Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Charging Batteries out in the nowhere - Solutions?
12Next >
2073 46 2018-2-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Silverhammer92
lvl.4
Flight distance : 15869 ft
Switzerland

Hello Folks

This summer I'll be on a camping tour (car and tend) in Iceland.
Iceland is a country with amazing landscape, so no wonder I need to shoot a lot with my mavic. This leads to a big problelm: How do I charge my batteries?

I have the fly-more package: 3 Batteries, Charging Hub and Car-Charger. The chargers I have are not a good solution because the longer car-rides we have are about 2 hours - so I can't charge all the batteries while driving around - and I really don't want to keep the motor running for 4+ hours at the place we camp just to charging my batteries.

So I need a good solution for charging my batteries out in the nowhere.

What I have tought about so far:
  • A multiple-Charger like the one linked at the end of the post. The problem: It would have be with a car-charging-port - I did not find such a thing yet.
  • A power-generator (but I would rather not buy a generator - is the same as let the car run at the camping place... poor nature...

What other solutions do exist? What experiences did you make with this?

Regards
Silver

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ ... 7D%7Bifdbm
2018-2-26
Use props
LoSBoL
First Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

I pulled a thick wire from the car and motorbike battery and put a car charging port on it, that way I still have 12v when the engine isn't running. Iceland sounds cold though, so the car battery does need to be of good health and not to small in performance.

Also car's in artic cold area's are sometimes fitted with 2 batteries, one to preheat the engine so it starts and doesn't break down. Maybe something to look into?
2018-2-26
Use props
Silverhammer92
lvl.4
Switzerland

Thanks for that but I'll use a renatal car, so I don't feel like risking beeing left with no battery...
I need another solution :S
2018-2-26
Use props
rantanlan
First Officer
Flight distance : 69698 ft
Germany

There are combined batterie car jumper kits available. I guess you could use one of these so you don't kill your car battery and might be stranded. But I'm not 100% sure if you are able to recharge these while driving or you need a power outlet... just something to start your research with ;)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016QR ... 36011_t4_B00IJB51WY
2018-2-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Look into power banks too
2018-2-26
Use props
Silverhammer92
lvl.4
Switzerland

A CW Posted at 2018-2-26 06:15
Look into power banks too

Thanks but that would mean more batteries to keep charged... And for the flight I might not be allowed to bring too many batteries with me...
2018-2-26
Use props
Silverhammer92
lvl.4
Switzerland

rantanlan Posted at 2018-2-26 06:09
There are combined batterie car jumper kits available. I guess you could use one of these so you don't kill your car battery and might be stranded. But I'm not 100% sure if you are able to recharge these while driving or you need a power outlet... just something to start your research with ;)

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016QR ... 36011_t4_B00IJB51WY

That's the kind of ideas I'm looking for. :-)
I might have some trouble to bring this on a plane tho.... There must be something better...
2018-2-26
Use props
LoSBoL
First Officer
Netherlands

Silverhammer92 Posted at 2018-2-26 06:02
Thanks for that but I'll use a renatal car, so I don't feel like risking beeing left with no battery...
I need another solution :S

It could still be worth the shot getting some info from the rental company. There is a big chance you won't be the first and you might not be needing to reinvent a wheel.

Who knows, they might even have those car jumpers like rantanlan mentioned for rent.
2018-2-26
Use props
Silverhammer92
lvl.4
Switzerland

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-2-26 06:58
It could still be worth the shot getting some info from the rental company. There is a big chance you won't be the first and you might not be needing to reinvent a wheel.

Who knows, they might even have those car jumpers like rantanlan mentioned for rent.

I'll definitely check when I decide what car I rent (and how much I can spend on this...)
Still: Let's see if somebody finds another solution...

Something that pops into my mind would be solar-charging (we will have about 18-20 hours of sunlight).
Can this even put out enough power for the mavic and controller batteries?
2018-2-26
Use props
rantanlan
First Officer
Flight distance : 69698 ft
Germany

If you can fit a big enough solar panel in your luggage, why not there are also several available for outdoor usage. But since you won't be the only on in iceland who is camping I guess the have some nice outdoor shops there where you might be able to rent a solution batterie/solar package. Taking it on a plane might be a problem, since you need to check batteries into the boarding luggage as far as i know.
2018-2-26
Use props
Ahmed Hussain
Captain
Flight distance : 1339761 ft
  • >>>
Kuwait

I have a portable solar energy system, someone brought it for me from china (lol dji!) it's about 30 cm X 30 cm with a small battery (1 kg). The outlet can provide energy for 4 LED lamps for 5 hours.
2018-2-26
Use props
LoSBoL
First Officer
Netherlands

Silverhammer92 Posted at 2018-2-26 07:03
I'll definitely check when I decide what car I rent (and how much I can spend on this...)
Still: Let's see if somebody finds another solution...

18-20 hours sunlight, that's going to be a surrealistic experience from within a tent
2018-2-26
Use props
eddieNoob
Second Officer
Puerto Rico

Be advised that with some car chargers, the chargers won't charge the batteries with only 12 volts input (ie, engine not running). You often need up to 14.40 volts out from the battery (engine running) for the charger to put out to the battery.
2018-2-26
Use props
Landbo
First Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

You need 3 Car Charger and a 12 volt car distributor as this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/cigaret ... olt+car+distributor

Regards Leif.
2018-2-26
Use props
Silverhammer92
lvl.4
Switzerland

Landbo Posted at 2018-2-26 09:09
You need 3 Car Charger and a 12 volt car distributor as this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/cigarette-lighter-distributor-outlet-camera/dp/B004GUI8VI/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1519664797&sr=8-17&keywords=12+volt+car+distributor

Then I would have to combine this with 3 mavic car chargers... right? Might get pretty expensive.

Is This device you sugested strong enough for charging 3 Batteries and 1 Controller at the same time (becuase of smart-batteries having a minimum requirement). How long would it take to charge all 4 batteries from 0 to 100%?
2018-2-27
Use props
Mavdude
Second Officer
Australia

You need a cigarette lighter plug adaptor. Connect directly to the car battery. Then you don't need the ignition on.
Each battery will take about 5Ah of the car battery capacity. Typical car batteries hold about 70Ah capacity(confirm on the car you hire) Get a manual car so it can be push started if your battery does get too low! Park on a hill..
A typical alternator will charge at about 60A. So after you have charged your batteries, run the engine for about 10-15 minutes and the car battery should be full again.
2018-2-27
Use props
Landbo
First Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Silverhammer92 Posted at 2018-2-27 02:31
Then I would have to combine this with 3 mavic car chargers... right? Might get pretty expensive.

Is This device you sugested strong enough for charging 3 Batteries and 1 Controller at the same time (becuase of smart-batteries having a minimum requirement). How long would it take to charge all 4 batteries from 0 to 100%?

Yes you need one car changer for each battery. Since you already have one, you only have to buy two + the 12 volt car distributor. The price ? I do not think you can do it cheaper in another way.

How long it takes to charge all 3 batteries ?  I do not know when I have no car changer myself. But a guess will be the same time it will take and charge the batteries with a 230 volt charger. Here you have the opportunity to charge all three batteries at the same time as well as your Radio Controller.

Regards Leif.
2018-2-27
Use props
Silverhammer92
lvl.4
Switzerland

Mavdude Posted at 2018-2-27 03:26
You need a cigarette lighter plug adaptor. Connect directly to the car battery. Then you don't need the ignition on.
Each battery will take about 5Ah of the car battery capacity. Typical car batteries hold about 70Ah capacity(confirm on the car you hire) Get a manual car so it can be push started if your battery does get too low! Park on a hill..
A typical alternator will charge at about 60A. So after you have charged your batteries, run the engine for about 10-15 minutes and the car battery should be full again.

Thanks, this seems like a good idea :-)

So i should be able to combine those 3 products:

1: Car-Battery to cigarette
amazon.de
New Car Akku Terminal Wechselrahmen Zigarettenanzünder Steckdose Adapter 12 V Camping
by: Lotus Power

2: cigarette to normal plug
amazon.de
Foval Spannungswandler DC 12V auf AC 230V 300W inverter,wechselrichter Kfz Zigarettenanzünder Stecker, EU-Steckerdose,aufladen iPad laptop kamera Kindle die meisten elektronische Geräte
by: FOVAL

3: Plug to multiple batteries charger
aliexpress.com
5in1 Multi Battery Charging Hub Intelligent Battery Charger for RC DJI Mavic Pro

Can someone check, if those 3 products are able (combined) to output the required power for this task?

I should be able to charge my batteries (3 mavic pro, 1 remote, 2 smartphones) from 0 to 100% in about 2 hours while draining my car-battery to about 50%... right?
Then it would take about 15 min with the engine-on to recharge the car battery to 100% (even if the car does not move...) right?

If this works I would be so happy :-)

p.s. sorry, links seem not to work :S

2018-2-27
Use props
LoSBoL
First Officer
Netherlands

Silverhammer92 Posted at 2018-2-27 04:49
Thanks, this seems like a good idea :-)

So i should be able to combine those 3 products:

I thought you didn't want to get stranded ;)  pulling 50% from your car battery would ;)

If what Eddienoob says is true however, the DJI car charger would refrain you from pulling to much current from the car battery. Every negative has a postive. ;)

2018-2-27
Use props
Silverhammer92
lvl.4
Switzerland

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-2-27 05:38
I thought you didn't want to get stranded ;)  pulling 50% from your car battery would ;)

If what Eddienoob says is true however, the DJI car charger would refrain you from pulling to much current from the car battery. Every negative has a postive. ;)

Why would pulling 50% of the car-battery get me stranded
Or different: How much remaining battery does the car need to not strand me? ;-)
2018-2-27
Use props
LoSBoL
First Officer
Netherlands

Silverhammer92 Posted at 2018-2-27 05:46
Why would pulling 50% of the car-battery get me stranded
Or different: How much remaining battery does the car need to not strand me? ;-)

That would depend totally on the car design, the car's battery capacity is designed to work with that particulair car. So if you get a 1 litre Nissan Micra the battery is going to be abbysmall compared to a 2.5 litre diesel 4x4.  Especially in cold weather the car battery is going to need its peek power to start the engine. So if you are draining it to 50% you indeed are going to push the car of a hill because it wasn't designed to start with 50%.

The bigger the car, the better chance you have. Also Diesel cars are fitted with bigger batteries. Some cars also have redundant and batterydrain proof 12v lines, which don't need the car to be running.

I would not use a inverter, going from 12v to 220v and back to 12v will certainly drain the cars battery faster then a carcharger would.

2018-2-27
Use props
Mavic Ace
Second Officer
Flight distance : 333976 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just get an inverter. Problem solved.
2018-2-27
Use props
LoSBoL
First Officer
Netherlands

Mavic Ace Posted at 2018-2-27 06:12
Just get an inverter. Problem solved.

Indeed, you can maintain your flight while waiting for the rental company's emergency service. ;oP

Anyway, IF you intend to use an inverter and plug it to the standard cigarette lighter port, don't get an inverter exceding 100 watt, or you might be calling the firestation to put out the flaming car. ;)
2018-2-27
Use props
Mavic Ace
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

LoSBoL Posted at 2018-2-27 06:23
Indeed, you can maintain your flight while waiting for the rental company's emergency service. ;oP

Anyway, IF you intend to use an inverter and plug it to the standard cigarette lighter port, don't get an inverter exceding 100 watt, or you might be calling the firestation to put out the flaming car. ;)

An inverter charging 4 batteries at once on a 2 hour drive will work. I’ve been running my laptop and printer in my truck off of inverters for 20 years.  No fires.
2018-2-27
Use props
LoSBoL
First Officer
Netherlands

Mavic Ace Posted at 2018-2-27 06:49
An inverter charging 4 batteries at once on a 2 hour drive will work. I’ve been running my laptop and printer in my truck off of inverters for 20 years.  No fires.

So your advise would be, rent a truck ;)

I agree inverters wouldn't deplete running cars batteries, but not running could. We've been downsizing engine displacement for years here in Europe. Even big cars run turbocharged 1.2 liter engines nowadays. 36 to 50 Ampere Hour batteries are quite common over here. That doesn't leave much spare room.
Also, standard car cigarette plug rarely exceed 100 watt rated output. Utility vehicles are somewhat a different ballpark.
2018-2-27
Use props
Mavic Ace
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Get a real vehicle.  Something with at least 5.7 liters putting out 395 horsepower.
2018-2-27
Use props
Silverhammer92
lvl.4
Switzerland

So basically what you are saying here is that the only way to use this in a save way would be to have a car with a backup battery?

In this case we must find another way to charge the batteries...
2018-2-27
Use props
LoSBoL
First Officer
Netherlands

Mavic Ace Posted at 2018-2-27 08:53
Get a real vehicle.  Something with at least 5.7 liters putting out 395 horsepower.

1 Gallon of petrol does 7.86 dollar in Iceland ;)
2018-2-27
Use props
LoSBoL
First Officer
Netherlands

Silverhammer92 Posted at 2018-2-27 08:59
So basically what you are saying here is that the only way to use this in a save way would be to have a car with a backup battery?

In this case we must find another way to charge the batteries...

A running car wouldn't get you in trouble. But its likely that Icelandian cars are adepted to the cold environment. Contacting the rental car service and they can probably give you more info.
2018-2-27
Use props
Theppgcowboy
lvl.4
United States

Get one of those small battery pack car jumper thingys, charge  the dji batteries using the car battery as needed, if you have problems starting the car use the small jumper. They fit in a pocket anymore. Just keep it topped off.
I do not see charging 3 dji batteries is going to drain a car battery.
2018-2-27
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

You obviously don't understand the amount of energy you are talking about.
2018-2-27
Use props
Kloo Gee
Captain
Flight distance : 16641309 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't know how expensive car batteries are in Iceland, but depending on your budget, you could always just buy another cheapo car or marine battery and combine it with battery USB dongle that Mavdude posted.  I'm guessing they would be more expensive than here in the US where you can get a 35Ah marine battery for like $65 (or 55Ah for $100).  If you threw in a cheap set of jumper cables (around $10 here in US), I'm guessing you could recharge it pretty quickly one time leaving the car running for a bit extra.  You wouldn't have to do that every day as I'm sure a 35Ah battery should charge quite a few drone batteries.
2018-2-27
Use props
dji TO88
Captain
Flight distance : 4678 ft

Canada

Hand crank radio with a charger would work it'll also keep you warm while you charge your drone might take a few hours..
2018-2-27
Use props
Theppgcowboy
lvl.4
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-2-27 20:07
You obviously don't understand the amount of energy you are talking about.

Ever see one of these? Small and amazing . The work too.

https://www.amazon.com/Powerall- ... Powerall+car+jumper
2018-2-27
Use props
Mavdude
Second Officer
Australia

Err, charging 3 mavic batteries using 5Ah each is 15Ah, not 50Ah! This is also allowing for the effieiency of the charger as there will be losses, but probably not this much.
Using an inverter to then run the 240v(or whatever voltage you run on)charger is even more in-efficient than running the 12v charger directly from the battery.
If you are worried, start the car and run for a few minutes several times during the charging period.
2018-2-27
Use props
LoSBoL
First Officer
Netherlands

Kloo Gee Posted at 2018-2-27 20:17
I don't know how expensive car batteries are in Iceland, but depending on your budget, you could always just buy another cheapo car or marine battery and combine it with battery USB dongle that Mavdude posted.  I'm guessing they would be more expensive than here in the US where you can get a 35Ah marine battery for like $65 (or 55Ah for $100).  If you threw in a cheap set of jumper cables (around $10 here in US), I'm guessing you could recharge it pretty quickly one time leaving the car running for a bit extra.  You wouldn't have to do that every day as I'm sure a 35Ah battery should charge quite a few drone batteries.

Smart thinking, this indeed is the cheapest way to get you going, just buy a car battery, it doesn't have to be big or expensive.
2018-2-27
Use props
Silverhammer92
lvl.4
Switzerland

How shall i keep the other batter charged.. Its basically just a big powerbank... Or is there any way I can charge this second battery whole driving (without replacing the original battery of corse...)
2018-2-28
Use props
High View
lvl.4
Flight distance : 122113 ft
United States

Silverhammer92 Posted at 2018-2-28 07:16
How shall i keep the other batter charged.. Its basically just a big powerbank... Or is there any way I can charge this second battery whole driving (without replacing the original battery of corse...)

Yes. Hook the batteries up in parallel. When the alternator is running both will be charged.

Run a number 12 or heavier wire from the plus terminal of car battery to plus terminal of the backup battery.  Then ground the Negative  terminal;  or, run a wire of same size from negative to negative.  Put a switch to disconnect the backup battery when engine is not running.
2018-2-28
Use props
LoSBoL
First Officer
Netherlands

See High View's post  

If you really don't want to meddle with the rental car you could Always just buy a 20 euro 220v/110v fast carbattery charger, and have it fully charged in a couple of hours somewhere down the road where there is electricity. (camping? while dining, etc.)

How many chargecycles would you need? You can use a Mavic cigarette charger hooked to the car when you are travelling, and use the 'spare battery' when you are not travelling. I don't know what a 80AH car battery costs in Iceland, on the Mainland you can get one for 80 euro.   An 80 AH battery is a lot of electric charge.
2018-2-28
Use props
TeddyGon
lvl.1
Flight distance : 366949 ft
Germany

Had you seen this? Could be a good Alternative for you. This Monster is portable and also packed with every Port to use for every Usecase i think.

Cannot set the Link (every Time i get the "not allowed Message" wtf?!?) Look at Kickstarter dot Com. And then search vor "Dronemax360".... i think that could be the answer.
2018-2-28
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules