Stationary tolerance
1081 6 2018-2-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
James R
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1423871 ft
United States

Does anyone else have an issue with their Phantom 4 wanting to wave 2-3 feet in the air while in GPS mode? Sometimes it seems like everything is fine and others seem not so good. I know the tolerance is about 3 feet, but it seems a bit erratic on how often it does this.

Low to no winds btw.

2018-2-26
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Below 3 Metres or about 10 feet, a Phantom will be using VPS to hold station. If the ground surface it sees is not visually distinctive, it can wander about a bit. Try taking it up another 10 feet, out of VPS range, and see if it is more stable up there.
2018-2-26
Use props
Bashy
Captain
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Deffo higher the better, i sent my p4p up to about 60m not long back and from take off to 60m i kept the H on the pad in the dead center of the corsshairs, it didnt waiver at all, amazing bit of kit
2018-2-26
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Geebax is spot on. The performance of VPS might be affected by the environment. Make sure the drone lift to certain altitude and there are enough GPS signal to see whether it helps.
2018-2-26
Use props
James R
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1423871 ft
United States

Thanks for the replies and Education! I did not know about VPS!
2018-2-27
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

From the P4 Spec'

The VPS on P4 works up to 10m from surface below (P3 is 3m):-

Hover Accuracy Range
Vertical:
±0.1 m (with Vision Positioning)
±0.5 m (with GPS Positioning)
Horizontal:
±0.3 m (with Vision Positioning)
±1.5 m (with GPS Positioning)
2018-2-27
Use props
microlinux
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2576972 ft
  • >>>
United States

VPS can definitely be problematic on some surfaces. More than once I could have cued up circus music while I tried to catch my P4 with VPS on.

It can be turned off. If you're flying low-ish over water, for example, it's best to disable it.
2018-2-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules