4856 11 2018-2-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Algan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116302 ft
Turkey

hi every one,

i live in Turkey and i will visit NY in June. is there anyone who can summerize me the drone law (for mavic pro) in NY. is it even legal to fly =)

thanks a lot
2018-2-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I believe all drone flights without the FAA's permission are point blank banned in NYC.
2018-2-26
Use props
Bekaru Tree
Second Officer
Flight distance : 15513100 ft
South Africa

i believe flying in NY requires special permits and the pilot must be FAA licensed. Check casey niestats videos - he now goes to barbados or other islands when he reviews drones because he got into trouble from FAA for droning without license and within NY.
2018-2-26
Use props
Algan
lvl.4
Turkey

A CW Posted at 2018-2-26 05:38
I believe all drone flights without the FAA's permission are point blank banned in NYC.

is it possible to get  FAA as a tourist?
2018-2-26
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The FAA are the federal aviation administration who control US airspace. You will need to contact them directly. I believe that even as a foreign national visiting the country on holiday you will need to register your drone with them and will need formal permission to fly in restricted areas such as NYC - for filming a Hollywood production etc! Zipping around the skyscrapers with a Mavic for fun - forget it!
2018-2-26
Use props
fans4ee4a121
lvl.3
Canada

Banned all drones
2018-2-26
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Algan, you can try to learn the drone regulations and check the flyable area on this website: https://www.dji.com/flysafe?site=brandsite&from=footer
2018-2-26
Use props
Algan
lvl.4
Turkey

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-2-26 23:30
Algan, you can try to learn the drone regulations and check the flyable area on this website: https://www.dji.com/flysafe?site=brandsite&from=footer

as the map says, i can fly in manhattan ?
2018-2-27
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have definitely seen different information about flying drones in NYC. You can not fly in Manhattan, but if you go to other boroughs and stay 5 miles from all the airports I'm not sure.

Here's an article, although it may be outdated.
https://nypost.com/2017/01/06/th ... t-getting-a-ticket/

Also, take a look at these maps. Manhattan is heavily covered, but if you zoom in there's a stretch of land between Brooklyn and Queens that seems legit. Also, Washington Heights LOOKS like it should be legal but if you google "Washington Heights Drone" you'll find an article that two men were arrested in Washington Heights for flying a drone near a police helicopter.
5mile new york.jpg
betweenbrooklynandqueens.png
washington heights.png
2018-2-27
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

The article I posted above lists 5 areas to fly your drone, but 1 of those areas is within 5 miles of an airport, so I'm not sure about Flushing Meadows-Corona Park, Queens.

The other 4 areas are out of the 5 mile radius.
Calvert Vaux Park, Brooklyn
Marine Park, Brooklyn
Forest Park, Queens
LaTourette Park, Staten Island

Still not sure about the Washington Heights area.

mapwitharrows.jpg
2018-2-27
Use props
Algan
lvl.4
Turkey

Bing Err Posted at 2018-2-27 23:04
The article I posted above lists 5 areas to fly your drone, but 1 of those areas is within 5 miles of an airport, so I'm not sure about Flushing Meadows-Corona Park, Queens.

The other 4 areas are out of the 5 mile radius.

when i look at dji map, it doesnt show those red areas. it has some but on the airports. now i see it is nearly impossible to fly =)
2018-2-27
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Algan Posted at 2018-2-27 23:16
when i look at dji map, it doesnt show those red areas. it has some but on the airports. now i see it is nearly impossible to fly =)

Yankee's Stadium is in the red zone, but very near the edge (near Washington Heights area). If you're going to a Yankee's game it might be worth traveling a bit farther out of the red zone and flying.

washington heightswitharrow.png
2018-2-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules