Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Your first DJI Drone?
772 11 2018-2-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BluesDragon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 634291 ft
United States

I just want to put this out there for everyone getting their first DJI drone. Regardless of which model series you now own. Please... please take the time to sit down and familiarize yourself with all the settings in the DJI Go4 app... before you lift off on your maiden voyage. This will save you a whole lot of heartache and reduce the "lost drone" threads in here quite considerably. Go through each setting and be to sure set your RTH limits (I like to keep mine returning at an altitude high enough to clear all trees, towers, or anything that can hinder it's path on it's return. Set what you want it to do should it encounter and obstacle in it's path. This is a setting you may want to change for each location you are flying in and around. Also be aware of wind direction, especially in higher wind conditions. Fly out into the wind so that your return will not be fighting it with lower battery percentage. This will, almost, guarantee a safe return every time. due diligence goes a long way to keep your bird safe and many more enjoyable flights.

Please don't feel any of ya are being harped upon here. Just yesterday I met a new MPP pilot down at my local flying club field. He was from out of state, on visit, and had an issue with his drone and when he heard I owned the MP asked for my assistance. I'm so glad he did. I sat him down and walked him through the settings explaining as much as I've learned from study and experience. What got me was his comment, "I've never even seen these settings". He had been flying for just over a week. When I first got my MP I too was freaked out by all the 'fly away' and 'just fell out of the sky' threads. I've since learned most of which are due to pilot error for just not taking the time to setup their bird before flying. Not only that, but stay on top of your pre-flight check list. Always.... always check your props before every flight. Are they chipped, cracked, seated properly? I don't care if they're brand new! I've made this mistake myself. Installed a new set of props, right out of the box, and from then lost my pretty green flash to a scary set of yellow flashes. After trying to figure it out myself, a member here, or at Mavic Pilots forum, explained the I was misunderstanding the flash code. Turned out two of the props from that brand new box where not correct. They looked right at first glance, but the numbers where wrong. Swapped them out and all was good again. Just paying it forward here...

These birds are not the $40. toys you find at your local Wally World. If you value it and really want to get the best out of it, just take your time, study, learn, don't do like me and slack up on your pre-fligh check before every flight. No matter how comfortable and confident you get.

Be Safe and Enjoy!
2018-2-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

No, my 7th. Good advice in your post.
2018-2-28
Use props
Mullheliflier
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good advice BluesDragon. It is sad to see so many people crashing or losing their drones through not fully understanding how they and the apps work.  Hopefully your advice will save them grief and let them enjoy the wonderful machines that DJI have given us.
2018-2-28
Use props
Wyke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33166 ft
United Kingdom

The Air is my first DJI drone but I’ve flown RC helicopters, my last being an Align Trex. It’s nice flying something stable after that Good advice above. I didn’t take my Air out for over a week after getting it. Too terrified of losing it after all  the posts I’d read, so I wanted to make sure I really knew the Air, software and every sub-menu first.
2018-2-28
Use props
rikk08
First Officer
Flight distance : 21877946 ft
  • >>>
Malta

Mavic pro was my first ever drone I've owned, but I've already had 3 different ones in one year. Best piece of equipment I've ever owned though!
2018-2-28
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

A CW Posted at 2018-2-28 12:34
No, my 7th. Good advice in your post.

You have a good wife
2018-2-28
Use props
BluesDragon
lvl.4
Flight distance : 634291 ft
United States

Wyke Posted at 2018-2-28 13:05
The Air is my first DJI drone but I’ve flown RC helicopters, my last being an Align Trex. It’s nice flying something stable after that  Good advice above. I didn’t take my Air out for over a week after getting it. Too terrified of losing it after all  the posts I’d read, so I wanted to make sure I really knew the Air, software and every sub-menu first.

That's how was too. Watched every video I could find on settings and was still in fear of losing it. Mostly from all the scary threads. When I did finally put 'er up, I kept 'er low and just flew figure eights and what nots until I was more comfortable with my thumbs. Even today I still get nervous when she's up around 350-400'.
2018-2-28
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

She’s amazing mini p
2018-2-28
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Thanks for sharing with us these tips, especially some new pilots. All of us are keeping learning and sharing.
2018-2-28
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Great info thanks for sharing
2018-2-28
Use props
StanfordWebbie
lvl.4
Flight distance : 178018 ft
United States

My only worry is that the newbies who don't read the manual also won't read this thread.  ;)
2018-2-28
Use props
GoldenSun
Second Officer
Flight distance : 681903 ft
Poland

StanfordWebbie Posted at 2018-2-28 22:06
My only worry is that the newbies who don't read the manual also won't read this thread.  ;)

You may have a point...
2018-3-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules