iPhone X user requesting recommendation.
2420 8 2018-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Pndamonium
lvl.2
Mexico

Hi Guys,

I've placed an order for a Osmo Mobile 2 with DJI but lately I've been watching reviews (bad and not so bad) regarding the use of the gimbal with an iPhone X. Some people say it's terrible due to the OSMO2 fighting the iphone's own stabilization system and other people say that it isn't really that bad.

So basically what I am asking you guys with the knowledge and experience, should I cancel my order? or keep it to wait until it's resolved? it really isn't that big of a deal?

What do you guys say?.

Thanks
Carlos
2018-3-1
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

There are indeed some mixed results, BUT you can always use the native iOS camera app for very stable footage and wait until DJI resolves the issue.
(that is a temporary fix, since you loose some of the GO features and the start / stop button)

It must be fixable (assumption on my part) because I have seen very decent footage with a iPhone 7 Plus that also has it's own stabilization.
2018-3-2
Use props
T Shane
lvl.1

United States

I read the same today, after receiving my OSMO Mobile 2 yesterday. My first test today confirmed that this might be an issue (only with the back camera due to its OIS on the iPhone X). I'm new to the gimbal game, so I'm learning  as I go. There are still a lot of features to use that will make this $129 gadget worthwhile, IMHO.
2018-3-2
Use props
c.grex
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4751 ft
United Kingdom

for me it's worth the money.
I have X and 7 plus and both suffer with a wobble effect sometimes due to OIS. It does vary if you use different resolution settings / the native camera app. The OIS is and will always be something you can't turn off. It does seem the problem can be improved with updates to either firmware or software. I just wouldn't count on updates from DJI for DJI Go, I've seen lots of software issues from the OSMO 1 not be sorted, and Go is still full of bugs and crashes every now and then, I also find it drains the battery far quicker than the iOS camera app.
2018-3-2
Use props
Joemar7
lvl.4
  • >>>
American Samoa

I own the iphone 8 plus.  From my own personal experience, you don't get smooth footage right out of the box.  The jitter will always be an issue with any gimbal you use with any iPhone with OIS.  Also, it depends how fast you pan the phone and movement etc., also plays a factor with the stabilization.  Some warp stabilization is always a plus but it doesn't fix the jitter.  I started using my old iphone 6s because it doesn't have OIS.  I'm not too happy downgrading to an older model.  In addition, I also use my Gopro Hero 6.  I'm using these alternatives because there is no way to bypass the OIS.  Sure you can use a magnet, but I read you can damage your phone.  I still use my iphone 8 plus and the OM2 only for timelapses.  For everyday stuff like vlogging  I guess the jitter is ok, but for a more professional look/work-  I would rather use a mirrorless/dslr camera with a gimbal.   
2018-3-2
Use props
TaxNL
New

Netherlands

I have an iPhoneX. The phone does not seem to fit properly into the DJO Osmo Mobile 2. The soft material protecting the phone is too thick. The phone is kept in place, but it looks like it can fall out easily.
DJI should look into this. It is not desirable and I think that more phone will have this issue.
Cheers
2018-3-2
Use props
Pndamonium
lvl.2
Mexico

Thank you all for your input.

It seems that the issues outweight the benefits you get after paying $129.

I understand that a little bit of work can help get better video even with the iPhone X but I was hoping to get something good right out of the box.
Since my plan was to  mostly use rear camera for personal video I can already make great wobbly and shaky videos in handheld mode on my own.
I think I will cancel my order and wait for a version that deals with OIS better.

Thanks again.
2018-3-2
Use props
c.grex
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4751 ft
United Kingdom

Pndamonium Posted at 2018-3-2 13:56
Thank you all for your input.

It seems that the issues outweight the benefits you get after paying $129.

Just be aware that image stabilisation on the iPhone X is not done just on software it's a hardware feature so no gimble will fix it or be able to turn it off.
2018-3-3
Use props
HPS
lvl.4
Flight distance : 457638 ft
Hong Kong

c.grex Posted at 2018-3-3 11:51
Just be aware that image stabilisation on the iPhone X is not done just on software it's a hardware feature so no gimble will fix it or be able to turn it off.

Just got the Osmo Mobile 2 yesterday and it really not working very well with the iPhone X...the movie is "wobble"....disappointed, hope DJI can release an update to fix it before my trip in late March. ...  
2018-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules