Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
How many airplane pilots are also flying drones?
846 8 2018-2-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Blizzard
Captain
Flight distance : 173734 ft

Spain

Altough I'm retired now I did fly for many years as a commercial pilot.
But I think quite a lot of the drone pilots here did also fly airplanes.

Is the experience as an airplane pilot gives you better understanding flying drones?
2018-2-27
Use props
B1houdini
Captain
Flight distance : 927927 ft
United States

I am not a pilot but I did take ground school and I have worked in the Avionic field for 30 years. Those electronic displays you see in the cockpit  are controlled by the many black boxes I helped research and develop back in the 80's.
My best friend was a captain flying commercial aircraft and we spend a lot of time flying together. He can handle stress a lot better then me so I do think pilots have one up on us non pilots.
2018-2-27
Use props
PS013
Captain
Flight distance : 3579409 ft
United States

Having my PPL made it a breeze to get part 103 certification. I think that being a pilot makes you more aware of the risks inherent to flying drones.
2018-2-27
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Captain
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Haven't flown for years, but hold SEL/MEL and Commercial.  I don't think it helps fly drones at all.  But it does make it easy to understand the FAA's wishes in most cases.
2018-2-27
Use props
Mavic Ace
Second Officer
Flight distance : 333976 ft
  • >>>
United States

Haven’t flown a plane since 2012 but I flew Cessna 172s for several years. It does help to understand the basics of flight, wind and the FAA
2018-2-27
Use props
eYeSkYeYe
Captain

Croatia

In my experience, PPL/CPL holders are more panic-proof. I would say at least 80% of bad things happening with drones are direct result of panic. 17% is a result of machine being smarter than pilot and 3% of device malfunction.
2018-2-27
Use props
Hummingbird.UAV
Captain
Flight distance : 8330174 ft
  • >>>
Canada

I used to fly an aerobatic tail dragger and a 17m wingspan glider in my younger days.  Still have a valid medical so the full sized aircraft licence is still good.  Made it really easy to get a 1 year standing SFOC from Transport Canada to fly my drones.  (got it on my 1st application)
2018-2-27
Use props
Buzzyone
Captain
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
France

Current PPL, in the past have flown gliders, Pawnees' and Piper Warrior, this all helps gaining my CAA PfCO for commercial drone operations.

It also gives you a much bigger insight into the weather and being able to read the conditions. Although the glider piloting gives you a really good understanding and a healthy respect for the weather.
2018-2-27
Use props
Jenee 2
Captain
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I was a CFI (Chief Flying Instructor) for many years and still hold a current licence. The main benefits are in understanding airspace and the rules, understanding the effects of control stick movements and really understanding how weather conditions can effect the drone.
2018-2-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules