Weak GPS signal on new spark
13198 18 2018-2-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MavicMiles
New
United States

New spark owner here, we have a Mavic Pro and had zero issues getting it started and flying with remote and iphone so I have no real techinical back ground here becuase the Mavic was so easy!  Enter our new spark. Low or no GPS signal every time we fly and we are flying in ATTI mode with a max altitude.  We have a designated "drone phone" that we use to fly, it uses wifi at the house but is not activated on cellular network, but this hasn't been an issue with the Mavic.  From what I understand from the threads the the GPS unit is in the spark itself.  I've tried a lot of the trouble shooting listed here, but Im started to get overwhelmed.  So here is what I've done.  Ive updated my phone, reloaded the app, updated firmware.  My Spark is linked to the RC, RC to the phone.  I've allowed the spark to sit outside turned on for several minutes before flight with no GPS signal change.  We've flown and hovered and still no change, went a whole battery cycle.  I've calibrated my compass now as well, no change.  I've read that some GPS units are faulty, but I want to make sure I've exhausted all my resources to make sure Im not missing something simple before I go through the exchange process.  Anything Im missing or can still try?  And I need details, im not super techy so I need a step by step, I can handle it pretty well once I know where things are and how to get there.
2018-2-27
Use props
KurtVD
lvl.4
Flight distance : 365299 ft
Switzerland

I think it should be just as easy as with your Mavic, at least that's how it was for me. Yes, there's a GPS chip in the aircraft itself, and so far, I never had to wait more than a minute before it switched into GPS mode. There's an icon in the status bar of the DJI GO app (top line), which shows the number of satellites your Spark "sees"; from experience, it needs 11 before goes into GPS mode, and it's all automatic . So your Spark is probably faulty out of the box .

If you can't get it exchanged through your vendor, open a case with DJI support and they will tell you what to do.
2018-2-27
Use props
MavicMiles
New
United States

KurtVD Posted at 2018-2-27 13:36
I think it should be just as easy as with your Mavic, at least that's how it was for me. Yes, there's a GPS chip in the aircraft itself, and so far, I never had to wait more than a minute before it switched into GPS mode. There's an icon in the status bar of the DJI GO app (top line), which shows the number of satellites your Spark "sees"; from experience, it needs 11 before goes into GPS mode, and it's all automatic . So your Spark is probably faulty out of the box  .

If you can't get it exchanged through your vendor, open a case with DJI support and they will tell you what to do.

That's kinda what I think too   Just wanted to make sure before we started the process that I hadn't missed something in set up.  
2018-2-27
Use props
BeastMaster_101
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1082992 ft
Canada

Maybe the K index in your area is too high which makes it harder for the spark to lock GPS
2018-2-27
Use props
MavicMiles
New
United States

BeastMaster_101 Posted at 2018-2-27 13:53
Maybe the K index in your area is too high which makes it harder for the spark to lock GPS

Wouldn't that affect my Mavic tho?  Theres three of us in the area within a mile of eachother that have DJI drones and haven't had issues with GPS at all.  
2018-2-27
Use props
BeastMaster_101
lvl.4
Canada

MavicMiles Posted at 2018-2-27 13:56
Wouldn't that affect my Mavic tho?  Theres three of us in the area within a mile of eachother that have DJI drones and haven't had issues with GPS at all.

It would effect any drone with GPS but maybe the K value was too high on the day that you were trying to fly the spark?
2018-2-27
Use props
MavicMiles
New
United States

BeastMaster_101 Posted at 2018-2-27 14:04
It would effect any drone with GPS but maybe the K value was too high on the day that you were trying to fly the spark?

We've tried it over the course of the last three days, several flights.  The Mavic fires right up however and flies without any error.  We've never lost signal with the Mavic on our property.  I never had gotten any signal since taking the spark out of it's box on Friday.  
2018-2-27
Use props
djiuser_NuStSrDUH3OU
lvl.3
Flight distance : 237789 ft
United States

Sounds like spark is faulty out of box ive never had issues with spark gps. im flying in heavy populated  area(city)
2018-2-27
Use props
BeastMaster_101
lvl.4
Canada

djiuser_NuStSrDUH3OU Posted at 2018-2-27 15:04
Sounds like spark is faulty out of box ive never had issues with spark gps. im flying in heavy populated  area(city)

Ya probably a faulty unit because I fly in populated city too and have 13-12 satalites at take off and like 17-19 satalites while up there. Send it back and good luck
2018-2-27
Use props
DrohneMann
lvl.4
Flight distance : 87415 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sounds like as they stated above you should send it in for evaluation.
2018-2-27
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

Hi, there. Did you attach any sticker on your spark? Any other error message from your app? If the problem can not be fixed even if you change environment, please contact our support and start a case: http://www.dji.com/support
2018-2-27
Use props
MavicMiles
New
United States

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-2-27 19:13
Hi, there. Did you attach any sticker on your spark? Any other error message from your app? If the problem can not be fixed even if you change environment, please contact our support and start a case: http://www.dji.com/support

nope, no stickers   no other error messages either.  We've contacted the store we bought from and they are issuing an exchange   Happy spark flying soon!
2018-2-27
Use props
mattinhk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 54888 ft
Hong Kong

DJI Elektra Posted at 2018-2-27 19:13
Hi, there. Did you attach any sticker on your spark? Any other error message from your app? If the problem can not be fixed even if you change environment, please contact our support and start a case: http://www.dji.com/support

How much will a sticker affect GPS signal? out of my curiosity
2018-2-27
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

mattinhk Posted at 2018-2-27 19:33
How much will a sticker affect GPS signal? out of my curiosity

Hi, there. We would not recommend users attach anything that has a bad influence on the GPS signal. Spark may fail to locate the position and fly unsafely. Thanks for your support.
2018-2-27
Use props
DJI Elektra
DJI team
Hong Kong

MavicMiles Posted at 2018-2-27 19:26
nope, no stickers   no other error messages either.  We've contacted the store we bought from and they are issuing an exchange   Happy spark flying soon!

Glad that the problem was solved. Have a nice day.
2018-2-27
Use props
vlsakota
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1959 ft
Croatia

Lijep pozdrav.
Nedavno sam postao vlasnik dji spark letjelice i prezadovoljan sam dobivenim, jedino me zanima kako riješiti problem sa gps i kompas greškama?
Letim u naseljenom mjestu i mislio sam da je to razlog ali nedavno sam bio par dana na selu i letio sam iznad polja gdje nema ničega i stvar je opet ista.
jednostavno izbaci greška kompas i krene nekontrolirano letjeti...do sad sam imao sreću pa sam ga uspio vratiti al svaki put kad ponovo letim, letim sa strahom da ga neću vratiti. A vidim po forumima  iz iskustva drugih pilota sparka da nemam samo ja problem pa bih molio za pomoć
2018-5-20
Use props
vlsakota
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1959 ft
Croatia

Nice regards.
I recently became the owner of the spark of a ship and I'm content to get myself, I was interested in solving the problem with gps and compass mistakes?
I flew in the inhabited place and I thought that was the reason but recently I was a couple of days in the village and I was flying over the field where there is nothing and the thing is the same again.
simply unload the compass error and go uncontrollably to fly ... until now I had the luck so I managed to get it back every time but when I fly back, I fly with the fear of not returning it. And I'm looking at forums from other pilots' experiences that I'm not just a problem, so I would ask for help
P.S. sorry for spelling ... google translator;)
2018-5-21
Use props
Robstunner
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41483 ft

MavicMiles Posted at 2018-2-27 19:26
nope, no stickers   no other error messages either.  We've contacted the store we bought from and they are issuing an exchange   Happy spark flying soon!

Did your new one work better?
2018-7-15
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Robstunner Posted at 2018-7-15 11:41
Did your new one work better?

Hi, I would like to ask if you're having the same issue? Please keep us posted in any case you need our assistance.
2018-7-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules