Litchi waypoint gimbal angle question
11209 10 2018-3-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Texas-Mark
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23002 ft
United States

I am trying to understand just what this means (from the Litchi iOS manual).

"For "Interpolate" to work, at least one neighboring waypoint needs to be set to "Interpolate" as well."

For example, if I have the gimbal for waypoint #1 set for POI #1, then I set waypoint #2 to "interpolate" at 0 degrees, is it not going to transition the gimbal back up to 0 degrees?  I thought the whole purpose of interpolate is to smoothly transition to another gimbal angle if you don't have another POI yet.

What I am trying to do is have the gimbal go back to 0 degrees between waypoints/POIs. I thought the following would work, but according that blurb above, it won't.

Waypoint 1 look at POI 1 (near the ground)
Waypoint 2 "interpolate" 0 degrees (move camera back up)
Waypoint 3 look at POI 2 (near the ground)
Waypoint 4 "interpolate" 0 degrees (move camera back up)
etc. etc.

Edit
After looking some more, is the proper way to do it, to set the gimbal mode to disabled for that waypoint, but set the camera angle to 0 degrees from the camera option dropdown instead?
2018-3-1
Use props
Amateur Droner
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6411 ft

United States

Hey Mark,
Have you tried to set all four waypoints  at "interpolate" then set which POI you want to look at for each one, and set the gimbal angle for each waypoint?

Waypoint 1 look at POI 1 (set gimbal at -45) down toward the ground ( angle depends on hieght of POI/AC)
Waypoint 3 look at POI 2 (set gimbal at -45)

If you disable the gimbal mode, then you would have to manually have to move it to what ever angle (toward the ground then back to 0 )
Not positive I am right, still learning the app and hub
2018-3-1
Use props
Texas-Mark
lvl.4
United States

What you describe above is what I wanted to do. But it says neighboring waypoints have to be set to interpolate. You can't select Interpolate and POI at the same time. It's one or the other. and POI automatically sets the angle which would not be easy if done manually.

Disabling auto gimbal "seems" to mean you need to use the controller. However, you also have the extra camera options (including the "set camera angle" option) that I think would over-ride that. I guess I will try it tomorrow and see what happens.  Just seems there has to be an easy way to have the camera move back to 0 degrees when you want it to, without having to set a "fake" POI right in front of a waypoint.

I ran my first (fairly simple) waypoint mission today and it worked perfectly, except I did not have the desired camera movements. I will say it had me on edge until I saw it on it's way back.
2018-3-1
Use props
fansb1fe1104
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3372566 ft
United States

Texas-Mark Posted at 2018-3-1 20:40
What you describe above is what I wanted to do. But it says neighboring waypoints have to be set to interpolate. You can't select Interpolate and POI at the same time. It's one or the other. and POI automatically sets the angle which would not be easy if done manually.

Disabling auto gimbal "seems" to mean you need to use the controller. However, you also have the extra camera options (including the "set camera angle" option) that I think would over-ride that. I guess I will try it tomorrow and see what happens.  Just seems there has to be an easy way to have the camera move back to 0 degrees when you want it to, without having to set a "fake" POI right in front of a waypoint.

The trick to that is to first choose Focus POI, it will show the camera angle tilt in degrees from where you have the camera pointed at the POI, lets say 45 degrees or whatever it is, after you have set it to the Focus POI then switch it to interpolate. You can achieve many very complex cinematic type shots using this method.
2018-3-2
Use props
Texas-Mark
lvl.4
United States

fansb1fe1104 Posted at 2018-3-2 00:56
The trick to that is to first choose Focus POI, it will show the camera angle tilt in degrees from where you have the camera pointed at the POI, lets say 45 degrees or whatever it is, after you have set it to the Focus POI then switch it to interpolate. You can achieve many very complex cinematic type shots using this method.

Yes, that is what I want to do. First focus on the first POI. Then as I move on to the next waypoint or POI, I want it to move the camera back to 0 degrees. So I set a second waypoint after I have moved past the first POI, and I thought setting it to interpolate 0 degrees would accomplish that. However, the blurb says that at least one more neighboring waypoint also has to be set to interpolate for it to work. That is the part that I don't understand and that does not really make any sense to me.
2018-3-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Texas-Mark Posted at 2018-3-2 05:14
Yes, that is what I want to do. First focus on the first POI. Then as I move on to the next waypoint or POI, I want it to move the camera back to 0 degrees. So I set a second waypoint after I have moved past the first POI, and I thought setting it to interpolate 0 degrees would accomplish that. However, the blurb says that at least one more neighboring waypoint also has to be set to interpolate for it to work. That is the part that I don't understand and that does not really make any sense to me.

If you have signal, you can manually set the camera to any angle you choose and you can rotate the drone to point wherever you like.
2018-3-2
Use props
Texas-Mark
lvl.4
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-3-2 05:57
If you have signal, you can manually set the camera to any angle you choose and you can rotate the drone to point wherever you like.

I don't want to do anything manually. That is the whole purpose of setting up a waypoint mission. At least it is for my use.
2018-3-2
Use props
Amateur Droner
lvl.4

United States

Texas-Mark Posted at 2018-3-2 06:05
I don't want to do anything manually. That is the whole purpose of setting up a waypoint mission. At least it is for my use.

I understand you don't want to manually move anything... the movements for me would be/are to jerky.
In the setup of:
Waypoint 1 look at POI 1 (set gimbal at -45) down toward the ground ( angle depends on hieght of POI/AC)
Waypoint 3 look at POI 2 (set gimbal at -45)

What I am thinking is, set your waypoints and your point of interests.
From WP1 you choose POI1, the height of your AC and POI will determine the gimbal angle for POI (let's say -47 degrees), but if you choose POI the gimbal will follow/look at the POI as it passes. Now if you choose a different POI at WP2 it should transition to look at POI 2 (again depends on  the height of your AC and POI will determine the gimbal angle ), lets say it is at -50 degrees (because your AC is higher at WP2).
But you still would not get 0 degree gimbal.
This is still only theory on my part.
2018-3-2
Use props
Texas-Mark
lvl.4
United States

I did a test waypoint flight today that mostly worked the way I wanted. I still am trying to figure out how to get the camera to point straight forward again after looking down at a POI with the least effort.

The interpolate "mode" would be perfect because it lets you set the gimbal degrees manually in the waypoint (i.e. 0 degrees). the problem is the user manual says you have to have a neighboring waypoint that is also set to interpolate. That is the part I don't understand. I am having a hard time understanding why you need two adjacent waypoints set the same way to make it work. I can work around the problem by inserting a POI at the same altitude of the drone in the flight path after the other POI, but that seems like a lot of extra work to accomplish what should be an easy thing.

My test flight was sort of funny because I accidentally set the POIs to -656 feet (I did not notice the slider goes negative). It made for an interesting video as it panned down way too soon and I was trying to figure out what the heck was going on.
2018-3-2
Use props
Texas-Mark
lvl.4
United States

After much googling and experimenting, I think I finally figured out how to get it to work the way I want. One of the issues I had that I also read other having was waypoints picking a POI even if you had selected none and saved it that way. This resulted in the camera facing a different direction than you may have wanted it to. Using auto heading will prevent that, but also causes problems with following a POI as you pass it.

So anyway, here is what works for me on my iPad.

1. Set the mission heading default to custom.
2. Set the default gimbal pitch to interpolate.
3. Place all of the waypoints first.
4. Manually change the heading of each waypoint to follow the direction route.
5. Place your POIs.
6. Pick the waypoints that you want to look at the POI and change them to Focus POI. The angles will change when you do this.
7. Change those waypoints back to interpolate. The previous angles will "stick"
8 Save the mission.

Now when you load it again, everything will still be set correctly and the drone will fly toward each waypoint (like auto would do) , but will also turn the camera toward the POI ONLY for the waypoints you set with step#5. It will then pan back around to the direction of the next waypoint and put the gimbal back at 0 degrees.  

Of course this is assuming you want the camera to always be facing forward and back up except when passing a POI.
2018-3-3
Use props
Amateur Droner
lvl.4

United States

Glad to hear you got the way you wanted!
I knew that it could be done, it is an awesome app. It is just figuring it all out.
Now I am waiting to see the video.
2018-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules