123Next >
10954 84 2018-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tadango
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232359 ft
Netherlands

I would like to see a noise reduction option, from none, low to high. Then the user can select what he wants.
2018-2-26
Use props
Parisi2274
lvl.4
Flight distance : 211043 ft
United States

I mean I take most of my pics in HDR mode and I think they look fantastic.... Have you tried that yet?
2018-2-26
Use props
pawel_g
lvl.3
Flight distance : 509268 ft
Poland

I would highly recommend using DNG or JPG+DNG option. It is so much more information in RAW than in JPG. JPG is simply a software interpretation of what sensor captured. If you process RAW(DNG) then it's your interpretation. I'm really very happy with quality Mavic Air gives in DNG (I've never tried JPG, so have no opinion on that).

Here's are some of my first examples: http://pawel.online/galleries/pierwsze-loty-mavic-air/

Br, Pawel.
2018-2-26
Use props
Just For Fun
lvl.2
Flight distance : 337779 ft
United States

I have been having similar issues with Jpeg also. But my mac will not open up the raw files from the air. Even after trying to use adobe to convert. Video is great though. Hopefully with more use ill figure it out.
2018-2-26
Use props
Just For Fun
lvl.2
United States

I reset my camera settings and refreshed firmware. Not sure if today is just the perfect day but, jpeg looking better to me. I also tried an HDR.

HDR

Jpeg unedited 0 -1 +1 settings
2018-2-26
Use props
zwt100
lvl.2

United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-2-26 01:56
Hi there, could you please provide me with the original pictures from the drone, upload to Dropbox and paste the link here? BTW, please also tell me the camera settings as well. Thank you.

Please see the link below. Thanks for your help! The only thing I adjusted was the white balance to accommodate for the weather. I'm a complete novice so any help would be appreciated.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qt6hc ... C-e2GytxZIrEOa?dl=0
2018-2-26
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

zwt100 Posted at 2018-2-26 19:06
Please see the link below. Thanks for your help! The only thing I adjusted was the white balance to accommodate for the weather. I'm a complete novice so any help would be appreciated.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qt6hc2d3v1u3b7e/AABIU7YMEO5C-e2GytxZIrEOa?dl=0

Thank you for your info, I would like to have our engineers to confirm. I will come back to you if I hear anything from them. Thank you for your patience.
2018-2-27
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

pawel_g Posted at 2018-2-26 09:26
I would highly recommend using DNG or JPG+DNG option. It is so much more information in RAW than in JPG. JPG is simply a software interpretation of what sensor captured. If you process RAW(DNG) then it's your interpretation. I'm really very happy with quality Mavic Air gives in DNG (I've never tried JPG, so have no opinion on that).

Here's are some of my first examples: http://pawel.online/galleries/pierwsze-loty-mavic-air/

That's a great collection of pictures, thank you!
2018-2-27
Use props
0Kajuna0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 267126 ft
Spain

Tadango Posted at 2018-2-26 06:28
I would like to see a noise reduction option, from none, low to high. Then the user can select what he wants.

We've veen requesting that for ages. We have the opposite problem on the Mavic Pro. Noise reduction can't be turned off without increasing digital sharpness:

https://forum.dji.com/thread-135441-1-1.html
2018-2-27
Use props
risbac
lvl.1
Flight distance : 25545 ft
France

Looking at those photos, the JPG engine of the Spark is a bit too strong on noise reduction, there is no noise anymore, but also no details anymore ! The noise on the spark is surely as strong, the sensor can't be that much better. So it's really the JPG processing that makes such a difference.

The AIr JPG engine is not doing a good job. It's looking like a poor noise reduction, leaving plenty of artificats. The Spark result is better, even if it's too processed. I really think DJI can improve it. Other solution is to start from the DNG, but most people won't do that. So it's really in the hand of DJI to make the JPG looks ok on the Air, they can surely achieve better.
2018-2-27
Use props
Tadango
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232359 ft
United Kingdom

For the stiched spheres the DNG's are hardly an option (untill i find a good tool ) but i wonder if the compression is also different for the video?
2018-2-27
Use props
MennoH
lvl.3
Flight distance : 75118 ft
Netherlands

People, seems like my new Mavic Air has some distortion. what do you think? my roof gutter is straight in real life... :-)

this was a raw file, imported by photo app on MacOS and saved as Jpeg. raw and jpeg has same issues.
2018-2-27
Use props
MennoH
lvl.3
Netherlands

if you check the horizon on this picture you can also notice this is not "straight" as it should be.

sharpness is +1 and pictures are taken with HDR ON.
2018-2-27
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

What time of the day did you take these photos?
2018-2-27
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-2-26 03:23
Wow  
These are nice.
What are your sharpness etc. settings?

I agree with you they are very nice.
2018-2-27
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

MennoH Posted at 2018-2-27 08:30
People, seems like my new Mavic Air has some distortion. what do you think? my roof gutter is straight in real life... :-)[view_image]

this was a raw file, imported by photo app on MacOS and saved as Jpeg. raw and jpeg has same issues.

Rolling shutter effect?
2018-2-27
Use props
ulfw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 281381 ft
Netherlands

I so agree. I regret dearly that I sold my Spark (and before the heavier bigger Mavic Pro). The Mavic took so so pictures but the Spark (while taking bad video) took wonderful pictures. Especially panoramas were colourful, sharp, a real delight.

This Mavic Air is a disaster. Even with lowest ISO I have seen noise that I haven't seen since the days of my 2MP Canon back in 2001. It's bad no matter what settings I try. DNG barely improves things and HDR barely either. It's like the lens is misaligned as hell or made out of the cheapest plastic elements mankind can find. It's blurry, fuzzy spots all over and distorted. Even a 45MP Panorama scaled down in Photoshop to a 12MP image is less sharp than a Spark direct 12MP image was.

And don't even get me started about the lack of colours or the completely lacking dynamic range.

2018-2-27
Use props
zwt100
lvl.2

United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-2-27 04:20
Thank you for your info, I would like to have our engineers to confirm. I will come back to you if I hear anything from them. Thank you for your patience.

Thanks, I really appreciate your help! Looking forward to hearing back from you. I’d like to send this in for repairs ASAP  if there is an issue with the camera. From some of the commebts I’m reading around the various forums I’m beginning to think I may have a defective unit.
2018-2-27
Use props
LoSBoL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

People, seems like my new Mavic Air has some distortion. what do you think? my roof gutter is straight in real life... :-)[view_image]

this was a raw file, imported by photo app on MacOS and saved as Jpeg. raw and jpeg has same issues.

Here you go:  https://forum.dji.com/thread-133180-1-2.html

But don't worry, according to DJI there is nothing wrong with your drone ;)
2018-2-27
Use props
MennoH
lvl.3
Netherlands

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-2-27 09:37
Here you go:  https://forum.dji.com/thread-133180-1-2.html

But don't worry, according to DJI there is nothing wrong with your drone ;)

Hmmm.... that's not giving me a good feel at all...
2018-2-27
Use props
MennoH
lvl.3
Netherlands

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-2-27 08:36
What time of the day did you take these photos?

This was approx 16:30 today. The sun was still on the horizon, not bad light at all.

we have quite cold weather this week, will try and bring the spark + MA in the air, all settings in "auto" and will compare.
2018-2-27
Use props
MennoH
lvl.3
Netherlands

DJI can't ignore this. The MA has the same sensor as the Spark, they must tweak the profiles/software for the MA... it must be AT LEAST that image quality. (photowise that is.)
2018-2-27
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

MennoH Posted at 2018-2-27 09:46
This was approx 16:30 today. The sun was still on the horizon, not bad light at all.

we have quite cold weather this week, will try and bring the spark + MA in the air, all settings in "auto" and will compare.

Yes that would be good - compare the Spark versus Mavic Air when you have a chance - thanks!
2018-2-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-2-27 08:46
Rolling shutter effect?

Not sure if you have that in stills.
2018-2-27
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Montfrooij Posted at 2018-2-27 11:21
Not sure if you have that in stills.

Sure you do, that's where it's most noticeable.
2018-2-27
Use props
kizilok
lvl.2
Turkey

ulfw Posted at 2018-2-27 08:47
I so agree. I regret dearly that I sold my Spark (and before the heavier bigger Mavic Pro). The Mavic took so so pictures but the Spark (while taking bad video) took wonderful pictures. Especially panoramas were colourful, sharp, a real delight.

This Mavic Air is a disaster. Even with lowest ISO I have seen noise that I haven't seen since the days of my 2MP Canon back in 2001. It's bad no matter what settings I try. DNG barely improves things and HDR barely either. It's like the lens is misaligned as hell or made out of the cheapest plastic elements mankind can find. It's blurry, fuzzy spots all over and distorted. Even a 45MP Panorama scaled down in Photoshop to a 12MP image is less sharp than a Spark direct 12MP image was.

Exactly right. i regret to sold spark and bought air. Maybe 10-15 years ago i took like this noisy photo
1- jpeg image quality spark much better (terrible noise)
2- Spark can charge 3 batteries at same time in 45 min. But air 2,5-3 hours for 3 batteries
3- When RC connect to phone RC begin to charge phone you cant stop it. So RC battery finish quickly
2018-2-27
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-2-27 13:22
Sure you do, that's where it's most noticeable.

So that would mean the camera is in fact shaking and causing for distorted images.
That is an interesting theory.
2018-2-27
Use props
Just For Fun
lvl.2
United States

kizilok Posted at 2018-2-27 13:39
Exactly right. i regret to sold spark and bought air. Maybe 10-15 years ago i took like this noisy photo
1- jpeg image quality spark much better (terrible noise)
2- Spark can charge 3 batteries at same time in 45 min. But air 2,5-3 hours for 3 batteries

I plug my phone into the bottom usb not as clean of a look but saves some battery. Even then it only lasts about 4 to 5 batteries.
HDR is a fun thing to edit this was with HDR I'm a noob though.
2018-2-27
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

MennoH Posted at 2018-2-27 08:33
if you check the horizon on this picture you can also notice this is not "straight" as it should be.

sharpness is +1 and pictures are taken with HDR ON.

The AC's camera is a 24mm equivalent, so w/o correction you should expect some visual field distortion.
2018-2-27
Use props
kizilok
lvl.2
Turkey

risbac Posted at 2018-2-27 06:34
Looking at those photos, the JPG engine of the Spark is a bit too strong on noise reduction, there is no noise anymore, but also no details anymore ! The noise on the spark is surely as strong, the sensor can't be that much better. So it's really the JPG processing that makes such a difference.

The AIr JPG engine is not doing a good job. It's looking like a poor noise reduction, leaving plenty of artificats. The Spark result is better, even if it's too processed. I really think DJI can improve it. Other solution is to start from the DNG, but most people won't do that. So it's really in the hand of DJI to make the JPG looks ok on the Air, they can surely achieve better.

Nobody say spark sensor is beter than air. About Jpeg image processing spark is much better. Airs jpeg pictures incredibly noisy . I havent seen like this noisy pictures since so so long time
2018-2-27
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Do you get this distortion when the motors aren't running?
2018-2-27
Use props
kizilok
lvl.2
Turkey

Friends we are talking about noisy photos not distortion. You can open new topic for this subject
2018-2-27
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

kizilok Posted at 2018-2-27 14:06
Nobody say spark sensor is beter than air. About Jpeg image processing spark is much better. Airs jpeg pictures incredibly noisy . I havent seen like this noisy pictures since so so long time

Keep in mind these are essentially flying cellphone cameras, they won't compare favorably to interchangeable lens cameras with larger sensors; my 16mp m43 Lumix from 2013 still roundly trounces the camera in my Mavic Pro -- it's not even a contest.

That said, with good light and practice, a cellphone camera can still take pleasing photos. Especially when working with RAW files in post.

2018-2-27
Use props
ulfw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 281381 ft
Turkey

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-2-27 16:02
Keep in mind these are essentially flying cellphone cameras, they won't compare favorably to interchangeable lens cameras with larger sensors; my 16mp m43 Lumix from 2013 still roundly trounces the camera in my Mavic Pro -- it's not even a contest.

That said, with good light and practice, a cellphone camera can still take pleasing photos. Especially when working with RAW files in post.

The Mavic Pro and Spark are the same size sensor 'flying cell phone cameras' and have vastly higher resolution, clarity and less noise. Something else is afoot.
2018-2-28
Use props
MennoH
lvl.3
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-2-27 14:11
Do you get this distortion when the motors aren't running?

Yes, i tried to make a picture like this from my kitchen, no motors running, just the camera... and the problem persists.
2018-2-28
Use props
MennoH
lvl.3
United States

kizilok Posted at 2018-2-27 14:14
Friends we are talking about noisy photos not distortion. You can open new topic for this subject

here's a topic on distortion: https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... id%3D534&page=2
2018-2-28
Use props
mixchief
lvl.4
Flight distance : 182057 ft
  • >>>
United States

kizilok Posted at 2018-2-25 10:43
This picture is taken by spark. Smiliar condition with up photos. There isnt any noise . Not any  processing

[view_image]

There isn't any obvious noise, but it is noisy in the dark areas just that it seems there is internal processing including denoise, if you look at the trees there is no definition, more of a clump of green rather than a leafy tree, yes it's smoother kind of like a painting which is very attractive to the eye at first but if you leave the digital medium and blow up and print the photo it will show the lack of definition and loose focus. The worst of it is that it doesn't allow you to control how much or where these corrections take place. Maybe you should go into the photo settings and see if you can unsharpen giving you a similar effect, I don't know how extensive the controls are in the Air.
2018-3-2
Use props
VegasBobNoWay
lvl.2
Flight distance : 138734 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think my Jpeg pictures are looking fine. This was shot with ISO 100

2018-3-2
Use props
zwt100
lvl.2

United States

VegasBobNoWay Posted at 2018-3-2 16:56
I think my Jpeg pictures are looking fine. This was shot with ISO 100

[view_image]

My jpegs never look this  clear. They tend to be blurry and often have an orange tint to them.  I’ve been shooting in HDR recently and have managed to make some pretty nice photos but I’m still concerned that there’s something off with my camera.
2018-3-5
Use props
charlesetischer
lvl.2

Hong Kong

Comparing JPEG DJI_0124.JPG (captured by AIR) and DJI_1016.JPG (captured by Spark), we can see these differences:
1) exposure: air is -1.3EV, which implies under-exposure
2) contrast: air is -2
3) detail & noise: air keeps more detail but noisy, spark losses many details of the tree. It's a balance between keeping detail and noise reduction.
4) AIR has better local contrast.
Contrast -2 setting and local contrast enhance processing both mean enhancing shadow by digital processing on JPEG, which would introduce noises.  Besides, we can see that AIR did much better at keeping details than Spark. We would try to find a better balance between details and noise reduction. At this case, maybe u can do post-processing on DNG file to get a better image quality. Besides,  from other images captured by AIR, we do not see so much noise as DJI_0124.JPG. Your drone seems working fine.
2018-3-12
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules