I hate to be negative, but...
2645 21 2015-5-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Muleshoe2
lvl.2

United States

...this is the biggest cluster I have ever been sucked into and I'm 60-something, so I've seen a lot of companies do stupid things over the years. If your P3 is expected to be delivered a few weeks, consider yourself lucky.

DJI may need a few more engineers, but they desperately need to hire some marketing people who have some idea what customers want. I'm sick of their attitude: "we know consumers want our product so bad, we can do whatever we please and tell them to like it."

I can't believe this product was released with NONE of it's necessary support components available. It seems the only people who have a P3 in the sky as we near the product's one week availability are people who were already flying a P2 or something and who already had an app that was passable for use.

You can use (a few) Android devices, but there's no pilot simulator ready, YET.

You can use (a few) iOS devices, but NONE of that app is ready, YET.

You can have ONE battery.

Extra props? Not yet. Any accessories whatsoever? No, not yet. Any manufacturer knows you get EVERYthing ready before you introduce PART of a new system.

Do they really think we're all happily sitting on the couch holding a useless quad in our laps waiting for the rest of the product? Is DJI owned and operated by 12-year-olds?

What about any of the features that a newbie had a right to expect in an "improved" Phantom, like ground station, follow me, waypoints etc... "Well, MAYBE some teenager, somewhere in the world will write a program for some of those cool things we used to offer -- sometime in the future." Maybe they'll work. Maybe they won't. And who'll stand behind those products?

I should apologize for the rant, but good grief, I would have been glad to wait another month for them to deliver a P3 that was ready to be operational out of the box.

(Where's the Tylenol?)

2015-5-3
Use props
Rothgarr
lvl.2
Flight distance : 470663 ft
United States

No need to feel like you are being negative. You are frustrated and rightfully so. You also didn't "rant", you kept your words on a mature level.

I felt the same way. I held DJI up on a pedestal for the last year. I'm a die-hard Apple guy and I always likened DJI to Apple. And up until this morning I still gave DJI the benefit of the doubt -- I couldn't take it any longer and I posted a similar "rant" this morning:
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... age%3D1&lang=en

2015-5-3
Use props
johnmont250
lvl.3

United States

you both sound like little babies.   crying and complaining.    if you want flawless cutting edge tech, dont pre order it.  plenty of us have fun and fly daily, and don't cry when theres a problem.  theres a cheap phone work around
if you want to fly today. research it.
2015-5-3
Use props
ntfa
lvl.4

United States

I have mixed feelings on this.  One, is that I got the device in my hands now whereas waiting for the app would of taken more time.  I think I'd rather have it in my hands and wait for the app than waiting of the fed ex guy to deliver.   I was at best buy today.  Didn't plan on getting the moto G.  I did anyway and figured I'd have something to play MP3 or pandora at the office once It's use was over.  Not an android fan but I did get my bird working.  Flew it in the house for a bit but decided I needed more area and it made too much noise.   I mainly want to learn the menus and and play with camera function.  I was honest with best buy when I purchased it.  I asked that if I didn't care much for android, can I bring it back.  She said sure....within 14 days.  So I may take it back but I'm up and running.  I know, shouldn't have to do this. But it is what it is and and rather have it in hand.   But you are right about accessories.   One battery and then put it away and charge for an hour.  I'd rather have a couple of more to experiment with.
2015-5-3
Use props
Muleshoe2
lvl.2

United States

johnmont250@hot Posted at 2015-5-4 04:12
you both sound like little babies.   crying and complaining.    if you want flawless cutting edge te ...

At the price, I don't think it's too much to ask for the product to be delivered as advertised.

"Oh, well, you could go out and buy this or this and maybe it will work for you," is not a valid answer.

I have been a factory rep and know a little about product releases. Maybe "half-assed" works in your world. It doesn't cut it in mine.
2015-5-3
Use props
Muleshoe2
lvl.2

United States

Rothgarr Posted at 2015-5-4 04:04
No need to feel like you are being negative. You are frustrated and rightfully so. You also didn't " ...

I just read your thoughts you posted elsewhere. I agree completely with your desire to see better communication.

Better communication would be great from DJI. I am baffled that DJI can't get on here and explain their ideas on the problems so many are having. Your idea of a conciliatory offering is spot-on!

I appreciate the heck out of this forum, but I will be here several more weeks before I have an idea of which posters know what's going on and which don't. Recommendations for mobile devices have been varied and some, flat incorrect.

I appreciate all the people who post their experiences on youtube, but again, as a newbie, how do I know who knows the real deal?

I would have posted my rant in your thread had I seen it first. I don't want to fill this forum with anti-DJI rants; it is their site, after all! I just hope they monitor these threads and take some things to heart for their next roll-out.

My criticism of DJI is about things they just needed to think through better. As they mature as a company, they will adopt better strategies.

The founder of the company I used to work for said that in the beginning, he was a one-man show. "I could do all the engineering, all the welding, all the testing and proving. But the smartest thing I ever did was finally realizing I didn't know a damn thing about selling and I hired someone who did."
2015-5-3
Use props
FictitiousPerso
lvl.4
Flight distance : 303356 ft
Italy

Muleshoe2 Posted at 2015-5-4 04:29
At the price, I don't think it's too much to ask for the product to be delivered as advertised.

" ...

Totally agree with you Mule.
Welcome to DJI expansion lol (sale only!! i think)

If i was you i would find something else to occupy yourself, wait till the bugs are fixed or at least not so  many. I see a lot of people eager to get theirs in the air regardless of how they do it. Fingers crossed it stays in the air for them, but I'm grounding my new DJI products until they get their act together and some decent support.

Safe flying
2015-5-3
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

Welcome to the world of model aircraft!

When we were kids we sent up model rockets - they often didn't come down....at least not where we could find them. Some came down without the parachute.
We made balsa planes and go two flights out of them - on a string in a circle. Then they crashed - 100 hours of work down the drain.

I think it's hard to understand that camera quads have only existed for one year - and in a "decent" form for only about 6 months.

New buyers and users ARE being "sucked in" - not by DJI, but by both the media buzz and their own desires.

You cannot expect DJI to place in their marketing "Hey, this hobby is only for those with money, patience and high levels of technical ability". I've been in business my entire life and I never spent my marketing money on telling customers what is wrong with a product!

It would take about 10 minutes of internet research to understand where the hobby is - and even where DJI is. Due Diligence. The basics.
But people want to believe the following "I spent GOOD MONEY so this should just do everything I think it should NOW".

Heck, I bought my first IBM PC in 1982. $5500.
Do you know what it did for that price? That would be the equiv. of $20K today
When I turned it on it didn't even know the date or time. I had to enter them each time! Even after that it didn't do anything. For 15X the price of a DJI Phantom (figuring inflation).

It is what it is and the sooner new or potential buyers understand it, the happier they will be. Then they can make an informed decision about whether they want to enter this pursuit now - or perhaps wait the 3-5 years it will take for them to be to the expectations expressed in this thread and elsewhere.

NONE of us had simulators...over the past few years. You can download some free Android sims though - some for PC's and Macs too.

Keeping the P3 on the ground for another couple weeks is not a bad idea. I am breaking in my batteries and doing some conservative flying with a $29 android device I went to best buy and bought - because the IOS app is not available yet. This way I will at least know something about it when it is ready.

I didn't expect my unit to ship until the middle of May so I figure I am ahead of the game.

Again, it is what it is. No need to get upset or angry - just make a decision about whether it's for you (as it is). It's not going to change soon.
2015-5-3
Use props
bertschb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 16526 ft
United States

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-5-4 08:23

When we were kids we sent up model rockets - they often did ...

oops! Didn't mean to quote the previous post.

DJI can get away with their shortcomings because they've created an amazing product and there currently is almost no competition. I never owned a quadcopter until Thursday when my P3 arrived. I went to Best Buy the next day and bought the $30 Moto G. I've flown it numerous times over the past 3 days. It has worked perfectly and the photos and videos are stunning.

Nobody is forcing anybody to buy a DJI product. Does the customer service and marketing at DJI suck? Yes. Do I care? Not really because right now there is no other game in town. Until there is, I will keep buying DJI products knowing I'll get horrible support and also knowing I'll have to wait for all kinds of accessories, software and updates. I'm choosing to do business with DJI for now. However, the competition will catch up some day and if DJI doesn't get their house in order, they may be in trouble.
2015-5-3
Use props
flydronefly
lvl.3

United States

whats your point?
2015-5-3
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

"It seems the only people who have a P3 in the sky as we near the product's one week availability are people who were already flying a P2 or something and who already had an app that was passable for use. "

It seems you have a poor understanding of the situation.
Having flown a P2 doesn't help anyone get the app for a P3.
There's no app from the P2 that's compatible with the P3.
DJI made the updated P3 app available last week and ANYONE has been able to download it and fly if they are lucky enough to have a P3.
2015-5-3
Use props
ezracosby
lvl.1

United Kingdom

droneflyers.com Posted at 2015-5-4 08:23

When we were kids we sent up model rockets - they often did ...

Hahaha couldn't agree more with this post. I've flown R/C aircraft for years, it took practice and alot of crashes to learn. Hundreds of hours rebuilding. This hobby has all been about trial and error, learning to work the quirks out. I've been enjoying the quad copter craze over the last 3 years, and DJI has been the first company to streamline the process and make it user friendly. (RTH), ATTI mode, hahaha... amazing, I took me 2 weeks to learn to hover and land my first R/C Heli. Not really sure what my point was on here, just wanted to chime it. Be patient people. It's not all that bad.
2015-5-3
Use props
chrisongtj
lvl.1

Singapore

I'm a first time DJI customer and was quite upset that the iOS app was not ready. However somethings that impressed me/surprised me was:

Ease of use of pairing with phone/Tx
Android app works with my Galaxy Note 2 (quite an antique by today's standards)
Product in my experience (5 flights so far), works exactly as advertised. Very very stable, and I've been flying quads and helis for a while.
Incredibly fast 24hr chat support.

Don't always have these features with other RC products or gadgets.
2015-5-4
Use props
droneflyers.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 60709 ft
  • >>>
United States

The title of this thread reminds me of some Stevie Wonder lyrics that tell us the meaning of the word BUT.

"I've always come to the conclusion that 'but' is the way
Of asking for permission to lay something heavy on ones head"

2015-5-4
Use props
rickphelps
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8622 ft
United States

Muleshoe2 Posted at 2015-5-4 04:29

" ...

I could not agree more. This is not how you run a business. You put down $1300 or whatever, and find out, "Well, the app isn't available on IOS, or well the Director app isnt working either."

None of this makes sense. Don't release the damn bird until all the apps are available and work. This, well were working on it is nuts, and for amateurs.

I haven't purchased a P3 yet, and by the looks of things I am seriously thinking about the new Yuneec Q500+

They haven't any issue like this, and well are American based. There, I said it...lol
2015-5-4
Use props
rickphelps
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8622 ft
United States

FictitiousPerso Posted at 2015-5-4 04:55
Totally agree with you Mule.
Welcome to DJI expansion lol (sale only!! i think)

No one should be shelling out this kind of money, and hope that the kinks are worked out. Any respectable business doesn't release a product till its been tested, time and time again.

This isn't happening here. And it's not a first. DJI had all kinds of issues with the Inspire 1 firmware. They are in my mind just throwing these things in a box to make a sell.

Problem after problem, and the solution is wait till the kinks are worked out. Good grief. That isnt how you do business. There is no excuse for the IOS app not being available. How about my check won't be available till the app works, what you say about that..
2015-5-4
Use props
Muleshoe2
lvl.2

United States

Maybe it's partly a generational thing. I don't mind admitting I'm nearly as tech-savvy as I'd like to be. From reading threads today, I have a new round of things to try and am anxious to do so tonight.

Consider that for a second, though. Who is teaching me how to get around the company's shortcomings? The company? No.

I offer my thanks to all the good dji customers who are kind enough to share their knowledge.

2015-5-4
Use props
Sky Ninja
lvl.3

United States

johnmont250@hot Posted at 2015-5-4 04:12
you both sound like little babies.   crying and complaining.    if you want flawless cutting edge te ...

REALLY johnmount250?!!?
Why don't you, droneflyers.com and that gawd awful story about him buying that computer he keeps going on about in every post, go cuddle with eachother?!!? I'm sure you two can re-assure yourselves of how wonderful you are over a cup of Earl Grey and some ice-cream.

droneflyers.com- "I was flying in the main mode (switch to the right). I guess that's P-GPS." as was posted in your thread Lost and Found- P3 blew away but was found...YAY. A comment like that made by a professed expert could get one discredited quickly.

Mule, you have an absolute reason to be upset. You buy a unit, you pay your money and in return you've been given a "temporarily faulty unit" without your knowledge or authorization then, told to be patient when it doesn't work as promised and advertised. Hmmmm....how dare you be upset and voice your opinion. (he types being sarcastic) The knuckle head 'fan boys' who would rather drol out brow beatings and degrading comments really don't understand product marketing. Instead, they sit around talking about how wonderful they are on a forum that is meant to advise in a positve manner. Sure it's a cool tech, it's had issues but, after 3 years of doing the same thing, you'd have thought you could trust the brand to do as advertised by being RTF with minor updates installed.
I wonder if DJI would consider sending out all orders made with the stipulation that the consumer not pay, until said unit performs as marketed? They wouldn't and it's crazy to think otherwise.

My point is this, don't let them steal your thunder Mule. Instead, when all is sorted out and you are up in the air buzzing around, the awe of "how cool is that" will take over and you will once again find that inner kid we all discover upon lift off. Hope you're flying soon buddy.

And remember, read through your manual and identify your remote switches/toggles so that you don't type something prolific like, "...I was flying in the main mode (switch to the right). I guess that's P-GPS..." made by a person writing manuals on how to fly/control your Phantom series. No really, I'm being serious on that one.
2015-5-4
Use props
Michael Starley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2812 ft
United States

Mulshoe..Take droneflyers.com with a grain of salt.That user name is his way of advertising his forum(Wich He Makes Money From DJI By Advertising For Them).DJI calls it the Affiliate Program.I have learned some valuable knowledge from him though.Having cleared that up droneflyers.com will always chastise adverse threads.Still do not understand why the Admin allow him to do so.Forum rules dictate that he is in violation.According to forum rules a member in the affifliate program is not allowed to advertise his site through a link.Wether it be signature or jpeg image.Type droneflyers.com into a search engine and you go straight to his website.Maybe admin will catch it one day.For now, just tolerate him and learn.He is smart..just has his own agenda.
2015-5-5
Use props
Muleshoe2
lvl.2

United States

No worries. I have thick skin. I will fly this thing. Haha!

Thanks to customers' explanations in this forum, I'm slowly getting my act together. I'm in no great hurry for my first flight; I want to have things correct first.

I'm certainly not going to rush out and crank it up as long as every day I get on here and say to myself, "Oh, wow, I'm glad somebody mentioned THAT!"
2015-5-5
Use props
Sky Ninja
lvl.3

United States

Muleshoe2 Posted at 2015-5-6 02:08
No worries. I have thick skin. I will fly this thing. Haha!

Thanks to customers' explanations in th ...

You bet you'll fly and fly well, you will. I agree with your frustration however, support your enthusiasm even more. Can't wait to see some of your pictures!
2015-5-5
Use props
Michael Starley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2812 ft
United States

If you have not done so already,pour over any and all info pertaining to phantom 2s and 3s on you tube.There is a very good resource  on you tube...On The Kitchen Table with Simon Newton...Great source of info.      I fly a phantom 2 and will be glad to help whenever I can.Welcome to the flock.
2015-5-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules