Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
New Mavic Air - Firmware update freezes - grounded :(
3652 21 2018-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
samflies
lvl.1
Flight distance : 4360 ft
New Zealand

Hi Folks

I got an awesome surprise from my wife yesterday for my birthday, an awesome DJI Mavic Air. Unfortunately I am still not airborn.

After unboxing and charging the batteries I fired the drone up and connected via the DJI GO 4 app, it alerted that it needed a firmware upgrade. It downloaded, transmitted and then started to install 'Aircraft Firmware: v01.00.0200' It froze on 83% complete and after leaving it for over an hour it never moved. Since then I've tried restarting the aircraft and controller a dozen times or more. It always freezes at 83%. I've also tried reinstalling the app.

I've tried to update the aircraft via the DJI Assistant 2 software on both Mac and PC, it gets stuck every time on 76%. I've connect just the controller to DJI Assistant 2 and that has updated fine but the aircraft itself appears to be bricked on arrival. I've reset the factory settings via Assistant and it still freezes at 76%, but now the Go 4 app will not even start upgrading and just errors out. It will not let me fly without updating. I've tried everything mentioned on the forums, this seems like a common issue. Any help very greatly appreciated. Really looking forward to getting this bad boy in the air!

Many thanks for your help

2018-2-25
Use props
riot!
lvl.2
Poland

I had same issue. Try to connect to wifi or reset the router.
2018-2-25
Use props
samflies
lvl.1
New Zealand

riot! Posted at 2018-2-25 01:16
I had same issue. Try to connect to wifi or reset the router.

Thank you most kindly for the idea. I gave this a whirl and no luck. For some reason now Assistant no longer recognizes the drone at all. Doesn't come up as an option. Not sure if this is to do with rebooting the wifi or just a co-incidence. The remote still connects fine. Go4 still doesnt want to even start the update, it says its not connected to the aircraft (but lights are all green) . Thanks anyway for the suggestion.
2018-2-25
Use props
samflies
lvl.1
New Zealand

Hi DJI Support - any help please? Still no change after countless attempts. At a suggestion I tried installing an SD card, no help. My support ticket has is being ignored. This sounds like its a common problem.
Any help very greatly appreciated. I'm looking out into the skies and daydreaming of flying!
Cheers
2018-2-27
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

samflies Posted at 2018-2-27 12:27
Hi DJI Support - any help please? Still no change after countless attempts. At a suggestion I tried installing an SD card, no help. My support ticket has is being ignored. This sounds like its a common problem.
Any help very greatly appreciated. I'm looking out into the skies and daydreaming of flying!
Cheers

Have you already tried with the latest version of DJI Assistant? There has been a new one on 24 Feb: https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#downloads
2018-2-27
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Did you call DJI Technical Support?
2018-2-27
Use props
samflies
lvl.1
New Zealand

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-2-27 12:44
Have you already tried with the latest version of DJI Assistant? There has been a new one on 24 Feb: https://www.dji.com/mavic-air/info#downloads

Thanks Wachtberger. Yes I've uninstalled and reInstalled DJI Assistant several times now. Including in the last couple of days, but that you most kindly for the suggestion. I'll give it another try just for the hell of it.
2018-2-27
Use props
samflies
lvl.1
New Zealand

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-2-27 12:48
Did you call DJI Technical Support?

Thanks davidmartingraf - no I haven't as yet. I've tried an email ticket and online chat. Neither have been much help. The email channel is deathly quiet and the online chat fellow just told me to send it to a service centre. As I'm in New Zealand that's not very easy (or cheap). I'll take your advice and give them a call. Many thanks!
2018-2-27
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

samflies Posted at 2018-2-27 13:13
Thanks Wachtberger. Yes I've uninstalled and reInstalled DJI Assistant several times now. Including in the last couple of days, but that you most kindly for the suggestion. I'll give it another try just for the hell of it.

I wish you good luck!
2018-2-27
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

samflies Posted at 2018-2-27 13:17
Thanks davidmartingraf - no I haven't as yet. I've tried an email ticket and online chat. Neither have been much help. The email channel is deathly quiet and the online chat fellow just told me to send it to a service centre. As I'm in New Zealand that's not very easy (or cheap). I'll take your advice and give them a call. Many thanks!

Don't they offer you an RMA with shipping label?
2018-2-27
Use props
achim1989
lvl.2
Germany

Could you by chance list all the things you already tried? Maybe also in chronological order starting with your first update attempt?
2018-2-27
Use props
samflies
lvl.1
New Zealand

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-2-27 14:53
Don't they offer you an RMA with shipping label?

No Sir - but I did say that I wasn't keen to send it back and would rather try to fix it, as I'm not keen to be without my new toy for several weeks. They only recommended that I add an SD card, which didnt help.
2018-2-27
Use props
samflies
lvl.1
New Zealand

achim1989 Posted at 2018-2-27 14:58
Could you by chance list all the things you already tried? Maybe also in chronological order starting with your first update attempt?

Absolutely - thanks you for your help! This is in order

**Installed Go4 App on Samsung S7 and ran firmware update when prompted on startup. Stalled at 83
At this stage I was able to skip the firmware update and on two occasions it let me get the aircraft airborn in my living room for a few seconds. I was able to navigate the camera view etc
**Restarted the aircraft about 20 times with the same result. 83% and stalled
**Installed Assistant 2 on a Macbook Pro and it recognized the aircraft and I started the latest 0200 update, it stalled on 76% complete every time.
** Connected the RC to Assistant 2 and successfully updated to 0100
** Installed Assistant 2 on a Window 10 machine and it recognized the aircraft and I started the latest 0200 update, it stalled on 76% complete every time. Of note - Windows 10 would NOT recognize the RC
** Using Assistant 2 on the Macbook I restored the factory settings of the Aircraft and then tried to run the 0200 firmware update again. Same result. Difference this time is that now the go4 will not start the firmware update and errors out saying its not connected to the aircraft (despite green lights flashing on RC and Aircraft and being able to enter camera view) - Also I can no longer launch the aircraft as it now says it must be updated first.
** Installed a micro SD card - Sandisk Extreme 64GB. This was recommended by DJI support on chat. No change. It did seems to error out a bit quicker after this, instead of hanging on the 76% screen for ages. It errored out and did display a 100% graphic. I'll upload the screen cap I took when I get home.

So I'm at a stand still now - and DJI support still has not replied to my ticket, except for the initially contact 2 days ago where they asked for my details, proof of purchase, serial number etc.

Thanks heaps for the question, and many thanks for looking at my issue. Really appreciate all the help from everyone!
2018-2-27
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

samflies Posted at 2018-2-27 20:13
No Sir - but I did say that I wasn't keen to send it back and would rather try to fix it, as I'm not keen to be without my new toy for several weeks. They only recommended that I add an SD card, which didnt help.

I understand where you're coming from, it's just like for me with DJI products they're so technologically advanced that fixing my computer is one thing, but assuring my safe flying is another.
2018-2-28
Use props
achim1989
lvl.2
Germany

samflies Posted at 2018-2-27 20:25
Absolutely - thanks you for your help! This is in order

**Installed Go4 App on Samsung S7 and ran firmware update when prompted on startup. Stalled at 83

Its just a hunch but have you tried to run the update
- with a different battery in the Mavic Air?
- over the DJI Go App after updating your RC?

Also, as far I'v seen the DJI Assistant allows to export a set of Logfile types from the aircraft. And as I understand these logs are created as soon as the aircraft is powered. It might help if you could export all the log file types that correspond to such a failed update process and post them here on the forum
2018-2-28
Use props
fansc456fd18
lvl.1
Flight distance : 57067 ft
Hong Kong

Are you using the USB  Type-C cable come with the Mavic AIR ?
It seems DJI Assistant doesn't like most of my 3rd party USB Type-C cables.
2018-2-28
Use props
samflies
lvl.1
New Zealand

Hi Folks - it will have to remain a mystery - after trying everyone's helpful ideas I still wasn't getting any luck. I rang DJI support and they recommend getting a replacement. I took everything back to the dealer and they swapped it for a new one without question - awesome! While I was there I decided to upgrade the replacement to the Fly more combo - I'm sure my wife will understand right?
Thanks again everyone for their help.
Cheers
2018-2-28
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

samflies Posted at 2018-2-28 17:59
Hi Folks - it will have to remain a mystery - after trying everyone's helpful ideas I still wasn't getting any luck. I rang DJI support and they recommend getting a replacement. I took everything back to the dealer and they swapped it for a new one without question - awesome! While I was there I decided to upgrade the replacement to the Fly more combo - I'm sure my wife will understand right?
Cheers

Glad to hear everything worked out for you. Best of luck flying the new Mavic Air.
2018-2-28
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Hi Folks - it will have to remain a mystery - after trying everyone's helpful ideas I still wasn't getting any luck. I rang DJI support and they recommend getting a replacement. I took everything back to the dealer and they swapped it for a new one without question - awesome! While I was there I decided to upgrade the replacement to the Fly more combo - I'm sure my wife will understand right?
Cheers

I was just going to suggest the return to the seller, This is why I always buy from Best Buy here in the states, they have a 14 day no questions asked exchange policy for all items that require an activation which is plenty of time to ensure the drone is not DOA or defective. I Never want to buy direct from DJI for this reason. If it happens again then I would look closely at your Wifi / Lan situation. let us know how you make out.
2018-2-28
Use props
achim1989
lvl.2
Germany

Hi Folks - it will have to remain a mystery - after trying everyone's helpful ideas I still wasn't getting any luck. I rang DJI support and they recommend getting a replacement. I took everything back to the dealer and they swapped it for a new one without question - awesome! While I was there I decided to upgrade the replacement to the Fly more combo - I'm sure my wife will understand right?
Cheers

Probably the most sensible solution. And the fly more combo is always a good idea
2018-2-28
Use props
samflies
lvl.1
New Zealand

Many thanks to everyone for the help. The replacement drone firmware updated perfectly first time and I managed a short flight after work. What awesome fun! Now to start planning some missions. Onwards and upwards - thanks all.
2018-3-1
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

samflies Posted at 2018-3-1 12:00
Many thanks to everyone for the help. The replacement drone firmware updated perfectly first time and I managed a short flight after work. What awesome fun! Now to start planning some missions. Onwards and upwards - thanks all.

Glad that you solve the problem. The situation was forwarded. Thanks for your update.
2018-3-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules