10006 64 2018-2-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RobertW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 41818 ft
  • >>>
United States

After flying the Mavic Air for about 2 weeks I could not figure out the following problem:  the footage is quite choppy ( I dont know if this is the right term) during turning the quad, even if turning very slow. My settings are: 2720 x 1530, 60fps, Exp: automatic, ( I have tried manual exposure but ended up with the same results) Cinema mode, Sunny mode, no filter.

I'm sure this has nothing to do with  the craft, it's properly me being to dumb to adjust to the right camera settings.   

Please see the YouTube upload at: Especially on the end of the video (from minute 2.16 to the end) you can see what I'm talking about.

Any ideas ??? Thank you

2018-2-28
Use props
LookAt_Wictim
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2621982 ft
Slovakia

use nd filters?
2018-2-28
Use props
FlyDK
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1636286 ft
Denmark

If you recorded in 2720x1530 at 60 fps, there should be no choppy movements at that yaw speed.

Does your original video do the same, or did the problem occur after editing?

Your YT video has been uploaded in 1080p but is not 60fps. Just the fact that you chose to export, at a different fps than the original, I think could create the issues you have shown. Your choice of editing software of course also can have an impact.

I'm in no way an expert... still learning.
2018-2-28
Use props
Kloo Gee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

First question is whether the original footage has the same issue.  As FlyDK mentioned, exporting it at a different resolution and frame rate can cause some issues.  Also whatever settings are chosen on the export can also influence it drastically due to compression and the like.  So checking back to the the original footage is important.  Can you supply the original file via Dropbox or similar?

Also, what was your shutter speed?  To get the smoothest looking movement, your shutter speed should be set at twice the frame rate to get smooth motion blur on moving objects.  Since you were using 60fps, your shutter speed should have been set at 120 or very close to that.  Since it was a very bright sunny day, unless you were using an ND filter, my guess is that your shutter speed was jacked up really high in order to have proper exposure.  This can result in the choppy movements seen in your video.

Check out the following video I made on this topic.  The example with the fans in the video demonstrates why the shutter speed is so important.

p.s. The video was made using the Spark, but the same concept applies to all video cameras including the Mavic Air and Mavic Pro.

2018-2-28
Use props
RobertW
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I use Vegas 12 pro for editing but I did not edit anything other then cutting and inserting the music.
The original footage is the same.
As stated, the camera setting was in auto and I have no ND filters yet.
Sorry, I deleted the original already, but the shutter speed could be the problem, since in auto mode I have not even checked on it.
So I guess, I have to invest in ND filters which brings me to the next question:
Polar pro or FSLabs (they are allot cheaper for 6 filters vs Polar Pro Shutter Collection - Cinema Series 3 filter set).
Thank you so much for your input, I'm pretty new to this hobby
BTW, Kloo Gee, I love your channel and have watched almost all of your videos
2018-2-28
Use props
FlyDK
Second Officer
Denmark

Yes, shutter speed maybe also can cause the problem. But whatever, you should check your export settings. It's ok to choose a smaller resolution, but fps should, as far as I know, be the same.

ND filters are of course your choice, but Polarpro is well known for its very good quality.

Another thing I came to think about was whether your recording was stored on internal memory or on an SD card? If on SD card choose a good, fast card - especially for Air.
2018-2-28
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Few things.....def shutter speed look into....and what is your sdcard speed? U will need a u3 for the air
2018-2-28
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

RobertW Posted at 2018-2-28 15:37
I use Vegas 12 pro for editing but I did not edit anything other then cutting and inserting the music.
The original footage is the same.
As stated, the camera setting was in auto and I have no ND filters yet.

What framerate did you shoot and what framerate did you render in?
2018-2-28
Use props
RobertW
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thank you all for your input.
It was stored on a 32 gb SanDisk extrem V30 U3 A1 that should be sufficient for the Mavic.
The clip was shoot in 60 fps and rendered in 29 fps.
Here is another clip it shows even more the problems. Setting is the same and rendering was made in 29 fps.

2018-3-1
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

I'll leave it to those who know more to talk about camera settings.  But one thing I'd recommend is to slow down your yaws (sideways revolves).  Use two fingers on the stick - one at the base to limit how far you can push the stick, and the other on the stick doing that pushing.
2018-3-1
Use props
RobertW
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Actually I try to  yaw as slow as possible (I know in this case I did it too fast) but even at a slow yaw I keep getting the same results.
2018-3-1
Use props
Half Chrome
lvl.2
Flight distance : 18612 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have seen the same thing and it seemed much more pronounced than anything I have seen on the Phantom 3, Mavic Pro, Phantom 4, or Spark. It might be time to experiment with ND on the Air. This is also the first time I have recorded much in 4K.  I am starting to wonder if there is something strange with the yaw gimbal stabilization. I would (and I will) experiment with gimbal up/down motion at similar speeds as yaw. If the same effect exists then it is video settings / frame rate / editing, as others have noted. If it doesn't exist in pitch camera adjustments then there may be something goofy with the gimbal stabilization in the Air's firmware.
2018-3-1
Use props
TroutboyNZ
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1726486 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

Is your card the real thing, that is exact the symptom of a low speed card, did you buy it off eBay by chance? Set yaw movement to about 50 and try that.
2018-3-1
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
United States

Thats what i said either shutter speed or u show signs of a slow card
2018-3-1
Use props
RobertW
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

As I have said, It was stored on a 32 gb SanDisk extrem V30 U3 A1. I purchased the card at Amazon and I don't think they are selling fake cards.
I have not tried the gimbal up/down motion, but thanks for the tip, I'll try it today.
2018-3-2
Use props
RobertW
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Half Chrome Posted at 2018-3-1 17:38
I have seen the same thing and it seemed much more pronounced than anything I have seen on the Phantom 3, Mavic Pro, Phantom 4, or Spark. It might be time to experiment with ND on the Air. This is also the first time I have recorded much in 4K.  I am starting to wonder if there is something strange with the yaw gimbal stabilization. I would (and I will) experiment with gimbal up/down motion at similar speeds as yaw. If the same effect exists then it is video settings / frame rate / editing, as others have noted. If it doesn't exist in pitch camera adjustments then there may be something goofy with the gimbal stabilization in the Air's firmware.

I have not tried the gimbal up/down motion, but thanks for the tip, I'll try it today.
2018-3-2
Use props
RobertW
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

TroutboyNZ Posted at 2018-3-1 17:45
Is your card the real thing, that is exact the symptom of a low speed card, did you buy it off eBay by chance? Set yaw movement to about 50 and try that.

As I have said, It was stored on a 32 gb SanDisk extrem V30 U3 A1. I purchased the card at Amazon and I don't think they are selling fake cards.
2018-3-2
Use props
RobertW
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I have checked the original footage from the sd card and surprise, surprise, the video looks much better.  I guess the choppiness occurs during editing.  Does anybody uses Sony Vegas pro 12 for editing??
If so, can you please tell me the settings you use.
Thank you.
2018-3-2
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

RobertW Posted at 2018-3-1 09:04
Thank you all for your input.
It was stored on a 32 gb SanDisk extrem V30 U3 A1 that should be sufficient for the Mavic.
The clip was shoot in 60 fps and rendered in 29 fps.

Sorry, to me this looks like the cached video in GO 4 but by no way like the original footage from the SD card. How and where to have you exported the original footage?
2018-3-2
Use props
RobertW
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

FlyDK Posted at 2018-2-28 14:41
If you recorded in 2720x1530 at 60 fps, there should be no choppy movements at that yaw speed.

Does your original video do the same, or did the problem occur after editing?

Thank you for your input.
I could not find a solution to render 60 fps in Vegas pro, the only available settings are 24, 25, 29 fps
2018-3-2
Use props
RobertW
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-2 09:54
Sorry, to me this looks like the cached video in GO 4 but by no way like the original footage from the SD card. How and where to have you exported the original footage?

Thank you for your reply. I have not uploaded the original footage from the sd card to YouTube, the uploaded clip is rendered with Sony Vegas.
2018-3-2
Use props
KREMi
lvl.4
  • >>>
Poland

edit: I see in YT description vegas pro 12, even old ones allows to pick framerate on rendering without problems.
to clarify what is faulty, upload movie without any changes (so that one from card) to Youtube, it allows a 60fps vid - then we will know it's too slow card, or you mess something in edit
and honestly - if from a dynamic scene in 60fps video You are cuting every 2nd frame (that's basicly what You do when going from 60>30fps) it must be more choppy then pre-edit!

2018-3-2
Use props
RobertW
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Here is the clip rendered with Vegas Pro 12
rendering settings:
MainConcept AVC/AAC - Internet HD1080
2720x1530, 59.940 fps
2018-3-2
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

RobertW Posted at 2018-3-2 10:04
Thank you for your reply. I have not uploaded the original footage from the sd card to YouTube, the uploaded clip is rendered with Sony Vegas.

Sorry again, but you have not answered my question. Please do what our dear fellow pilot KREMi is suggesting here above but please make sure that you use the original footage directly from your SD card, not via your mobile device! Thank you, thereafter we might be able to help you further.
2018-3-2
Use props
RobertW
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-2 12:59
Sorry again, but you have not answered my question. Please do what our dear fellow pilot KREMi is suggesting here above but please make sure that you use the original footage directly from your SD card, not via your mobile device! Thank you, thereafter we might be able to help you further.

Thank you for your reply. I do have the original footage downloaded from the sd card to my computer, unfortunately, after importing it I formatted the card, so the only copy is on my computer.
The clip is about 3.5 GB and don't know how to cut it without a rendering software.
2018-3-2
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

RobertW Posted at 2018-3-2 13:07
Thank you for your reply. I do have the original footage downloaded from the sd card to my computer, unfortunately, after importing it I formatted the card, so the only copy is on my computer.
The clip is about 3.5 GB and don't know how to cut it without a rendering software.

That is ok, just upload it to Youtube as it is without any handling. Will take some time (especially for Youtube to process) but it is worth the effort to find out where your problem is located (e.g. with Mavic Air, or with the software or settings you are using).
2018-3-2
Use props
RobertW
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-2 13:11
That is ok, just upload it to Youtube as it is without any handling. Will take some time (especially for Youtube to process) but it is worth the effort to find out where your problem is located (e.g. with Mavic Air, or with the software or settings you are using).

Ok, I'm uploading right now, it will take some time Thank you
2018-3-2
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

RobertW Posted at 2018-3-2 13:42
Ok, I'm uploading right now, it will take some time Thank you

You are welcome! As mentioned I believe it will help to come to the root of the problem. But after the upload, processing on Youtube will also take some time. I'll try to stay awake until it is finished. Should I not manage, I shall provide my feedback tomorrow. And I am sure that in the meanwhile others will be able to jump in for feedback.
2018-3-2
Use props
RobertW
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Thank you so much. I appreciate your help. There is no rush.
2018-3-2
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

RobertW Posted at 2018-3-2 13:52
Thank you so much. I appreciate your help. There is no rush.

I'll wait some more time because I am really curious myself, don't worry :-)
2018-3-2
Use props
RobertW
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Right now I'm at 44 % upoad
2018-3-2
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

RobertW Posted at 2018-3-2 13:58
Right now I'm at 44 % upoad

Ok, maybe in 30 minutes the video will be ready for publishing on Youtube then if all goes well. Good luck!
2018-3-2
Use props
FlyDK
Second Officer
Denmark

You don't have to upload the entire footage originally recorded to your SD card. Just a small 20-30 sec. clip from that. Take a look at this thread how to do that. - https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=137159
2018-3-2
Use props
$gambino$
lvl.4
United States

Yup just uploading right to youtube should still retain most of its quality... point is this is the original footage and it's not handled through some other software
2018-3-2
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

It should be soon finished, just let him do what he has started. This way we can be sure that there has been no other interference.
2018-3-2
Use props
FlyDK
Second Officer
Denmark

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-2 14:23
It should be soon finished, just let him do what he has started. This way we can be sure that there has been no other interference.

Of course, but it's a waste of time to upload this much when a lot less could be more than enough.
2018-3-2
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

FlyDK Posted at 2018-3-2 14:27
Of course, but it's a waste of time to upload this much when a lot less could be more than enough.

I agree, but in this case it seems to be the safest way to exclude any interference in order to come to the root of the problem.
2018-3-2
Use props
RobertW
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Ok, its finally uploaded. Here is the url:  

Thank you again !!!!
2018-3-2
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

RobertW Posted at 2018-3-2 14:34
Ok, its finally uploaded. Here is the url:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtgo4K1TqxE&feature=youtu.be

Thank you again !!!!

Not yet ready I fear or wrong link. Please check again, thank you!
2018-3-2
Use props
FlyDK
Second Officer
Denmark

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-2 14:30
I agree, but in this case it seems to be the safest way to exclude any interference in order to come to the root of the problem.

I understand that, completely. But VLC player don't edit as such - it simply copies a clip of the original video, from one selected point to another, and automatically saves it to the hard drive. It can not be done in an easier way. The only thing I doubt a little is whether it can be carried out in 4k.
2018-3-2
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules