Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
d-Log on phantom 3 standard?
3187 27 2018-2-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kath Hirikawa
lvl.1

Palestine

hey, guyss! i recently got a p3 std to learn about drone videography.
i was wondering what is the best color setting for p3 std. is it d-log?
2018-2-26
Use props
ghutch
lvl.4
Flight distance : 187375 ft
United States

I prefer using D-Cinelike myself...
2018-2-26
Use props
Siambuddhas Group
lvl.4
Flight distance : 116926 ft
Singapore

d- log is good when import to ur PC for post-processing ........

2018-2-26
Use props
ArgenBrewer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 18638 ft
Argentina

Why do not we put the settings we normally use in the P3S and compare?
I start myself: 25 fps / shutter 50 / Pal / 1920 x 1080 / mov / Style -1 -1 -1 / Color CineLike / Anti Fliker 50 hz
I await your opinions and comments!
2018-2-27
Use props
ghutch
lvl.4
United States

NTSC / 30fps / whatever shutter I can get it down to with 8, 16 or 32 ND filter / 2.7k / mp4 / Style 0 -1 -1 / D-Cinelike
2018-2-27
Use props
Kath Hirikawa
lvl.1

United States

ghutch Posted at 2018-2-26 17:59
I prefer using D-Cinelike myself...

thanks for the reply, hehe! i see. do you color grade in post? if so, how do you do it?
2018-2-27
Use props
Kath Hirikawa
lvl.1

United States

Siambuddhas Group Posted at 2018-2-26 19:44
d- log is good when import to ur PC for post-processing ........

i am planning to do color grading in post, but i am no so good at it... any tips on color grading?  is premiere pro any good? i heard many people use davinci resolve... but i am scared to use another software!
2018-2-27
Use props
Kath Hirikawa
lvl.1

United States

ArgenBrewer Posted at 2018-2-27 11:29
Why do not we put the settings we normally use in the P3S and compare?
I start myself: 25 fps / shutter 50 / Pal / 1920 x 1080 / mov / Style -1 -1 -1 / Color CineLike / Anti Fliker 50 hz
I await your opinions and comments!

oh, another cinelike user... have you tried using d-log? if so, what were the reason why you changed to different color setting(cinelike)? and do you shoot in 1080p? or shoot in 2.7k then downscale to 1080p?
2018-2-27
Use props
Kath Hirikawa
lvl.1

United States

i hope i am not asking too much from you guys... but would it be possible for you to post examples? like video footages or still shots? i just want to learn and know more about the drone from you guys.
2018-2-27
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

You should probably do a search on Youtube, tons of videos on there...
2018-2-27
Use props
ghutch
lvl.4
United States

Kath Hirikawa Posted at 2018-2-27 12:50
i am planning to do color grading in post, but i am no so good at it...  any tips on color grading?  is premiere pro any good? i heard many people use davinci resolve... but i am scared to use another software!

What program are you using now?
Davinci Resolve is good but it's not easy to learn.  It takes time!
2018-2-27
Use props
ghutch
lvl.4
United States

Kath Hirikawa Posted at 2018-2-27 12:52
oh, another cinelike user... have you tried using d-log? if so, what were the reason why you changed to different color setting(cinelike)? and do you shoot in 1080p? or shoot in 2.7k then downscale to 1080p?

For me, d-log created a little more mushiness when filming, especially trees.
I film in 2.7k and downsize when exporting.  This gives me more resolution if I want to zoom in.
2018-2-27
Use props
Kath Hirikawa
lvl.1

United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-2-27 13:07
You should probably do a search on Youtube, tons of videos on there...

i did search on youtube and vimeo. yes, there are tons of videos on other drones, but there aren't many videos on color grading with p3 std shots... so i was wondering whether d-log is not meant for p3 std. (like shooting in v-log on gh4 internally) i also wanted to know more details on the workflow. because i can fly drones but i felt like my shots dont look as pretty as ones i looked up on youtube..
2018-2-27
Use props
Kath Hirikawa
lvl.1

United States

ghutch Posted at 2018-2-27 13:19
What program are you using now?
Davinci Resolve is good but it's not easy to learn.  It takes time!

i mainly use premiere pro cc. i can edit videos, like cutting and arranging, but i am awful at putting effects or color grading... ;( yeah...i heard davinci resolve is great on color grading, but i don't think i am capable of switch programs back and forth. too hectic!
2018-2-27
Use props
ghutch
lvl.4
United States

I don't personally use Premiere Pro but it's one of the best programs on the PC.

I've tried using D-Cinelike to Rec709 LUT's in different programs like Resolve and Hitfilm Express but they are just too much over the top.  I just manually tweak the saturation, contrast and colors.  Works better for me than LUT's...
2018-2-27
Use props
Kath Hirikawa
lvl.1

Palestine

ghutch Posted at 2018-2-27 14:34
I don't personally use Premiere Pro but it's one of the best programs on the PC.

I've tried using D-Cinelike to Rec709 LUT's in different programs like Resolve and Hitfilm Express but they are just too much over the top.  I just manually tweak the saturation, contrast and colors.  Works better for me than LUT's...

yeah, luts are only for logs, i think, hehe
2018-2-27
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Kath Hirikawa Posted at 2018-2-27 15:54
yeah, luts are only for logs, i think, hehe

Unless you are going to match your footage into a program with footage from other cameras, the log files are too much work. I recommend you try Vivid and see if you like it.
2018-2-27
Use props
Kath Hirikawa
lvl.1

Palestine

Geebax Posted at 2018-2-27 18:01
Unless you are going to match your footage into a program with footage from other cameras, the log files are too much work. I recommend you try Vivid and see if you like it.

ooh.. i was actually going to shoot with gh4 using v-log l, then match with the drone shots. so you are saying in general that if i am going to match my p3 std footages into a program(premiere pro in my case) with footages from other camera like my gh4, it is recommended?
2018-2-27
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Kath Hirikawa Posted at 2018-2-27 18:31
ooh.. i was actually going to shoot with gh4 using v-log l, then match with the drone shots. so you are saying in general that if i am going to match my p3 std footages into a program(premiere pro in my case) with footages from other camera like my gh4, it is recommended?

I have no experience with a GH4, but if you want to go to all that trouble, maybe one of the log files is best. I match my P3P footage in 4K, shot with a vivid profile, with a Sony A7rII, and they cut together almost perfectly with only the slightest tweaking in Resolve.
2018-2-27
Use props
Kath Hirikawa
lvl.1

Palestine

Geebax Posted at 2018-2-27 18:50
I have no experience with a GH4, but if you want to go to all that trouble, maybe one of the log files is best. I match my P3P footage in 4K, shot with a vivid profile, with a Sony A7rII, and they cut together almost perfectly with only the slightest tweaking in Resolve.

ohhh thats nice. i am hoping that gh4 and p3 std would get along well...
2018-2-27
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

As Geebax ... I have plumped for Vivid now after trying the other settings ....

I am no Post Processor guru - so getting a good colour range video / photo of the SD card is important to me.

I also do not have time to play in high end editors like Davinci ...

As I understand it D-Log records all data / info but is bland plain when viewed. But having all the info embedded allows high end editor prog's to drag out the effects / colours etc. you want. For me that's like building my car to go to the shops first !!

On the subject of posting numbers used in shoots ... I tried asking and it just didn't go anywhere ... few good replies, but generally it followed typical path of technical stuff posted.

Nigel
2018-2-28
Use props
Kath Hirikawa
lvl.1

United States

solentlife Posted at 2018-2-28 01:33
As Geebax ... I have plumped for Vivid now after trying the other settings ....

I am no Post Processor guru - so getting a good colour range video / photo of the SD card is important to me.

okey dokey. it's good to hear from your experience. i am just new to drones. i guess i have try different settings on my own and start shooting. it won't be good at first haha, but hopefully i will get better. thanks!
2018-2-28
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

A lot of everything you do will be trial and error.  Practice on flying smooth, steady and getting nice cinematic footage.  Post will be a continuous learning process.  Good luck, fly safe.
2018-2-28
Use props
Kath Hirikawa
lvl.1

United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-2-28 07:36
A lot of everything you do will be trial and error.  Practice on flying smooth, steady and getting nice cinematic footage.  Post will be a continuous learning process.  Good luck, fly safe.

you are soo right! thanks!
2018-2-28
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kath Hirikawa Posted at 2018-2-28 07:46
you are soo right! thanks!

What are you holding in your avatar? I’m old and don’t see well...

Jeff
2018-3-3
Use props
Kath Hirikawa
lvl.1

Palestine

Jeff Millard Posted at 2018-3-3 04:52
What are you holding in your avatar? I’m old and don’t see well...

Jeff

its a coffee pack i got as a gift!
2018-3-3
Use props
LarBear360
lvl.4
Flight distance : 63537 ft
United States

Kath Hirikawa Posted at 2018-2-27 15:54
yeah, luts are only for logs, i think, hehe

I shoot mostly DSLR video, however, I also use a Phantom 3 and shoot D-Log. I find the Heron Collection from Ground Control provide a quick start to color grading. They look great. $20. Cheap!
2018-3-3
Use props
Kath Hirikawa
lvl.1

United States

LarBear360 Posted at 2018-3-3 21:56
I shoot mostly DSLR video, however, I also use a Phantom 3 and shoot D-Log. I find the Heron Collection from Ground Control provide a quick start to color grading. They look great. $20. Cheap!

okay! thanks!
2018-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules