Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Flying below Zero
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Eric13
Captain
Flight distance : 13430925 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Hi guys,
the last two days I have been flying at temperatures below freezing, something like -5 °C.
I have these gloves that can be used with touch screens but still my fingers are hurting after a short while. It was painful.

Does anyone have a good idea how to keep the hands warm while piloting?

2018-2-26
Use props
Mark The Droner
Captain
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I don't like flying with full gloves because I want to feel the controls with my fingertips.  I like to overdress.  I wear quite a few layers including a turtle neck and a knit cap and a ball cap plus a hoodie and fingerless gloves.  It's more than you need and you'll feel hot but the heat transfers to your fingers and keeps them warm.  You can put a hot-hands in your hoodie pocket if you want and touch it occasionally while you fly, but I never need to do that.  
2018-2-26
Use props
KedDK
Captain
Flight distance : 1133038 ft
Denmark

You can get some gloves with heat elements for USB that can be powered with a power bank or similar.
If you don't like the gloves, the heat strips is easy moved to other gloves.

heated gloves

2018-2-26
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

I would recommend you fly in a warm place instead. Or heat strips might help.
2018-3-5
Use props
solentlife
Captain
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

I fly in temps down to -20C and yes - it can hurt !!

I have tip gloves as well - but its not the gloves that are problem - its the touch screens. They don't like being out in the cold. They are designed for being in the warm ....

When temp drops - I revert to using the controller buttons more than the screen ... that way I can keep my gloves on - but I too prefer to 'feel' the sticks .. being a 'normal' RC flyer as well.

Nigel
2018-3-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I wear NorthFace ETIP gloves - that way I can still use my iPhone screen whilst wearing them and still keep my hands fairly warm without exposing my finger tips.
2018-3-5
Use props
NM_Quad
Second Officer
United States

The Phantom manual, and the battery manual, states the batteries should not be used below -10C to prevent permanent damage, or above 40C to prevent fire or explosion.  I always prefer to follow the DJI guidelines -- they're there for a reason and likely the result of inhouse testing.  Personally, if it's so cold you have to wear gloves, it's probably too cold to fly, at least for the highest odds of getting your Phantom back in one piece.

2018-3-8
Use props
Bradd62
New
Canada

I fly at -10 sometimes, I set up and sit in my car to do a quick 15 min flight. I'm new and just have to practise. Lol
2018-3-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules