Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans515ed8dd
lvl.2
Flight distance : 6811 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Guys

This is my first post, unfortuately for me it is a disaster post.
Flew my Spark yesterday for only the second time, and had a major crash. Camera and gimbal both broken, one arm totally broken off, just hanging on by wires, plus the plastic surrounding the rotor is cracked and missing.
I am not new to flying drones, and used to regularly fly a Phantom 4 Pro. Anyway, i fell on hard times and had to sell the P4, and i replaced it with a Spark, purely because of cost. Even then, i had to buy it using credit facilities, and havent even finished paying for it yet! This is why i am so gutted.
So, when i flew it yesterday, it was really cold. I got a cold battery warning, but then it went  and i didnt get another one. I guess the battery run out quicker than normal due to the cold. I started the drone, waited for a home point and started to fly. Anyway like i say barttery was running lower than normal, and the drone initiated a RTH. I have my RTH set to 50M as i live in the sticks, and have pylons and such, which may cause obstruction. The drone went to 50M, then to the homepoint, but when trying to land came down in a bunch of trees!! Definitely not my recorded homepoint, as i wouldnt have been able to take off.
I just need to know, if you guys think it may be repairable, or if i can claim from DJI for such an incident. Failing that, if one of you would like to buy it for spares repair.
Its a flymore combo with 3 batteries, and 3 Polar Pro filters, a PL an ND8 and an ND16. IMG_2938.JPG IMG_2937.JPG IMG_2935.JPG IMG_2936.JPG
2018-2-25
Use props
SkyBug
lvl.4
Flight distance : 487566 ft
United States

This is always sad to see. Get a case started and let them quote a repair. My guess is 225 usd to dji and they’ll send you a refurbished unit. I’ve been there...
2018-2-25
Use props
fans515ed8dd
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SkyBug Posted at 2018-2-25 07:04
This is always sad to see. Get a case started and let them quote a repair. My guess is 225 usd to dji and they’ll send you a refurbished unit. I’ve been there...

Hi Skybug,

Thanks for reply.
How do i go about starting a case with DJI??
2018-2-25
Use props
SkyBug
lvl.4
United States

Log in to the go4  app and go to the support section. Then go to the after-support. It’s fairly easy. Hope this helps
2018-2-25
Use props
dji TO88
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4678 ft

Canada

Crap! that's too bad but it's worth getting fixed.
2018-2-25
Use props
fans515ed8dd
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SkyBug Posted at 2018-2-25 07:29
Log in to the go4  app and go to the support section. Then go to the after-support. It’s fairly easy. Hope this helps

Brilliant, thanks Skybug
2018-2-25
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

fans515ed8dd Posted at 2018-2-25 07:22
Hi Skybug,

Thanks for reply.

Very sad pictures, I feel with you! You can also open a support case on the DJI website: https://www.dji.com/support
And if you would like us to have a look at your flightrecord you may upload it to this site http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ and share the link with us. The flightrecord is on your mobile device in a DJI subfolder named "flightrecord".
2018-2-25
Use props
fans515ed8dd
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-2-25 07:52
Very sad pictures, I feel with you! You can also open a support case on the DJI website: https://www.dji.com/support
And if you would like us to have a look at your flightrecord you may upload it to this site http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/ and share the link with us. The flightrecord is on your mobile device in a DJI subfolder named "flightrecord".

Thank you Wachtberger
2018-2-25
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very sorry to see this - hope you get it repaired soon.
2018-2-25
Use props
fans515ed8dd
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A CW Posted at 2018-2-25 09:25
Very sorry to see this - hope you get it repaired soon.

Thank you A CW
2018-2-25
Use props
S.J
Second Officer
Flight distance : 322454 ft
Japan

Sad to see such a heavily torn housing !!   I think you can escape a major bill if it is only the housing that has to be replaced. Sometimes the gimbal connector cable gets damaged in such crashes. If that is ok, then you need only a housing which cost 30 to 35$ . Give it to an electronic or mobile workshop to assemble inside the new housing if DJI local dealers charge you too much.
2018-2-25
Use props
fans515ed8dd
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

S.J Posted at 2018-2-25 10:05
Sad to see such a heavily torn housing !!   I think you can escape a major bill if it is only the housing that has to be replaced. Sometimes the gimbal connector cable gets damaged in such crashes. If that is ok, then you need only a housing which cost 30 to 35$ . Give it to an electronic or mobile workshop to assemble inside the new housing if DJI local dealers charge you too much.

Thanks S.J. Unfortunately gimbal cable is damaged/split, and also the gimbal mount and camera are broken. I'm not sure if i am covered by DJI, as like i said, the Spark tried to land straight on top of a group of trees, this was not where the home point was set according to the app. If it was i would not have been able to take off in the first place. I tried to do as Wachtberger suggested, and open a case on the DJI support site, but it will not let me submit my location. Every time i hit submit, and get a little no entry icon pop up.
2018-2-25
Use props
drewhoover
lvl.4
Flight distance : 323455 ft
United States

My goodness you must have had to hit a brick wall in Sport Mode in order to crack an arm.... That isn't something I would have expected from descending into some trees.
2018-2-25
Use props
fans515ed8dd
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

drewhoover Posted at 2018-2-25 11:21
My goodness you must have had to hit a brick wall in Sport Mode in order to crack an arm.... That isn't something I would have expected from descending into some trees.

Drewhoover, it hit tall trees when descending which put it into a spin then fell at least 25M on to a concrete path!!!
2018-2-25
Use props
sidtx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 266729 ft
United States

Did you get DJI Care Refresh with your combo?  Or add it after the purchase?

If so,  you can get your Spark replaced for $49 (I think).

Sid
2018-2-25
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Do you have video of the crash?
2018-2-25
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

We are sorry for the crash accident, if the drone is still in warranty period, please contact our support team to start a case and send it in for data analysis, we will provide warranty service if the accident was caused by product itself after data analysis. Good luck to you.
2018-2-25
Use props
fans515ed8dd
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Guys,

I have done as DJI Mindy has requested, and started a case. It wasn't easy as none of the pages work correctly?? It wont let you submit etc. But got there in the end. I still believe this was not my fault. If the drone had of returned to the correct home point it would not have collided with trees.
Thanks for everyone's help, it is most appreciated. Like i said i haven't even finished paying for it yet!
2018-2-26
Use props
drewhoover
lvl.4
Flight distance : 323455 ft
United States

fans515ed8dd Posted at 2018-2-25 11:29
Drewhoover, it hit tall trees when descending which put it into a spin then fell at least 25M on to a concrete path!!!

Wow that is rough man
2018-2-26
Use props
SkyBug
lvl.4
United States

This thread will probably get moved over to service now but I’m going to tag along and see how you make out. Good luck
2018-2-26
Use props
fans515ed8dd
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SkyBug Posted at 2018-2-26 07:13
This thread will probably get moved over to service now but I’m going to tag along and see how you make out. Good luck

Thanks SkyBug
2018-2-26
Use props
fans515ed8dd
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

SkyBug Posted at 2018-2-26 07:13

I am just waiting for DJI to send me a postage label. My status in the repair centre is "To Be Received" not sure what that actually means. I guess that will change once they get it back?? Apparently they want me to send it to the Netherlands? I live in the UK, surely there must be a repair centre in the UK??
2018-2-26
Use props
m1n1s
lvl.4
Flight distance : 319915 ft
United Kingdom

no repair center in the UK , NL is there EU hub.

had to return my spark to china where I brought it from , NL is closer
2018-2-26
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

sorry for your loss.  did you get the dji care package?  if so, it is convered under accidental.  Hope you can get this resolved soon.
2018-2-26
Use props
fans515ed8dd
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

m1n1s Posted at 2018-2-26 12:51
no repair center in the UK , NL is there EU hub.

had to return my spark to china where I brought it from , NL is closer

Wow, China, yes NL is better lol
2018-2-26
Use props
fans515ed8dd
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sparky_17 Posted at 2018-2-26 13:03
sorry for your loss.  did you get the dji care package?  if so, it is convered under accidental.  Hope you can get this resolved soon.

Thank you Sparky, its already packaged and waiting to be collected tomorrow. See what happens. I'm really gutted, because like i said i haven't paid for it yet. One guy i spoke to seemed to think they would replace it due to the gps not getting the home point right?
2018-2-26
Use props
BeastMaster_101
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1082992 ft
Canada

damn thats a really hard crash. Good Luck with the support!
2018-2-26
Use props
fans515ed8dd
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

BeastMaster_101 Posted at 2018-2-26 13:49
damn thats a really hard crash. Good Luck with the support!

Thanks BeastMaster, i am not holding my breath! Definitely AC related, i am quite adept at flying drones, and know when it is my fault, and would willingly hold my hands up if i thought it was. I flew a P4 Pro for ages before i lost my job.
2018-2-27
Use props
Sparky_17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 62349 ft
Canada

fans515ed8dd Posted at 2018-2-26 13:21
Thank you Sparky, its already packaged and waiting to be collected tomorrow. See what happens. I'm really gutted, because like i said i haven't paid for it yet. One guy i spoke to seemed to think they would replace it due to the gps not getting the home point right?

Keep us posted on how it all pans out.
2018-2-27
Use props
fans515ed8dd
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Sparky_17 Posted at 2018-2-27 08:03
Keep us posted on how it all pans out.

Will do Sparky, UPS were pretty good, turned up at 9 this morning, and package is on its way
2018-2-27
Use props
RobertWSimpson
Second Officer
Flight distance : 927185 ft
United States

That stinks man! I crashed mine about 2 months ago.  I was able to repair it myself.  Your damage definitely looks more substantial though.  I also flew in the cold this weekend and got the battery warning.  For me, everything behaved as normal.  Sorry you didn't get the same!!!
2018-2-27
Use props
Viking-Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2379249 ft
Spain

Ouch...these pictures hurt my eyes...I hope you can get it fixed for little money...
2018-2-27
Use props
fans515ed8dd
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

RobertWSimpson Posted at 2018-2-27 09:11
That stinks man! I crashed mine about 2 months ago.  I was able to repair it myself.  Your damage definitely looks more substantial though.  I also flew in the cold this weekend and got the battery warning.  For me, everything behaved as normal.  Sorry you didn't get the same!!!

Thanks Robert
2018-2-27
Use props
fans515ed8dd
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Viking-Pilot Posted at 2018-2-27 09:22
Ouch...these pictures hurt my eyes...I hope you can get it fixed for little money...

Thanks Viking, yes it hurt my eyes too, but i think it is going to hurt my pocket more!! I may be lucky when they read the dat files.
2018-2-27
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

How far were the trees from your home point ?   GPS is accurae, but it’s not perfect.
2018-2-27
Use props
fans515ed8dd
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Cookster670 Posted at 2018-2-27 11:38
How far were the trees from your home point ?   GPS is accurae, but it’s not perfect.

Hi Cookster,

I would say approx. 20M (65ft), i know GPS isn't 100% but that's a fair way out. Any gps drone i have flown in the past has easily managed within 10ft even if its a bit windy. Like i said where i took off and where the home point was recognised, was out in the open, or else i wouldn't have been able to take off. The trees it came down in, were dense and tall, hence, once it hit the tree on descent it still had about 25M to the ground, it actually went into a spin/wobble and catapulted it in to a concrete path!! I am hoping that DJI can check and see that the gps was not functioning properly, or for some reason it decided to try and land where it did?? My first serious crash with damage. If DJI say user error (i cant possibly see how) then i am stuffed, because i cant afford to get it repaired, and i haven't even finished paying for it.
2018-2-27
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

It doesn't hurt to get a case going with DJI to get their expert opinion.
2018-2-27
Use props
fans515ed8dd
lvl.2
  • >>>
United Kingdom

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-2-27 12:45
It doesn't hurt to get a case going with DJI to get their expert opinion.

Hi David,

That's what i thought. To be honest i've got the raging hump about it. I was just going to accept it as bad luck, but the fact i didn't do anything wrong, and now the drone is useless, made me think i need to at least see what you guys think. DJI Mindy recommended i send it in, so i did. Its on its way, and due in the Netherlands Thursday. I'll update with the progress and outcome. Mainly because it may help someone else.
2018-2-27
Use props
davidmartingraf
First Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans515ed8dd Posted at 2018-2-27 12:52
Hi David,

That's what i thought. To be honest i've got the raging hump about it. I was just going to accept it as bad luck, but the fact i didn't do anything wrong, and now the drone is useless, made me think i need to at least see what you guys think. DJI Mindy recommended i send it in, so i did. Its on its way, and due in the Netherlands Thursday. I'll update with the progress and outcome. Mainly because it may help someone else.

Yes the feedback is always a good resource for everyone who has a crash on how to go through the proper protocol. If and when, thank you.
2018-2-27
Use props
Cookster670
Second Officer
Australia

fans515ed8dd Posted at 2018-2-27 12:33
Hi Cookster,

I would say approx. 20M (65ft), i know GPS isn't 100% but that's a fair way out. Any gps drone i have flown in the past has easily managed within 10ft even if its a bit windy. Like i said where i took off and where the home point was recognised, was out in the open, or else i wouldn't have been able to take off. The trees it came down in, were dense and tall, hence, once it hit the tree on descent it still had about 25M to the ground, it actually went into a spin/wobble and catapulted it in to a concrete path!! I am hoping that DJI can check and see that the gps was not functioning properly, or for some reason it decided to try and land where it did?? My first serious crash with damage. If DJI say user error (i cant possibly see how) then i am stuffed, because i cant afford to get it repaired, and i haven't even finished paying for it.

Fair enough.   Agree.  20M is a long way out.   I would say in my experience, about 5M..generally less.   Having said that i almost never use RTH.   I tend to cancel RTH if it auto initiates and fly back in sports mode to get it back quickly.   That doesn’t help you now.

Sorry for your loss mate....really sucks.   These things are tough, and are smart..but then go wrong, they go spectacularly wrong.
2018-2-27
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules