Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
P2 battery replacement
8638 10 2018-2-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Octovisuals
lvl.1

Spain

Hello, just a simple question here.

Since DJI ended manufacturing Phantom 2 intelligent batteries (just four years after they were launched...) and the aircraft apparently won't start up without a patented DJI battery, where could I find reliable replacements that work with P2?

Thanks.

2018-2-26
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

You can find them - you just have to work a little bit.  

The last one I bought lightly used on eBay which was a genuine DJI battery.  It works fine.  

Another one I bought last summer on Amazon which also works very nicely but it's no longer available.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... 1_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are plenty of aftermarkets that will work with your P2.  It doesn't require a "patented DJI battery" although I have heard there are some batteries that won't work.  I've personally have never run across one that didn't work, however.  I have run across a couple that worked but had severe problems which led to them crashing my P2.  Read the reviews.  Most of the aftermarkets won't be as good as a genuine DJI, but they will work well enough to get your AC off the ground and allow you to fly with confidence.  Do some research and buy wisely.  I see you're in Spain so it might be more of a challenge to find a good battery.  Good luck.   
2018-2-26
Use props
Octovisuals
lvl.1

Spain

Mark, thank you a lot for the reply.

Some batteries can be found, but not so easily, or they're not reliable enough...

The real problem here is it seems you can't connect an ordinary lipo battery even if you change the connectors, as the Naza on the Phantom 2 apparently is locked to genuine DJI batteries... Didn't try myself (yet), but been reading all over the Internet. It would be possible to do this after all without having to dismantle and mess a genuine DJI battery?
2018-2-26
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

I've never heard of anybody using a battery other than an intelligent lipo battery in the form of the one that comes with the AC.  
2018-2-26
Use props
Octovisuals
lvl.1

Spain

So... all Phantom 2 owners will have to throw it right to the garbage if they can't/don't want to waste so much time looking for some batteries, or messing around with some lipo cells and soldering (if that even works), when the expensive DJI batteries stop to work.

When I was going to purchase my P2, I saw that “intelligent” (AKA patented) lipo battery thing... But I hoped and thought, “Well, DJI seems to be doing very well selling those like they were free, among other products, and pricing those batteries at twice the price of a normal lipo battery, they sure have a benefit and will be making these for at least a decade... Also, I don't think they are locking the drones just to abandon the many owners if they run out of batteries”.

Boy, was I wrong!

They did just that, in spades! Wow, not even four years after, we're left with what's worth almost as little as a piece of junk... That says a lot of the brand, its corporative policies and the way its managers do things.

I'm very unhappy with DJI. As it's been proved it can't be trusted at all, I'm never ever buying another DJI product again.
2018-3-1
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Octovisuals Posted at 2018-3-1 09:55
So... all Phantom 2 owners will have to throw it right to the garbage if they can't/don't want to waste so much time looking for some batteries, or messing around with some lipo cells and soldering (if that even works), when the expensive DJI batteries stop to work.

When I was going to purchase my P2, I saw that “intelligent” (AKA patented) lipo battery thing... But I hoped and thought, “Well, DJI seems to be doing very well selling those like they were free, among other products, and pricing those batteries at twice the price of a normal lipo battery, they sure have a benefit and will be making these for at least a decade... Also, I don't think they are locking the drones just to abandon the many owners if they run out of batteries”.

Sorry for your unexpected experience. If your P2 is under warranty, I would recommend you contact our support and start a case: http://www.dji.com/support Thanks for your support.
2018-3-4
Use props
Octovisuals
lvl.1

Spain

Elektra, thank you for your reply, but don't tell me “unexpected”... DJI knew pretty well that abandoning the manufacure of P2 batteries would leave all P2 owners in a dire situation.

And I doubt my P2 is still under warranty after almost four years...

If you (DJI) really cared about your customers and had to forcefully end the manufacturing for reasons beyond your control (which I highly doubt), you would release a new firmware to release and free the P2 to the use of P2 DJI batteries exclusively. And it that isn't possible, helping the owners to change the IMU or whatever the problem is with free replacements, or at least good discounts...

But you won't do that because you want to sell the newer versions and make all the profit...

Very bad, DJI. I'm a professional customer and I can't trust you. This is not how you do things if you want to have a long and bright future. You keep being the leader in the drone market, but the drones are just starting now and there's so much we can't even imagine in the near future, so that may not be like that forever.
2018-3-5
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

Here is your dream solution.  I have bought from this guy before.  He has legit DJI stuff at bargain basement prices.  He obviously have some kind of connection with DJI re outdated DJI stuff.  Buy this battery - pay with paypal.  Do it today.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM ... :g:tbkAAOSwOGZajEBQ
2018-3-6
Use props
Octovisuals
lvl.1

Spain

Thank you, Mark the Droner, I will definitely consider it, it looks good!

But I won't call it my dream solution. That would be just using regular 3S lipo batteries, which I can charge faster than DJI's (where every one need one charger for itself), and are less expensive overall.

I'm hoping I won't have to end putting my Phantom 2 + H3-3D + iOSD mini in the garbage bin...
2018-3-7
Use props
Homer Simpson
Second Officer

Canada

Mark The Droner Posted at 2018-2-26 10:09
I've never heard of anybody using a battery other than an intelligent lipo battery in the form of the one that comes with the AC.

There are several in our club that have modified the battery to LiPo store bought. All you have to remember is keep the flight time down to 15 minutes. They also keep the connector, and the balance connector attached as they use the standard LiPo charger for AC batteries. Also, lots of videos on YouTube too.
2018-3-10
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
United States

I wanted to comment on the battery I mentioned in Post #8.  I offered $70 on Thursday, he accepted my offer within ten minutes, and I received the battery Saturday, two days later, via USPS First Class.  

I was concerned when I first took it out of the box.  I tested the power and it had only one lamp - blinking - which tells me it has 12% or less power which means it's close to being dead.  I charged it immediately and it charged right up in about an hour and a half.  

I checked it out with DJI P2 Assistant.  It shows 0 discharges, full capacity at 5385 mAh (which is really good, design is only 5200 mAh) and the cells were amazingly balanced - within 2 mAh highest and lowest:  1796, 1795, 1794.

The batteries have a note from DJI that says:  "IMPORTANT:  (This battery) includes new upgraded cells."  and to update the Phantom center board FW to at least 1.0.2.7.  Mine is 1.0.2.10 and it hasn't been updated since 2015 at least.  I'm not sure if this message is a month old or 3 years old.  I don't remember seeing it before.  

The seller started with 18 of these.  He has only five left.  

His seller rating is 100%.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM ... :g:tbkAAOSwOGZajEBQ

2018-3-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules