PUMMY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 376450 ft
United Kingdom

Another fan, failing on a Mavic Air.
Background:
1) Under 1 hour of flight time
2) 4 battery charges flown
3) No hard landings or crashes ( Flight records are all synced and show no impacts  or hand caught landings )

IMG_0002.PNG IMG_0001.PNG

Tried...
1) Factory defaults restore via DJI Assistant 2
2) Firmware reinstall of the current version, using DJI Assistant 2 (Saw a link where install of old firmware then to new worked, but I don't know the process)
3) Compressed Air clean, through the vents using a low pressure compressed air can (Ensuring no liquid was present before apply into the aircraft)

Case has been raised - CAS-1495157-Y5C4G1

@DJI Admins, there is a repair centre a few miles from my current location, would you consider allowing this centre to perform the investigation?It is not clear if UPS EU will pick up the package or if I need to send it at my own cost.  Can you please look at your repair webpages and see if you can confirm when the address is entered, if UPS will be able to pick up from the address or not?  Should be easy based on country and zip code of the address.

My thoughts?
1) Aircraft has no filtration mechanisms availble to prevent debris from entering into the fan mechanisms, causing to a mechanical failure
2) High rpm fan may fail when less than gentle input corrections are encountered and the bearing / support is not designed to accomodate this
3) Software bug - Not sure how this would happen, but others seem to of been able to get this fixed using firmware updates.

Points for DJI to consider
1) Hard shutdown the aircraft to prevent the logic board from cooking and causing even more damage
2) Review how the air enters the aircraft to allow cooling to take place, and look to change this to actively prevent debris entry?
3) For the design engineers in a later update - When connected via USB to a computer, shutdown the GPU / CPU / camera components BY DEFAULT, so that only the items required for the aircraft to communicate with DJI Assistant 2 are enabled and powered on - If you have a cable attached to the craft, you can disable the obstacle avoidance GPU's and prevent power to the ESC's, as well as limit gimbal power since you are connected to a computer.4) Can you please review how the gimbal motors can be powered down, when the protector is attached?  New flyers can and will forget to take the cover off.  If you can detect this, maybe post a warning to check the gimbal cover has been removed, as well as saying "gimbal motor overloaded"

2018-2-24
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Hey PUMMY, sorry for the troubles. Just to verify, has the drone been involved in the crash or hard landing before? This will be forwarded to our engineers for review. Also, could you tell us the case number? We'll check the exact status and keep follow up.
2018-2-24
Use props
PUMMY
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-2-24 18:43
Hey PUMMY, sorry for the troubles. Just to verify, has the drone been involved in the crash or hard landing before? This will be forwarded to our engineers for review. Also, could you tell us the case number? We'll check the exact status and keep follow up.

Hi DJI Susan
Updated the post to confirm no crashes or hard landings
Also the case number has been added - CAS-1495157-Y5C4G1
I do want to ask about three points...

1) I asked originally if a local recommended service centre can take a look or not. The shipping costs from London to a Belgium alone would cover some of the charges at the centre and would make the turnaround time  far quicker for those who are near a centre
2) RC geeks did a tear down and taking the top plastic cover off is only 2 screws behind the gimbal and then  popping off the cover. It shows where the tabs are and would easily allow people to clear out any debris to get the fan working. I know opening the unit will break the warranty, however in this case would DJI at least consider allowing this action to be performed? - I know this is NOT standard procedure you will not have the authority to allow this, on a public forum.  The reason why I ask is that this does not remove any wires inside the unit, jut removes the top cover so that an inspection of the fan is possible and the compressed air clean can be performed to see if this fixes the issue.
3) Would a log export from the aircraft, be needed?  I saw the option in DJI Assistant 2 but was not sure if this needed a case, or some approval from DJI to perform this export.

Thanks

2018-2-24
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

PUMMY Posted at 2018-2-24 23:51
Hi DJI Susan
Updated the post to confirm no crashes or hard landings
Also the case number has been added - CAS-1495157-Y5C4G1

It is recommended to DJI Official Service Center for a fully diagnosis. The local team will do damage assessment once received the unit. We'll keep follow up as well.
2018-2-25
Use props
PUMMY
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hi

Shipping label received, I am wondering if I can add in another issue in the same package.  The microUSB to lightning cable is not working, so I have been using the USB port at the bottom of the controller with the MFi cable for my iPhone.  Can I place that into the same package or do I have to raise a new case?

I would really like to avoid another package having to be shipped, if it can be placed into the same box for the service centre.
2018-2-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

PUMMY Posted at 2018-2-26 04:58
Hi

Shipping label received, I am wondering if I can add in another issue in the same package.  The microIUSB to lightning cable is not working, so I have been using the USB port at the bottom of the controller with the MFi cable for my iPhone.  Can I place that into the same package or do I have to raise a new case?

Of course you can send the cable together as long as it belongs to this drone. Please illustrate the issue clearly in the paper form, we will also make it clear in the case so that our repair center will evaluate it when it arrives.
2018-2-26
Use props
PUMMY
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Thanks DJI Mindy

I will mark it on the paperwork in hand writing and explain the issue, as well as place a copy of this thread into the box.
2018-2-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

PUMMY Posted at 2018-2-26 06:22
Thanks DJI Mindy

I will mark it on the paperwork in hand writing and explain the issue, as well as place a copy of this thread into the box.

No problem, I have also left a message in the case, please keep us updated if you need any further assistance, we are always here to help.
2018-2-26
Use props
PUMMY
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Update: The air was delivered on the 5th, and waiting for the inspection
2018-3-6
Use props
PUMMY
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hi Admins

Can you please let me know if there is a delay on this case?

The repair case is still showing an evaluation whereas another case in the Mavic Air forum was turned around in 24 hours

Thanks
2018-3-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

PUMMY Posted at 2018-3-8 00:42
Hi Admins

Can you please let me know if there is a delay on this case?

We are so sorry to have kept you waiting, the case has been escalated to local team to expedite the repair process, thanks for the patience and sorry for the inconvenience caused.
2018-3-8
Use props
PUMMY
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-3-8 03:35
We are so sorry to have kept you waiting, the case has been escalated to local team to expedite the repair process, thanks for the patience and sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Thanks Mindy

I have a trip coming up and would really like to have this back by next Friday, so I can take it with me

Do you think that will be possible?
2018-3-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

PUMMY Posted at 2018-3-8 05:02
Thanks Mindy

I have a trip coming up and would really like to have this back by next Friday, so I can take it with me

I'm not sure at this moment since the drone hasn't been evaluated, we will help to speed up the process and I will also keep an eye on it. Hope you will get it back before your holiday.
2018-3-8
Use props
PUMMY
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Thank you, I really would like to take it as I will have access to some good scenery to video.
2018-3-8
Use props
PUMMY
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hi Admins

Thanks for the escalation, the evaluation took place and the fee has been paid.

They found sand in the unit that had blocked the fan.

If anyone flies on a beach, make sure you are really careful about the ingress of dirt as the design of the Mavic has no method to filter the air used by the cooling fan.  Otherwise you will be good on any other location.

Pictures if you guys are interested...

Let's hope it comes back pretty soonish
On a plus note, when the warranty runs out, then I am sure this will be an easy repair for those that are capable of performing a DIY fix

:-)
2018-3-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

PUMMY Posted at 2018-3-8 05:56
Hi Admins

Thanks for the escalation, the evaluation took place and the fee has been paid.

Thanks for your update and sharing your opinion with other users, the sand could easily affect the electronic device, please be careful. Hope the drone will get fixed soon.
2018-3-8
Use props
PUMMY
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Hi Admins

Got an email yesterday with a UPS tracking number but when I checked it today, the number is NOT found

Can you please check the number is correct?

If the tracking number is incorrect, can you please PM me the correct one?

Thank you
2018-3-10
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

PUMMY Posted at 2018-3-10 00:33
Hi Admins

Got an email yesterday with a UPS tracking number but when I checked it today, the number is NOT found

Tracking number has been sent to you by PM, it may take some time for UPS to update the status in their website, please wait a moment and check again.
2018-3-10
Use props
PUMMY
lvl.3
United Kingdom

@Admins

The tracking number provided in the email on the 9th at 18:32 CET and via private message are the same, and still is not shown on the UPS website

Can you please confirm this is the correct tracking number?
2018-3-10
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

PUMMY Posted at 2018-3-10 08:33
@Admins

The tracking number provided in the email on the 9th at 18:32 CET and via private message are the same, and still is not shown on the UPS website

It takes some time to update on UPS website on the weekend. Do not worry, the package is already on the way, you will receive it soon.
2018-3-10
Use props
PUMMY
lvl.3
United Kingdom

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-3-10 19:46
It takes some time to update on UPS website on the weekend. Do not worry, the package is already on the way, you will receive it soon.

Hi

Checked this morning and UPS are still not showing the tracking number

I have to organise with my work to be home when this arrives, which is why I am asking for the tracking number

Since this is now past the weekend and still is showing as unknown, can you please verify you are seeing the tracking information on the UPS site?

Please let me know either way

Thank you

2018-3-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

PUMMY Posted at 2018-3-12 01:24
Hi

Checked this morning and UPS are still not showing the tracking number

The status has been updated in the UPS website, sorry to have kept you waiting, please check again. Hope you will get it soon.
2018-3-12
Use props
PUMMY
lvl.3
United Kingdom

So it is now updated

When the UPS ticket has been raised, but NOT collected, the ticket remains in an unknown state.  IF this happens late on a Friday, then it will be Monday afternoon before it’ shows up on the UPS site.

Might help someone with their anxiety of not having a valid tacking number
2018-3-13
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

PUMMY Posted at 2018-3-13 07:07
So it is now updated

When the UPS ticket has been raised, but NOT collected, the ticket remains in an unknown state.  IF this happens late on a Friday, then it will be Monday afternoon before it’ shows up on the UPS site.

That is right, sorry for the inconvenience caused, please keep us updated if there is any other issue.
2018-3-13
Use props
fans5eef4856
lvl.1
United States

Hey you guys I had the same problem I fly many DJI Drones for years hear me out I solved it.... This is what happened no joke I put in a request to send back to DJI for repair or replacement. The day before I send back I turned it on one more time to see if it would work because honestly just like all of you here I barely used this MAVIC AIR and it started to overheat processor. The reason is that the FAN is not turning on anymore its stuck so therefore your drone is not getting air to cool down so the drone can take off and not have any problems.

SOLVED: This is what I did... First turn on your drone let the red lights come on with the error. Then I started hitting the TOPSIDE with the palm of my hand where all the heat is coming from. What did it is I turned the drone upside down and hit it on the palm of my hand pretty hard the RED Lights immediately turned off and went yellow the fan kicked in loudly after. I then let it sit for a while the initial error went away. I turned the drone off and on the fan is working the error is officially gone. So I suggest hit the TOP SIDE of your drone the opposite side of the camera. This is where all the heat was coming from with my drone and this is the fan I think is located. For whatever reason the fan is not kicking on and it needs come banging. Id rather do this if i'm traveling and such don't have time to send it back sometimes these highend electronics need some banging around to come back to life.
2018-4-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

fans5eef4856 Posted at 2018-4-5 11:17
Hey you guys I had the same problem I fly many DJI Drones for years hear me out I solved it.... This is what happened no joke I put in a request to send back to DJI for repair or replacement. The day before I send back I turned it on one more time to see if it would work because honestly just like all of you here I barely used this MAVIC AIR and it started to overheat processor. The reason is that the FAN is not turning on anymore its stuck so therefore your drone is not getting air to cool down so the drone can take off and not have any problems.

SOLVED: This is what I did... First turn on your drone let the red lights come on with the error. Then I started hitting the TOPSIDE with the palm of my hand where all the heat is coming from. What did it is I turned the drone upside down and hit it on the palm of my hand pretty hard the RED Lights immediately turned off and went yellow the fan kicked in loudly after. I then let it sit for a while the initial error went away. I turned the drone off and on the fan is working the error is officially gone. So I suggest hit the TOP SIDE of your drone the opposite side of the camera. This is where all the heat was coming from with my drone and this is the fan I think is located. For whatever reason the fan is not kicking on and it needs come banging. Id rather do this if i'm traveling and such don't have time to send it back sometimes these highend electronics need some banging around to come back to life.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us. It is not recommended to take the drone apart at your end which may void the warranty, please kindly note and understand. Anyway, I'm glad to know you have solved it.
2018-4-6
Use props
PUMMY
lvl.3
United Kingdom

That method screams of sand or dirt being lodged inside the fan unit, and you dislodged it whilst the fan power was applied.  Good hack there
2018-4-20
Use props
djiuser_wlT5PRLC7RXL
New

Philippines

Hi,

I'm also having a problem with my Mavic Air. It is saying that the chip is overheated and I cannot hear the fan working. I'm currently here in the Philippines. Any recommendations on how I can resolve this issue? Thank you.
2019-4-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

djiuser_wlT5PRLC7RXL Posted at 4-21 06:27
Hi,

I'm also having a problem with my Mavic Air. It is saying that the chip is overheated and I cannot hear the fan working. I'm currently here in the Philippines. Any recommendations on how I can resolve this issue? Thank you.

Hi there, if you cannot hear the fans, the drone will need to be sent in for the evaluation, please contact your seller or our support www.dji.com/support for further assistance, sorry for the inconvenience caused.
2019-4-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules