Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
The best travel buddy has a new name! It’s called the Mavic Air
3018 29 2018-3-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TheDon
Captain
Flight distance : 7951273 ft
  • >>>
Romania

The best travel buddy has a new name! It’s called the Mavic Air.

Thanks to DJI we have the option to buy our gear depending on our needs. DJI innovated in a way so we can pick from a large variety sized drones.
First of all, I would like to categorize DJI products from my point of view.
The Inspire series is for professional use no question, I consider them the big guns! They are used to film professional-grade projects.
The Phantom series which I also own, Phantom 4 Pro and Mavic series are for the prosumer user, thanks to their medium size transporting in a backpack is possible! As you might have guessed the Spark is in the little drone category along with the Mavic Air.

I would like to show you an unboxing video I have made. My goal was to spice it up a little bit... so at the start, you'll have a little surprise.

Portability:

When it comes to transportation sneaking our drones in tight spaces might become a problem. Below you can check out my drone bags to get an idea how little space is needed for the Mavic Air.  Unfortunately, I don’t have Mavic Airs own transport bag, I’ll use the Sparks to show that it can be transported without any problem!

PANA3605-2.jpg

PANA3612-2.jpg

Note: In DJI Sparks bag you can fit your Mavic Air its controller and there's just enough space for a spare battery.

Compared to DJI Multifunctional Backpack, there's quite a "big" difference.

PANA3613-2.jpg
Color option:
        Unfortunately, I cannot decide for you which color to get! But I can tell you why I have chosen the white one! I fell in love with the Inspire 1 from the day it got announced. The high quality glossy white plastic with the black arms looks insane and futuristic.
I find the onyx black version stealthy like a spy plane. Nevertheless, you can pick the red color this way you’ll own the Ferrari of drones.
Maybe in the near future, more colors like Blue will be added to the color palette.

PANA3522-2.jpg

Let’s dive in and discover why I consider the Mavic Air DJI’s masterpiece.

This article is going to be a bit technical but easily understandable for all. I will offer you some key aspect you need to know about this flying marvel. At the moment of writing, weather conditions are so bad that flying the Mavic is suicidal. In the upcoming weeks, a lot of articles will come with sample photos and videos in different categories "nature" "sports" "wildlife" so stay tuned!

Camera:
PANA3590-2.jpg

The Mavic Air has a 12-megapixel camera capable of shooting 4k 100mb/ sec stabilized by a 3 axis gimbal.
And this is where the awesomeness begins, yes you read it right 100mb/sec recording with this tiny drone. Being able to film with a bitrate of 100mb/sec instead of 60mb/s teleports us to the prosumer league like the Phantom 4 Pro and Inspire 2.
Long story short, drone videos are all about complex motions that’s why 4K 100mb/sec is necessary for recording more information. This way your video material will contain a high amount of detail a clearer picture with less digital artifacts.

The  DJI Spark has a 2 axis gimbal. Maybe you’ll not realize the difference till you don’t see it compared with something stabilized on a 3 axis gimbal.
I remember the times when I had the Phantom 2 with the ZENMUSE H3-2D a 2 axis gimbal, then revolution came and H3-3D appeared.
A 3 axis gimbal provides better video stability because it stabilizes the camera on all 3 axis (yaw, pitch and roll). In the case of The Spark horizontal movement can become a bit jittery because of the lack of stabilization in the yaw axis.

airgif.gif

Regarding photos, we are getting a 12 megapixel with a 1/2.3”CMOS  sensor, 85 field of view in 24mm format f2.8 Aperture.
Photo size is 4:3: 4056x3040
                  16:9 4056x2280
I would not like to mix photos and videos in this article because I'm going to make a series with a story and each article will have a separate one. So stay tuned!

We also get the beloved Sphere function first introduced with the Spark!
Note: Instead of making 46 pictures the Mavic Air makes and stitches 25 pictures resulting in a 32-megapixel panorama photo.
Since the forum has no 360 panorama option yet, I'm going to post a little planet view of my Hometown.

Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 10.44.35 AM.jpg

Regarding picture quality, I'm very pleased with Mavic Air camera. I made some shots at a wildlife reservation where Deer and Buffalos were present. All pictures have been edited.

DJI_0031-2.jpg

DJI_0045.jpg

DJI_0047-2.jpg

DJI_0050-2.jpg

Storing your work:

PANA3686.jpg

SD cards: The faster the better. Recording in 4K 100/mbs not only it takes up a lot of space but also fast writing speeds are necessary. I strongly recommend V30 cards.
Photos are also written faster especially when shooting both .jpg and .dng. Investing in fast writing speed capable SD cards is a must!
        DJI surprised us with an 8gb internal memory, which is just pure awesomeness. I’m sure that all of us experienced faulty memory card issues. It happened to me several times during photographing and filming. There have been cases when I had to return from 2-3km to change the SD card losing precious flight time or missing the shot.
I mainly use 16gb capacity SD cards because of data safety reasons. It’s better to lose 16gb material than losing 32 or 64. So the extra 8gb gives not only gives you a dose of calmness but also can save you in a situation mentioned above.

Note: Since 8gb memory is integrated, you won't get any additional SD card like with other DJI Products.

SPEED:
Speed is one of the most important things to me.
        The Spark is also an awesome device, I really love it since I have declared it The Best Travel Drone last year. As I have said this before I really like that DJI takes into consideration their customers needs and surprises us every time it comes out with a new device.
I consider the Mavic Air as a DJI Spark on steroids.
        With the Spark, speed for getting to places fast was simply not enough. In cruise mode, the spark is a bit slow. The Spark has a max speed of 50km/h in sports mode. I consider that everything above 50kmh/s is fast!
Mavic Air’s speed is 68.4km/h in sports mode which has to be more than enough
Especially when shooting wildlife getting to the spot and following the subjects needs speed.

Battery:

PANA3677-2.jpg

The Mavic Air comes with a 2970 mah battery and promises 21 minute flight time without wind. In reality, I set all of my drones to announce me when battery level drops to 20% this way I get approximatively 17 min of flight time and can return from any distance because safety comes first.
Note: I recommend purchasing the Fly More Combo because you get a total of 3 batteries.
Since you’ll take your Mavic Air with you all the time and on your trips, you’ll need a minimum of 2 batteries.
In the front SPARKs battery, behind Mavic Airs and a Phantom 4 battery, to get an idea about the size of different models batteries.

PANA3681-2.jpg

Controller:
PANA3562-2.jpg

At first glance, you might think nothing has changed compared to Sparks and Mavics controller.
To be sincere all the time when transporting my drones in different bags I had a slight fear, knowing that the control sticks might scratch my drone or other accessories.
The option that we can unmount the sticks is a great possibility.
Let me show you the difference between the two controllers.

PANA3599-3.jpg

Before flight, you need to connect your device by plugging in the correct type of input (micro-usb, lightning, usb-c) depending on the phone you use.
PANA3601-3.jpg

Compared to the Sparks remote controller sticks are smaller in size.
I also find them a bit more precise but this is a personal observation.

PANA3602-3.jpg

Connectivity:

Just like the Spark the Mavic Air can also be controlled by your phone via Wi-Fi connection to a distance of 80 meters and a maximum height of 50 meters, in perfect conditions free of interference and unobstructed.
It’s good to have this option but the real deal is the controller.
You’ll have a 720p live view up to 4km.

Is it worth buying?

I’m going to cover all the scenarios for all who already own a drone.
If you own a Spark, it’s a great upgrade, since you got used to fly your drone making the next step is a must. You still get a very portable drone with higher specs along the better image and video quality.

For those owning the Mavic and Mavic Pro. If portability is an issue and you would like a smaller drone packed with almost equivalent in some specs, video vise light years better than go for it!

Those who own Phantom 4 Pro.When doing professional work having at least one backup drone is a must in our case the Mavic Air is the best option. Regarding video specifications, it’s almost the same. What you’ll not get is the fps in 4k 30 vs 60 and the 12-megapixel camera instead of 20 and finally the lack of aperture setting.

Specific functions are in the works in different articles! This thread is going to get updated.

PANA3532-2.jpg
2018-3-4
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Very comprehensive review - thanks for sharing.
2018-3-4
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Very decent work!
2018-3-4
Use props
DJREM
lvl.1
Flight distance : 174482 ft
Germany

Very nice, thank you!
2018-3-4
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

Excellent review, thank you very much!
2018-3-4
Use props
sky6105
First Officer
Flight distance : 345653 ft
United States

Great review, Thank You
2018-3-5
Use props
Wyke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 33166 ft
United Kingdom

Nice write up
2018-3-5
Use props
Solitaire
Second Officer
Australia

Well done - thanks for sharing
2018-3-5
Use props
HenryHM
Second Officer
Flight distance : 795404 ft
Australia

thank you!! nice read
2018-3-5
Use props
M2Wair
Captain
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Nice write up
2018-3-5
Use props
bestdrones1
New

Pakistan

nice to see this
2018-3-5
Use props
GoldenSun
Captain
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

Thanks for sharing your thoughts
2018-3-5
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

A CW Posted at 2018-3-4 23:28
Very comprehensive review - thanks for sharing.

Thank you! Glad you like it! Don't forget to give a thumbs up
2018-3-5
Use props
Oli-Shields
lvl.1
Flight distance : 62766 ft

United Kingdom

Great review, thanks
2018-3-5
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

Thank you!
2018-3-5
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

DJREM Posted at 2018-3-4 23:54
Very nice, thank you!

Thank you! My pleasure!
2018-3-5
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

You're welcome!
2018-3-5
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

Thank you very much!
2018-3-6
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

Glad you like it! Thx!
2018-3-6
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

Thank you!
2018-3-6
Use props
Face-AcheNZ
First Officer
Flight distance : 96631 ft
New Zealand

Really enjoyable and informative read. Makes me feel good about my Mavic Air purchase  
2018-3-6
Use props
Hestia
First Officer
Flight distance : 135381 ft
Italy

Awesome and complete review mate!
2018-3-6
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

Face-AcheNZ Posted at 2018-3-6 00:29
Really enjoyable and informative read. Makes me feel good about my Mavic Air purchase

Thank you! You feel the right way!
Check my new article! ;) https://forum.dji.com/thread-138882-1-1.html
2018-3-6
Use props
TheDon
Captain
  • >>>
Romania

Hestia Posted at 2018-3-6 00:32
Awesome and complete review mate!

Thank you very much! Feels good to get this kind of feedback!
2018-3-6
Use props
eddy chung
New
Flight distance : 557165 ft

Taiwan

dji mavic pro 產品再次出現嚴種瑕疵:本人空拍機在返航時突然失去連線造成空拍機遺失,根據當時返航電量還有21%電力及衛星訊號還有19顆的狀態下,在距離返航起始點905公尺的距離突然失去訊號導致空拍機遺失, 在返航飛行的途中訊號回傳並無任何異常,也沒有電池訊號異常狀況,螺旋漿也持續正常運狀,就在回航中突然出現整個手機螢幕斷訊遙控器也無法作動的情況下失去了空拍機. 特別發出此信函通知貴公司申請客訴處理.以下提供DJI帳號及密碼,已上傳飛行紀錄佐證當時情況.
大疆處理小組卻將空拍機遺失歸咎於使用者因素造成,那接下來是否每台空拍機如有類似狀況造成遺失,都直接切割責任歸屬,總公司對產品完全不用負起任何責任.這個樣子客服及問題處理方式值得讓消費者重新思考該公司的產品,能否還能取得消費者信任
2018-3-7
Use props
techelpp
New

India

Hii dear, Here I am talking about iTunes apps latest features, latest features is iTunes DJ, Gapless playback editor helping this features without any break he gapless playback feature plays songs back to back.
iTunes Tech Support Number

2018-3-9
Use props
Ebeard4
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2619780 ft
United States

Very helpful. Thank you for taking the time to  write this up!
2018-3-20
Use props
B1houdini
Captain
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

If I was going to get another drone  your video review and write up might convince me to get the Mavic Air.
Very informative Thanks!

2018-3-20
Use props
ZviLerner
lvl.1
Flight distance : 498501 ft

Great work
2018-4-10
Use props
cspain
First Officer
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

Great review, must have taken a long time to put together!
2018-4-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules