Help I lost control of my DJI Mavic Air
4545 35 2018-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
djiuser_q0w9k0fk8TAq
lvl.2
Flight distance : 122159 ft
Netherlands

I just went out to fly my DJI Air There were no people about and the temperature had picked up.... it has been below zero. I wanted to get a quick photo of the surrounding area.

We have had a record level of snow.

The sun was out and conditions were good apart from a little wind.

There were no warnings or problems so I put the aircraft up almost as soon as it took off I lost control it flew off at speed almost like sports mode and it went down.

Total panic but there were no people in the area.

I got into the app and for the next hour I searched. The app saved my drone it had hit a tree busted propellers and went a foot under the snow.

All this time it was transmitting its location. It was still so difficult to find as there were many trees. The app took me straight to the location but there was around about 4 feet of snow. I have replaced 3 propellers and re calibrated the aircraft as well as compass etc.

This has scared me big time I was taking no risks as I had filmed in slightly poorer conditions yesterday with no problems.

Its a pilots worst nightmare to lose complete control. Although there was snow on the ground conditions were not bad.

Is there anybody can help me to establish what the problem was?

I would be very grateful for a step by step guide on how i send the flight log and who I send it too

The Air is fine camera functioning and all connections working. All the time it was buried in the snow it kept sending me its exact location and I was able to retreive it.

2018-3-1
Use props
MiniPalourde
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7 ft
Canada

Please follow the instructions and upload your flight log on Phantom Help: http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/
2018-3-1
Use props
djiuser_q0w9k0fk8TAq
lvl.2
Netherlands

MiniPalourde Posted at 2018-3-1 05:12
Please follow the instructions and upload your flight log on Phantom Help: http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload/

I keep getting site not available I have the log
2018-3-1
Use props
Wyke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 33166 ft
United Kingdom

djiuser_q0w9k0fk8TAq Posted at 2018-3-1 05:52
I keep getting site not available I have the log

The link works, I’ve just tried. Try closing your browser and starting again
2018-3-1
Use props
djiuser_q0w9k0fk8TAq
lvl.2
Netherlands

Wyke Posted at 2018-3-1 05:53
The link works, I’ve just tried. Try closing your browser and starting again

thanks will do
2018-3-1
Use props
Neroangelo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7441 ft
United Kingdom

Were you near anything that could cause interference?
2018-3-1
Use props
djiuser_q0w9k0fk8TAq
lvl.2
Netherlands

Neroangelo Posted at 2018-3-1 08:47
Were you near anything that could cause interference?

No in all honesty I was outside my house I had set the landing area there were no warnings it was cold though I am sending my log at the moment via the DJI Go ap its taking its time but I have uploaded it to dropbox an have the link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8iz9vb ... 1_13-48-14.DAT?dl=0
2018-3-1
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
Germany

djiuser_q0w9k0fk8TAq Posted at 2018-3-1 09:05
No in all honesty I was outside my house I had set the landing area there were no warnings it was cold though I am sending my log at the moment via the DJI Go ap its taking its time but I have uploaded it to dropbox an have the link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8iz9vbxd3eqfaml/DJI_ASSISTANT_EXPORT_FILE_2018-03-01_13-48-14.DAT?dl=0

This is not the flightrecord. You'll find it on your mobile device in a DJI subfolder named "Flightrecord".
2018-3-1
Use props
djiuser_q0w9k0fk8TAq
lvl.2
Netherlands

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-1 09:51
This is not the flightrecord. You'll find it on your mobile device in a DJI subfolder named "Flightrecord".

Thanks for this its trial and error
2018-3-1
Use props
djiuser_q0w9k0fk8TAq
lvl.2
Netherlands

djiuser_q0w9k0fk8TAq Posted at 2018-3-1 09:56
Thanks for this its trial and error

got it and uploaded
2018-3-1
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

That's fine, and when will you share the link to it? ;-)
2018-3-1
Use props
djiuser_q0w9k0fk8TAq
lvl.2
Netherlands

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kjb8n9 ... 9-18-22%5D.txt?dl=0
2018-3-1
Use props
djiuser_q0w9k0fk8TAq
lvl.2
Netherlands

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-1 10:34

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kjb8n9 ... 9-18-22%5D.txt?dl=0
2018-3-1
Use props
djiuser_q0w9k0fk8TAq
lvl.2
Netherlands

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-1 10:34

I must apologize getting to grips with uploads and log files is a steep learning curb
2018-3-1
Use props
djiuser_q0w9k0fk8TAq
lvl.2
Netherlands

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-1 09:51
This is not the flightrecord. You'll find it on your mobile device in a DJI subfolder named "Flightrecord".

http://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/7ESC470X3PL13WKOOM9G/
2018-3-1
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

Here we go, thank you. This is an extremely easy one. Zero GPS explains it all. Your AC was just taken away by the wind from first moment airborne. Quite breathtaking to take off in such a condition. You need to wait until you have at least 11 satellites linked up and the message that homepoint was recorded. Never take off before that.
2018-3-1
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Yes agreed, pilot error 100% for taking off with 0 satellites gps.  But you live and learn and this is just a lesson, happy flying in future.
2018-3-1
Use props
djiuser_q0w9k0fk8TAq
lvl.2
Netherlands

M2Wair Posted at 2018-3-1 10:52
Yes agreed, pilot error 100% for taking off with 0 gps.  But you live and learn and this is just a lesson, happy flying in future.

Wow thanks its a valuable lesson I wont ever do that again careless thank goodness I am in a great community. You do live and learn. I've been putting in loads of flights and I need to put this at the top of the checks. Cannot thank you enough for responding to this. It is so appreciated.
2018-3-1
Use props
djiuser_q0w9k0fk8TAq
lvl.2
Netherlands

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-1 10:46
Here we go, thank you. This is an extremely easy one. Zero GPS explains it all. Your AC was just taken away by the wind from first moment airborne. Quite breathtaking to take off in such a condition. You need to wait until you have at least 11 satellites linked up and the message that homepoint was recorded. Never take off before that.

I know its a serious lesson learned. I took for granted a location I have used on many occasions. I was an idiot not checking this could have been so serious. It is a lesson I wont forget, I am so grateful for you getting back to offer guidance. I cannot thank you enough I am in your debt I am usually so careful and I feel so bad that I was so very stupid. Any time I fly there are never people or obstacles and that is one thing. Many thanks you are amazing for helping me to recognize this for the future. It will never happen again
2018-3-1
Use props
djiuser_q0w9k0fk8TAq
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-1 10:46
Here we go, thank you. This is an extremely easy one. Zero GPS explains it all. Your AC was just taken away by the wind from first moment airborne. Quite breathtaking to take off in such a condition. You need to wait until you have at least 11 satellites linked up and the message that homepoint was recorded. Never take off before that.

Thanks so much for the valuable advice it is a valuable lesson I will make sure I never replicate this it was utter stupidity and I will make sure that I ensure it never happens again. Cannot thank you enough for taking the time out to provide your valuable knowledge on what this idiot did wrong. Taking the care to get back to me is so much appreciated and I wont forget your kindness
2018-3-1
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Ever since my P3A lost its brains and flopped over upside down and propelled itself into my concrete driveway, I have a little procedure to go through when I launch.  I start it on the ground and let it sit until all is stable on the screen, looking through menus to see that everything is set properly.  After that, I'll launch a few feet in the air and check battery temperature if it is cold out.  I'll let it hover until the battery temp gets to around 26.  I do some low speed maneuvering back and forth a few feet and up and down, just to see that each direction is stable, especially when hovering.  Then I go fly.  While flying in cold, never jump into sport mode and hit the throttle.  The battery can have a cell fail and shut the whole thing down without warning.  Fly gently, like you would a car when starting it cold.  When it warms up, you can get a little more aggressive with it.  It's an expensive "toy" to get careless with.  It is an aircraft and you are the pilot, responsible for its safe operation, etc.

Also note that your incoming video is stable when your antennas are properly aligned with the drone at somewhat short range.  I had mine look like it had iffy signal, even though it was within 100 feet of me once or twice.  I landed immediately and shut EVERYTHING down completely, and then rebooted every device.  All was stable after that.  Be forewarned - unreasonably unstable video from the drone, or any erratic behavior should cause you to land immediately and do something about it, even if it is only a reboot.

Take care and enjoy flying safely.
2018-3-1
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

djiuser_q0w9k0fk8TAq Posted at 2018-3-1 11:21
I know its a serious lesson learned. I took for granted a location I have used on many occasions. I was an idiot not checking this could have been so serious. It is a lesson I wont forget, I am so grateful for you getting back to offer guidance. I cannot thank you enough I am in your debt I am usually so careful and I feel so bad that I was so very stupid. Any time I fly there are never people or obstacles and that is one thing. Many thanks you are amazing for helping me to recognize this for the future. It will never happen again

Hi, first of all I am very happy that all has ended well! No harm done to anyone nor your wonderful MA. Just get the habit of a careful pre flight check on all systems and all will be hopefully well in the future. I wish you always happy landings!
2018-3-1
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-3-1 11:46
Ever since my P3A lost its brains and flopped over upside down and propelled itself into my concrete driveway, I have a little procedure to go through when I launch.  I start it on the ground and let it sit until all is stable on the screen, looking through menus to see that everything is set properly.  After that, I'll launch a few feet in the air and check battery temperature if it is cold out.  I'll let it hover until the battery temp gets to around 26.  I do some low speed maneuvering back and forth a few feet and up and down, just to see that each direction is stable, especially when hovering.  Then I go fly.  While flying in cold, never jump into sport mode and hit the throttle.  The battery can have a cell fail and shut the whole thing down without warning.  Fly gently, like you would a car when starting it cold.  When it warms up, you can get a little more aggressive with it.  It's an expensive "toy" to get careless with.  It is an aircraft and you are the pilot, responsible for its safe operation, etc.

Also note that your incoming video is stable when your antennas are properly aligned with the drone at somewhat short range.  I had mine look like it had iffy signal, even though it was within 100 feet of me once or twice.  I landed immediately and shut EVERYTHING down completely, and then rebooted every device.  All was stable after that.  Be forewarned - unreasonably unstable video from the drone, or any erratic behavior should cause you to land immediately and do something about it, even if it is only a reboot.

Words of Wisdom here, never take flight until you here "Home Point has been updated, Please check it on the map" no poetry=no fly.
2018-3-1
Use props
djiuser_q0w9k0fk8TAq
lvl.2
Netherlands

QuadKid Posted at 2018-3-1 12:49
Words of Wisdom here, never take flight until you here "Home Point has been updated, Please check it on the map" no poetry=no fly.

Absolutely thanks for all the words of wisdom on here its much appreciated and a sound lesson
2018-3-1
Use props
djiuser_q0w9k0fk8TAq
lvl.2
Netherlands

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-1 12:41
Hi, first of all I am very happy that all has ended well! No harm done to anyone nor your wonderful MA. Just get the habit of a careful pre flight check on all systems and all will be hopefully well in the future. I wish you always happy landings!

Thank you so much
2018-3-1
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Germany

You are most welcome! :-)
2018-3-1
Use props
djiuser_q0w9k0fk8TAq
lvl.2
Netherlands

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-3-1 11:46
Ever since my P3A lost its brains and flopped over upside down and propelled itself into my concrete driveway, I have a little procedure to go through when I launch.  I start it on the ground and let it sit until all is stable on the screen, looking through menus to see that everything is set properly.  After that, I'll launch a few feet in the air and check battery temperature if it is cold out.  I'll let it hover until the battery temp gets to around 26.  I do some low speed maneuvering back and forth a few feet and up and down, just to see that each direction is stable, especially when hovering.  Then I go fly.  While flying in cold, never jump into sport mode and hit the throttle.  The battery can have a cell fail and shut the whole thing down without warning.  Fly gently, like you would a car when starting it cold.  When it warms up, you can get a little more aggressive with it.  It's an expensive "toy" to get careless with.  It is an aircraft and you are the pilot, responsible for its safe operation, etc.

Also note that your incoming video is stable when your antennas are properly aligned with the drone at somewhat short range.  I had mine look like it had iffy signal, even though it was within 100 feet of me once or twice.  I landed immediately and shut EVERYTHING down completely, and then rebooted every device.  All was stable after that.  Be forewarned - unreasonably unstable video from the drone, or any erratic behavior should cause you to land immediately and do something about it, even if it is only a reboot.

Thanks I read through every word and I will take your great advice forward it is much appreciated
2018-3-1
Use props
Burg54
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19449 ft
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-1 12:41
Hi, first of all I am very happy that all has ended well! No harm done to anyone nor your wonderful MA. Just get the habit of a careful pre flight check on all systems and all will be hopefully well in the future. I wish you always happy landings!

New MA owner here. My first quad and lots to learn. I wish that there was a detailed pre flight check list on the Go4 app that you could enable. I could see that helping us new pilots out alot.
2018-3-1
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

I am sorry for the mishap. For this case, I would recommend sending the drone in and an overall check, and we will help to make data analysis for this accident to make the thing clear. Please contact our support to start a case: http://www.dji.com/support
2018-3-1
Use props
djiuser_q0w9k0fk8TAq
lvl.2
Netherlands

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-3-1 19:09
I am sorry for the mishap. For this case, I would recommend sending the drone in and an overall check, and we will help to make data analysis for this accident to make the thing clear. Please contact our support to start a case: http://www.dji.com/support

Hi there I have had a chance to fly the Mavic Air and all was well. I will keep an eye and do all the checks but it does look that it was my error. if there are any problems I will be back in touch.
2018-3-4
Use props
djiuser_q0w9k0fk8TAq
lvl.2
Netherlands

This is a great Forum and so very supportive I have been getting a good deal of flying hours in since the mishap and I'm glad to report all of your advice has been put into use. It is an incredible piece of technical wizardry. The DJI Air is capturing some incredible film and photographs I just cant get away with how return to home means it lands exactly at the point it left on my landing pad. My youtube channel is WeeAirDrone and it is a tribute to everyone involved in the development of the Air
2018-3-7
Use props
Tom Brown
lvl.1

United Kingdom

I had exactly the same issue today (very same story, except the snow). I have checked the flight log, but had good GPS signal. It hit the ground (bush) at 6m/s, but luckily no damage other than broken props.

I can see from the stick log that it wasn't my flight control input that caused it.

Recalibrated the Mavic Air. It's flying ok now, but i'm nervous to use it again....
2018-3-26
Use props
djiuser_q0w9k0fk8TAq
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Tom Brown Posted at 2018-3-26 10:06
I had exactly the same issue today (very same story, except the snow). I have checked the flight log, but had good GPS signal. It hit the ground (bush) at 6m/s, but luckily no damage other than broken props.

I can see from the stick log that it wasn't my flight control input that caused it.

It's a worry but I have had no more instances of loss of control. I do a test before each flight I switch the air on and wait for satellites, Once I have 12 or above I put it up about 8 feet and land it straight away. This is for my piece of mind. A short safety check. It has been flying without any problems apart from once when the wind picked up as I was landing it and it blew off course slightly. I took over manually and there was no issue getting it down. it does knock your confidence when something unforeseen happens.

I hope you get over the problem and you get the air back up there
2018-3-26
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer

djiuser_q0w9k0fk8TAq Posted at 2018-3-7 06:09
This is a great Forum and so very supportive I have been getting a good deal of flying hours in since the mishap and I'm glad to report all of your advice has been put into use. It is an incredible piece of technical wizardry. The DJI Air is capturing some incredible film and photographs I just cant get away with how return to home means it lands exactly at the point it left on my landing pad. My youtube channel is WeeAirDrone and it is a tribute to everyone involved in the development of the Air

Just had a look at your channel and have subscribed. Keep up your great work, you definitely have your heart in the right place!
2018-3-26
Use props
djiuser_q0w9k0fk8TAq
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-3-26 11:56
Just had a look at your channel and have subscribed. Keep up your great work, you definitely have your heart in the right place!

Thanks so much for subscribing its much appreciated.
2018-3-26
Use props
cspain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

If you want more peace of mind, you could learn how to fly a quadcopter/drone that does not fly itself like the Mavic Air. Example, a cheap indoor quad:

http://a.co/07sFmGm

If you learn to control that, you might have a better chance of reacting if your Air stops flying itself for some reason. Don't rely on headless mode btw.

2018-3-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules