018-2-24
Use props
PitchPowerTrim
lvl.1
United States

Wait ... you have to update firmware on batteries too??? ....how do I do that? I've update, recently, the Mavic when the DJI app said it was time. Since then all three batteries have been used in the drone. I don't get any messages, in the app, saying to update the other batteries.

-Mike
2018-2-24
Use props
rparge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 173852 ft
United States

PitchPowerTrim Posted at 2018-2-24 16:40
Wait ... you have to update firmware on batteries too??? ....how do I do that? I've update, recently, the Mavic when the DJI app said it was time. Since then all three batteries have been used in the drone. I don't get any messages, in the app, saying to update the other batteries.

-Mike

You will get a message something like "firmware mismatch"
I just got this on a Phantom battery.
All you do is acknowledge the update, and you are good to go.

2018-2-24
Use props
PitchPowerTrim
lvl.1
United States

Thanks .... I'm not getting any message like this on any battery, "broken" or otherwise.
2018-2-24
Use props
PitchPowerTrim
lvl.1
United States

Just now plugged my Mavic into my computer and DJI assistant says the firmware is current. That's with one of the "broken" batteries.
2018-2-24
Use props
lomo2017
lvl.4

United States

PitchPowerTrim Posted at 2018-2-24 17:51
Just now plugged my Mavic into my computer and DJI assistant says the firmware is current. That's with one of the "broken" batteries.

With the firmware up to date I guess you must have bad batteries. Just so weird 2 at the same time.
2018-2-24
Use props
DJT_MVSP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

PitchPowerTrim Posted at 2018-2-24 17:45
Thanks .... I'm not getting any message like this on any battery, "broken" or otherwise.

To update the battery using DJI GO :
1. Enter the live view
2. Exit the live view
3. Repeat until firmware mismatch is shown with a slider
2018-2-24
Use props
PitchPowerTrim
lvl.1
United States

DJT_MVSP Posted at 2018-2-24 19:58
To update the battery using DJI GO :
1. Enter the live view
2. Exit the live view

When you say go in and out of live view I'm presuming you mean open/close the app. Tried that. No battery mismatch errors.

Can anyone speak to the rest of my post? Anyone try what I want to try? Maybe I'll be the first.
2018-2-25
Use props
Bekaru Tree
First Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

When there is a cell deviation value exceeding the specs then the  battery is considered faulty - so on that basis it seems correct that it is bricking your battery. you can certainly try to fix the battery but be cautious when testing it out - you will definatley want to fly close around you and certainly not over water or hill tops. If you loose the drone for whatever reason whilst using a home repaired battery dji will not reimburse you - you will loose your fixed battery and your drone. Unfortunatley the cost of a replacement drone means you have got a lot to loose if it does not work out.
2018-2-25
Use props
DJT_MVSP
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2018645 ft
Singapore

PitchPowerTrim Posted at 2018-2-25 06:18
When you say go in and out of live view I'm presuming you mean open/close the app. Tried that. No battery mismatch errors.

Can anyone speak to the rest of my post? Anyone try what I want to try? Maybe I'll be the first.

Open live camera view: Press Fly to be able to see the video transmission. Then go back to the main menu. Repeat till you see firmware inconsistent
2018-2-25
Use props
TPA
lvl.1

United States

We have four Phantom 4 Pro systems. Two units, two batteries from one unit and on battery for the other unit , have developed the same issue. Two batteries developed the problem on the same day. Batteries are showing fully charged, but bad cell warning prevents flight.

Would be nice if DJI stepped up an developed a better solution than "hey, try this. It might work".
2018-9-26
Use props
fansf0765a77
lvl.2
Poland

I have the same issue - battery charged only 11 times (production date 12.2017) - one year - this is my third battery from combo pack, so this battery fly just a few times.

first cell= 3,97v-4,00v
second cell= 3,83v-3,86v
third cell= 3,95v-3,99v
2018-12-16
Use props
fans7f46ef1b
New

United States

I think DJI’s batteries are designed to fail. They can only sell a limited number of drones, but they can sell an unlimited number of batteries. It’s all about money.
2019-1-10
Use props
CplMulder
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2352 ft
United Kingdom

Hi all,

I know this post is a year old..... but I have EXACTLY the same issue..... bought the extended flight pack with 3 batteries, also don't fly that much, I have cycled the batteries when flying.... 2 years on TWO batteries are giving the "broken cell" message.... also when trying to charge them the 3rd LED starts blinking after about 20 seconds.... I know from home build drones that a standard LIPO can be maintained by "balancing the cells" (my LIPO charger has this functionality) there must be a way of doing this rather than spending £80 per battery to replace.... any ideas would be appreciated.
2019-4-19
Use props
djiuser_8zmuDiwrBMqi
New

hi I only had my mavic pro now for 7 months only flown once an now the battery error comes up I also check out the flyte app dji go an it saying a broken coil omg is only one flyte I get I have a new platinum battery I changed it fully an it seems fine every thing works perfectly so who knows how to balance the cells I have a charger that has cell balance but where would I get a charge connector to plug into my balance charger an would this work to balance the cells I really am so disappointed in the fact I got one flyte out of the original battery dji really have to adress this problem as it's a deal killer hope some out ther can give me some info on this rediculas battery fiasco
2019-9-13
Use props
djiuser_8zmuDiwrBMqi
New

hi I only had my mavic pro now for 7 months only flown once an now the battery error comes up I also check out the flyte app dji go an it saying a broken coil omg is only one flyte I get I have a new platinum battery I changed it fully an it seems fine every thing works perfectly so who knows how to balance the cells I have a charger that has cell balance but where would I get a charge connector to plug into my balance charger an would this work to balance the cells I really am so disappointed in the fact I got one flyte out of the original battery dji really have to adress this problem as it's a deal killer hope some out ther can give me some info on this rediculas battery fiasco
2019-9-13
Use props
MS82
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14390 ft
Portugal

I have the same issue. Disappointing... I think they should make it so it's easier to fix or re-calibrate the battery or at least tell us why they don't allow that.
2019-12-3
Use props
fans0d49d13e
lvl.2
Flight distance : 463832 ft
  • >>>
United States

i have the same problem with an  inspire 1, but my voltage is fine and within specs. this has happened to all 3 of my batteries within the last 2 days, broken cell
2020-1-5
Use props
fans79fc04a2
lvl.1

New Zealand

TPA Posted at 2018-9-26 03:19
We have four Phantom 4 Pro systems. Two units, two batteries from one unit and on battery for the other unit , have developed the same issue. Two batteries developed the problem on the same day. Batteries are showing fully charged, but bad cell warning prevents flight.

Would be nice if DJI stepped up an developed a better solution than "hey, try this. It might work".

Hey, have you had any luck back then with your battery or heard back from DJI? Thanks
2020-1-27
Use props
fans79fc04a2
lvl.1

New Zealand

TPA Posted at 2018-9-26 03:19

Hey, have you had any luck back then with your battery or heard back from DJI? Thanks
2020-1-27
Use props
Moshe Papo
New

United Kingdom

I solved the problem with my P4P.
Drained the battery as far as it would go, basically until the drone shut down, then charged until the battery lights went out, plugged it into the drone, switched the drone on for about 5 minutes, removed the battery and plugged it into the charger again until the lights went out, disconnected from the charger, long pressed the battery round button (about 10 seconds) it sort of reset itself.
2020-2-7
Use props
Mateo Matthew
New

United States

Moshe Papo Posted at 2-7 23:46
I solved the problem with my P4P.
Drained the battery as far as it would go, basically until the drone shut down, then charged until the battery lights went out, plugged it into the drone, switched the drone on for about 5 minutes, removed the battery and plugged it into the charger again until the lights went out, disconnected from the charger, long pressed the battery round button (about 10 seconds) it sort of reset itself.

not sure I understand you fully? you drain them and charge them back up and it works?
2020-3-25
Use props
djiuser_1IkgGfyYIoC9
New
Flight distance : 31289 ft

Pakistan

How to fix "battery cell broken" error of mavic pro??
2020-4-2
Use props
fans273876eb
New

United States

I’m in the same boat as everyone else. I also bought the 3 pack and all of them had errors so I bit the bullet and bought two brand new batteries. I made sure to put them away after charging them in “storage” mode on the charger (approx 50% charge). I just tried to go fly and every battery is throwing the same error and won’t let me fly. This is totally ridiculous!  This means that I have to plan out each time I want to fly it, order batteries to arrive that day, charge them and enjoy. Then I may as well throw those batteries out because they will just sit for a few months and throw errors next time I want to fly.
2020-8-21
Use props
djiuser_OnsDZEtN09oc
New

Brazil

Bom dia, conseguiu resolver seu problema? estou com o mesmo problema e a bateria só tem 23 ciclos
2020-11-30
Use props
azzido
lvl.1

Romania

If at least once cell is over discharged then it is very possible that the microcontroller enters Permanent Failure state. It is hard to unlock it. If you charge the cells externally then you need to Reset the chip which is difficult due to security levels.
2020-12-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules