Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
3 blade props
1366 14 2018-2-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Hellsgate
Captain
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

Question ..... would 3 blade props be siutable for the p4p or a waste of time.
If so what advantage would they give over twin blade props?
Screenshot_20180227-160454.jpg
2018-2-26
Use props
kykphantom
Captain
Flight distance : 5892388 ft
Cyprus

It is not a simple question of 2 or 3 blades? This involves a lot of technical parameters regarding the performance of the motors, the weight of the propellers, the response time of the ESC, and so on. Do you have a reason why you would like to use a 3-blade propeller?
2018-2-26
Use props
Hellsgate
Captain
Australia

No reason just a general query
2018-2-26
Use props
Hellsgate
Captain
Australia

I was kinda just wondering what the difference would be if they were to be used and if there no good then why would they be on the market and for what reason?
2018-2-26
Use props
Hellsgate
Captain
Australia

All i know about them at this stage is that they are carbon fibre blades light weight and very strong.
But obviously not worth purchasing if they are going to adversely effect the flight of the drone.
Im no aeronautical engineer so have no idea what the effects would be but at a guess im thinking higher thrust at lower motor speed would be one of the effects.
2018-2-26
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-2-26 23:56
All i know about them at this stage is that they are carbon fibre blades light weight and very strong.
But obviously not worth purchasing if they are going to adversely effect the flight of the drone.
Im no aeronautical engineer so have no idea what the effects would be but at a guess im thinking higher thrust at lower motor speed would be one of the effects.

Aloha Hellsgate,

As noted by KYK, there are many complex issues involved in giving the Phantoms three blade propellers.  The old Huey helicopters from the Vietnam War had two blade rotors and have now been redesigned and rebuilt to have three blades.  They are now part of a team with Apache gunships used as a ground support strategy.  The old Huey helicopter had a characteristic sound and now the new Huey sounds completely different and is much quieter, although not as quiet as the four blade Apache gunships.  The quietness is the most beneficial improvement.  Also, the rotor disk is much smaller so it can operate in tighter environments.

Now apply these concepts to our quadcopters.  They would have a smaller rotor disk which means less propeller in photos and videos when the Phantom is pushed hard.  The three blade rotors, if designed appropriately, can also be quieter.  But for these improvements, the motors and ESC will need work to maintain the energy consumption  of current Phantoms and not increase wear on the motors.  It is an interesting engineering exercise and opens discussion on many other design possibilities.

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-2-27
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

They would not fit in the P4 prop bag, and probably not in the P4 carry case - big disadvantage!

Blades look a similar shape to the standard props, there are just more of them so maybe they work better at low speed but are poor for sports mode.  However even for an expert it is impossible to predict how the P4 flight controller would react and if it could adjust itself to the 3 bladed props, they might work well until you meet a strong gust of wind in sports mode and then flip the aircraft upside down.

Is somebody going to test them out...
2018-2-27
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-2-26 23:56
Im no aeronautical engineer so have no idea what the effects would be but at a guess im thinking higher thrust at lower motor speed would be one of the effects.

Those props are possibly unbalanced and very hard to balance.
DJI's propulsion engineers did a good job designing a complete propulsion system and matching the props to the motors and ESCs.
Slapping something from Ebay on the Phantom won't do anything any better than the original props.
There's a market for those things because so many people imagine that something made of CF and with more blades will look badass and must be better.
2018-2-27
Use props
goldrock
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1893983 ft
Australia

chinese el-chepo props work great for me, They are made by the same people that make them for DJI. Dont know about the 3 blade? never tried em.
2018-2-27
Use props
Hellsgate
Captain
Australia

Yeah i thought it would be a good discussion point.
just to clarify im not intending to buy a set i was just more curious about them than anything else.
I guess just kinda wondering if there would be an advantage over a two blade system or not.
2018-2-27
Use props
Hellsgate
Captain
Australia

Labroides Posted at 2018-2-27 01:22
Those props are possibly unbalanced and very hard to balance.
DJI's propulsion engineers did a good job designing a complete propulsion system and matching the props to the motors and ESCs.
Slapping something from Ebay on the Phantom won't do anything any better than the original props.

I do have to admit tho putting those blades on an obsidian would look badass lol
2018-2-27
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

They look cool for sure but not sure how it would enhance performance and may void the warranty if you crash.
2018-2-27
Use props
QuadKid
Captain
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-2-27 02:41
Yeah i thought it would be a good discussion point.
just to clarify im not intending to buy a set i was just more curious about them than anything else.
I guess just kinda wondering if there would be an advantage over a two blade system or not.

Well considering DJI had to do an ESC update to allow the use of the 8331 props on the Mavic Pro and they were just slightly different than the original 8330 props (Change in pitch, overall blade area and weight)
adding a third blade and who knows what other variables are different from OEM props! Not a good idea.
2018-2-27
Use props
Hellsgate
Captain
Australia

QuadKid Posted at 2018-2-27 03:09
Well considering DJI had to do an ESC update to allow the use of the 8331 props on the Mavic Pro and they were just slightly different than the original 8330 props (Change in pitch, overall blade area and weight)
adding a third blade and who knows what other variables are different from OEM props! Not a good idea.

Definitely not a good idea i agree but still an interesting topic of discussion getting away from all the upgrade and fault threads that weve seen lately lol.
Would be interesting to hear from someone that has tried them out
2018-2-27
Use props
Landbo
First Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-2-27 04:21
Definitely not a good idea i agree but still an interesting topic of discussion getting away from all the upgrade and fault threads that weve seen lately lol.
Would be interesting to hear from someone that has tried them out

You will probably find that the flight time is shorter with a 3 blade props as it is not as effective as the regular 2 blade.

Regards Leif.
2018-2-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules