8886 37 2018-2-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans356367d4
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1480344 ft
United States

WARNING: Virus on board DJI Assistant 2 download from DJI

I downloaded DJI Assistant 2 from DJI this morning, and installed it. It did what I expected it to do (I've used it on another computer before).

This evening, Norton Security caught a very serious virus hiding within a file named "visionstarter2.exe" in the DJI product directory! See the attached screen shots.

Capture.jpg       Capture.jpg

Wow. How bad is that!

David A.

2018-2-27
Use props
G_Sig
First Officer
Flight distance : 9109311 ft
Iceland

No virus. This is just Norton.
2018-2-27
Use props
fans356367d4
lvl.2
United States

Um. No. I don't think so. And I'm sure as hell not taking that risk. It wouldn't be the first time a company has released an infected download.
2018-2-27
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

It is a so called "false positive". There is no virus.
2018-2-27
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

David, may I know which version is your DJI Assistant 2 and did you download it from DJI Official website? Looking forward to your feedback.
2018-2-27
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

fans356367d4 Posted at 2018-2-27 00:38
Um. No. I don't think so. And I'm sure as hell not taking that risk. It wouldn't be the first time a company has released an infected download.

This was first spotted a few weeks ago with one or two virus killers wrongly reporting it, just Norton giving a false positive.

I run mcafee with latest updates and it gives no notification of any problems. Make sure Norton has latest .dat files, I believe that helped a few.
2018-2-27
Use props
spookster
Second Officer
Flight distance : 419649 ft
Germany

It is also a generic find by norton. Check file on virustotal and take "risk" or don't.
2018-2-27
Use props
rantanlan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 69698 ft
Germany

Get rid of that symantec crap...
2018-2-27
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Norton is garbage.
2018-2-27
Use props
PS013
First Officer
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

https://forum.dji.com/thread-128071-1-1.html

https://forum.dji.com/thread-130377-1-1.html

https://forum.dji.com/thread-130016-1-1.html

https://forum.dji.com/thread-128660-1-1.html

... and so on ...

And, the most important one https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &fromuid=940640
2018-2-27
Use props
fansbd4bbeea
lvl.1
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-2-27 01:47
David, may I know which version is your DJI Assistant 2 and did you download it from DJI Official website? Looking forward to your feedback.

I also downloaded your latest version of assistant 2 from you website. The virus has trashed my laptop.
A support email was sent Saturday- there was no reply concerning the problem. The virus w
Was seen by Windows 10 defender but it was too late. When the computer was restarted it showed an “updatiing your computer” message and then went to a blue screen boot error. It has wiped out my config files, regbackup and to date I haven’t been able to fine my data files. I will download Windows 10 ISO onto a usb stick and try to reload the operating system
2018-3-8
Use props
Brad Bilger
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14843274 ft
United States

I've had problems with Nortons in the past.  Switched to McAfee's for a while.  Had some get through there.  Using Windows Defender and Malwarebytes.  Never had a problem with my system since then.  Scanned daily and just ran a scan a few seconds ago to make sure.  All clean on 5.5 TB of hard drives.   Including Assistant.  
2018-3-8
Use props
B1houdini
First Officer
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

Thanks for the heads up on the virus. Was just about ready to download. Will wait another day to see if any one else has a problem before I update.

2018-3-8
Use props
fansbd4bbeea
lvl.1
United States

I downloaded assistant 2 on Saturday. I got hit by the virus - it was seen by Windows defender but wasn’t stopped. After the Download completed I restarted my laptop and it now has a blue screen - fail to boot.
It has trashed my confiig files and erased my regbackup. For those neh sayers out there. THERE IS A VIRUS. No false positive.  No kidding around. Tech support was notified Saturday and Thor was told on this forum today. Please download with caution
2018-3-8
Use props
fansbd4bbeea
lvl.1
United States

fansbd4bbeea Posted at 2018-3-8 06:42
I also downloaded your latest version of assistant 2 from you website. The virus has trashed my laptop.
A support email was sent Saturday- there was no reply concerning the problem. The virus w
Was seen by Windows 10 defender but it was too late. When the computer was restarted it showed an “updatiing your computer” message and then went to a blue screen boot error. It has wiped out my config files, regbackup and to date I haven’t been able to fine my data files. I will download Windows 10 ISO onto a usb stick and try to reload the operating system

Couldn’t tell you what version since my laptop is dead. It was on the DJI website. I went to the Mavic air menu and downloaded it from the software tab
2018-3-8
Use props
fans356367d4
lvl.2
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-2-27 01:47

I have uninstalled the program, so I don't know.
2018-3-8
Use props
fans356367d4
lvl.2
United States

rantanlan Posted at 2018-2-27 06:50
Get rid of that symantec crap...

Excellent coaching from a terse but doubtlessly expert stranger on the Internet. I always take that sort of advice; hasn't failed me yxbz... xertas iisdfw!
2018-3-8
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would rather have the virus than Norton any day.

However, there is no virus in said file.
2018-3-8
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

fans356367d4 Posted at 2018-3-8 13:11
I have uninstalled the program, so I don't know.

Okay, if it is possible, take a look next time. And please feel free let me know if there is anything else I can do, I would love to help.
2018-3-8
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

fansbd4bbeea Posted at 2018-3-8 06:42
Was seen by Windows 10 defender but it was too late. When the computer was restarted it showed an “updatiing your computer” message and then went to a blue screen boot error. It has wiped out my config files, regbackup and to date I haven’t been able to fine my data files. I will download Windows 10 ISO onto a usb stick and try to reload the operating system

Are you able to reload the system already? If you would like, we have a beta version for you to try. Let me know if you are interested.
2018-3-8
Use props
fansbd4bbeea
lvl.1
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-3-8 22:48
Are you able to reload the system already? If you would like, we have a beta version for you to try. Let me know if you are interested.

It will be several days before I can get up and running . I have to reinstall Windows 10. At this time it appears that the virus has deleted all of my apps and data. I’m hoping I can retrieve what’s lost.
2018-3-9
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

Interesting, I checked the same directory in your post above and I don't even have a file called VisionStarter2.exe.  I do have the file VisionStarter.exe. Seems as though this may be an incorrect file.
2018-3-9
Use props
Li'l Bertie
lvl.2
United States

Bob Brown Posted at 2018-3-8 17:59
I would rather have the virus than Norton any day.

However, there is no virus in said file.

Very astute observation! One of the most popular and respected security suites is DEFINITELY worse than any virus! What was I thinking?
2018-3-9
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Li'l Bertie Posted at 2018-3-9 08:35
Very astute observation! One of the most popular and respected security suites is DEFINITELY worse than any virus! What was I thinking?

Better get your info from other locations, The last time Norton made a populair and respected suit was Norton Commander, and that was in 1984...
2018-3-26
Use props
Thudd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1624787 ft

Just me but, I find it strange that a company would ask you to ignore a long standing virus protection suit. And disable driver signing to install the software you need to keep their product up to date. Norton is just the messenger.  I don't like blaming the messenger.
2018-3-26
Use props
LoSBoL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 666483 ft
Netherlands

Thudd Posted at 2018-3-26 03:32
Just me but, I find it strange that a company would ask you to ignore a long standing virus protection suit. And disable driver signing to install the software you need to keep their product up to date. Norton is just the messenger.  I don't like blaming the messenger.

You are absolutely right. DJI doesn't have their stuff together with the unsigned drivers and DJI Assistant malfunctioning. It is however Norton which gives a false positive message, you can't blame DJI for that, nor for DJI saying to ignore the message, because Norton doesn't have their stuff together either.
2018-3-26
Use props
funnznbichler
lvl.1

Germany

Hi all,

it's not only Norton...
Today Windows 10 Defender found a "Trojan:Win32/Bitrep.A" within the "DGI Assistant 2 for Mavic 2.0.0.exe" (downloaded from the official DJI site). I also submitted the Installation file directly to Microsoft for online analysis - and the online scan confirmed the Trojan!

You can imagine that I have an extremely bad feeling about this…

What are your experiences with this installer?

Thanks and greetings!
2018-8-26
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

few questions:

1. did you download the assist app from DJi directly (this website)?   
2. did you compare the MD5 sumcheck to make sure no man-in-the-middle attack going on?  d

3. did you try scanning it with malwarebytes for a second opinion incase of false positives?

norton is pretty sh**t with actually protecting you..   if your running windows 10 i suggest a combo of built-in windows defender + malwarebytes over pretty much anything right now.. specially norton and mcaffee.  i hope it was free and you didnt buy into it..
2018-8-27
Use props
funnznbichler
lvl.1

Germany

funnznbichler Posted at 2018-8-26 23:52
Hi all,

it's not only Norton...

And hi again,

strange: now (some minutes later) during an online re-scan, the same online scanner tells me there is *no* virus:

So it was a false positive? Again?

Greetings!
2018-8-27
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

funnznbichler Posted at 2018-8-27 00:02
And hi again,

strange: now (some minutes later) during an online re-scan, the same online scanner tells me there is *no* virus:

redownload it and then scan new download.. windows defender can be extremely aggressive and without prompts, warnings or indications it can remove files trying to protect itself..

that being said, dji is a company based in china, and chinese government demands backdoors and monitoring software to be installed into things for their own people.. maybe there is somethign in the app they wasnt ment to be for distribution outside china?
2018-8-27
Use props
JERRY K
lvl.3
Flight distance : 308327 ft
United States

There is no virus-Norton is the worst you can buy period!  I only use ESET It is bullet proof. Norton is worth less
2018-8-29
Use props
JERRY K
lvl.3
Flight distance : 308327 ft
United States

Hi all,

it's not only Norton...

Windows defender is just as worthless as Norton
2018-8-29
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Not a virus, its just Norton.  Which is a resource hogging, inaccurate pile of junk.
2018-8-29
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Hi all,

it's not only Norton...

Yes, it is a false positive again. Happens frequently with new software that is not yet registered as safe in the various anti virus programs databases.
2018-8-29
Use props
djiuser_R0j4l86UFusk
New

United Kingdom

For everyone saying false positive no, as another user with a laptop above said, it also 'F'd' my laptop, 100% the only thing I installed, i'm always very particular about not downloading anything that could be not right,

The c h i n e s e do exactly this. love my drone but trust dji no, multiple things on my laptop stopped working including antivirus protection had to roll it all back and its obviously changed things in the registry as some programmes still don't start although now windows actually acknowledges this when i try to open them

I can count how many things I've installed on my laptop this year on my left hand... this programme is the issue

and btw of course i only download from official websites
2018-11-2
Use props
BayouFlyer
New
United States

Bitdefender 2019 Just discovered it on my computer. It's always been this way.

Gen:Trojan.Heur.PM.2
2019-3-21
Use props
Bob Brown
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Li'l Bertie Posted at 2018-3-9 08:35
Very astute observation! One of the most popular and respected security suites is DEFINITELY worse than any virus! What was I thinking?

I tell ya what... YOU use Norton and me and my users will use real AV software. (Eset and T-Micro are great!) I recommend only AV that works against all threats!  I have over 2 decades in the IT industry and I can tell you this, Symantec/Norton embeds itself so deep into the OS it is almost like a virus itself. History of false-positives, BSOD issue and overall the biggest bloated pile of heaping non-av malware available. I could continue on... but since you "know your stuff" I will let you learn the hard way. (best way to learn!)

Hey and really... Good Luck to you! ;)

2019-3-22
Use props
RIMC1234
lvl.3
Flight distance : 227470 ft
Spain

G_Sig Posted at 2018-2-27 00:26
No virus. This is just Norton.

Well my McAfee Anti-Virus is indicating also that it has quarantined the file because it is a Threat with JTi/Suspect.196612!ecb07ad92c27 what ever this is that I don´t know.

I never got this message before, it started after downloading a few days ago the latest Assistant 2 ver V2.0.10

Any news on this or help much appreciated.
2020-1-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules